Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    originally touted as an influential horror movie, the Ring has gradually become a pop culture thing and no one's really spooked by it anymore. People even call Sadako "cute." I even took this profile picture from the most iconically scary scene to intimidate other people but no one is bothered.

Would you say the movie is scary or not at all in this day and age
    Jump scares only work once after that for most it falls flat. A movie like that is a one off if that.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

originally touted as an influential horror movie, the Ring has gradually become a pop culture thing and no one's really spooked by it anymore. People even call Sadako "cute." I even took this profile picture from the most iconically scary scene to intimidate other people but no one is bothered.

I never found it scary personally, as I don't find 99% of horror films scary, I don't know. I like the worlds they often build though.

In this case... thats what happens with age. I remember my parents telling me how absolutely bonkers frightening The Exorcist is, and its just not remotely scary. Saw it around the age of 12. The books do a lot better at that.
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2022-01-24 at 12:11 AM.

Exorcist scared me.
    Poltergeist scared me...a bit.
    The only horror movie that I saw that scared me, and I mean losing sleep, lights on at night, scared...was Blair Witch Project back in 1999. Before seeing it,, I pored through the website they had to mock it up as real (even though I knew differently), and remembered the details so I knew what was going down in the movie. Had it ended 5secs early it wouldn't have hit me. But that last fucking moment...I kept seeing that damn moment.

For me, the scariest movie moment of my youth was this:

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    For me, the scariest movie moment of my youth was this:
    LOL I guess it doesn't have to be horror to be scary

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I see a guy with a Punisher Avatar and I'm just like "Oh, I guess he likes the Punisher". That's literally the extent of it.

I don't want to sound like a tough guy here... but I generally don't find myself being too intimidated by 30 pixel x 30 pixel pictures. You really got into at least the hundreds before I start worrying about your avatar.
    I think im more scared of a guy with a MLP avatar over a punisher but that's me

The only scary movie which has ever scared me was the Blair Witch Project, and that I blame on my friend. I had literally just spent 2 weeks camping in the deep woods, and the first day I'm back my friend says, "Hey, let's go see this movie." And I asked him what it was about, and he said, "dunno, it's some documentary about the occult..." so I went into it thinking it was real. I should have known better, but if you've ever been in the woods for a long time, things can be eerie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if you were a kid when it came out it might have been scary, in the same way I would a lot of horror movies when I was a kid was scary, but when you grow up those scary movies are not really that scary anymore.

also The ring being meme'd to death never helped :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grudge was far worse for me. Nightmare fuel.

Do people get scared of horror movies? They are all so predictable. I think the last movie that scared me was "Alien" and I think I was about 8 or 9 when I saw it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to scaring people with very small amounts of pixels what scares who is always extremely reliant on the individual. I'm susceptible to Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise and that's it. The reasoning is probably just because I saw it at an age where I really shouldn't have, for anyone else that's scared of a profile pic it's probably something similar.

Maybe it's just me, but I find myself more attracted to Samara / Sadako than afraid

10+ Year Old Account

Never really been scared of it. I think I fell asleep the first time I watched it a long time ago.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Was the Ring every creepy? In any version? I always viewed it more as a thriller than anything realted to horror.

Horror movies are only creepy if their main gimmick is current and mainstream.

The ring had it with VCR tapes; it then attempted a jump to the next gimmick in "Rings", but pretty much failed due to being late to the party.
    Pulse had it with the internet, but failed with horrible sequels.
    Found footage films also had a niche, a very long one at that, but it was overused.

So no, currently we really don't have any horror-tropes that strike fear. It's mostly cause their niches are outdated or overused.

Do you think the Erma comic had anything to do with softening the Ring girl ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is "scary" outside their movies.

All the villains like pinhead, Freddy, jason and others look goofy as f without the movie context. If you take the ring out of the movie she is just a girl doing cosplay, that isn't scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Do you think the Erma comic had anything to do with softening the Ring girl ?
    Its probably because rule 34
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-01-24 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was scary. So scary I couldn’t finish it in the theatre and had to rewatch it later when it came out. These days? Not so much. I’ve seen scarier.

Familiar story, friend

Pretty sure the last time I was genuinely scared while watching a horror movie was watching Stephen King's Pet Sematary (the original 89 version) on TV when I was like, 12. 99% of modern horror is just jump scares and predictable shit like people getting killed by their own stupidity. Just doesn't stack up against any of the good, properly atmospheric horror of the classics.

Also:

Last edited by Surfd; 2022-01-24 at 01:12 PM.