Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    really enjoyed the series as a whole, couple of loose ends which should have been sorted and i hate things like that but id say there was only one below average season, 5

So just finished the last episode and man, I saw it coming but the payoff was soooo fun.

Tell me though in DM if no spoilers here, but does she ruin the whole new setup or does she keep her word and keep it legit?

this last season was a let down.. i know there's a lot more to it than that but as someone who only seen the show it felt like a waste of time.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was a very meh kind of ending. Basically the whole storyline about Laconia and the further story about the protomolecule was just left unresolved. While Babylon's Ashes is the last episode, it is only the 6th out of currently 9 books, so the story is just no where near finished.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    That was a very meh kind of ending. Basically the whole storyline about Laconia and the further story about the protomolecule was just left unresolved. While Babylon's Ashes is the last episode, it is only the 6th out of currently 9 books, so the story is just no where near finished.
    While true, the story after book 6 is set 30 years in the future and revolves largely around Laconia. It made sense for them to stop here when Amazon decided they didn't want to continue it past season 6.

There's always a chance another network/service will pick it up for a limited series to finish out the Laconia story. The series was highly successful, I would even say there is a very good chance this will happen.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

I'm also not sure how they could have done it WITHOUT Laconia, because its kinda integral to several plots for both season 5 and 6 and without it, those plots don't really make any sense without breaking the story and characters entirely.

I'm hoping they get to continue in movies or something but even if they do not, I guess I grew up on too many movies that leave a question mark after "The End"

I have to say this was a nice closure of what was set up in (mostly) seasons 5 and 6. Sadly, it should not have been the entire show's finale, since seasons 1-3 (and bit of 4) promised the viewer a lot more with regards to the aliens/protomolecule/mystery aspects of the show. I get this is based on books but I don't have to care about that in my judgement. So my final verdict: a good sci-fi show with lots of wasted potential storywise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Which is faithful to the books at that point. There is basically a 30 year time jump and what is effectively the next trilogy.

What the fuck kind of ending is that? They abandoned basically all the big shit I was hoping they'd at least ATTEMPT to wrap up...

Dogs? Nope!
    Protowhatevertthefuckmarsisdoing? Nope!
    FULL explanation on wtf is happening at the ring (instead of just "oh, we know WHY this is happening but not WHAT is actually happening")? Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    Sadly, it should not have been the entire show's finale, since seasons 1-3 (and bit of 4) promised the viewer a lot more with regards to the aliens/protomolecule/mystery aspects of the show.
    Exactly... where is the payoff I was promised? It seems so reduced in scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I'm hoping they get to continue in movies or something but even if they do not, I guess I grew up on too many movies that leave a question mark after "The End"
    I grew up with them too and I hate it every fucking time. God damn why is it so hard to find a series or story that actually ENDS?
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-01-19 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post

I grew up with them too and I hate it every fucking time. God damn why is it so hard to find a series or story that actually ENDS?
    because life just keeps going and world doesn't just stop? I personaly don't mind open ended stories. but... this may also be an added bias of knowing what happens after the time skip thanks to reading the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    because life just keeps going and world doesn't just stop? I personaly don't mind open ended stories. but... this may also be an added bias of knowing what happens after the time skip thanks to reading the books.
    I don't mind the fact that the rest of the universe moves on. What I mind is not knowing answers to questions the show(s) themselves pose. Don't pose a question if you don't intend to answer it. Leave that out of the realm of focus like the entire rest of the universe

I haven't read and don't intend to read any of the books, but I do hope they continue to make the show to finally wrap up the proto molecule/mars/dog stuff.

So I just finished this and I KNEW I was going to be disappointed when I heard it was the final season. Honestly Season 1 and Season 6 feel like two completely different shows. I seriously feel like I'm confusing two shows here. Then we see what happens on the planet in season 6 and I'm reminded...oh no I'm not...but there is only ONE episode left. There is no way there is going to be any satisfying conclusion.

It's not quite as high as my disappointment of Game of Thrones but that's because that got built up over a longer time with an overall better story but it's the same disappointing result. White Walkers and the Proto Molecule seem to be handled in the exact same fashion. This big huge threat and then ending as a side story with plot points flapping in the wind with no real conclusion whatsoever. I didn't look, did D&D get brought on as consultants somewhere?

BTW I almost cringed when they were sitting at the table at the end. I was waiting for someone to bring up they are writing a book about the experience called "The Expanse"

What the fuck kind of ending is that? They abandoned basically all the big shit I was hoping they'd at least ATTEMPT to wrap up...

Protowhatevertthefuckmarsisdoing? Nope!
    FULL explanation on wtf is happening at the ring
    huh?it was pretty decently explained,the protomolecule was created by the ring builders to basicaly help them create stuff as it was shown in the show to do

the show also mentiones how whatever it is in the rings killed the builders,and its angry when people use those rings

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    huh?it was pretty decently explained,the protomolecule was created by the ring builders to basicaly help them create stuff as it was shown in the show to do

the show also mentiones how whatever it is in the rings killed the builders,and its angry when people use those rings
    When you have to say "whatever it is" it is NOT decently explained lol. The whole reason I got into this show was the proto molecule and it was replaced by political crap between three factions by the middle of the show which then turned into earthers and belters 3/4 of the way and that was ALL it was. The "decently explained" story of the proto molecule was just handwaved into oblivion. I think they just kinda forgot about it like Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    When you have to say "whatever it is" it is NOT decently explained lol. The whole reason I got into this show was the proto molecule and it was replaced by political crap between three factions by the middle of the show which then turned into earthers and belters 3/4 of the way and that was ALL it was. The "decently explained" story of the proto molecule was just handwaved into oblivion. I think they just kinda forgot about it like Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet.
    not everything has to be explained in detail,its why games like wow lost all the magic in the story when hey try to explain every tiny aspect and fail at it

there are some beings there that dont wanna be messed with so they retaliate,what more do you want? how often they walk their dogs?do they have a third nipple? the mistery makes it so good,your imagination is better than anything some author can come up with

I more meant whatever mars's new colony was doing with it in their orbit. The thing admiral dickface keeps gawking at. Can't just have a major thing like that exist and say absolutely nothing about it.

"things go thru ring and other things don't like it, so they dissolve them" isn't exactly a full story, nor a satisfying one. It felt like they were setting up these things to be the next big-bad of the series.

I more meant whatever mars's new colony was doing with it in their orbit. The thing admiral dickface keeps gawking at. Can't just have a major thing like that exist and say absolutely nothing about it.

"things go thru ring and other things don't like it, so they dissolve them" isn't exactly a full story, nor a satisfying one. It felt like they were setting up these things to be the next big-bad of the series.
    well yes,its not the full story,its an adaptation,even if they would have chosen to not show the laconia stuff all the other things you mention would still not be resolved at this time

this show is a lot like game of thrones in more ways than one,but done better,read down if you dont mind spoilers

the laconia stuff is a pretty big arc itself,the martian guy wants to kill the things in the rings,its why he sais to marco ''i have gods to kill'',and the story has a 30 year timeskip,the ending is very satifying,the rings are forever destroyed,stoping what killed the builders from potentialy doing so to humanity,the big bad villain isnt the stuff in the rings,they are victims more than agresors,its humanity's interpersonal conflicts thats the villain,in the end they destroy the gates,puting an end to the harm they cause the ring being's and basicaly saying ''we will reach those far off stars on our own one day''

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    'Modern' writing got us all fooled into thinking everything must have an explanation. It doesn't have to be that way. There are implications for the rest of the story that's contained in the last 3 books + the short stories. I actually respect the writers for not butchering the timeline just because this is the last season. There may or may not be future content in TV/movie format, but they definitely want to do more so let them figure it out. The last book leaves things to interpretation regarding 'the others', and it's a good thing.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2022-01-24 at 03:28 AM.

not everything has to be explained in detail,its why games like wow lost all the magic in the story when hey try to explain every tiny aspect and fail at it

there are some beings there that dont wanna be messed with so they retaliate,what more do you want? how often they walk their dogs?do they have a third nipple? the mistery makes it so good,your imagination is better than anything some author can come up with
    Lol WoW has many many problems lore wise, explaining things in detail too much is not one of them.
    I like how we go from basically no explanation at all to "explained every tiny aspect" we are in another galaxy from explained in detail. And yes I'd like to know how often they walk their "dogs", considering what the hell they can do. Thanks for stepping in the proverbial dog shit lol.

I don't mind the fact that the rest of the universe moves on. What I mind is not knowing answers to questions the show(s) themselves pose. Don't pose a question if you don't intend to answer it. Leave that out of the realm of focus like the entire rest of the universe

I haven't read and don't intend to read any of the books, but I do hope they continue to make the show to finally wrap up the proto molecule/mars/dog stuff.
    you are losing out.

that said I do hope they have a chance to tell the rest of the stories after the time skip because everything from the strange dogs to the laconian orbit, to protomolecule and things inside the rings, etc - its built up to for a reason. unfortunately there was absolutely no way for them to try to wrap the story without those plots because then the rest of the stories would fall apart as well. I still feel like the ending wasn't so bad as a stopping point though. yeah, all these threats are looming, but our heroes won. for now.