Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Has there ever been an actual expansion leak that was correct?

Like we see them popping up at a mass rate atm. But has there ever been an expansion leak that was exactly how it turned out to be?
    If so which expansion was that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

I'm sure there was.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help us, because there wasn't really anything to make that leak any more credible than all the other "leaks". You only know after the fact, and given that 99.99% of "leaks" are just people spouting BS it's better to simply treat them all as fake by default.

the highest amount of hits, both wrong and correct are directly before the press release. There is often a marketing or merchandize picture available on one of their business partners a few days before.

like shadowlands logo or bolvar picture.

Long written out leaks are mostly coincidences where certain paragraphs are good guesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Like we see them popping up at a mass rate atm. But has there ever been an expansion leak that was exactly how it turned out to be?
    WoD: https://www.engadget.com/2013-07-15-...patch-5-4.html
    BFA: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...as_isles_hint/
    Shadowlands: Multiple leaks got the name of the expansion correct.

I vaguely remember there was actually leaked art for Shadowlands featuring Bolvar, but I think that was mere days before the official announcement.

Beyond that, I don't think any of the dumb greentext or "my friend is a dev, dude trust me" posts have ever gotten anything right. Basically, the more detailed the "leak" the more likely it's bullshit.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Several actually. WoD and BFA come to mind. But there was also WOTLK and Cata, right?
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Shadowlands at least had their name and theme leaked.

The Lich King expansion leak was most commonly discussed here.

It's what made this site big. It's probably responsible for why we are all still here.

10+ Year Old Account
    But they are usually on the eve of the annoucement
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Well quick and effective way to see if a leak is real i would say is.

Do they claim to have a friend who works at Blizzard then its fake.

Maybe its just me but even if i got the leak from a friend that actually did work at Blizzard i still wouldnt tell where i got it from.

the 4chan shadowlands one was correct.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup there was a thread some months before the Shadowlands was announced where a guy leaked and everyone clowned him and then when it was announce they came back to that thread and kissed his ass.

All or almost all of them were leaked correctly.

It's just that there are a gazillion fake leaks that it's hard to notice. And then there are real leaks that are only partly correct but usually that can be explained by Blizzard changing their mind during development.

there have been several correct but usually only a short time before the actual announcement and always amongst many, many fakes
    I remember reading the WoD leak and then being really shocked that such a silly storyline turned out to be true

The Cataclysm leak was correct.

I remember because we laughed and laughed at the grotesque ideas of Tauren Paladins, Blood elves Warriors and Gnome Priests. Also a world revamp ? LoL !

There have been, but many are 'take with a grain of salt'.

I remember there was that one 'chinese' leaker who leaked Legion through a whole bunch of ambiguous riddles. In a certain way, everything was correct. In another way, everything was so up-to-interpretation that anyone can reasonably dismiss them all too.

Like the riddles talked about Demon Hunters and Illidan. Sure, got that right. Talked about being a commander. Well, that happened with Order Halls. But that's also loose enough to be skeptical about, since you never actually become a commander of anything, and just because it talked about Demon Hunters or Illidan could have just as easily been a lucky guess.

So really, it depends on what you believe in terms of any leak being 'correct'.

I think Mists was leaked correctly right? I remember being at blizzcon in the crowd when they were leading up to showing the video for it, and everyone had heard about it, and someone in the crowd shouted out "bring out the fuckin pandas!"

I'm not going to go digging through the leaks, but I remember it was posted here on MMO-C that Blizzard filed for a copyright for "MISTS OF PANDARIA". This was released about a month or so before that 2011 Blizzcon. And the fanbase was just in disbelief. Tons of threads and leaks about Panda's etc.. When Metzen finally revealed the truth at Blizzcon, it was such a sad time. MoP was the only expansion where the reaction was so lukewarm, they had to re-iterate that this wasn't fake, it's not a joke, and MoP really was the expansion.

This was probably the saddest Blizzcon moment until the "Don't you all have phones?!?!" Blizzcon where they revealed that shitty Diablo mobile game.

People tend to keep a close eye whenever a company file for trademarks, which is how Shadowlands was easily discovered.

Ironically on this very forum Overwatch was discovered and gaming news outlets picked up on this. At the time it was all speculation to what Overwatch could be.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...demark-appears

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11...hara-overwatch