Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damrodrial View Post
    We just going to say nothing while a guy compares Game Pass to the PlayStation Store, as if they're remotely the same thing? MrLachyG, you clearly have no idea what Game Pass is O.o
    lol you clearly didn't read what I replied to. either that or you're the OP who created a burner account just to, I dunno, have someone support him?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    MS doesn't care about this stuff..

They bought Bethesda and ActiBlizz simply to get more people on their GamePass service, they don't care if you play on PC or on Xbox.
    Sony is still huge and will continue to be, and will continue to do what they do, but to me it seems like MS is simply focusing on their games as a service more rather than consoles

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Would PS remain the majority of the market if Xbox were the only destination to play CoD though? That's a legitimate question. Sony dominated the last generation on the back of its superior exclusives like Spider-man and God of War. It wouldn't be a crazy move for Xbox to attempt to do the same.
    I think CoD is already struggling (relatively obviously), making a dwindling user base buy a console they don't have and likely don't want isn't going to increase numbers for Xbox or the developer/publisher. PS is also the majority of the market in foreign countries by a huge margin, in the US it's closer but we are talking 50% vs 35%(Nintendo) vs 15% as an overall market share. PS completely owns the market, they aren't going anywhere.

Blizz is likely not the target of this acquisition, if anything they get Battlenet which is LEAGUES better than Gamepass in a distribution and functionality sense and the Blizz IPs aren't really console moving games. Activision on the other hand has console IPs that may attract buyers to Gamepass and Xbox, but we are talking minimal titles here. Xbox would need to buy Nintendo to really drive a shift, because Nintendo doesn't whore out their games to anyone. If Xbox went after say a 2k games... they'd be out of their mind to exclusive those titles because they'd lose user base and NBA games which are a huge seller and system mover aren't going to allow their games to go single platform, especially the smallest platform.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2022-01-19 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    lol you clearly didn't read what I replied to. either that or you're the OP who created a burner account just to, I dunno, have someone support him?
    Oh, no, OP is clearly nutso. PlayStation and Tencent aren't going anywhere, they still have a higher revenue than Xbox as a publisher. I'm just a decade long lurker who had to say something about this bad comparison.

You compared the number of games available through Game Pass to the number of games a person can purchase through the PlayStation store. This is like comparing the number of games on Game Pass to the number of games I can walk into a Wal-Mart and purchase. They're not remotely the same thing. The proper comparison is Game Pass and PS Now, where Game Pass clearly wins.
    Last edited by Damrodrial; 2022-01-19 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Wrong PS service!

as others said not a chance, at some point consoles might be nothing more than controllers to a cloud system but yeah there will be a PS6
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh, no, OP is clearly nutso. PlayStation and Tencent aren't going anywhere, they still have a higher revenue than Xbox as a publisher. I'm just a decade long lurker who had to say something about this bad comparison.

You compared the number of games available through Game Pass to the number of games a person can purchase through the PlayStation store. This is like comparing the number of games on Game Pass to the number of games I can walk into a Wal-Mart and purchase. They're not remotely the same thing. The proper comparison is Game Pass and PS Now, where Game Pass clearly wins.
    I mean OP basically said that the amount of games on the Game Pass far surpassed anything that Playstation had. which was why I used those figures to prove him wrong. It is kinda hard to make that comparison because, and I might be wrong here, but I don't think Playstation has anything like Game Pass (if it does then egg on my face then) but yeah if it doesn't then the comparison stands because it was what I had to work with

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean OP basically said that the amount of games on the Game Pass far surpassed anything that Playstation had. which was why I used those figures to prove him wrong. It is kinda hard to make that comparison because, and I might be wrong here, but I don't think Playstation has anything like Game Pass (if it does then egg on my face then) but yeah if it doesn't then the comparison stands because it was what I had to work with
    OP wasn't wrong on that front; Game Pass is far better than the closest service PlayStation has, PlayStation Now. The PlayStation and Xbox stores are pretty much identical, exclusives aside (I have a PS5 and XsX, I'm not partisan). PlayStation is said to be creating a service that'll better compete with Game Pass (re: Spartacus), but at this moment, MS has Sony beat in this regard.

I love all this stuff Microsoft is doing but Sony still is number one for the video game market worldwide even bigger than Tencent so stop doom and glooming. Plus Sony can put gamepass on their platform Microsoft is a 100% willing to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

OP wasn't wrong on that front; Game Pass is far better than the closest service PlayStation has, PlayStation Now. The PlayStation and Xbox stores are pretty much identical, exclusives aside (I have a PS5 and XsX, I'm not partisan). PlayStation is said to be creating a service that'll better compete with Game Pass (re: Spartacus), but at this moment, MS has Sony beat in this regard.
    Just wait until they add World of Warcraft at no additional cost to game pass and it blows everybody's mind of course you're going to hear all the MMO white Knights bitching about it but it is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I love all this stuff Microsoft is doing but Sony still is number one for the video game market worldwide even bigger than Tencent so stop doom and glooming. Plus Sony can put gamepass on their platform Microsoft is a 100% willing to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wait until they add World of Warcraft at no additional cost to game pass and it blows everybody's mind of course you're going to hear all the MMO white Knights bitching about it but it is going to happen.
    I really hope so! I haven't played WoW since 2015, but it'd be fun to revisit on Game Pass.

Gotta wonder if this will light a fire under Sony for a big deal. They bought a couple smaller studios after the Bethesda purchase from Microsoft, I could see Sony saying lets buy something like Square Enix. Either way this deal does not impact me at all. I have a Ps5 and Switch for their respective exclusives and I have Gamepass for my PC which can easily play everything that Microsoft releases.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't agree with the OP statement/assumption/ question that Sony or PlayStation going anywhere -

But I do wonder...ok maybe not wonder really but find it interesting - related to the thread topic:

MS announces Xbox One has stopped production entirely and they are only focusing on producing their Newest.

But Sony announces that due to ps5 shortages, they are actually increasing their ps4 production by a million units to sell those to 'fill the gap' (I guess...). Which is shitty for any consumer at this point who is tricked (and I do think it would be out of ignorance) into buying an old ps4 while 'waiting' for a ps5... ugg.

Just a weird... way of handling the 'shortage' issue - between the two companies. Seems like MS way makes more sense but *shrugs*

(Again, in no way saying I think, at all, Sony is done with consoles or Play station - just found the related moves interesting.)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

This is almost as weird as hearing a few people think Sony will buy out Nintendo.

Almost.

This will definitely be more income for Microsoft and a win in general, but if they were going to restrict titles to their consoles, Minecraft would have been the place to start. But Minecraft Dungeons even came out on all systems. Maybe if they saw a chance for it to be a net gain for them by making the next CoD Xbox exclusive, but I doubt it. At most, probably will see the return of DLC dropping early for Xbox users.

15+ Year Old Account
    You dweebs forget cod 1 was pc and cod 2 was pc and 360. Cod just being on xbox and pc isnt that weird

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You dweebs forget cod 1 was pc and cod 2 was pc and 360. Cod just being on xbox and pc isnt that weird
    Minecraft was also just on PC, so?

The point is it would be weird to have less sources of income when there's another platform they can sell on, and that they're already selling on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

The point is it would be weird to have less sources of income when there's another platform they can sell on, and that they're already selling on.
    If companies cared about that, exclusives wouldn't exist. Ms would get more money putting cod on gamepass than boxed ps5 sales

Yet we've seen MS do exactly that. Starfield will be exclusive, as will TES going forward. Exclusives suck, but they basically power a console these days.

Yet we've seen MS do exactly that. Starfield will be exclusive, as will TES going forward. Exclusives suck, but they basically power a console these days.
    They always did. Halo sold Xboxes for years. "PS3 has no games" was a meme about exclusives. Nintendo consoles are consistently behind the competition on a power front, but they're the only place to play Mario and Zelda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

A very bad conclusion, but some of the takes in this thread are even worse.

Sony isn't profiting from console sales. They have had healthy profit margins the last few years, but haven't seen much growth. Their debt-to-equity ratios are considered at risk. They don't have the wiggle room for a purchase like this and instead rely on smaller timed exclusivity deals or other nonsense (like paying to have PS users get XP boosts). Regardless, this isn't going to sink Sony, but if you think it doesn't hurt Sony...yikes. It will be interesting to see how they respond, as the gap between Sony and Microsoft has quickly started to shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    If companies cared about that, exclusives wouldn't exist. Ms would get more money putting cod on gamepass than boxed ps5 sales
    They obviously do care though, hence the Minecraft point.

It all depends on what they think will make the most for them. It's possible in a few years CoD will be an exclusive, sure. But I highly doubt the next one will be, and it's a big seller in general so it's risky limiting it to one platform on hoping the PS5 player base moves to play it elsewhere.

I still think we're more likely to see encouragement to get it on Xbox/PC first.

But we've also seen short term stuff like Deathloop still be PS5 exclusive for a console while being published by Bethesda after being acquired by Sony.

Could just be a contract issue but stuff like TES is still far off, there's a difference between that and a yearly game. A better judge will be seeing if Diablo 4 is exclusive now

15+ Year Old Account
    They obviously do care though, hence the Minecraft point.

It all depends on what they think will make the most for them. It's possible in a few years CoD will be an exclusive, sure. But I highly doubt the next one will be, and it's a big seller in general so it's risky limiting it to one platform on hoping the PS5 player base moves to play it elsewhere.

I still think we're more likely to see encouragement to get it on Xbox/PC first.

But we've also seen short term stuff like Deathloop still be PS5 exclusive for a console while being published by Bethesda after being acquired by Sony.

Could just be a contract issue but stuff like TES is still far off, there's a difference between that and a yearly game. A better judge will be seeing if Diablo 4 is exclusive now
    If they did care then god of war would be on xbox and starfield would be on ps5. They want you in the ecosystem and do not care about boxed copy numbers