Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The supreme court is already a GOP mouthpiece unless he has fetish for 7 there's really no point.
    Alito and Thomas are in their 70s. They’re healthy until they’re not. Roberts and even Kegstand are showing more principles than the GOP would like and I’m sure McConnell would love to add some more Alitos to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Alito and Thomas are in their 70s. They’re healthy until they’re not. Roberts and even Kegstand are showing more principles than the GOP would like and I’m sure McConnell would love to add some more Alitos to the bench.
    But they don't need to last that long just until the next republican president they aren't in Ginsburg territory.

https://www.salon.com/2022/01/27/why...-on-the-as-an/

Fairly good piece on Salon looking into the racist backlash amongst conservative media to the likelyhood that Biden's nominee will be a Black woman. Even if a shortlist hasn't even ben released.

What's their opposition?

Biden didn't mention the Supreme Court nominee's legal qualifications or judicial philosophy or ability to perform one of the most important jobs in the country. He didn't even tell us she was a nice person. All he said was she's going to be Black and she's going to be female, because to him, that's all that matters.
    That's Hannity, apparently unable to consider the possibility that there are many Black women in the judiciary who are qualified for the job.

He sneeringly suggested George Floyd's sister, Bridget Floyd, is the "obvious choice," because even though she "is not a judge or a lawyer or whatever," Biden supposedly doesn't care about "this law stuff."
    Tucker Carlson, just being outright racist without even the dog whistle. He's just using a racist whistle now, but on himself.

Ed Whelan of the National Review wrote a piece earlier this month claiming "black women are massively overrepresented among Biden's appellate picks" and that "the big losers (I take some delight in noting) are liberal white males."
    The writers at National Review are pretty pissed as well, apparently correcting past issues with promoting a diverse judiciary is bad.

Carrie Severino of the Judicial Crisis Network tweeted that "The Left bullied Justice Breyer into retirement"
    They're very concerned about Breyer - who repeatedly batted down rumors that he was being pressured to resign last year - resigning under pressure. Concern that seemed completely absent when Justice Kennedy announced his resignation.

On Fox News, Sean Hannity whined that it was "gender discrimination" for Biden to try to rectify the wild imbalance towards men with a female nominee.
    And now we have complaints about "gender discrimination" based on...uh...nothing, apparently. Biden can nominate whomever he wants, any president can.

"Whoever gets nominated, I'm going to say that that person -- be they male or female, or nonbinary -- did something really bad to me,"
    And the comedy stylings of Greg Gutfeld over at Fox continue to be...uh...words? I don't know, this goes back to the topic that conservatives aren't funny and don't understand humor but that's a topic for another thread.

"So this person has to be a woman, she's got to be Black and she has to be younger," Fox News host Harris Faulkner said. "Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? They don't know what to do with Kamala Harris in the White House right now."
    And their making bad faith "predictions" about Harris based on...uh...she's unpopular and this is red meat for their viewers.

None of this is to say that Biden should break his promise to nominate a Black woman. Fox News has its narrative built in without even knowing who the nominee is. There is nothing Biden can say or do that will mollify them. Any nominee — even the blandest white guy — would be spun as a secret agent of antifa and Black Lives Matter and a communist plant. Biden should simply go forward with his promise. Let the Republican reaction expose them as the racist misogynists they are.
    And this is why, as always, bad faith, dishonest Republicans and conservative media should be wholly ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    nO oNe WaNtS tO wOrK aNyMoRe!
    Nice #SlatePitch!

Though, a thread about Anti Work would be morbidly hilarious. It's a bigger third rail than criticizing the darling podcaster or Instagram waifu of online-addicts.

McConnell may not do anything for the simplest reason of all, he's already won. The supreme court is already a GOP mouthpiece unless he has fetish for 7 there's really no point. The democrats don't have the balls to fix it so replacing on liberal judge with another makes no difference, he may want to expand his faux outrage somewhere else.
    That's assuming no other judges die or retire through the rest of Biden's Term. Thomas and Alito are both in their 70's.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That's assuming no other judges die or retire through the rest of Biden's Term. Thomas and Alito are both in their 70's.
    And both in largely good health as far as I know. It's unlikely either will retire, unless unforseen health issues come up (and even then it's iffy since they can still work while receiving treatment), for at least another decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And both in largely good health as far as I know. It's unlikely either will retire, unless unforseen health issues come up (and even then it's iffy since they can still work while receiving treatment), for at least another decade.
    That's very true... and I'm not saying either one of them is on death's door. I'm just saying that McConnell knows trhat a majority right now is not a majority forever. Every youngish conservative judge he can get on the SC extends that majority. Unless Biden decides to raise the number of SC judges.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-bide...d32d99e63.html

In which McConnell dishonestly complains about Biden "outsourcing his pick to the radical left" without a hint of irony.

Do you want to know who actually outsources their judicial picks? Republicans. Almost every judge nominated and approved by them is on either/both the Heritage Foundation and Federalist Society shortlists of activist conservative judges that the groups have groomed.

Once again, the Republican party is the party of psychological projection, accusing Democrats, once again, of bad behavior that the Republican party themselves are responsible for/engaging in.

But they don't need to last that long just until the next republican president they aren't in Ginsburg territory.
    McConnell doesn’t strike me as the kind of person who leaves something to chance.

If he lets the Breyer’s replacement sail through I might have to assume he was given a compelling reason for doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.salon.com/2022/01/27/why...-on-the-as-an/

Fairly good piece on Salon looking into the racist backlash amongst conservative media to the likelyhood that Biden's nominee will be a Black woman. Even if a shortlist hasn't even ben released.

What's their opposition?

That's Hannity, apparently unable to consider the possibility that there are many Black women in the judiciary who are qualified for the job.

Tucker Carlson, just being outright racist without even the dog whistle. He's just using a racist whistle now, but on himself.

The writers at National Review are pretty pissed as well, apparently correcting past issues with promoting a diverse judiciary is bad.

They're very concerned about Breyer - who repeatedly batted down rumors that he was being pressured to resign last year - resigning under pressure. Concern that seemed completely absent when Justice Kennedy announced his resignation.

And now we have complaints about "gender discrimination" based on...uh...nothing, apparently. Biden can nominate whomever he wants, any president can.

And the comedy stylings of Greg Gutfeld over at Fox continue to be...uh...words? I don't know, this goes back to the topic that conservatives aren't funny and don't understand humor but that's a topic for another thread.

And their making bad faith "predictions" about Harris based on...uh...she's unpopular and this is red meat for their viewers.

And this is why, as always, bad faith, dishonest Republicans and conservative media should be wholly ignored.
    Just to make the point; if your response to a proposal to elevate a black woman to the bench is to complain that you'd rather the decision be made on merit, what you're actually saying is that you're an enormous fucking racist and/or misogynist who doesn't think a black woman could have sufficient merit to warrant that elevation. That her race and/or gender identity should disqualify her for lack of merit.

That's what you're saying. Every time. You aren't talking about merit, you're conflating merit with "white masculinity". That's just empty bigotry, and you can fuck off if that's your viewpoint.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-01-27 at 08:09 PM.

Do you honestly believe that McConnell is wouldn't jump on any opportunity to install another conservative on the Supreme Court simply because he's got a majority right now?

Getting conservative judges on any court has been his goal for a good long time now.

Evil doesn't die that easy especially when it has unlimited money.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you honestly believe that McConnell is wouldn't jump on any opportunity to install another conservative on the Supreme Court simply because he's got a majority right now?

Getting conservative judges on any court has been his goal for a good long time now.
    Of course he would be it's not feasible right now and he has no power to stop it since he's already won and makes no difference he can play it a number of ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    McConnell doesn’t strike me as the kind of person who leaves something to chance.

If he lets the Breyer’s replacement sail through I might have to assume he was given a compelling reason for doing it.
    He also realistically can't stop it the most he can do is try to push for a centrist candidate something Biden is likely to do anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Rush Limbaugh was, what, 70?
    I don't think the Justices are doing as many drugs as Limbaugh

Roflmao. That’s hilarious. Many of these assholes on SCOTUS used a ton of drugs. Some may still do. And Limbaugh died from cancer, not his pills. I don’t look at Thomas and immediately think, “Oooo that guy takes care of himself.”
    I am going by what we know about them sure they are morbidly obese but look at Dick Cheney, at the least they got 10 years more than enough time for another republican president.

Look at Kavanaugh’s hearing. You think that guy isn’t using something? And while Thomas is mostly just fat, he’s also someone who is known to abuse his power. You honestly think he never did coke in the 80s?
    A lot of people didn't do coke in the 80s also McConnell is 79 the odds of him outliving them is small. Let's also face reality there's a high chance that Trump will win in 2024 the Jim Crow laws are to make sure of that if he loses then almost zero chance of democrats winning in 2028. These justices are good Nazi soldiers who will step down when they are told.

10+ Year Old Account
    As he has only announced he will retire, do they have to wait until Breyer is actually retired to appoint his replacement, or can they appoint one 'in waiting'?
    Wiping is Fun! ™

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    As he has only announced he will retire, do they have to wait until Breyer is actually retired to appoint his replacement, or can they appoint one 'in waiting'?
    Yes and no.

There isn't really a required set of procedures to follow, save for Breyer officially resigning his seat. Breyer saying he will retire means he will (I think he could renege but there would be no reason, as he wants a Democrat to appoint his replacement). At some point he will officially resign, leaving the seat open, and then the new nominated candidate will be sworn in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    Announcing his retirement just gives Biden's people time to properly vet potential nominees. Because the Republicans are already spewing fire about the fact that Biden has already said he intends to nominate a black female instead of "whoever the most qualified candidate is¹". Biden needs to ensure that whoever he does nominate is beyond reproach². That way the only angle left for the Republicans to attack is the fact that she is a black woman.

¹) There is no such thing as "the most qualified candidate". The constitution has very little qualifications for someone to become a Supreme Court Justice. You don't even have to have gone to Law School to be a Supreme Court Justice.

²) Because while the Republicans had no issues appointing The Honourable Brent "Kegstand" Kavanaugh (who was never actually proven to be an alcoholic rapist) any black female appointed by Biden is going to be subjected to much higher scrutiny by the GOP.

Announcing his retirement just gives Biden's people time to properly vet potential nominees. Because the Republicans are already spewing fire about the fact that Biden has already said he intends to nominate a black female instead of "whoever the most qualified candidate is¹". Biden needs to ensure that whoever he does nominate is beyond reproach². That way the only angle left for the Republicans to attack is the fact that she is a black woman.

¹) There is no such thing as "the most qualified candidate". The constitution has very little qualifications for someone to become a Supreme Court Justice. You don't even have to have gone to Law School to be a Supreme Court Justice.

²) Because while the Republicans had no issues appointing The Honourable Brent "Kegstand" Kavanaugh (who was never actually proven to be an alcoholic rapist) any black female appointed by Biden is going to be subjected to much higher scrutiny by the GOP.
    The GOP doesn't really matter and they are fine with being openly racist nowadays, at this point them showing up in congress in full Nazi or KKK outfits wouldn't make a difference.

The GOP doesn't really matter and they are fine with being openly racist nowadays, at this point them showing up in congress in full Nazi or KKK outfits wouldn't make a difference.
    Oh yeah, I'm well aware the GOP doesn't care about their blatant racism and hypocrisy. I just point it out for the next person in this thread that tries to pull the "the job should go to the most qualified person... not just a black female" bullshit.