Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

State GOPs Pushing 71 Bills Restricting Speech

Ongoing: Its always projection and gaslighting

For years, people on the right have complained about the supposed left-wing assault on free speech. Media coverage, relative to the scope of this free speech attack, is scant.

Today, Republican state legislators are proposing legislation to restrict what teachers can say in their classrooms. This trend started in 2021, ten such bills have already become law, but has dramatically accelerated in the first few weeks of this year. A new report by PEN America found that in the first three weeks of 2022 "71 bills have been introduced or prefiled in state legislatures across the country" to restrict the speech of teachers.
    Since January 2021, 122 educational gag order bills have been introduced or prefiled in 33 different states
    10 have become law in 9 states
    88 are currently live
    Of those currently live:
    • 84 target K-12 schools
    • 38 target higher education
    • 48 include a mandatory punishment for those found in violation

A closer look at bills introduced or prefiled so far in 2022 reveals a significant escalation in both scale and severity. Forty-six percent of this year’s bills explicitly target speech in higher education (versus 26 percent in 2021) and 55 percent include some kind of mandatory punishment for violators (versus 37 percent in 2021). Fifteen also include a private right of action. This provision, which we analyzed in an earlier post, gives students, parents, or even ordinary citizens the right to sue schools and recover damages in court.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tennes...hic-novel-maus

They wanna ban fuckin Maus from schools because of - "God Damn" and "naked drawings" that I assume are of the cats and mice the book is about.

Man, that's a great book for helping teach kids history in a more engaging way rather than just reading a history book. Shame that Republicans seem so prudish and opposed to free speech that they're censoring books teaching teens about the Holocaust in a manner appropriate for their age written by literal survivors of the Holocaust.

It's also the only graphic novel to win a Pulitzer.

Though I don't think anyone has credibly accused Republicans of having good taste when it comes to entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/tennes...hic-novel-maus

They wanna ban fuckin Maus from schools because of - "God Damn" and "naked drawings" that I assume are of the cats and mice the book is about.
    Neil Gaiman said it best, “There’s only one kind of people who would vote to ban Maus, whatever they are calling themselves these days.”

10+ Year Old Account
    So let's get this straight. The same ridiculous ass-clowns who compare wearing a mask into a Wal-Mart with the Holocaust are trying to ban a book about the Holocaust?
    Maybe they're just trying to prevent educated teenagers for realizing how mind-bogglingly stupid the current Republican Party is?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The GOP don't want kids reading it 'cause then they might look at their parents/grandparents and realize how very similar they are to the bad guys in the book.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Of all of the disturbing things in Maus's account of the Holocaust, they'd choose that?!

I still remember the one that tried to use their wealth to bribe the nazis to let them go, and was taken and killed with all the rest. Total despair and hopelessness.

I was maybe 13 reading that. We cannot let nazis take over this country. Children must know how bad things can get, did get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    So let's get this straight. The same ridiculous ass-clowns who compare wearing a mask into a Wal-Mart with the Holocaust are trying to ban a book about the Holocaust?
    Maybe they're just trying to prevent educated teenagers for realizing how mind-bogglingly stupid the current Republican Party is?
    Bingo /10char

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think most of them are just authoritarians. I think we should go in the exact opposite direction, all speech is harmless except speech that incites physical violence or measurable damage, imo.

Reading the article ... oh "educational gag orders." All biased discussion of how bad it is, no mentioning of weighting parental rights in their kids education and concerns over school choice.

You might as well have linked the Federalist society saying activist judges were destroying America, or Turning Point USA's list of the top 20 morally bankrupt things happening this week in legislatures.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    You might as well have linked the Federalist society saying activist judges were destroying America, or Turning Point USA's list of the top 20 morally bankrupt things happening this week in legislatures.
    Except that these things are actually happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading the article ... oh "educational gag orders." All biased discussion of how bad it is, no mentioning of weighting parental rights in their kids education and concerns over school choice.
    Frankly, public education exists precisely because most parents are supremely shit at determining what their children should or should not be exposed to. To pick an example that's been in the news recently, the Pulitzer-Prize-winning graphic novel Maus, about the Holocaust. Presuming your kids are age-appropriate (by which we mean able to understand the themes and read at that level, so anywhere from pre-teens on really), the only parents who could have a problem with it being assigned are, literally or sympathetically, Nazis.

Period.

And I really don't give a shit what a Nazi parent wants their children to not read. We'll educate your children out from under your bigotry, thanks, and the Nazi parents can fuck off and eat a barrel of dicks about it.

If parents "concerns" push propaganda (whether religious or extremist) on their children, or other harmful concepts, and they're opposed to their children learning the truth of such matters, those parents are abusive and their "concerns" should only be considered in the coming evaluation by Child Protection Services.

Except that shit's just clickbait propaganda bullshit.

There's no equivalence there.

... oh "educational gag orders."
    Yes. They are limiting what can or can't be taught in schools, and in some cases pushing explicit right-wing propaganda.

no mentioning of weighting parental rights in their kids education
    The GOP doesn't give a flying fuck about parental rights. If a school district has mostly liberal/left-leaning parents, they don't get the choice anymore because the GOP said so. This is entirely about getting rid of ideas or analytical frameworks they don't like.

Also: a) public education, in part, exists because parents are imperfect people with biases, and good citizens need to be exposed to ideas broader than what they might be exposed to at home, and b) individual parents don't have the "right" to decide what districts do or don't teach, since (and it may come as a shock to these parents) there are thousands of other parents in their district that probably have some different ideas and preferences from them. This is what school board elections are for.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

no mentioning of weighting parental rights in their kids education and concerns over school choice.
    How about the concerns of the parents that aren't white? Jewish parents are concerned when holocaust books are being banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    How about the concerns of the parents that aren't white? Jewish parents are concerned when holocaust books are being banned.
    And to be clear, the "concern" on the former is "but maybe our kids will learn the scale of atrocity that our bigoted and fascist views represent", and the concern on the latter is "if kids aren't informed about these things, we'll be at the front of the extermination lists the next time fascism gets another foothold."

Only one of those is a real "concern". And it ain't the former.

All biased discussion of how bad it is, no mentioning of weighting parental rights in their kids education and concerns over school choice.
    Why do conservative parents think it's their right to keep their children ignorant of reality?

Its as if these people aren't aware kids have unrestricted access to the internet. Whatever it is you don't want your kid to see, they've already seen it.

Even if they aren't stupid and realize this fact (they aren't) and simply want to use book banning as a fear/control tactic, it's still idiotic because it just shines a light on the books. More people are going to read these books because they're banning them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Even if they aren't stupid and realize this fact (they aren't) and simply want to use book banning as a fear/control tactic, it's still idiotic because it just shines a light on the books. More people are going to read these books because they're banning them.
    Maus is currently sitting at #2 on the Amazon.com best sellers list.

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...ef=zg_bs_nav_0

Good job, morons. Art Spiegelman thanks you for getting everyone to buy and read what's probably his greatest work, once again.

I'd be buying a copy myself if I didn't already have a copy on my shelf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'd be buying a copy myself if I didn't already have a copy on my shelf.
    Buy a copy and put it in a Little Free Library somewhere in your town. That's what I did.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Florida don't say gay bill is yet even more proof that Republicans are Anti-LGBT.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Florida don't say gay bill is yet even more proof that Republicans are Anti-LGBT.
    Are they finally committed to what their constituents demand? They must be really desperate for re-election then