Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    But what does that have to do with selling the infrastructure bill? That's unrelated to the talk of Democrats being beholden to corporations, they already passed that shit. It's done.

Or, they're just not great politicians and the political party isn't exactly well organized. Because it's not. Sometimes there's not a grander scheme, it's just that "your best" isn't that great, but there aren't any reasonable alternatives.

Oh come now to say democrats can't possibly make sure that the majority of the people that appear on TV stay on one message is rather insane. Look at the infrastructure bill every democrat that showed up on TV had different talking points and most of it had nothing to do with the most popular parts of the bill. It would be stupidly simple to make sure every democrat including the VP and Biden that gets on TV mentions all the popular parts of the bill and keep bringing the conversation around that.

In order for your theory to work you have to admit that democrats and all of their staff including their multi billion dollar operations are run at a level worse than Donald Trump on drugs with brain damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean sure, that's politics in a nutshell. But they could at least be effective with their performance. As-is, they're astoundingly ineffective and it's undercutting any momentum they need to build leading into the midterms.
    I think you mistook me.

It's strictly performative. As in; Democrats have never had any intent of bringing about actual legislative change on those issues. They're propaganda they use to mislead their own electorate, while they continue to legislate along neoliberal exploitative lines nearly exclusively.

The socioeconomic divides between black Americans and white Americans haven't appreciably narrowed since the civil rights laws were passed. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ck-households/ That isn't an accident, that's the result of bipartisan hostility to the idea of socioeconomic justice. Democrats saying otherwise have always either been outliers with no chance of effecting meaningful change, like Bernie Sanders, or were just straight-up lying to their base about their intents. While the propagandizing and bullshitting by Republicans has gotten worse in recent years, "racial justice" is essentially a meme used to cover up the true intents of Democrats in exactly the same kind of sense "trickle-down economics" has been for Republicans.

There's a few new voices among Democrats fighting to change this, we can presume; the Squad is the best example. But they could easily just be Bernie 2.0; a voice that cries for change, and votes for it, but is drowned out for their entire careers by a party that is utterly and deliberately indifferent to the issues they raise.

It's performative because the Democrats, like Joe Biden, saying these things have no intent to ever follow through on them. It's smoke and mirrors, because they know the electorate will fall for it. They always have. It's endemic to American politics, and by no means unique to Republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden to distribute 400 million masks.

I guess he found Trump's personal stash.

So, we have a bipartisan majority to preserve the filibuster, 52-48
    https://twitter.com/grace_panetta/st...05799408111626
    McConnell on the floor, reminding everyone that the last president who wanted to kill the filibuster to get what he wanted: "We had a one word answer: no"

So the push, backed by Biden, to pass voting legislation without the filibuster fails. There apparently will be a vote tomorrow on the actual bill. Vulnerable Democrats will be made to register their vote on the matter, like Mark Kelly (D) - Arizona.

Also, Biden had a long presser today. He's well below all five of his predecessors in taking the podium, having only done six on his own a year into his presidency. But eh he's willling to do a longer one to make it up to the press. And what's he saying?
    * The 2022 election will easily be illegitimate unless his party gets their legislation passed. Conditional legitimacy. Talk about sowing doubt about the legitimacy of democratic elections ahead of time. I hope Trump is taking notes on how the pros do it. https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1483928652307996677 Next time, demand they pass your legislation or the election results will not be legitimate. And let me clarify, I'm grateful he didn't also call for major protester/riot/pressure action at the Capitol in case the legislation fails and an illegitimate election result follows.
    * A 'minor incursion' will prompt disunity within NATO, and very different than an actual invasion CNN. Prompts Ukrainian officials to wonder why Biden's distinguishing between the two and possible responses. I see online that his administration has now cleaned up the interview response with released statements after the fact.
    * "I don't believe the polls." Pretty Trumpian vibes there.
    * A very messy response on his opposition-to-filibuster-reform-in-Senate=you're-with-George-Wallace-and-Bull-Connor.
    https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...29828755660802
    https://twitter.com/EliLake/status/1483928515103936516
    I would like to congratulate Philip Wegmann on having been yelled at by two sequential presidents. ("That is an interesting reading in English. I assume you got into journalism because you like to write.") Sorry, if you're boosting your party's legislation and ask "At consequential moments in history, they present a choice. Do you want to be the side of Dr. King or George Wallace? Do you want to be on the side of John Lewis or Bull Connor? Do you want to be on the side of Abraham Lincoln or Jefferson Davis?" then reporters are going to come back at you and ask you to reconcile comparing legislative opponents to confederates and segregationists with calls for civility in politics. If you gotta attack reporters over it, you just look like Trump's second term press conference strategy.

Altogether, this is likely to erode a bit more of Biden's favorability. His major legislative agenda is done, but he may still get some victories on the margins if he breaks up the big BBB bill into just the portions that have bipartisan support.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    So, we have a bipartisan majority to preserve the filibuster, 52-48
    https://twitter.com/grace_panetta/st...05799408111626
    McConnell on the floor, reminding everyone that the last president who wanted to kill the filibuster to get what he wanted: "We had a one word answer: no"

So the push, backed by Biden, to pass voting legislation without the filibuster fails. There apparently will be a vote tomorrow on the actual bill. Vulnerable Democrats will be made to register their vote on the matter, like Mark Kelly (D) - Arizona.

Also, Biden had a long presser today. He's well below all five of his predecessors in taking the podium, having only done six on his own a year into his presidency. But eh he's willling to do a longer one to make it up to the press. And what's he saying?
    * The 2022 election will easily be illegitimate unless his party gets their legislation passed. Conditional legitimacy. Talk about sowing doubt about the legitimacy of democratic elections ahead of time. I hope Trump is taking notes on how the pros do it. https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1483928652307996677 Next time, demand they pass your legislation or the election results will not be legitimate. And let me clarify, I'm grateful he didn't also call for major protester/riot/pressure action at the Capitol in case the legislation fails and an illegitimate election result follows.
    * A 'minor incursion' will prompt disunity within NATO, and very different than an actual invasion CNN. Prompts Ukrainian officials to wonder why Biden's distinguishing between the two and possible responses. I see online that his administration has now cleaned up the interview response with released statements after the fact.
    * "I don't believe the polls." Pretty Trumpian vibes there.
    * A very messy response on his opposition-to-filibuster-reform-in-Senate=you're-with-George-Wallace-and-Bull-Connor.
    https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...29828755660802
    https://twitter.com/EliLake/status/1483928515103936516
    I would like to congratulate Philip Wegmann on having been yelled at by two sequential presidents. ("That is an interesting reading in English. I assume you got into journalism because you like to write.") Sorry, if you're boosting your party's legislation and ask "At consequential moments in history, they present a choice. Do you want to be the side of Dr. King or George Wallace? Do you want to be on the side of John Lewis or Bull Connor? Do you want to be on the side of Abraham Lincoln or Jefferson Davis?" then reporters are going to come back at you and ask you to reconcile comparing legislative opponents to confederates and segregationists with calls for civility in politics. If you gotta attack reporters over it, you just look like Trump's second term press conference strategy.

Altogether, this is likely to erode a bit more of Biden's favorability. His major legislative agenda is done, but he may still get some victories on the margins if he breaks up the big BBB bill into just the portions that have bipartisan support.
    It's a shame the GOP keeps trying to restrict voting.

Sinema and Manchin are basically GOP senators at this point. And are likely enjoying the money it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Bit of a whoopsie there on the quiet part being said out loud. In front of cameras.
    Damn...so there's a difference between African-American and American.
    I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    They're absolutely enjoying the money and limelight. Given the lack of shame each one has, they basically are members of the GOP already. Hell, John Kennedy was first in line (yes, a literal line) to shake her hand after the vote.
    Sinema is basically the W of Babylon. Except the proverbial Babylon is the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Well, aren't you a disingenuous cupcake.

Republicans are literally fucking rigging the elections at a state level. "How dare anyone question that?"

You are the worst kind of deplorable, the type who actually knows better, but you just choose to be like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching the Senate vote was something last night. I had questions about Schumer's strategy on voting rights, but I think he did something important tonight. He got everyone on record. Some of us had a gut feeling that maybe Manchin and Sinema were the vocal ones covering for other Dems.

They only need two.

This isn’t the sort of defeat that should discourage. This is the sort that should mobilize. Democrats don’t need 10 or 20 more Senate seats to pass these bills.
    They need two. That’s it.

People going to tell on themselves whether they see this as an opportunity to inspire or discourage.

https://time.com/6140442/joe-biden-p...y-second-year/

Biden Administration isn't doing good.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The bar was set pretty low.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet he's still done nigh-infinitely better than Trump.

How does that make you feel? You always did seem rather opportunistic about whether you liked or disliked Trump.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Still better than Trump. The only thing that the Trump administration passed, was the tax cuts, that expired this year for anyone that isn't the 1%.

biden will not be re-elected imo
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure you're very concerned.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    biden will not be re-elected imo
    Trump definitely won't win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Trump definitely won't win.
    I think the GOP is hoping trump won’t run in 2024. Because I don’t think they like his chances, nor do they like the prospect of splitting their constituents vote by having trump run as a spoiler third party candidate.

For as lukewarm as people want to portray Biden’s presidency as being, I really don’t see how his relatively conflict-free tenure to date is “turning people back on to trump,” nor do I see people who were disgusted by trump in the 2020 run deciding that a return to him would be fine enough to just sit the election out.

But of course I’ve been disappointed before. Even the remotest possibility of trump winning is unacceptable; my outstanding hope is that by 2024 he’s up to his eyes in legal troubles or under house arrest such that he’s unable to run, or so enfeebled/dead from his own utterly unhealthy lifestyle to the same effect.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-01-21 at 08:46 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

We'll soon forget everything about it, just like Biden.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2022-01-21 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I think the GOP is hoping trump won’t run in 2024. Because I don’t think they like his chances, nor do they like the prospect of splitting their constituents vote by having trump run as a spoiler third party candidate.

For as lukewarm as people want to portray Biden’s presidency as being, I really don’t see how his relatively conflict-free tenure to date is “turning people back on to trump,” nor do I see people who were disgusted by trump in the 2020 run deciding that a return to him would be fine enough to just sit the election out.

But of course I’ve been disappointed before. Even the remotest possibility of trump winning is unacceptable; my outstanding hope is that by 2024 he’s up to his eyes in legal troubles or under house arrest such that he’s unable to run, or so enfeebled/dead from his own utterly unhealthy lifestyle to the same effect.
    I am hoping he will either be in prison, or he choked on a Big Mac or his KFC chicken and died. Either way, he should never see the Whitehouse again. And anyone else they run, no one should win either. Especially their 2nd choice, Ron DeSantis. Because that fucker is actively killing his constituents in his state, and being openly racist and making his own SS brownshirt cops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    We'll soon forget everything about it, just like Biden.
    Still better than Trump.