Voters
214. This poll is closed
  • Yes

114 53.27%
  • No

100 46.73%
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Also define Toxicity. A group leader kicking you from a group after a wipe is not toxic. Not getting invited into a group is not toxic. Leaving an active m+ run... is it toxic?

Honestly, I've encountered hostile behaviour in WoW once in the last years. Only one case where a player did get insulting. Then again I play Alliance on EU, maybe that's a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    There are other games that don’t have this problem. The defense that this is some mystical unsolvable problem is just not in line with reality.
    Then go play other games. If you think it somehow applies, then really it doesn't.

WoW isn't other games. It doesn't mean those solutions apply to WoW.

I can say Candy Crush doesn't have any toxicity. Would anyone want WoW to solve toxicity by turning into Candy Crush? The solutions don't magically exist just because they aren't problems for other games.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-01-14 at 06:09 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, they're far too lenient with people breaking the rules and intended game design and have been since forever. You only bother to ignore so many til you notice it's not just a few outliers but a systemic problem. Unsurprisingly people go play something else since the devs here are too invested in cuddling their whales. It's really a 'CREAM' problem as it's a matter of prioritization.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

No, automatic systems suck. I often joking in in /1 gernal , while im raiding, sometimes the jokes are a bit weird (not racist/sexist/offensive) - but sometimes many people reporting me so i get muted for like 1 or 2 days, just for jokes they dont like.

Reports need to be checked by a real person, who understand the context. But toxicity should be punished hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Then go play other games. If you think it somehow applies, then really it doesn't.

I can say Candy Crush doesn't have any toxicity. Would anyone want WoW to solve toxicity by turning into Candy Crush? The solutions don't magically exist just because they aren't problems for other games.
    Ok, but some very similar games don't have this problem. FFXIV and GW2 comes to mind.

I also don't get the resistance, everyone would benefit of a less toxic community. This pushback in this thread is pretty counter productive tbh.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Yes, they need to adopt a zero tolerance policy, other MMORPGs handle this much better and actually ban toxic assholes who can't control their emotions and their words and those games are much more relaxing and pleasant to play. No wonder everyone left WoW.

Other game-as-service games with integrated player communities, including multiple other MMOs, don’t have this problem.

WoW is not some special snowflake that all the rules magically don’t apply to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Didn't you just say this:
    I don't experience it so it doesn't happen" isn't how grown ups deal with the real world.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've faced toxicity in a lot of games, I'm sure plenty of people have. WoW is no exception and it's probably worse than average, but still nothing compared to FPS games and LoL (the most popular PC games by a wide margin).

I'm not sure I would trust any company to hire competent people to actually police this stuff though. They are low-paying miserable jobs and even the major tech companies with infinite money suck at it.
    Direct competition games are always a shitshow as far as toxicity. But wow is mostly not a direct competition game, and the toxicity is bizarrely worse in pve than pvp.

That said, Riot is actually pretty aggressive about it.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Other game-as-service games with integrated player communities, including multiple other MMOs, don’t have this problem.

WoW is not some special snowflake that all the rules magically don’t apply to.
    Do you really not see the hypocrisy here lol? "I don't experience so it doesn't happen" is what you are doing with other games, all of which absolutely have toxicity.

Wow is not some special snowflake where all the harassment takes place.

And again, not drawing false equivalence that it is exactly the same everywhere, but there's no actual metric for any of this so it's all ultimately just hand-waving and anecdotes.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I think its hard. Its just like social media, hard to control. Playing some casual classic som and already seen 2 questionable named level 60's. Virgingirl and molestor. Yes thats the name for their 60 character. Kinda hilarious they even got to 60 let alone. A friend of mine apparently has a guildy named suckmyfatdick in his native langue

There will always be idiots online, and the systems just aint good enough to clean it all up. WHILE it also hurts innocent players potentially.
    The game is rated t for teen

Do you really not see the hypocrisy here lol? "I don't experience so it doesn't happen" is what you are doing with other games, all of which absolutely have toxicity.

Wow is not some special snowflake where all the harassment takes place.

And again, not drawing false equivalence that it is exactly the same everywhere, but there's no actual metric for any of this so it's all ultimately just hand-waving and anecdotes.
    I didn’t say no other games have toxicity. I said similar, comparable games generally do not have the kind of rampant, unstoppable, omnipresent type of toxicity wow has. WoW has a level of toxicity that is more similar to games like LoL, which is bizarre. Why would a pve game have the kind of toxicity we normally only see in direct competition games?

Please stop reaching for a really obnoxious “gotcha”.
    -ynnady

The drama just never seems to stop with World of Warcraft these days. Super happy I am playing FFXIV these days, cause now me and my buddies can just sit back with a box of Crunch-N-Munch and a glass of Big Red and just enjoy the WoW show.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Ok, but some very similar games don't have this problem. FFXIV and GW2 comes to mind.

I also don't get the resistance, everyone would benefit of a less toxic community. This pushback in this thread is pretty counter productive tbh.
    Was gonna go into a big rant, but just gonna say that those games are systematically different from WoW.

For whatever reason, Blizzard has decided to make the game's progression tied directly to the content and making it a grind. A lot of the reasons for toxicity to exist stem from the systems itself. Banning and enforcement is gonna be a bandaid on a deeper problem with the way the game has been designed, and the collective expectations around how content needs to be done 'effectively'.

Just banning the toxic outliers doesn't change the nature of the content breeding such bad behaviour. And I get it that some people will be assholes and should be dealt with, but again, that kind of thing still exists for 'other games that don't have this problem' regardless. Generally from what I've experienced, people are just more passive aggressive about it to avoid any reports or bans.

I personally think that a lot of the root issues with toxicity stems from the way Blizzard designs content and systems. And fundamentally, that's not gonna change any time soon, because it's all a part of how WoW is what it is.

Kinda like League of Legends addressing toxicity. No matter how many anti-toxicism systems they add and try to enforce, toxicity is still rampant in the game. It's a systematic issue.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-01-14 at 07:13 PM.

I didn’t say no other games have toxicity. I said similar, comparable games generally do not have the kind of rampant, unstoppable, omnipresent type of toxicity wow has. WoW has a level of toxicity that is more similar to games like LoL, which is bizarre. Why would a pve game have the kind of toxicity we normally only see in direct competition games?

Please stop reaching for a really obnoxious “gotcha”.
    That's not what you said until just this moment! You said "other games don't have this problem," which is at best dishonest. Every multiplayer game has this problem because they are played by human beings.

And again, there's no evidence for amounts of toxicity other than personal anecdotes. Most players don't experience "omnipresent toxicity" every time they log into the game, that is a cartoonish exaggeration.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

That's not what you said until just this moment! You said "other games don't have this problem," which is at best dishonest. Every multiplayer game has this problem because they are played by human beings.

And again, there's no evidence for amounts of toxicity other than personal anecdotes. Most players don't experience "omnipresent toxicity" every time they log into the game, that is a cartoonish exaggeration.
    Why bother lying about what I said? This is what I said:

"There are other games that don’t have this problem."

What do you get out of lying about it?
    -ynnady

Why bother lying about what I said? This is what I said:

"There are other games that don’t have this problem."

What do you get out of lying about it?
    "I didn't say other games don't have this problem, I said there are other games that don't have this problem!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    Maybe they should work on being less shit?

When the hell did we turn into a society that doesn't have standards? Yes people are going to be upset if you cause a major fuck up I don't see why a virtual world would have different social norms then the real one.
    Maybe. Or maybe not since it’s a game and not a second work.

Also labeling someone as trash has no added value both for the labeler and the labeled, because if the labeled don’t understand why he’s trash, he’ll never improve.

Not to count that a LOT of people label other trash when they are trash themselves. I lost count of dungeons failed because ppl exploded at every pull and they blamed me (the healer) while the next dungeon I’ve been cheered for my cool healing. So am I trash or am I cool?

One dude above said it right: WoW’s party activities are meant to be played with friends or within a good guild, else toxicity will sooner or later appear.

So glad I went back to D3 where no one cares about what I loot and how I do lot it.

Not per se. They should encourage players to be good to others instead. People will be toxic if they are toxic, most of them are probably adults anyway. Maybe with something to gain, they would be less inclined to insult.
    It's hard nowadays tbh, because a lot of ppl really really push for all things solo, forgetting that it was guilds and friends that made this good and safe.

"I didn't say other games don't have this problem, I said there are other games that don't have this problem!"

He's saying that I said other games don't have this problem, as in WoW is the ONLY game with this problem. That's not what I said. I said other games have solved this problems, not EVERY other game has solved this problem. Those are very, very different statements.
    -ynnady

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    This pushback in this thread is pretty counter productive tbh.
    Counterproductive indeed, but toxic people will of course push back against anything or anyone that might curb their crappy behaviour. Cue some "libertarian" phraseology on top, and you have a recipe for cringe.

Blizzard's automated systems being quite shoddy (to say the least) doesn't help either, and neither does the fact that they've fired a lot of CMs/GMs over the last few years.

He's saying that I said other games don't have this problem, as in WoW is the ONLY game with this problem. That's not what I said. I said other games have solved this problems, not EVERY other game has solved this problem. Those are very, very different statements.
    Other games haven't solved these problems because those other games aren't WoW. They're other games.

WoW is ultimately not going to be solved by the same 'solutions' that other games have implemented.

It's not like WoW will suddenly be as helpful as the FF14 community just because toxic players start getting banned. It's a systematic issue, it's a difference of community issue. And ultimately there are different types of toxicity being faced by different people. I don't think any game has really ever 'solved' the issue, since toxicity is always gonna be a thing no matter what online game we're talking about. It's just gonna be less apparent in certain games for whatever reasons are unique to that game.