Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    An *extremely* watered down version of WoW? It's possible, sure, but it wouldn't even really be remotely close to the WoW everyone knows.

How do you pop trinkets? How do you hit the plethora of buttons you can/do hit now on a keyboard?
    You seem quite confused here - many other mmos with as many or more abilities are on console, including FF. Your comment about "how would you use a trinket?" Tells me you have next to no clue about the subject - literally just have a keybind for the slot, like every other MMO / rpg ever for decades.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    WoW with a controller? Yikes. I'd imagine you need to trim WoW's fat a lot, to make it viable. We have so many abilities and spells, each with their own buttons and hotkeys. What would PvP, or any of the more movement-oriented bosses look like?

Then there is also the fear, that WoW in PC would need to be made with console compatibility in mind, going forward. What that would mean for an ancient game like WoW, I've no idea. But it would always lurk in the background; "Is this designed like this for the PC, because of the consoles?"

However it would turn out, I think it's safe to say, that there is definitely no cross-play between PC and consoles.
    Why do people think this? Wow has bugger all buttons, even compared to FF.........Which is on console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    But in FF14's case console functionality absolutely hamstrings the game in some regards, namely, EVERYTHING has to be slowed down to allow it to be practical to play on a controller.
    Controller does not slow gameplay. You can play other MMOs with controller and they run just fine. FFXIV's input delay seems to be the result of bad coding.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering that the GCD is only 1 second and we have way more buttons than XIV does it simply wouldn't work unless they cut down on the amount of buttons or they make the GCD longer. Neither of which would feel good to be honest.
    WoW rotations require fewer buttons than FFXIV. WoW would work wonderfully on controller using the cross hotbar setup (which wasn't patented because Yoshida wanted to leave the door open for other devs to use it).

- - - Updated - - -

Of course if you can play on consoles with KB/M there are no issues.
    It's hard for me to go back to playing MMOs with mouse & keyboard. I prefer being able to lean back in my chair and relax.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    It would be huge if WoW went to consoles.
    I'm not too sure about that. WoW hasn't been attracting new players in years. If WoW got a console port, how many Nintendo and Xbox players would actually be interested in trying out WoW? Ofcourse some will join but I don't think you would see a surge in players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    you will still not be as effective as someone with a keyboard and mouse.
    I feel like in FFXIV, I do better with a controller than with a keyboard. Only real problem are ground target AoEs.

Well I told you it will coming to consoles, but you laughed at me and basically called me a liar, well now its true , Microsoft have bought Blizzard

Activision Blizzard will report to Phil Spencer as CEO

"Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from their catalogue"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioz10 View Post
    Well I told you it will coming to consoles, but you laughed at me and basically called me a liar, well now its true , Microsoft have bought Blizzard

Activision Blizzard will report to Phil Spencer as CEO

"Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from their catalogue"
    Still doesn't mean WoW will.
    You need way too many buttons to some of the classes for it to be remotely viable on console. And that's not even speaking of healers who needs to be able to quickly target any member of the group / raid

Of course it will, just look at Final Fantasy, Just watch this space, Keyboards and Mouse can be easily fitted to consoles now

- - - Updated - - -

blizz added controller support to wow in 9.0 then smokescreened us with conduit energy so we'd be too busy being hacked off to connect the dots

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You need way too many buttons to some of the classes for it to be remotely viable on console. And that's not even speaking of healers who needs to be able to quickly target any member of the group / raid
    I play ff14 on my ps5 with a mouse/keyboard connected to my system, so that wouldn’t be that big of a issue.
    Then there also the whole mapping functions to the buttons,

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not quite understanding why people would want to play WoW on a console though. Surely it's just easier and cheaper to buy a computer of similar specs? Maybe someone can explain what the appeal is?

Edit: I mean I guess I'd understand if you only have a console and not a computer, but surely the amount of people in that position is extremely small?
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2022-01-19 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I'm not quite understanding why people would want to play WoW on a console though. Surely it's just easier and cheaper to buy a computer of similar specs? Maybe someone can explain what the appeal is?
    For me, I prefer gaming in my recliner and playing on my 4k tv.

I've done it with a computer before, but it's awkward using a keyboard and mouse.

Basically, it's just simpler and easier to play on a console with a controller (and more quiet).

The keybinding and UI really isnt an issue. FF14 shows it can be done and work well.

It's also easier to get other people to try it if its on console (even easier if it's on game pass and sub is gone)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post

I've done it with a computer before, but it's awkward using a keyboard and mouse.

Basically, it's just simpler and easier to play on a console with a controller (and more quiet).

The keybinding isn't really that much of an issue. FF14 shows it can be done and work well.

It's also easier to get other people to try it if its on console (even easier if it's on game pass and sub is gone)
    Okay, thanks for the insight. How about if you wanted to raid and needed to be on a voice comm (for example Discord)? It seems overly complicated to get all of that working etc.

Why do people think playing on an controller is something crazy. It not much different than a gaming mouse..

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, thanks for the insight. How about if you wanted to raid and needed to be on a voice comm (for example Discord)? It seems overly complicated to get all of that working etc.
    Technically WoW has its own voice comm, it’s not bad either but you’d have to convince the WoW community or resort to using Discord on your phone.

Doesn’t WoW have gamepad support? Could’ve sworn there was a WoWhead article on it.

I mean, consoles have built in voice comms...

I guess I could see it being an issue if people leading the raid are using discord, but also there are a lot of people that play FF14 from PS4/5 and raid and seem to make it work.

If need be you could put discord on your phone/ipad/laptop, etc and connect a headset.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Technically WoW has its own voice comm, it’s not bad either but you’d have to convince the WoW community or resort to using Discord on your phone.

Doesn’t WoW have gamepad support? Could’ve sworn there was a WoWhead article on it.
    It does have gamepad support as of SL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post

Yeah I remember them adding official support for gamepads too but as the OP wrote earlier, it seems it kinda went under the radar or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You can easily play WoW with a controller. People already do it with a combination of mods. You will definitely be at a disadvantage at end level content but the other 99% of the game you can enjoy perfectly fine with a controller.

Btw, you can plug and play a MKB into the usb on the xbox and it works perfectly fine. Each game needs to be setup by the developer though from my experience. Obviously console WoW would support MKB so it doesnt really matter.

They could also just slap "requires mouse and keyboard" on the game. And look at that. Suddenly Microsoft can now setup a new line of products to sell to make even more money. The Official Xbox Mouse and the Official Xbox Keyboard. They already did something similar with Razer a few years ago but it was a little pricey and not many games could use MKB yet.

I dont know if WoW is going to Xbox or not. However, if I were forced to bet right now yes or no, I would bet that it is coming. Xbox has been trying to get FF14 on their platform for years now. They desperately want a top tier MMO on their platform. They now own the biggest MMO in the world. They can now sell more affordable MKB designed specially for the Xbox and start attracting more of the MMO market to get on their platform. Anyone that wants to play MMOs without a gaming PC can do so on the Xbox. Thats not a big deal to most of the posters on this forum, im sure the overwhelming majority of the people that frequent here have gaming PCs. But for people that only have consoles, that is a very big deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, consoles have built in voice comms...

I guess I could see it being an issue if people leading the raid are using discord, but also there are a lot of people that play FF14 from PS4/5 and raid and seem to make it work.

If need be you could put discord on your phone/ipad/laptop, etc and connect a headset.
    Well as you said, if they could make it work on consoles I don't really see any negative side to it either. More people will try the game, especially if it were on game pass and the sub removed.

That's something you can already do with WoW etc...

Give WoW will require a keyboard, a PC will be the optimal way to play it until it dies.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

As long as they don't make the whole game slower to accommodate the controller players, I don't see a problem with it. You can play WoW fine with controller. But on high-end content it is at a slight disatvantage. (mainly target switching and quick interrupting in big pulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    You can easily play WoW with a controller. People already do it with a combination of mods. You will definitely be at a disadvantage at end level content but the other 99% of the game you can enjoy perfectly fine with a controller.

Btw, you can plug and play a MKB into the usb on the xbox and it works perfectly fine. Each game needs to be setup by the developer though from my experience. Obviously console WoW would support MKB so it doesnt really matter.

They could also just slap "requires mouse and keyboard" on the game. And look at that. Suddenly Microsoft can now setup a new line of products to sell to make even more money. The Official Xbox Mouse and the Official Xbox Keyboard. They already did something similar with Razer a few years ago but it was a little pricey and not many games could use MKB yet.

I dont know if WoW is going to Xbox or not. However, if I were forced to bet right now yes or no, I would bet that it is coming. Xbox has been trying to get FF14 on their platform for years now. They desperately want a top tier MMO on their platform. They now own the biggest MMO in the world. They can now sell more affordable MKB designed specially for the Xbox and start attracting more of the MMO market to get on their platform. Anyone that wants to play MMOs without a gaming PC can do so on the Xbox. Thats not a big deal to most of the posters on this forum, im sure the overwhelming majority of the people that frequent here have gaming PCs. But for people that only have consoles, that is a very big deal.
    New consoles also rival expensive gaming pc's at $500 (if you can get one)

Also FF14 is coming to Xbox, it's been confirmed. Square fairly recently said it's something they're going to work on after they release Endwalker

I'd guess it'll come out right after they fix their congested servers. So either this fall or next spring.

Can't see it really being too hard of a thing for them to do considering it's on Windows and all the console UI work has already been done on PS4.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have mixed feelings about WoW in Xbox.
    In one hand, many gamers with shitty hardware or with no PC at all could join in.
    On the other, how would they implement such a port? we know Blizzard has been working for ages now in a mode to port keyboard/mouse to a console controller.

The only way I think this could be possible is if the Xbox version is going to need a mouse/keyboard to play, Xbox OS is just a light version of windows 10 anyways
    and with the Series s and x being basically a basic gaming machines (both have Ryzen cpus) is totally possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I mean I guess I'd understand if you only have a console and not a computer, but surely the amount of people in that position is extremely small?
    Maybe people who have laptops with no GPU and/or with shitty/outdated hardware?

The new series consoles run a custom Ryzen APU so is not a brain killer, even Xbox OS is just a midified version of windows 10.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Why do people think playing on an controller is something crazy. It not much different than a gaming mouse..
    Because playing WoW requires more than a mouse? Honestly... in order to play effectively, you need more keybinds than a controller can allot for. It's not that playing with a controller is crazy, it's just not something you could feasibly do with the current state of WoW player and ability mechanics are concerned. Sure, they could strip it down I suppose and make it doable, but I think that would kill it for most people.