Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    They obviously do care though, hence the Minecraft point.

It all depends on what they think will make the most for them. It's possible in a few years CoD will be an exclusive, sure. But I highly doubt the next one will be, and it's a big seller in general so it's risky limiting it to one platform on hoping the PS5 player base moves to play it elsewhere.

I still think we're more likely to see encouragement to get it on Xbox/PC first.
    Well the deal won't even close until at earliest summer 2023, so the next 2 CoD games are multiplat and being developed as such. Whether the 2024 CoD release is, who knows and I think drawing conclusions either way is silly. Comparing it to Elder Scrolls is silly since that is a once a gen release at best, CoD is a yearly release and has a f2p GAAS in Warzone attached to it that shares progression with the main line games so this could go either way imo. MS might want it exclusive, but it's also built around being multiplatform with warzone cross progression so they will have to drastically change how they handle CoD if they do make it exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well the deal won't even close until at earliest summer 2023, so the next 2 CoD games are multiplat and being developed as such. Whether the 2024 CoD release is, who knows and I think drawing conclusions either way is silly. Comparing it to Elder Scrolls is silly since that is a once a gen release at best, CoD is a yearly release and has a f2p GAAS in Warzone attached to it that shares progression with the main line games so this could go either way imo. MS might want it exclusive, but it's also built around being multiplatform with warzone cross progression so they will have to drastically change how they handle CoD if they do make it exclusive.
    They'd be pretty silly to make it exclusive at this point given the regularity of releases and that it's unlikely going to be a system seller. But we know the comarketing deal with Sony is gonna die, so they'll more than likely simply pivot to lots of "exclusive content" to push that Xbox (and maybe PC) is the "best" place to play the game.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol no. Sony Exclusives are still massive successes. The Spiderman Games, God of War, Horizon, Persona mainline.

The smartest thing Playstation has done in years is make a PC branch so that after they nab the exclusive community, then years later they can get a chunk of PC money as well. That on top of them never "confirming" which exclusives they will eventually bring to PC until after the first wave of PS sales keep People buying the console.

the PS5 has consistently sold out across the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    If they did care then god of war would be on xbox and starfield would be on ps5. They want you in the ecosystem and do not care about boxed copy numbers
    https://www.destructoid.com/phil-spe...d-acquisition/

Speaking with Bloomberg, Xbox Head of Gaming, Phil Spencer, has taken a typical executive stance of being somewhat vague in the company’s plans, but did state — more or less — that strict, across-the-board Xbox exclusivity for all of these valuable IPs is not really part of the equation.

“I’ll just say to players out there who are playing Activision Blizzard games on Sony’s platform: It’s not our intent to pull communities away from that platform and we remained committed to that.”
    So.

That's exactly what they said about Bethesda games as well, until after the acquisition was finished, then it was "No plans for future Elder scrolls games on playstation"
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Absolutely not, not until Sony is bought by Microsoft aswell.

Sony's PlayStation has always been my console of choice, save for the PS3 era when I had absolutely no time for gaming at all, coinciding with high costs that were better diverted into buying a new PC.

This won't change because of this acquisition. Just the Sony studios alone are enough reason for me to buy a PlayStation, not to mention that Xbox is nowhere near as popular and accessible in Europe.

This competition can only drive further innovation, which is welcoming. The Fallout franchise becoming an Xbox exclusive is the only disappointment for me so far, though no matter how many franchises turn into Xbox exclusives, I would never buy an Xbox because I'd rather divert that money into upgrading my PC.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2022-01-20 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    This competition can only drive further innovation, which is welcoming. The Fallout franchise becoming an Xbox exclusive is the only disappointment for me so far, though no matter how many franchises turn into Xbox exclusives, I would never buy an Xbox because I'd rather divert that money into upgrading my PC.
    That's really the best setup these days, Switch and PS5 for exclusives, then PC for anything Xbox puts out, because they've publicly said they want to put out everything on Windows and Xbox at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    That's exactly what they said about Bethesda games as well, until after the acquisition was finished, then it was "No plans for future Elder scrolls games on playstation"
    Almost like they don't actually own it yet so they can't say. Also phil isn't some good guy uncle. He's a rich executive trying to make the company money. I'm not going to believe anything these people say

They obviously do care though, hence the Minecraft point.

It all depends on what they think will make the most for them. It's possible in a few years CoD will be an exclusive, sure. But I highly doubt the next one will be, and it's a big seller in general so it's risky limiting it to one platform on hoping the PS5 player base moves to play it elsewhere.

I still think we're more likely to see encouragement to get it on Xbox/PC first.

But we've also seen short term stuff like Deathloop still be PS5 exclusive for a console while being published by Bethesda after being acquired by Sony.

Could just be a contract issue but stuff like TES is still far off, there's a difference between that and a yearly game. A better judge will be seeing if Diablo 4 is exclusive now
    As you've said, Deathloop had an exclusive contract already in place. Getting out of it would have been expensive, if not impossible. It appears Diablo IV may have something similar in place, as it's been announced for Xs and PS5. They're unlikely to restrict, as it's been announced. Starfield, however, was announced as Xs only. They've basically said TES will be, as well (PC and Xs).

These are all only possible signs, though. Until announcements are made, likely a year+ from now, it's just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    Well it was selling well before the acquisition but not so sure after that.
    The fuck? How do the two relate at all in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Oh yeah no company has ever recovered from a 10% stock drop its all over

Doesn't even matter that last console generation Microsoft performed less than half as well as Sony, its all irrelevant now that Microsoft has acquired a mediocre gaming company
    From a business standpoint, it isn't a mediocre gaming company. Stop confusing your personal bias toward the company and its games from the actual financial dollars of this acquisition. Microsoft didn't just spend a metric boat load of billions of dollars on a mediocre gaming company.

lol good one.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Do you have a source for that?

Coz what I'm finding is not saying that-
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/21/2...les-exclusives

Basically says that they'll honor exclusive deals that were made already (due to legal obligation I'm sure), and that TES: Online will continue to be supported, but everything else will be on a case by case basis going forward. They even mentioned at the time of starting the acquisition that Starfield will be coming to Xbox and PC.

So they were upfront about what they were honoring with Bethesda, and that they had plans to consider on a case by case basis. As Tech said, TES is a once a generation release, so it makes sense why they would want to make that exclusive.

But now they're saying with ActiBlizz, they don't wish to pull communities away from their platform. It's not exactly what they said about Bethesda, it's the opposite almost.

Ten cent is the most valuable game company

Sony is #2

Microsoft is #3

This is AFTER the acti buyout

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Oh yeah no company has ever recovered from a 10% stock drop its all over
    Always worth noting that a stock drop like this is about sentiment regarding future prospects rather than they are suddenly imperiled.

Makes perfect sense since one of Sony's biggest competitors just pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

How many times has Tesla stock dropped in the last year significantly? At least twice.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    This is AFTER the acti buyout
    And Bethesda for another nearly $8B. This is after spending $75B acquiring publishers and IP's.

The Xbox Division couldn't develop their way to gaming supremacy so they're just using Daddy Microsoft's money to buy their way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And Bethesda for another nearly $8B. This is after spending $75B acquiring publishers and IP's.

The Xbox Division couldn't develop their way to gaming supremacy so they're just using Daddy Microsoft's money to buy their way there.
    Such a weird perspective. Why is it important or relevant if a studio was purchased before or after they have success?

Quote Originally Posted by Damrodrial View Post
    Such a weird perspective.
    Is it? Microsoft is a massive company with near limitless resources. They've had a gaming division that's been around and producing consoles and games for 20 years at this point.

And after four console generations, they can't hack it. Their first party lineup is largely non-existent, with their console seller delayed a year and still facing problems. Their studios they picked up last-gen haven't been productive so far. And they've monumentally failed to follow the proven successful track record of Nintendo and Sony in growing internal studios to produce multiple high quality games across different genres.

So they're buying their way to that by buying ready-made publishers that already have immensely valuable IP's and studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Damrodrial View Post
    Why is it important or relevant if a studio was purchased before or after they have success?
    Because it's Microsoft using their broader market power here, it's gross. Consolidation like this is awful for the industry, and awful for consumers as it affords less choice.

There's really no upside to this for gamers, and the only beneficiaries are the various stock owners, Microsoft proper, and Activision executives.

Would be nice. The gaming community as a whole should transition more into a PC focused setting and stop limiting the games everyone can play just because devs make a deal with Sony or Microsoft.