Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This really says it all.

I love this image.

This really says it all.

Damn I love those graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Yeah, I'll say this as a Bills hater....NFL OT rules aren't as bad as they used to be but they're still a fucking joke. I don't care how the statistics and win probability play out, but every end like this is a travesty.
    Yup. That is the big talking point take away from this game. NFL Overtime rules are still bullshit when you have such a wonderful offensive game just end like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly. The OT rule should have changed ten years ago when Tebow ended overtime in a single play.

A coin flip shouldn't decide something that important.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Honestly. The OT rule should have changed ten years ago when Tebow ended overtime in a single play.

Yup, just play an extra 10 or 15 minute from start until end.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'm going we finally get a rematch of the infamous 100 point game. Chiefs over Rams.
    That wasn't even the best game of that year (to me), I liked the Saints/Rams one a few weeks prior to the Chiefs/Rams one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    yawn. KC again. Super boring.
    And when are they going to change the OT rules so each team gets a possession? I don't understand why they do it this way.
    Let's hope the Bengals can conjure some magic. But yes the OT rules are stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember it was a field goal that could end it before, after 09 Saints over Vikings playoff that changed.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Or the plethora of times that Rodgers watched on the sidelines as his defense collapsed in OT.

Doesn't do the NFL any good when star guys are irrelevant in the outcome of a playoff game.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Or the plethora of times that Rodgers watched on the sidelines as his defense collapsed in OT.

Doesn't do the NFL any good when star guys are irrelevant in the outcome of a playoff game.
    To be fair, Rodgers isn't clutch. It wasn't always his defense that cost him. And he's always had a better D than Brees did, just sayin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Remember it was a field goal that could end it before, after 09 Saints over Vikings playoff that changed.
    See, this was a great example of a dumb rule being changed for the better.

They can, and should, do it again.

See, this was a great example of a dumb rule being changed for the better.

They can, and should, do it again.
    They really should. Let the 2nd team have a try if the first team scores. It's not easy coming up with good OT rules that aren't stupid like college's are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be the lone voice crying in the wilderness here: OT Rules are fine. Fuck your offense-only dreamscapes. Defense should matter. If you don;t play good defense, then guess what? You are letting it come down to that coin toss.

Defense should matter and the fact it is increasingly shoved by the wayside is a travesty that will eventually make this game something that it never was. Just 2 teams playing offense with minimal resistance.

The Bills lost cause they had a whole Chiefs drive to stop them and didn't. Even holding them to a FG would have given Josh Allen the ball back and his chance for glory.

DEFENSE SHOULD MATTER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    They really should. Let the 2nd team have a try if the first team scores. It's not easy coming up with good OT rules that aren't stupid like college's are.
    This is exactly what the rule should be. First team has a drive, second team has to match it to continue the game or better it to end it.

If the game continues, first team gets the ball once more and we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I'll be the lone voice crying in the wilderness here: OT Rules are fine. Fuck your offense-only dreamscapes. Defense should matter. If you don;t play good defense, then guess what? You are letting it come down to that coin toss.
    Yes you can enjoy your 9-7 shit game and we'll take the 36-36 tie going into overtime amazing as fuck game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be the lone voice crying in the wilderness here: OT Rules are fine. Fuck your offense-only dreamscapes. Defense should matter.
    How would giving both teams a shot make defense not matter?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

snip
    Also the overtime rules being stupid STILL APPLY in a 9-9 going to overtime shit game. Just because you won a coin flip DOES NOT MEAN YOU WIN if you score first. That is how I feel. You won a damn coin flip.

- - - Updated - - -

How would giving both teams a shot make defense not matter?
    He's senile?

Infracted - Disagreements are not just cause to insult other posters.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2022-01-24 at 03:19 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Defense should matter and the fact it is increasingly shoved by the wayside is a travesty that will eventually make this game something that it never was. Just 2 teams playing offense with minimal resistance.

The Bills lost cause they had a whole Chiefs drive to stop them and didn't. Even holding them to a FG would have given Josh Allen the ball back and his chance for glory.

DEFENSE SHOULD MATTER.
    If you want Defense to matter and it not just be about Offense, then wouldn't you want the team with the star QB's defense to also matter? Shouldn't the Chief's defense have had to prove it was worth winning that game too?

Heck the way those QBs were playing if both teams got a possession it would have truly been decided by "which defense finds a spine first?"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account

DEFENSE SHOULD MATTER.
    It's really hard for defence to matter when they constantly change the rules to favour the offence over the years, and still fail on a regular basis to call offensive holding and OPI pushoffs.

The game has become more tailored to being offensive friendly, for those big scores and bigger viewing numbers.

Also? This is overtime, those defences are fucking gassed. You have the coin flip go the other way and Josh Allen carves that Bills defence.

You're watching two of the best we have right now, going at it in an era that is QB friendly and it is a travesty that a coin flip sets up a scenario where potentially one of them gets a go and the other doesn't.

We keep putting the pressure on defences against some of the best to ever do it (and Tim Tebow) to make up for the NFL failing to make a fair rule. This kind of thinking needs to stop.

DEFENSE SHOULD MATTER.
    The teams should switch still, that gives both teams' O and D a chance to play in OT.
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2022-01-24 at 03:23 AM.

DEFENSE SHOULD MATTER.
    Defense should matter just as much as regulation not more, just like offense shouldn't count as more... Heck pull college OT rules in, they are better than the NFLs
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of thinking needs to stop.
    The Bills were up with 13 seconds to go. They had those 13 seconds to stop the Chiefs to just win outright AND they had that drive in OT and all they needed there was to stop the Chiefs from getting a TD.

Bills had plenty of chances to not let it get to this and they failed all their checks.

And don't get me wrong, the Chiefs would have cried about the OT rules again just like they did in 2018 when this happened to them with the Patriots marching down the field and scoring a walk off TD. This is not just something against the Bills, the Chiefs would have gotten this same reply.

You don't like it? Put a stop to it.

If you give both teams a chance in OT it just means that defense doesn't matter. At that point what matters even more than it does right now is scoring TD's not FGs. That would make the current arms race even more lopsided. Cause it doesn;t matter if you let the other team score, just as long as you keep answering them with a TD of your own.

And besides, what happens then? Both teams score a TD in OT. Gratz, the team that won the coin toss gets the ball again and goes on to score a TD and now the game is over, decided by that same damn coin toss. Just in the process of making things "fair" you now further delegitimized Defense, cause investing in it is nto worth it when you need to score TDs to stay in the game.

So no. Make defense matter and put a stop to it, either in regulation or in OT. If you can't, then guess what, you deserved to lose cause one of the sides of your team wasn't good enough.