10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck the rules, what matters is what the players do on the field, asking for even more ref interference is awful.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    like I said in another post, missed calls, bad calls those happen.. a whistle, that ref should have said hey guys I blew my whistle the play was dead, we have an inadvertent whistle so we have to replay the down. Wouldn't be the first time a play or even a scoring play was done over due to a whistle that shouldn't have been blown
    The refs were so bad they claimed that the whistle happened after the catch was made. Despite multiple replays with sound showing just how bad that statement was. Despite all of that the stink being raised isn't that bad. Why? Because there was an entire 2nd half where things could have changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    doesn't matter if it would have robbed them of a TD (it's happened before), players play till the whistle that's the rule, ref blew a whistle play is over. That ref should have the integrity to step up and say as such. https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...le-2.-the-ball
    Refs said the whistle happened after the catch. TD. Of course we all know that was wrong but that is the statement they gave after the game. Thus there is nothing that can be done because New York can not step in because inadvertent whistles cannot be reviewed. So it does not matter what the rulebook said if they stupidly rule the whistle happened after the catch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the audio was desync'd. Most sports have awful AV sync. Without a sound cue in the clip to confirm, who knows.

I bet the refs in this game are all scared as hell lol

- - - Updated - - -

Man I have watched multiple replays, but TB was open as hell, I don't think it would have mattered at all, and its was a really bad unnecessary whistle. Just let it play out and call it afterwards.

And here we go with the 'Brady is missing so many weapons!" storyline already in case they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Inflicted Wounds View Post
    I bet the refs in this game are all scared as hell lol

- - - Updated - - -

Man I have watched multiple replays, but TB was open as hell, I don't think it would have mattered at all, and its was a really bad unnecessary whistle. Just let it play out and call it afterwards.

And here we go with the 'Brady is missing so many weapons!" storyline already in case they lose.
    It's OK the refs will bail him out with bogus roughing the passer, pass interference, and offsides calls

Nice of the refs to show up for another game. Can't let everyone forget about them.

Oh no, he only has the best o-line in the league, 2 backup TEs that are better than a lot of teams starters, another HoF TE, an all pro WR and a RB that has been one of the better receiving backs most of his career. Can't expect him to win with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this game is going as expected. Hey, after the Eagles' horrible season start, just making the playoffs is good enough.

How about we call the false start on TB on that drive

15+ Year Old Account
    Sharing my experience just because it was a little weird and unique in terms of being completely neutral. I came in right after the raiders received the kickoff but they were still showing replays - no sound on and I actually didn't know if the score counted or there was a turnover on downs or what the situation was. My first thought was the debate was if he stepped out of bounds, which he obviously didn't, but before I ever knew about whistlegate it was noticeable how like half the players -including ones in the endzone- had already stopped moving before the score. It was weird. I can't say how much and I still haven't gone back to check replays. The only thing I haven't seen anyone mention since right after it happened was Brees saying he remembered hearing the whistle earlier when it was live than it came in replays.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2022-01-16 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    8 years in the Derek Carr thing and I can't really judge how he did this playoff game. He did some good things and bad things I guess. Good enough to stick?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. Not every day a QB throws a pick on 4th down in the endzone.

Also not every day a HC assigns a tight end to block Hendrickson by himself. Got to take those gimmies as they come.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn’t Patricas beard available?
    If Wilson stays in Seattle and Rodgers wins the Super Bowl and stays in Green Bay, absolutely Carr is staying in Vegas next year.

This is a horrible QB offseason if the star movement doesn't happen again, I don't think anyone out there is going to be better than league average (AKA Carr).
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Lol. Shady and Ref show continues. 30 yard gain nullified by a phantom holding call. Lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    If Wilson stays in Seattle and Rodgers wins the Super Bowl and stays in Green Bay, absolutely Carr is staying in Vegas next year.

This is a horrible QB offseason if the star movement doesn't happen again, I don't think anyone out there is going to be better than league average (AKA Carr).
    Wilson not going to Chicago was the rare outcome where all 4 sides lose because nothing good happened with russ or seattle, bears went nowhere, and Fields wasn't ready.
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    It's OK the refs will bail him out with bogus roughing the passer, pass interference, and offsides calls
    Yeah that happened on the second play lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Sharing my experience just because it was a little weird and unique in terms of being completely neutral. I came in right after the raiders received the kickoff but they were still showing replays - no sound on and I actually didn't know if the score counted or there was a turnover on downs or what the situation was. My first thought was the debate was if he stepped out of bounds, which he obviously didn't, but before I ever knew about whistlegate it was noticeable how like half the players -including ones in the endzone- had already stopped moving before the score. It was weird. I can't say how much and I still haven't gone back to check replays. The only thing I haven't seen anyone mention since right after it happened was Brees saying he remembered hearing the whistle earlier when it was live than it came in replays.
    I didn't watch it live so I appreciate you pointing that out. I only saw the hubub here and on Twitter, so I immediately looked at replays and it looked completely fine. I hope the NFL isn't doctoring audio and video.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Lol. Shady and Ref show continues. 30 yard gain nullified by a phantom holding call. Lol
    Yeah he was clearly already falling.

With the billions of dollars the NFL makes, I don't know why they can't pay refs to be fulltime and not trash garbage part-timers flying in from their jobs as lawyers or whatever the fuck every game to make calls on a whim.

The players have to study tape all week to put a product worth billions on the field, the refs should be in sessions all week on what is a penalty, what isn't a penalty, and practicing some live drills, maybe even at the practices of NFL teams.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    With the billions of dollars the NFL makes, I don't know why they can't pay refs to be fulltime and not trash garbage part-timers flying in from their jobs as lawyers or whatever the fuck every game to make calls on a whim.

The players have to study tape all week to put a product worth billions on the field, the refs should be in sessions all week on what is a penalty, what isn't a penalty, and practicing some live drills, maybe even at the practices of NFL teams.
    It's what I've been saying for years as have many others. Full time refs, Train the fuck out of them, hire younger refs. Create a REF school for pro refs and hell even college refs. Make offciating as solid as possible, it is worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

The most realistic answer is the NFL doesn't care if the refs are bad. If they did, something would have been done already.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tbh eagles are doing better than I expected

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't watch it live so I appreciate you pointing that out. I only saw the hubub here and on Twitter, so I immediately looked at replays and it looked completely fine. I hope the NFL isn't doctoring audio and video.
    Just to be clear that’s only something I saw randos on fb mentioning, it could easily be that it became clear he was wrong and that’s why it went away. And while it already looks like they’re pulling some bs by claiming the whistle was after the score, the review brees was referring to would presumably have been within 5 minutes and that seems too soon to start trying to doctor stuff to fit a narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    That would've robbed the Bengals of an obvious touchdown for no good reason though. The whistle didn't have any noticable impact on the outcome of the play. They made the right call by not having them redo the down.
    That whistle doesn't go, Moehrig doesn't slow down and knocks Boyd out the back of the end zone. He might catch it, but in bounds? You even see him pull up his run while the ball is still in flight.

So no, it's not obvious.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    That whistle doesn't go, Moehrig doesn't slow down and knocks Boyd out the back of the end zone. He might catch it, but in bounds? You even see him pull up his run while the ball is still in flight.

So no, it's not obvious.
    You can argue it until you're blue in the face. You have more of a problem with it than the players/coaches on the Raiders. If it was such an egregious fuckup it would have had as much traction as many other famous fuckups like the 'No Call in NOLA' a few years ago. It doesn't have that traction, it was a weird flukey thing and a ref fuckup but Raiders had chances to come back and didn't do it. Let. It. Go.