Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is no one scared of the Ring anymore?

originally touted as an influential horror movie, the Ring has gradually become a pop culture thing and no one's really spooked by it anymore. People even call Sadako "cute." I even took this profile picture from the most iconically scary scene to intimidate other people but no one is bothered.

Would you say the movie is scary or not at all in this day and age
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    originally touted as an influential horror movie, the Ring has gradually become a pop culture thing and no one's really spooked by it anymore. People even call Sadako "cute." I even took this profile picture from the most iconically scary scene to intimidate other people but no one is bothered.

Still one of the scariest movies of all time. My wife refuses to watch it.

Was it ever scary? Think the Grudge is even creepier...

The character, taken out of context, can be cute and fun, sure, but the movie is exactly as scary as it's ever been.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2022-01-22 at 05:49 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I don't know anyone who was ever scared by it, but it likely is the case that people just got used to the imagery. There were remakes, sequels, spoofs and so. Takes the bite out of a thing when it is spoofed both often and well.

"I did a thing to get attention but nobody cares! PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEE!"

I'm not scared by it personally but I also think Scary Movie 3 mocking it and the fact I saw Scary Movie 3 a lot when it came out kinda ruined the scare-factor of The Ring. The original is still good but I don't necessarily find that style of horror to be what scares me the most.

Why would you think your avatar might intimidate people? Why would you want that?

I never was. I watched The Exorcist when I was like 11 years old. It desensitized me to all fear, really. The Ring and The Grudge were like Scooby-Doo to me by the time I saw them after watching The Exorcist.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you see some image over and over again, it's less scary every time. And in internet age it's super easy to find image or replay video.

I know this effect worked on me with scenes like Winkies from Mullholland Drive and troll on plane from Twilight Zone.

I never watched it because I thought it looked dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really need threads about avatars?
    /s

People just get used to it, it’s why scary movies nowadays are heavily dependent of jump scares.

Not impressive

Better...
    My druid loves it.

Is anyone scared of ANY horror media that have been around for ages?

Does Michael Meyers frighten you? Truly? Or is it that they make movies with things like jump scares etc. which startle people almost irrespective of content, and that's what's "scary" to movie goers - not the character or franchise or whatever itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    "I did a thing to get attention but nobody cares! PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEE!"
    You know I saw that and now have to ask

Do people actually get intimidated by profile pictures like do you play CoD see a guy with a punisher avatar and think "oh shit I better not fuck with him"

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    You know I saw that and now have to ask

Do people actually get intimidated by profile pictures like do you play CoD see a guy with a punisher avatar and think "oh shit I better not fuck with him"
    I see a guy with a Punisher Avatar and I'm just like "Oh, I guess he likes the Punisher". That's literally the extent of it.

I don't want to sound like a tough guy here... but I generally don't find myself being too intimidated by 30 pixel x 30 pixel pictures. You really got into at least the hundreds before I start worrying about your avatar.

10+ Year Old Account
    ring was meh but the grudge is another story.

i like horror movies the most and the grudge is the best one i've ever watched.

open to real suggestions btw. make me scared !
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up on horror movies from the 80's and 90's, the ring didn't phase me at all. The movie that scared (and scarred) me was Candyman(1992), it fucked all us black kids up, had me scared as fuck to use the bathroom for a few day lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Is anyone scared of ANY horror media that have been around for ages?

Does Michael Meyers frighten you? Truly? Or is it that they make movies with things like jump scares etc. which startle people almost irrespective of content, and that's what's "scary" to movie goers - not the character or franchise or whatever itself.
    I actually think the first Halloween is pretty scary. Largely because the emphasis was never on gore or graphics but creating a creepy atmosphere which aged better than most horror films.

For me though, the "scariness" of horror movies has much more to do with the mood I am in. Sometimes I am de-sensitized to them. Sometimes even the stupidest scary movie can make me unsettled.

The horror genre afterall is less about the subject matter on screen and more about poking your own irrational fears.