Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't mind how popular the genre is right now, a fun game and a few streamers and popularity jumps from one game to another in a heartbeat.

My only concern would be that when it comes to Blizzard i guess they'll try to deliver a finished AAA product that can end up competing against early access games that are actually cheaper, more accessible, fun and usually developed by very few people that are way more open to feedback and closer to their own players than a big company. But survival games can come in different flavors, so i guess that highly depends on what their goal is, we don't know enough.

Anyway, trying to do something new and different is good for them.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    No. Starcraft just helped keep it popular but RTS was already "mainstream" prior to its release.
    Not at all. Nearly none was playing RTS before Starcraft.

There was a niche and Blizzard actually went for it and nailed it.

They gave just a picture, meaning it will be like 6+ years till it will be released(if it ever will). If you don't even have a wife today, your kid might just hit primary school when this game comes out. Is there really a point in discussing this now?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Damn they made a game about being a female intern at Blizzard? Or about their one guy at the office tryna work while all the woke kids wanna screech on Twitter and do no work?
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdodlig View Post
    Totally false. The most popular servers, youtube content and streams are not about construction at all, but are focused on survival, minigames or speedrun. I won't say people don't build in this game, but saying survival isn't a thing here is a ridiculous statement.
    So survival is one out of 3 then? If it's 33% a survival game then it's not popular for its survival.

As opposed to survival games that are actually about survival. Rimworld, for one. There's no question that that's a survival game. Or Rust, or so many others.

Let me clear this up -- I never said "survival isn't a thing in Minecraft". You're arguing against a point I never made. I said that Minecraft isn't popularly regarded as a "survival game". If you ask someone on the street to describe Minecraft, they're not going to say a survival game. They're going to say digital LEGO, or something describing its blocks, its virtual worlds, its building. Minecraft can be played as a survival game but that's not its selling point or innovation. You guys are being stubborn in a way only gamers are stubborn, arguing semantics.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2022-01-26 at 12:19 PM.

Yawnfest games I'll pass
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    So survival is one out of 3 then? If it's 33% a survival game then it's not popular for its survival.

As opposed to survival games that are actually about survival. Rimworld, for one. There's no question that that's a survival game. Or Rust, or so many others.

Let me clear this up -- I never said "survival isn't a thing in Minecraft". You're arguing against a point I never made. I said that Minecraft isn't popularly regarded as a "survival game". If you ask someone on the street to describe Minecraft, they're not going to say a survival game. They're going to say digital LEGO, or something describing its blocks, its virtual worlds, its building. Minecraft can be played as a survival game but that's not its selling point or innovation. You guys are being stubborn in a way only gamers are stubborn, arguing semantics.
    You are the one being stubborn here. There's a reason why minecraft bestiary is popular. Anybody could recognize what's a creeper and what it does in game and this is a survival element. Everyone know there are survival elements in Minecraft.

Of course, building is important in Minecraft but there are few survival games without any building side since Minecraft came out. You're thinking the wrong way. You just have to see how many games are introducing base building just because Minecraft has made this kind of thing standard in any survival games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    For sure, this is the really wierd part. No spectacle, no cinematic, no conference no nothing. Just a single FB post and nothing else. That's really fucking odd.
    No conference no nothing. Yeah prob there is only just concept nothin else right now. I would expect more new maybe late this year. But nothin more like few concept arts at this stage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Why call it a game announcement when in fact it's a recruitment poster
    Its recruitment announcement !

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    It's funny and a little sad how far people have to reach to be instantly negative. Sceptical? Sure, maybe survival games aren't for you, but some of these clowns in here fucking lol.

Like I know blizzard personally came over to your house and killed your puppy while simultaneously raping your childhood by not making a game you like anymore but jesus christ.
    I completely agree with you. I'm starting to get embarrassed coming to these forums by how insanely negative these people get.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Little late to this genre.
    Its never to late. The clue is to handle it right. They sucked up with moba just because of their stupid statement and brawl with IceFrog.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    They sucked up with moba just because of their stupid statement and brawl with IceFrog.
    Sure, let's call the "you can make DotA on Starcraft 2 for free for us!" offer a brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    What happened to their commitment to not announce games too early? Did that leave with Mike Morhaime too?
    maybe they announced that commitment a bit too early

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard: This is your call to adventure. Will you answer it?

Me: Uh ok yes I got my resume here and clearly the exp for it as well!

Blizzard: Please tell us your gender, race, and sexually

Me: Uh what has my gender, race, and sex to do with my ability to do this job?

Blizzard: Sorry we are looking for someone with more diversity…

Me: Will you at least just look at my CV I got way more exp and refs than anyone you can get…

Blizzard: We are sorry but diversity is key, please try again next time…

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could be good if they take Valheim route.
    Survivals are fun with friends, judging by the negativity towards the genre it's safe to assume most of people here don't have any.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Not at all. Nearly none was playing RTS before Starcraft. There was a niche and Blizzard actually went for it and nailed it.
    Blizzard cites the popularity and success of Command and Conquer as the reason why they went with "orcs in space" of Starcraft. There were also multiple RTS games at the trade shows because everyone was trying to capitalize on that success. RTS was already mainstream and popular before Starcraft. Blizzard just did what they are known for. Taking the successful model of others and refining and polishing it into a huge success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    But then no game is truly survival because all survival games have some kind of building element and the like to them. Subnautica isn't a survival game because it is 50% a building and exploration game. You are simply looking for a way to discredit minecraft because it doesn't fit and are throwing around arbitrary distinctions of how much % a game has to have to be a "real" survival game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    No. Starcraft just helped keep it popular but RTS was already "mainstream" prior to its release.
    starcraft made RTS popular, the custom map maker versatility was massive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    starcraft made RTS popular, the custom map maker versatility was massive.
    It was already popular before Starcraft. Blizzard cites the popularity and success of C&C for why they went with "orcs in space" and created Starcraft. They also heavily revised the game after worried about another RTS at a trade show. Nothing is taken away from the amazing success of Starcraft by acknowledging that they were not the first to popularize and bring the genre "mainstream".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Interesting and good to see Blizzard finally working on something new. However, it's tempered by the fact that they are just hiring for this new game now. For most publishers this means a minimum of 2-3 years before this has any hope of release. For Blizzard I'd put it closer to 5 years. Just a cartoony Rust or Subnautica clone would be a hard skip, especially by the time it's released. So Blizzard playing it safe and going into an already crowded survival genre with a new game that's likely at least a few years away, it's going to need to be exceptional and add something innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Most games are late to their genre, does that means those games should be cancelled?
    No, but it means they could potentially miss out on thousands (and thousands) of people that have either found a good game in this genre already or who have been put off by previous bad games and are gone from the genre forever. And that it probably won't be well received since the hype for survival games is in the past. And with everything STILL going on at Blizzard this was not the ideal time to release this news.

Seemed like a decent job posting though. If people still want to go work for Blizzard...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    And that it probably won't be well received since the hype for survival games is in the past.
    Valheim and its massive popularity happened last year. It is even still a "early access" game though that doesn't mean much anymore. Fears of being late to a genre are highly over blown because all it takes is one good game to revive interest.