Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    For me: It started with the Scarab Lord and Death Charger's reigns in Vanilla. Those were two mounts you saw and you turned to look at (Deathcharger on alliance for sure, not sure if horde had the same reaction).

I grinded out the Death Charger in Strat and got it first patch of BC (back when I could no life as a middle schooler, rip ). The whispers I got gave me a rush I hadn't felt before, and it solidified my mount collecting. BC was the worst for me, however. My buddy and I would duo ZG. He would get the tiger, I would get the raptor. Tiger dropped, he got it, raptor never dropped for me. The one time he ran without me, the Tiger dropped again, so I never got the tiger. In ZA, my guild kept having people leaving after they got their bear. Final run of the year I convinced people to come help me get it. Shaman forgot Fish Oil for the biggest skip (water walking across the lake to the last boss of the run). Missed it by one second.

Because of missing those mounts, my drive to collect them got higher than before. It also was around that time I realized how much I loved raiding, but you would always replace your gear. Mounts stayed with me forever. So because of the rush of people noticing cool mounts it got me into raiding, which got me more into collecting mounts than before because they will always be there.

One of the reasons I've quit playing for the most part is due to all the store mounts. It's really started to feel like the store mounts get all the cool flashy stuff, and most of the mounts in-game are pretty blah. I think they've done a little better recently, but it's a far cry from what it feels like it used to be. That could be my nostalgia goggles from my childhood, it could be that I have higher standards than before due to how intense some mounts are, or it could be that there's so many flashy store mounts they tend to grab your visual attention more than the ones you can earn in game, but whatever it is, it hurts my soul

Quote Originally Posted by Galkura View Post
    For me: It started with the Scarab Lord and Death Charger's reigns in Vanilla. Those were two mounts you saw and you turned to look at (Deathcharger on alliance for sure, not sure if horde had the same reaction).

I grinded out the Death Charger in Strat and got it first patch of BC (back when I could no life as a middle schooler, rip ). The whispers I got gave me a rush I hadn't felt before, and it solidified my mount collecting. BC was the worst for me, however. My buddy and I would duo ZG. He would get the tiger, I would get the raptor. Tiger dropped, he got it, raptor never dropped for me. The one time he ran without me, the Tiger dropped again, so I never got the tiger. In ZA, my guild kept having people leaving after they got their bear. Final run of the year I convinced people to come help me get it. Shaman forgot Fish Oil for the biggest skip (water walking across the lake to the last boss of the run). Missed it by one second.

Because of missing those mounts, my drive to collect them got higher than before. It also was around that time I realized how much I loved raiding, but you would always replace your gear. Mounts stayed with me forever. So because of the rush of people noticing cool mounts it got me into raiding, which got me more into collecting mounts than before because they will always be there.

One of the reasons I've quit playing for the most part is due to all the store mounts. It's really started to feel like the store mounts get all the cool flashy stuff, and most of the mounts in-game are pretty blah. I think they've done a little better recently, but it's a far cry from what it feels like it used to be. That could be my nostalgia goggles from my childhood, it could be that I have higher standards than before due to how intense some mounts are, or it could be that there's so many flashy store mounts they tend to grab your visual attention more than the ones you can earn in game, but whatever it is, it hurts my soul
    Yeah, there's not many "goal" mounts anymore. They simply create a new mount, give it half a dozen flavours, and randomly determine their sources. This one is a dungeon drop, this one is a rare drop, this one is a rep reward, and so on... with no connection to their source other that coming out in the same patch. And the coolest stuff is sourced by your wallet instead of being a long-term goal.

Collecting used to be so much more immersive. You want to ride a ram? Buddy up with the Dwarves. A kodo? Get friendly with the Tauren. Arthas's mount? Better take down the Lich King. And so on.

Sources used to make sense, in-universe. Somewhere along the line, they lost sight of that.

Haha number go up.

That's it. Collectors like to collect. The game says "Here's a collection, you haven't filled it yet." They are compelled to amend this injustice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    FFXIV does this too, but unlike WoW their main appeal is people logging in & relaxing. RP, Housing & other non-advancement-based playstyles is where FFXIV really excels. They could start by say, adding a Bard Class that can busk in the streets like they do in FFXIV. That would greatly enhance the vibe of the game.
    I actually find that pretty comical, FF14 having the best casual playstyle but also at the same time having absolutely dog tier systems behind them. Imagine if you could port WoW's collection/wardrobe/transmog system into FF.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    This is just a general discussion based on my own curiosity.

I can totally understand that there are definitely collectors out there who have fun trying to own or do everything. I was hardcore WoW player for over 10 years (hardly touched Shadowlands though) and never once had any desire to care about mounts. They all have the same animations and provide the same purpose as all the rest of them. None of the mounts have any cool special abilities or perks to them (except for the two seaters with AH)

I think the only mount I ever really cared about was Invincible and that's really only because I was obsessed with WOTLK and DK has been my main class since Wrath beta.

So for those out there who love collecting mounts, why?
    Collection? Mounts in some people's view last longer than some silly raid gear?

Your question can be stretched to achievements, titles, toys, pets, cosmetics, etc - all have the same final answer, someone feels enjoyment in reaching these goals.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I actually find that pretty comical, FF14 having the best casual playstyle but also at the same time having absolutely dog tier systems behind them. Imagine if you could port WoW's collection/wardrobe/transmog system into FF.
    It is quite ironic. You would be hard pressed to find a game with a more arcane cosmetic system in the MMO space.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    FFXIV does this too, but unlike WoW their main appeal is people logging in & relaxing. RP, Housing & other non-advancement-based playstyles is where FFXIV really excels. They could start by say, adding a Bard Class that can busk in the streets like they do in FFXIV. That would greatly enhance the vibe of the game.
    i would like bard as secondary profession instead of class that work exactly like in ff

10+ Year Old Account
    guys, please knock it off with the final fantasy discussion. we don't allow game vs game discussions. we have a FF subforum if that's your jam!

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I can totally understand that there are definitely collectors out there who have fun trying to own or do everything. I was hardcore WoW player for over 10 years (hardly touched Shadowlands though) and never once had any desire to care about mounts. They all have the same animations and provide the same purpose as all the rest of them. None of the mounts have any cool special abilities or perks to them (except for the two seaters with AH)

I think the only mount I ever really cared about was Invincible and that's really only because I was obsessed with WOTLK and DK has been my main class since Wrath beta.

What’s the point in people doing anything? They enjoy it. Simple as.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would venture suggesting that in game where there's hundreds of mounts, you stand out not necessarily by which specific mounts you have, but the number of them you've acquired.

Mounts by themselves are common, except for a few.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Haha number go up.

That's it. Collectors like to collect. The game says "Here's a collection, you haven't filled it yet." They are compelled to amend this injustice.
    Pretty much this.

I like mounts for some weird reason. The idea of collecting them all is appealing to me (although it'll never happen).

It keeps people busy collecting stuff, else what else is there to do if a raider isn't raiding outside raid night for example.

1) Perfectionism, gamers like to see that bar reach 100%
    And they have a lot of time on their hands to do so.

2) Bragging rights, I mean, we all play the same game, so in theory we all value cool mounts the same, because they took effort or time to obtain. Casual mount farmers still look at you in awe when you whip that Invincible out.

3) And nothing else to do, the game might feel really boring at times, so people who want to play at all times (or just don't have anything else to do) want to find something else to fill time, and mount farming take up a lot of time.

I personally fell for the collection meme myself, and let me tell you, I understand your confusion. Apart from the perfectionist feeling, there is nothing desirable about WoW collection. Blizzard has made it intentionally difficult to be a collector. BfA was the expansion when Blizzard found out they can exploit playtimes of collectors and made many mounts downright painful to obtain.
    Last edited by Fistfighter; 2022-01-25 at 10:38 PM.

addicts. probably a lot of WoW players fall into this catagory.

If you got it, flaunt it. It's a way to stand out from the masses. Individuality. It started with the Red AQ40 bug for me. To be one of the only ones on a cutting edge server with it was an intoxicating feeling. It still doesn't get old even now having a truly rare mount amongst an endless see of store mounts and other riff raff.

However, I only respect mount collections that are earned on a single character. The whole "farm a mount through brute force of alts" is degenerate to me.

Having over 400 on a single character is far more impressive to me than someone with 500 using 60 alts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Having over 400 on a single character is far more impressive to me than someone with 500 using 60 alts.
    How exactly do you tell those apart, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    How exactly do you tell those apart, if you don't mind me asking?
    If I was so inclined, DataforAzeroth

If I was so inclined, DataforAzeroth
    Great lengths to figure out something that's near to irrelevant.

Thanks for the quick answer, though!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I used to try to collect everything, but now... there's just too much. An embarrassment of riches, as it were. There's so much to collect that I tune it out.

I liked things like the Netherwing grind. Want a Netherdrake mount? Do Netherdrake quests until you unlock all the Netherdrake mounts! Makes sense!

Now? If you like a model, the different recolors can come from half a dozen arbitrarily determined sources. It's too meta. Too much "game" not enough "world."
    Strongly agree. That shit started in WoD and I absolutely loathed it. MoP was the last with mount types tied to faction, apart from that one Argus faction with the new talbuks but I honestly didn't care about them. Original talbuks are still better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    That would certainly be useful!

At this point while I do still lack some mounts, I've gotten most of what I want that's available (only one that I really want is the Solar Spirehawk, which would totally go well with my mage's outfit right now), but 9.2's bringing a large number more I crave (SNAILS!)

Honestly, Shadowlands has been so good for me with mounts. I got my #1 mount request (moths) and now my #2 (snails). I'm a happy camper, to say the least.
    Very much agree on the moth and snails. Love snails!
    I'm also glad we got the spellbook one although I wasn't able to unlock it this time around. Got back into the game a bit late.

The one mount I've always wanted still eludes me: The Raven Lord's Reins.
    I have farmed that bastard since TBC and I have yet to see it drop.

- - - Updated - - -

If you got it, flaunt it. It's a way to stand out from the masses. Individuality. It started with the Red AQ40 bug for me. To be one of the only ones on a cutting edge server with it was an intoxicating feeling. It still doesn't get old even now having a truly rare mount amongst an endless see of store mounts and other riff raff.

However, I only respect mount collections that are earned on a single character. The whole "farm a mount through brute force of alts" is degenerate to me.

Sometimes I use alts, but funny enough the majority of my mounts have been acquired through my mains, hunter and shaman. Ofc there are some that can only be acquired by certain classes or professions so they skew the data a bit.

Only super rare mount I got is the first Brewfest Ram. It was only available that one year and never again.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Great lengths to figure out something that's near to irrelevant.

Thanks for the quick answer, though!
    I rarely use it. But when I do, it's a single search and a couple clicks of a button away. No problem!