The whole situation seems not much different from Cuba in the 60s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    What's bullshit?

The US doesn't fight wars of solidarity or humanitarian need. Those are opportunistic secondary objectives and used to keep taxpayers at bay but US foreign policy since WW2 has been about clout and maintaining regional influence.
    It was the same before and even during WW2. The whole US involvement in WW2 was about "let's make Europe our bitch while they are in ruins"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    It was the same before and even during WW2. The whole US involvement in WW2 was about "let's make Europe our bitch while they are in ruins"
    Just because the US wanted to make sure it got the better side of the bargains in the post-WW2 era that doesn't mean we weren't legitimately interested in mutually beneficial transactions that would allow Europe to build itself back up and restore peace and economic activity on the continent.

There's a distinction between self-promotion within an alliance and actually wanting to be evil to our biggest ally in the world.

And how would have it been different with any other country ? This is how our world works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And how would have it been different with any other country ? This is how our world works.
    Right, so it should be no surprise when people call out people in the US being war drums and trying to appeal to morality.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I don't know about the average citizens of Moscow, but this Putin guy is literally the devil upon reading more about him and the daily news. I don't see how anyone can race to defend such a man and his administration. I'm more disappointed by this Biden's constantly ineffectual gestures at trying to get him to pipe down. "Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions" are not even remotely perturbing this guy, but it's all Biden can ever say.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Ah, here we go, more myths. I like how you have dropped the whole pretense you had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Not saying it was wrong or unnatural. Stalin did the same thing with his part of Europe, after all

Right, so it should be no surprise when people call out people in the US being war drums and trying to appeal to morality.
    Us might not be a "perfect democracy" but still far better than Russia for instance. So still better on a morality stand point.

The WW3 memes should be spicy as hell.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I don't know about the average citizens of Moscow, but this Putin guy is literally the devil upon reading more about him and the daily news. I don't see how anyone can race to defend such a man and his administration. I'm more disappointed by this Biden's constantly ineffectual gestures at trying to get him to pipe down. "Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions" are not even remotely perturbing this guy, but it's all Biden can ever say.
    You know you could always just go from r/worldnews to r/russia to see average citizens?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions" are not even remotely perturbing this guy, but it's all Biden can ever say.
    Because it's the only thing you can really do and even that remains to be seen, given how EU is far from a single front on magnitude of those.

I know you get a hard on from seeing/wishing for actual hot war between the major powers everywhere, but in the end it's a non-starter bullshit. Heck, the guy above is right - you can't solve NK issue with military and that's a starving commie state running on fumes with a few nukes that won't be a threat to US itself ever and you think US/EU/NATO gonna threaten Russia with war? Whom are you even kidding?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that said - do not underestimate the weight of actual unified and concrete sanctions either. It's really a history there - USSR was not brought down by a bunch of yanks and cockneys shooting up Kremlin. But by a combined costs of Cold War isolation coupled with their foolish and pointless ventures, such as Afghanistan.

And while I am certain the whatever sanctions US/EU will muster to agree on, Russia could handle for a very long while - ultimately this is the actual viable way to make a change. It would just take decades to stick and by then I'm sure there will be some another "reset" agreement anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is, of course in the end just how far US/EU is actually ready to take it - because these sanctions are a double edged sword and EU is far from unanimously willing to be a whipping boy taking the backlash for US grandstanding.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2022-01-27 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Good luck with draft dodging to my American and British friends, I still have hope the rest of us stays out of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Good luck with draft dodging to my American and British friends, I still have hope the rest of us stays out of this.
    Imagine trying to carry out a draft when you can't get people to wear a mask.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Imagine trying to carry out a draft when you can't get people to wear a mask.
    Oh, that is easy, they will just have to do the draft under a GoP president and it will be a lot easier to get the anti-mask crowd.

"Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Nope. Try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    THE END IS NIGH!

or not.

"Soldier kills his unit due to mistreatment" is fairly common story through the world; especially in armies as badly managed as Ukrainian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    "Soldier kills his unit due to mistreatment" is fairly common story through the world; especially in armies as badly managed as Ukrainian.
    Russian army must be badly mismanaged then.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN27P13H
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50184909