214. This poll is closed
  • Yes

114 53.27%
  • No

100 46.73%
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    I literally do this, and think like that. I am not nobody, and I am not alone.

Maybe the reason you don't hear people say stuff like this is because you're part of the problem?
    I don't know mate. It must take some pretty thin skin to go around worrying about how other people should be behaving all the time. When I decide to play an MMO, other peoples feelings don't come into my decision making process. As for how I interact with others, that's on me. When I encounter assholes, I use the options available to me to remove them from my game experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
    I don't know mate. It must take some pretty thin skin to go around worrying about how other people should be behaving all the time. When I decide to play an MMO, other peoples feelings don't come into my decision making process. As for how I interact with others, that's on me. When I encounter assholes, I use the options available to me to remove them from my game experience.
    You got me all wrong. I don't give a fuck how others behave, if they bring shame to themselves, that's on them.

But I choose not to be a part of an environment where toxicity is encouraged and thrives, and found somewhere much better. I just walked away, like many others before me.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    You got me all wrong. I don't give a fuck how others behave, if they bring shame to themselves, that's on them.

But I choose not to be a part of an environment where toxicity is encouraged and thrives, and found somewhere much better. I just walked away, like many others before me.
    If only you would stay away rather then haunt us.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Discussing tactics and stuff is perfectly fine. Talking shit about others isn't.
    It also isn't toxic stating obvious things like "healer druid died 5 times in a row".
    What is toxic is saying "healer druid sucks, he died 5 times in a row".
    And before you reply, yes, there is a HUGE difference between those two sentences.
    I agree, but sadly a lot of people don't see this as different, and thats what is scary about "taking a tougher stance on toxicity." People in this thread have already said pointing out bad performance tactfully is still toxicity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    If only you would stay away rather then haunt us.
    Sorry, didn't realize you were the boss of the forums, my bad.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Doesn't feel good to be in the receiving end of toxicity, does it? Pedagogy is a thing

Btw, what @kaminaris said just above.
    I know you were thinking you did something here, but you didn't.

I don't know what is worse, your extreme hypocrisy and violent threats, or your massive assumptions here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    OW is such a bad example and it actually goes against your argument. Blizz never took a hard stance on toxicity banning in OW. Kaplan kept trying to make Blizz adopt a stronger ban system but all they did was ban players from competitive play and they could go into free play and arcade even with their bans on competitive play so you're really not solving the problem.

You start banning people and taking it seriously, I guarantee you people will change. League has seen success with this as it's now fallen below it's toxicity rating since they started their team to monitor this behavior and issue bans.
    Does a website exist to monitor "toxicity rating" or is this an anecdote.

I login to kill shit and I'm really fucking good at it. Nobody is ever toxic to me, because:
    a) they have no merit since I play at a superior level. Even if I do make a mistake, I'm still playing at a higher level so nobody has the right to call out my mistakes while they're the weak link.
    b) they run the risk of me leaving.

Maybe if the crybabies spent less time whining about how mean everyone is to them, and instead used that free time to improve their gameplay they'd find out that the game is a lot less toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    I had a GM in EQ keep summoning me as a lvl 1 warrior human named Vtech and the entire reason was because I was named after another company. He made me change my name. That was in 2003.

They had to have bought boosts. Then again not many people are out in the world leveling so could've flown under the radar.
    Or people just dont fucking care as much as the tiny minority of thin skinned clowns do.

I login to kill shit and I'm really fucking good at it. Nobody is ever toxic to me, because:
    a) they have no merit since I play at a superior level. Even if I do make a mistake, I'm still playing at a higher level so nobody has the right to call out my mistakes while they're the weak link.
    b) they run the risk of me leaving.

Maybe if the crybabies spent less time whining about how mean everyone is to them, and instead used that free time to improve their gameplay they'd find out that the game is a lot less toxic.
    So you intentionally put yourself in a situation where you know, without a doubt, you will be the "superior player"? Kinda sounds like you just have confidence issues playing with equally skilled players. Sounds to me like you are afraid that if you remove your crutch, if you play with equals, they might hurt your feelings by saying mean things to you, and you wont have a comeback. Almost like you are so afraid of the toxicity in game, you actively avoid it by playing with inferior players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So you intentionally put yourself in a situation where you know, without a doubt, you will be the "superior player"? Kinda sounds like you just have confidence issues playing with equally skilled players. Sounds to me like you are afraid that if you remove your crutch, if you play with equals, they might hurt your feelings by saying mean things to you, and you wont have a comeback. Almost like you are so afraid of the toxicity in game, you actively avoid it by playing with inferior players.
    There is a limit to how well you can play. Its called a skill cap or skill ceiling. I've just reached that limit and most people recognize it.

I think people need to take a tougher stance on getting upset over online crap

Quote Originally Posted by Self Inflicted Wounds View Post
    I agree, but sadly a lot of people don't see this as different, and thats what is scary about "taking a tougher stance on toxicity." People in this thread have already said pointing out bad performance tactfully is still toxicity.
    bad performance is bad performance
    being toxic is being toxic

Imagine calling 95% of playerbase "toxic", holy shit the delusions.

And who sets the standards? You? Blizzard? Maybe we refer to 99% line so anyone who is below top 10 world is bad and automatically toxic?
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Calling someone toxic is no different than calling someone bad. They're both insults. One is directed at your gameplay and the other is at your personality. Calling someone toxic is the only win they feel they can achieve. Its like someone poor calling everyone rich douchebags. Or a weak person calling a buff person a tool. Winners only care about winning and doing whatever it takes to win. Losers just look for any excuse they can find.

There just isn't really a point to pushing that hard in pugs. I know some people stick to 20s but a lot pug 1-4 mythic 15s a week at most. If you raid at mythic or even rival-duelist level in pvp that isn't very demanding content.

Toxic behavior tends to exist outside of this bubble. I have seen some toxic 15 pugs sure but there isn't really a sense of loss of that levels since finding a new group takes seconds even as a dps.

The truth of the matter is wow already has its toxic community handled. They only group with other toxic players the rest are already mostly sealed away from the community in raid guilds.

- - - Updated - - -

bad performance is bad performance
    being toxic is being toxic

Imagine calling 95% of playerbase "toxic", holy shit the delusions.

And who sets the standards? You? Blizzard? Maybe we refer to 99% line so anyone who is below top 10 world is bad and automatically toxic?
    Players always set the standards without fail. When blizzard tries to blur it the players fall back on other tools like raider io. Most players in wow are toxic... they don't know how to play or demand you accept their unacceptable level of play for the content they strive to do. It is why lfr to this day is infamous for having dps players dealing below 1k dps.

The wow community has already crushed toxicity we simplify seal it off in low level mythic keys, lfr, and unrated pvp. There is festers rotting in the dark away from the rest of the community.

What happened to the Golden Rule, you know: Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Or: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

You can pretty much anything if you say it with a modicum of tact and grace.

There is a limit to how well you can play. Its called a skill cap or skill ceiling. I've just reached that limit and most people recognize it.
    No one has reached that level on an even remotely consistent basis - some might get CLOSE to it on very infrequent occasions, but not you. So you are better than all the world first raiders combined? All the multi R1 glad players? You would be by far the greatest WoW player of all time if anything you said was even remotely true.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    Players always set the standards without fail. When blizzard tries to blur it the players fall back on other tools like raider io. Most players in wow are toxic... they don't know how to play or demand you accept their unacceptable level of play for the content they strive to do. It is why lfr to this day is infamous for having dps players dealing below 1k dps.

The wow community has already crushed toxicity we simplify seal it off in low level mythic keys, lfr, and unrated pvp. There is festers rotting in the dark away from the rest of the community.
    Are you listening to yourself?

"community" didn't crush shit. Also it's not "we", do not assume you are the in the "better" part of it.

There are always better players than you, which according to your logic should have "sealed" you in low level M+ keys, lfr and urated pvp, where again, according to your logic, you belong.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Calling someone toxic is no different than calling someone bad. They're both insults. One is directed at your gameplay and the other is at your personality. Calling someone toxic is the only win they feel they can achieve. Its like someone poor calling everyone rich douchebags. Or a weak person calling a buff person a tool. Winners only care about winning and doing whatever it takes to win. Losers just look for any excuse they can find.
    Exactly! And the losers act in a way online that they would never dare act IRL, as they perfectly well know that they would be shunned by even their loser friends if they behaved in such a way IRL...
    Deep inside they are perfectly aware that they are disrespectful, selfish, entitled and cause grief in others, but instead of bettering themselves they throw out insults at those whose in-game experience they make toxic.
    Last edited by T-34; 2022-01-18 at 07:06 AM.

And who sets the standards? You?
    If it is my group, yes, me. I will make my expectations clear when i pug, and if someone consistently fails to meet that standard, i will give them one ore more PRIVATE warnings, and if it continues, i will politely ask them to leave, but again, privately. Now if its LFR, or a random bg, for example, the standard is set by blizzard - possibly its that you need to be max level, or you need a certain ilvl, and thats it. So long as they play within the rules (not griefing etc) i really dont care what other players do - its not my group, and they have every right to be there.

The above is one situation where toxicity seems to thrive - when you throw a random mix of people together, with vastly different play-style, ability, and often very different motivations. I know more than a few people who only play random bgs when 'under the influence' of the devils lettuce, and play hysterically badly. I am sure someone who went into that BG to get one more win, or to top the meters or whatever competitive mindset they have will be pissed off, however there are multiple systems designed specifically for their preferred mindset, and a random BG is not one of them.

I once watched a tank throw an EPIC tantrum in a timewalking dungeon because the other players didnt have full "TW" sets ie the legos and trinkets and socketed gear from that expansion. He was absolutely livid that people would come to a TW dungeon without min/maxing their toons first. This tantrum lasted for quite a while, before they finally gave up and left the group - without killing a mob. They were replaced by some dude in questing greens, and we knocked the dungeon out without issue. Well, from memory, one death, but no wipes.

Now things get a bit different when some guy queues up for a M+10 (for example) and clearly lacks the knowledge or ability or clarity of mind (im looking at you, marry jane) to effectively contribute to the group - that to me is a different scenario to random groups like TW, LFR, heroic, normals, and random bgs.

EDIT - just one last thing, none of this is new. In the master looter days, it was VERY common, at least on the servers i played on, to see adverts like "LFM XYZ raid - 2k dps or no loot". It was never really a fair system, since tanks and healers kind of got a free pass, but it was the common method for weeding out the less than desirable players.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-01-18 at 07:13 AM.

If it is my group, yes, me. I will make my expectations clear when i pug, and if someone consistently fails to meet that standard, i will give them one ore more PRIVATE warnings, and if it continues, i will politely ask them to leave, but again, privately. Now if its LFR, or a random bg, for example, the standard is set by blizzard - possibly its that you need to be max level, or you need a certain ilvl, and thats it. So long as they play within the rules (not griefing etc) i really dont care what other players do - its not my group, and they have every right to be there.
    The part about setting group expectations were explained here:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53550327

The guy i responded to seems to be convinced that there are "good players" and "bad players" (in general sense), also assumed he is the the good part.
    So the rhetoric question was who draws the line between those "two groups".

And yes I am aware that there are players that sign up for groups clearly above their skill but you can replace those people without being a dick.
    AND if you want to be 100% percent sure, you just don't play with random people build a "friends network" to run keys with.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV