Page 63 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Leicester’s net spend over the last 5 years is in line with Chelsea and Liverpool. It’s £112m for Leicester, £133m for Chelsea and £92m for Liverpool. It’s not dramatically far off.
    That Leicester number seems crazy when thinking they sold their best players, Mahrez, Maguire, Chilwell, Drinkwater (ha!), for over 200m, I doubt they could get that for their entire team now.

But transfer fees are really becoming a smaller part of the picture while contracts have become outrageous and if they run down while the player is in good form clubs are being held to ransom, look at Rudigers demands and Salahs gonna cost about 180million to keep for another 4 years if reports are to be believed.

- - - Updated - - -

Comoros will have to play with an outfield player in goal against Cameroon in the AFCON

While it seems crazy in this day and age I kinda miss when this would occasionally happen during a match in the league if a keeper got injured or sent off. Anyone old enough to remember Glenn Hoddle keeping a clean sheet against Man Utd in the cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post

Comoros will have to play with an outfield player in goal against Cameroon in the AFCON

While it seems crazy in this day and age I kinda miss when this would occasionally happen during a match in the league if a keeper got injured or sent off. Anyone old enough to remember Glenn Hoddle keeping a clean sheet against Man Utd in the cup?
    Hes been alright tbh but having 10men since minute 6 hasn't helped. This AFCON has really been the Amateur cup of nations, I've watched alot of it because im a degenerate gambler and have been betting but its been really fucking poor. Gonna be a long time before an African nation does anything at a world cup of note.

Remember when Rio was in goal. Always funny.

That Leicester number seems crazy when thinking they sold their best players, Mahrez, Maguire, Chilwell, Drinkwater (ha!), for over 200m, I doubt they could get that for their entire team now.

But transfer fees are really becoming a smaller part of the picture while contracts have become outrageous and if they run down while the player is in good form clubs are being held to ransom, look at Rudigers demands and Salahs gonna cost about 180million to keep for another 4 years if reports are to be believed.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo, and I said that in another post. Transfers are one thing. Salaries, training centres, stadium management, it’s all driven by financial resources. And these big clubs can do it all.

another afcon game thats a complete farce lol, mane and the cape verde keeper just nuked eachother, both ko'd.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    another afcon game thats a complete farce lol, mane and the cape verde keeper just nuked eachother, both ko'd.
    Im amazed watching these games its like Sunday football a lot of the time, both the playing, tactics and the officiating. The final whistle at 85 mins was a wtf moment of the season. Some of the tackles would be straight reds in the Prem. I mean all that is kind of fun in a way and Im a big fan of grass roots football but I dont expect to see it in an inter-continental tournament.

You hear a lot about how African football has progressed but even Salah, Marez, Mane etc look like clowns in this competition.

Though Comoros take some credit home.

Oh and teams having to come by boat to the tournament.
    Last edited by Marleycat; 2022-01-25 at 06:24 PM.

Im amazed watching these games its like Sunday football a lot of the time, both the playing, tactics and the officiating. The final whistle at 85 mins was a wtf moment of the season. Some of the tackles would be straight reds in the Prem. I mean all that is kind of fun in a way and Im a big fan of grass roots football but I dont expect to see it in an inter-continental tournament.

You hear a lot about how African football has progressed but even Salah, Marez, Mane etc look like clowns in this competition.

Though Comoros take some credit home.

Oh and teams having to come by boat to the tournament.
    mane being allowed to stay on the pitch after being knocked out is a joke. Same with the keeper (who got set off) refusing to leave and stumbling around the pitch groggy. Very unsafe.

playing the wrong national anthems, people dying in stampedes. Really bad tournament.

That goal from Malawi was a worldie tho.

Transfer expenditure isn't the only element of financial muscle as far as a club is concerned, don't be so naive. They manage to cover wages, which is key to player retention. Their infrastructure is excellent, and they manage to attract a higher class of manager than other clubs. All of that is possible due to financial muscle. Ajax's European history means jack squat today. City might have faltered in Europe, but they're dominating a domestic league that is far superior to the Dutch one. Pound for pound, City will always be ahead of these clubs barring a catastrophic collapse.
    I am not exactly sure if you arguing in my favour here tbh. Of course all that extra costs you mention matter and they make the difference in the bill even bigger. Do you think City spent 100m for Grealish in order to pay him peanuts? Lukaku at Chelsea plays for free because all the money went to the 90m transfer fee? What do you think VVD and Alison get at Liverpool as the most expensive defender and most expensive goalkeeper in the world? Meanwhile, Sancho gets 300k per week on top of that 70+ million fee, never mind DDG at 350k/week. Who gets anywhere near that money at Leicester that, on top of that, still has a transfer record of 40m for Tielemans?

Anyway, this discussion has gone enough IMO, agreed to disagree on this I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I am not exactly sure if you arguing in my favour here tbh. Of course all that extra costs you mention matter and they make the difference in the bill even bigger. Do you think City spent 100m for Grealish in order to pay him peanuts? Lukaku at Chelsea plays for free because all the money went to the 90m transfer fee? What do you think VVD and Alison get at Liverpool as the most expensive defender and most expensive goalkeeper in the world? Meanwhile, Sancho gets 300k per week on top of that 70+ million fee, never mind DDG at 350k/week. Who gets anywhere near that money at Leicester that, on top of that, still has a transfer record of 40m for Tielemans?

Anyway, this discussion has gone enough IMO, agreed to disagree on this I guess.
    Erm, you mentioned how Leicester’s low spend was sign of a club using ‘structure’ and not money. I’ve pointed out clearly that even Leicester aren’t some ‘structure’ only club. They spend a lot on running the club, so shouldn’t be seen as some unique case study. They are ALSO a financial powerhouse compared to other clubs in the League and across Europe.

Now, separate to them; Man City. They can do it ALL, but essentially on steroids. Hence they will be ahead of even the financially well off clubs like Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Leicester and Spurs. It’s a different game for them.

Erm, you mentioned how Leicester’s low spend was sign of a club using ‘structure’ and not money. I’ve pointed out clearly that even Leicester aren’t some ‘structure’ only club. They spend a lot on running the club, so shouldn’t be seen as some unique case study. They are ALSO a financial powerhouse compared to other clubs in the League and across Europe.

Now, separate to them; Man City. They can do it ALL, but essentially on steroids. Hence they will be ahead of even the financially well off clubs like Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Leicester and Spurs. It’s a different game for them.
    Leicester winning the title was branded as potentially the biggest against-the-odds win of the League in the history of English football, but off course everyone is out of their minds because they are a "fInAncIaL PoWErHouSe" and as such it should be expected and perfectly normal. If that's what you want to believe mate, be my guest and all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    Leicester winning the title was branded as potentially the biggest against-the-odds win of the League in the history of English football, but off course everyone is out of their minds because they are a "fInAncIaL PoWErHouSe" and as such it should be expected and perfectly normal. If that's what you want to believe mate, be my guest and all the best.
    They won the League in a season where all the bigger hitters were either going through transition or just having internal chaos. 81 points won it. Did Leicester City over perform in that particular year? Yup. Have they done anything similar since? NOPE. It was a freak season.

It's not a standard bearer for what they've achieved since.

THAT SAID, they're far more financially capable of consistently challenging for top 5-6 spots in the League than other teams, and should be doing even better if it wasn't for a frankly overrated manager in Brendan Rodgers. So yeah, you keep trying to pretend like 'oh look structure can beat money'. No, they have money. They also have a decent structure. It's why they're a top 5/6 team. Maybe you're bitter that United are incapable of using their immense financial power to consistently achieve more? I dunno. But take your pettiness elsewhere. Or don't. I don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think anyone said what you think they’re saying, and I think you killed the thread with your argument over it because it’s tedious.

You need both. That is absolutely without question to win things consistently. Leicester built up over what? 7-8 years to what they are now, Man City over a decade. Building the structure doesn’t come over night and isn’t measured in net spends on the last year. And compared to United’s spending since Fergie left, on fees and salaries which blows pretty much everyone else out of the water, but with no plan it means fuck all.

Now can we please move on.

why the fok is there no prem this week. Also lol burnley on 18 games is still funny to me. Ben Mee fantasy captian when he has to play 4 games in a week. 6 games less the chelsea crazy.

Newcastle spending like crazy, i really do hope its for nothing and they get relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I don’t think anyone said what you think they’re saying, and I think you killed the thread with your argument over it because it’s tedious.

You need both. That is absolutely without question to win things consistently. Leicester built up over what? 7-8 years to what they are now, Man City over a decade. Building the structure doesn’t come over night and isn’t measured in net spends on the last year. And compared to United’s spending since Fergie left, on fees and salaries which blows pretty much everyone else out of the water, but with no plan it means fuck all.

Now can we please move on.
    That's what I said? That you can't just have structure. You need the money. Even good structure will only go so far. Money is THE propellant.

We can move on. It's not my fault some United fans are upset that the club has money but can't sort the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    why the fok is there no prem this week. Also lol burnley on 18 games is still funny to me. Ben Mee fantasy captian when he has to play 4 games in a week. 6 games less the chelsea crazy.

Newcastle spending like crazy, i really do hope its for nothing and they get relegated.
    I love how Newcastle were trying to convince everyone they'd 'build a self sustaining model'. My arse. Already spending big.

Hearing the news about Greenwood and I feel both anger, disappointment and disgust. One of my favorite talents to have emerged from the academy in some time and I was hoping his problems on the pitch this season (showing a big ego) was simply down to him being a striker and wanting the ball to score - similar to other big strikers like your Ibrahimovics and Ronaldo. But definitely seems to have stretched outside the pitch and the fact he seems to think he can do what he wants because he's a bigshot Man Utd player is horrible.

This really puts a damper on an otherwise exciting weekend (last few days of transfer window with lots of things happening). Hard to see a way back for him from this and given the evidence there's really not much to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    Hearing the news about Greenwood and I feel both anger, disappointment and disgust. One of my favorite talents to have emerged from the academy in some time and I was hoping his problems on the pitch this season (showing a big ego) was simply down to him being a striker and wanting the ball to score - similar to other big strikers like your Ibrahimovics and Ronaldo. But definitely seems to have stretched outside the pitch and the fact he seems to think he can do what he wants because he's a bigshot Man Utd player is horrible.

This really puts a damper on an otherwise exciting weekend (last few days of transfer window with lots of things happening). Hard to see a way back for him from this and given the evidence there's really not much to say.
    Its horrendous. Theres probably no coming back for him now.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Its horrendous. Theres probably no coming back for him now.
    Really can't wrap my head around these footballers who have the world in front of their feet and they do such vile things. Greenwood but you also had other (different) situations with Mendy at City for example. I guess it's like that saying that becoming a celebrity goes to your head and it's really horrendous like you said.

Really can't wrap my head around these footballers who have the world in front of their feet and they do such vile things. Greenwood but you also had other (different) situations with Mendy at City for example. I guess it's like that saying that becoming a celebrity goes to your head and it's really horrendous like you said.
    These people are who they are, no matter if they go pro or not in football. In any case, the fact that he is a pro footballer in MUFC will probably only help him. Lawyers and all that stuff. Even though he is on the top and will fall, he is still in a position were he will get any kind of help he needs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Greenwood can fuck off. The evidence is pretty overwhelming, he can go join Mendy. I’m not even that surprised with him, as horrible as it is, getting sent home from England for chasing girls is a pretty big red flag.

As for transfers, not that interesting at all. Can’t get rid of anyone and can’t afford to bring anyone in. So weird to not be really any hints of anything, nobody is even making stuff up.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2022-01-30 at 10:49 AM.

I know we have a bloated squad (lack depths in some areas but overall too many players on our payroll) but I still find it strange we're not even willing to take a punt at someone like Zakaria reportedly available for a transfer for like 7-8 million. Sure we will get a new manager in the summer but considering our CM options and the fact we have a very hard spring season ahead to try and salvage 4th with other teams around us looking better, you'd still think taking that risk for a fairly small transfer sum wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Matic is on his last legs anyways. Best case you make a smart signing fairly cheap who would bring some CM quality, worst case he doesn't step up to the PL level but we didn't spend that much so we can probably sell him and get some money back.

Only reason not to do anything now is if you're 100% gonna go for someone like Rice in the summer and you'd rather spend big there than make a more 'budget signing' now.

surrounded by people telling them they are amazing all the time from childhood, no real consequences for doing anything, if you fall out with friends on a night out and you want to keep them you sort it out, they get new friends that tell them they are great, earning in a year more than i am likely to in a lifetime, it seems like it can just erode your character.

I hope his girlfriend can get over this quickly and live happily

fuck him

- - - Updated - - -

I know we have a bloated squad (lack depths in some areas but overall too many players on our payroll) but I still find it strange we're not even willing to take a punt at someone like Zakaria reportedly available for a transfer for like 7-8 million. Sure we will get a new manager in the summer but considering our CM options and the fact we have a very hard spring season ahead to try and salvage 4th with other teams around us looking better, you'd still think taking that risk for a fairly small transfer sum wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Matic is on his last legs anyways. Best case you make a smart signing fairly cheap who would bring some CM quality, worst case he doesn't step up to the PL level but we didn't spend that much so we can probably sell him and get some money back.

Only reason not to do anything now is if you're 100% gonna go for someone like Rice in the summer and you'd rather spend big there than make a more 'budget signing' now.
    mostly agree, we just need a clear out, i honestly think we will scrape europe this year, nevermind top 4.

just a bloated squad and pogba looks like hes running his contract down 'injured' on top of it

just been on the united website and all the players on loan from the first team squad seem to be in black and white, lingard is also in black and white, did i miss something or am i just making the loan thing up?

https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/first-team