Page 1 of 34
... LastLast

If not Tinker, what then.

This is a question for you Tinker haters out there.

I already know that Tinker is the most probable class for 10.0, so probable that's it's practically a certainty.

Regardless, since many of you disagree, what then is the most realistic class to be added for 10.0.

Try to be neutral about it, no biasis. Using your deduction skills on what lore figures exist, themes that have been exhausted already, what class do you think has the highest chance of becoming a reality outside of your personal preference.

Maybe this exercise will help you see the light.

Tinkering is closer linked to engineering (mostly Goblin\Gnomish earlier on WoW) than it would be as a stand-alone class, regardless of how often people parrot that sentiment.

Not gonna happen.

I'm opposed to new classes as it is, there are too many already, and a nightmare to balance 36 specs over several types of content and damage profiles (st, aoe, cleave, pvp, m+, wtv), but if something really original and fleshed out was suggested, i wouldn't mind. Tinker just isn't it.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2022-02-04 at 05:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I also think Tinker is the next logical choice for a new class. However, if it's not Tinker, I think something along the lines of a "Dragon Knight" would make the most sense (especially if we are going to the Dragon Isles). Ideally a mail-wearing class, I think it would have specs based on the major Dragonflights, with spells and abilities that le you take on draconic forms.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Tinkering is closer linked to engineering (mostly Goblin\Gnomish earlier on WoW) than it would be as a stand-alone class, regardless of how often people parrot that sentiment.

Not gonna happen.

I'm opposed to new classes as it is, there are too many already, and a nightmare to balance 36 specs over several types of content and damage profiles (st, aoe, cleave, pvp, wtv), but if something really original and fleshed out was suggested, i wouldn't mind. Tinker just isn't it.
    Okay but then you don't answer the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Nothing. Because this game doesn't need another class.
    WoD wants it's argument back.

Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    WoD wants it's argument back.
    If you can't find a gameplay pattern that you enjoy in a game with 36 unique specs and classes, that's a you problem and not a game problem. They can barely balance what they have now, it's not like we need to create more reasons for people to whine, bitch and moan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiofea View Post
    It seems just the word alone is enough to start World War III on these forums with all your usual suspects.

How do you know that? What is your evidence? Blizzard has added in three classes since launch and all of them were themed with the expansion they were released in (Death Knights in Wrath of the Lich King, Monks in Mists of Pandaria, and Demon Hunters in Legion) with Blizzard explicitly stating that they wanted to add Demon Hunters during The Burning Crusade, however due to limited technology they could not and thus waited for the next demon-themed expansion to add them.

I feel this may be a discussion held in bad faith due to the choice language used, but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt. As for me, I think no new class for 10.0 is more likely than any class. The whole discussions and arguments about the next class is non-consequential as it will either be no new class or one tied to the expansion.

Again, I believe you are starting this discussion in bad faith as you have clearly shown your own basis and more than likely ignoring lore figures and themes. What is worse is that you are reluctant to outright state your bias or are unaware of it. I can only assume this because you have not stated any supported evidence for Tinkers to be the next class.

The arrogant and condescending language does not help your case...
    This is not bad faith, I'm just very confident.

Why am I confident?

Because Tinker is the only firmly grounded class archetype that has yet to be included. Many characters embody this class, just like do, dh, and monk did.

Necro and DR would fall in this category, however since new classes have to match the theme of the expansion and SL didn't include either, and it being the ultimate death expansion, it's safe to assume 10.0 won't have either.

So that leaves us with only 1 firmly established class left as every other options has next to zero established warcraft lore.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't find a gameplay pattern that you enjoy in a game with 36 unique specs and classes, that's a you problem and not a game problem. They can barely balance what they have now, it's not like we need to create more reasons for people to whine, bitch and moan.
    Balance is an illusion you think 2 extra specs added in legion was the straw that broke the camel's back? There hasn't been balance since vanilla, come on... Plus from a marketing standpoint, this game needs fresh blood. You need new permanent content that will go on after 10.0. A new class is the best option.

I want a tinkerer at this point just so I can see the rage from all the sweaty neckbeards. The class would be nice, but that would be amazing.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Balance is an illusion you think 2 extra specs added in legion was the straw that broke the camel's back?
    Considering there's a non-insignificant number of players who think that Demon Hunters as a class were a complete mistake, yeah. Fuck new classes. Just make the ones we have better. I'd much rather have better designed versions of the existing specs then to harass the devs into adding a new, completely broken class which takes an expansion or two before they get right anyway.

I already know that Tinker is the most probable class for 10.0, so probable that's it's practically a certainty.

Regardless, since many of you disagree, what then is the most realistic class to be added for 10.0.

Try to be neutral about it, no biasis. Using your deduction skills on what lore figures exist, themes that have been exhausted already, what class do you think has the highest chance of becoming a reality outside of your personal preference.

Maybe no class.

Maybe

Necromancer
    Runemaster
    Blademaster
    Warden
    Dragoon
    Chronomancer
    Dark Ranger
    Spellbreaker
    Bard
    Shadow Hunter

Any other shit they could possibly come up with.

How about a Void Knight?

Hell look at the types of magic that are used and how they align with melees and ranged classes.

We have light melee and ranged with priest and paladin
    We have fel powers melee and ranged with demon hunter and warlock
    We have death powers with the death knight, but no ranged, that leaves an opening for the necromancer
    We have shadow wielders with shadow priests as ranged, that would leave an opening for something like a melee void wielder. Something like a Void Knight.
    Then we have life, pretty much only aligned with druids and shamans, pretty much melee and ranged, but not literally wielding life magic, outside of maybe moonkin casting wrath. Maybe a life warden that fights as melee?
    And finally arcane, you only have mages, so no melee, that potentially leaves an opening for something like a Spellbreaker maybe.

Then you also have the elements, those are wielded by mages, warlocks and shamans. Maybe something like an elemental warrior? I guess that kind of is shaman. I guess beyond that they need to come up with something really new and creative.

You could have a watermancer, you could have a fire knight, you could have all sorts of shit.

And yeah a machinist would be a pretty good idea too. I'm sure it's very high up the list.
    Last edited by kizcrew; 2022-02-04 at 05:58 PM.

While Tinker has very little overlap with the existing classes making it a reasonable addition, an expansion where it makes sense isn't likely. Tinker is mundane and doesn't really fit in many potential storylines in the next expansions now that the story reached a cosmic scale. Death Knights, Monks, and Demon Hunters were integral to the story or simply made a lot of sense in the context of their respective expansions.
    We are just making predictions based on the devs' previous comments and patterns. Having said that, if we end up somehow getting a "Mists of Pandaria" style filler expansion, then Tinker might actually be likely.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I want a tinkerer at this point just so I can see the rage from all the sweaty neckbeards. The class would be nice, but that would be amazing.
    I think the problem is that, "if I can't have it, neither can you" mentality.

Everyone expected a new class in SL as per the pattern blizzard set up with new classes.

When we saw that it was death themed, you can be every DR and Necro fan creamed themselves. Then we realize the trailer doesn't confirm either one, you can imagine the butt hurt.

Now wow is really in desperate need for reinvigorating content and it's pretty obvious we're getting a new class. And since Tinker is the last man standing, well there you go.

While I don't think Tinker is necessarily more likely than other options, because they all have problems, I have one argument in their favor, one that I had even before Legion:

If they want class colors to remain unique, there were only two that weren't too close to the existing ones, a darker, more saturated purple than warlock, and a darker yellow than rogue (gold). Lo and behold, they released a new class which used a darker purple. As for gold, out of the suggested classes, neither Necromancer or Dark Ranger would be a good fit. Tinker would, as would Bard, but the latter is probably the least likely class, since they don't really exist in Warcraft.

But I'm more of the opinion that the game should focus on customization, more race-class combinations, class skins and things like that, rather than actual new classes.

Considering there's a non-insignificant number of players who think that Demon Hunters as a class were a complete mistake, yeah. Fuck new classes. Just make the ones we have better. I'd much rather have better designed versions of the existing specs then to harass the devs into adding a new, completely broken class which takes an expansion or two before they get right anyway.
    That isn't gonna attract new players and old players and would instead stagnate the game. Have an open mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whyabadi View Post
    While Tinker has very little overlap with the existing classes making it a reasonable addition, an expansion where it makes sense isn't likely. Tinker is mundane and doesn't really fit in many potential storylines in the next expansions now that the story reached a cosmic scale. Death Knights, Monks, and Demon Hunters were integral to the story or simply made a lot of sense in the context of their respective expansions.
    We are just making predictions based on the devs' previous comments and patterns. Having said that, if we end up somehow getting a "Mists of Pandaria" style filler expansion, then Tinker might actually be likely.
    Easy, wrathiom employs the tinkers Union in undermine to find the dragon isles with the help of mother's titan tech. He then funds their work. There's a reason why the anni pet is a mechanic dragon instead of a simple bronze or infinite drake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    While I don't think Tinker is necessarily more likely than other options, because they all have problems, I have one argument in their favor, one that I had even before Legion:

If they want class colors to remain unique, there were only two that weren't too close to the existing ones, a darker, more saturated purple than warlock, and a darker yellow than rogue (gold). Lo and behold, they released a new class which used a darker purple. As for gold, out of the suggested classes, neither Necromancer or Dark Ranger would be a good fit. Tinker would, as would Bard, but the latter is probably the least likely class, since they don't really exist in Warcraft.

But I'm more of the opinion that the game should focus on customization, more race-class combinations, class skins and things like that, rather than actual new classes.
    Tinker would definitely be like a smokey grey UI color.

Tinker would definitely be like a smokey grey UI color.
    That's the offline color >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    That's the offline color >.<
    Okay then a different shade lol, maybe just black.

Your opinion is Tinker may be the most probable class. I'm not a hater, but it has to fit into the theme of the expansion and honestly just fit game lore. We don't know the theme of the next expansion, if it's some kind of underworld/return to gnomeregon/inner azeroth expansion, I'd be all for Tinker. If it's some other kind of theme then... I really don't want to see Tinker shoe-horned in.

My opinion is we are more likely to get new specs for existing classes than an actual whole class. I know some people are going to say "tHaTs moAR woRk", but it's not. The skills/animations would largely be reused, no need for creating new sets of NPCs in older areas, no need to make them not seem out of place in old content, etc...

Example:
    Rogue - Dark Ranger (already uses existing rogue stealth mechanic, could move over hunter animations for bow/gun, reused abilities, already existing defensives)
    Shaman - Shadowhunter (use shaman totem mechanics, reuse shadowpriest/hunter animations, etc)
    Warrior - Spellbreaker (just prot with more magic reduction focus)
    Hunter - Tinker (rework shaman totem mechanic a bit, essentially the islands version of this)

This way they can add multiple specs into the game, minimal overall effort, and make more than just one part of the community happy than "Tinker" would.

Honestly the biggest issue with Tinker is the same issue Blizz has with Panda's and Monk. You are spending all this time to create classes and races that most people just don't care about. Gnomes and Goblins are 2 of the least played races and most wow players don't care about their lore to even warrant a Tinker for a whole class. As a staple of a whole expansion, it would be bad optics.

Look people meme on Teriz, but I have to agree Tinker just seems like it has the most room thematically to fill what's missing in the current roster of classes. Really the only speed bump is that Engineering exists.

I'll make this argument from the other perspective, and take the most popular new class recommendations and break them down:

Necromancer - This is by far the most easy to see how it fits in the existing game. It's a Warlock with cosmetic reskin. Check my sig.

Dragonsworn - The concept of pledging yourself to a dragonflight and obtaining their power is a neat one, but people don't think about the literal next step. Ok... so what's different then? Base classes already use the magics the dragonflights are charged with. Black Dragonflight elementals and strength - Shamans and Warriors. Green Dragonflight is Moon and Sun, Void and Light... very easy to see those in the existing classes I would hope. Red is life and fire. Blue is arcane and disorder (fel).

So the next point might be, yeah but the dragon ability themes... BREATH and wings and scales and stuff! DH. And Frost DK. If you're looking for a Dragon Knight style class like ESO has, really you're talking about a frost DK thematically and a DH in terms of visuals. We don't need that anymore. If you want a Fire Knight, they can implement a quest for DKs to speak with Bolvar to infuse you and make all your spells have a fire tinge instead of frost. Bam, go frost DK and breath of sindragosa all day.

Bard - Bards are probably my 2nd favorite choice after Tinker, just because they're so different than anything else. But let's be honest, the representation is fairly weak within the world, and it's possible this could be better as a profession. You craft your own instrument, or let others make it for you LW bone flutes, BS brass trumpets, etc. Then you can collect songs like the garrison jutebox like other profession recipes and play them for your group before a pull for a temporary buff. Maybe for flavor even have a tip cup so you can sit in the city and have people tip gold or something. Game mechanics wise, I feel if they cut all of the Shaman and Hunter totem/pet buffs, they did it for a reason and this would be the primary Bard function if it's to look like any typical Bard from other RPGs. So yeah, profession for this one for me.

Spellbreaker - I love this one but to me I just see this being Paladin honestly. And Paladin really ought to be a crusader/knight where you pick your magical force and it skins your spells to what you're a devotee of. IE Zandalari and Tauren Paladins get more Sun/Fire themes. Blood Elf paladins get more blood knight/magic/spellbreaker, and you can even get Nightborne and Night Elf Paladins and just allow them to be Arcane Spellbreakers and Elunite Moonlight Paladins.

Blademaster - This one is more difficult to implement because it's a Monk-Warrior hybrid. If you want to be an agile fighter you can be a monk or rogue or DH, if you want to be more into the big 2h weapons and whirlwinding big hits, you have Warrior, DK, etc. So the themes brought by a Blademaster are already well represented, it's just unfortunately split between several different classes. There's a case to be made for this that this could be a Monk 4th spec, or have a good 2h WW option where you can use a polearm or something. I don't see it as a Warrior spec because it would be clunky to have a spec have leather armor, though a lot of warriors can already achieve this visually through transmog. You hide most of your clothes and whirlwind around with your big polearm. To me the solution here is allowing WW to use 2h viably and loosening up transmog rules so that Warriors can wear a few monk pieces + a few more back-banner toys. Those things would help people more easily achieve a Blademaster character with existing classes. (A brief stealth for WW might be neat too actually - see Samuro in HotS).

Dark Ranger - This one is a personal favorite, I want to play this, badly. But. Let's be real. It's a hunter primarily. If they can give us undead skin options for any race that can be a hunter (which is all I think?) like DKs, let our eyes be red, and maybe a few glyph-like mods to a few abilities like a shadow arrow instead of arcane, we can accomplish the fantasy of a dark ranger with what hunters already offer. Really we just need a better set of customization options for hunters.

Shadow Hunter - I want this badly too, but this one is sort of like Blademaster. It feels like a weird combo between a Warlock and a Shaman, with a bit of rogue-y agility-ness. This can maybe be a new class but the themes are already represented, and split between 3 different classes. This is one of the least popular but in my view actually almost makes the most sense in terms of uniqueness for a future class. A glaive-wielding Shadow-Shaman? Really, really hard to achieve in game with what we have.

Anything I missed?

Tinkers on the other hand. It could be totally built on the idea of gadgets and gizmos. Having little bot pets. You can easily get 3 roles out of it with a Mech/Force Field Bubble tank, a medic healer and dps can go either way with a melee bruiser with big fists or a ranged laser/gun shooter. Could also roll with mail armor and fit that gap. So you're basically slotting it into 2 very underrepresented armor and weapon proficiencies with guns and mail.

Engineering is bar-none the most fun profession, so to see that expanded into a class has so much potential. You could also give them a bonus of like... you get 3 profession slots as a Tinker, 1 of which is a locked in Engineering profession so it highlights that thematically connection. And Tinkers can get bonus Engineering enhancements like super nitro boost (lasts longer), super glider (control direction) and mega decoys (drops like 3-5 or a big boss one). Could be a ton of fun.

Plus you can have gun ammo selections like you choose your ammo powers: cryo (frost) flamethrowers, toxic/poison globs, arcane pellets, etc.

EZ fun class imo.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2022-02-04 at 06:04 PM.