Revenge of the Lich king!

I actually started this idea as a comment to someone else's post. But decided to expand upon it.

Imagine waking up to discover all your exploits were just a dream? What might be? All the other content and expansions were basically What if's ?

You awaken from your long dream, to the sounds of howling wind. Then screams... You look outside and can't believe your eyes. A tidal wave of frost and fog sweeps across the land, from its billowy tendrils pour the armies of undead. The Scourge! The ground trembles and shudders under the weight of the oncoming onslaught. The masses of undead part as the ground cracks open and unholy abominations of terrifying design hoist themselves out to move with frightening speed and fluidity.
    A hum begins then grows into a cacophony as a blue glow coalesces into beam of blue green light that shoots into the night sky. Suddenly! The clouds take shape into the visage of Arthas! He cackles, then bellows out. "Now you will truly feel my wrath!"
    Last edited by Zodiark; 2022-02-08 at 03:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    no matter how much i hate current wow, i hate even more idea of 'dream' or 'it was only a setback' etc
    if something happened then it happened, making them 'didn't happen' because i hate it makes every decision meaningless, since u can always reset them
    I hate me'dan and think he is the worst character ever made in wow, but i still wanted him to be canon, heck removing him made wow canon complete nonsense
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    Bruh... just let it go.

Seriously all these "it was just a dream" is a kindergartner level of bullshit. Move on with the story - don't frikkin' drag out corpses from a decade ago retelling same old story we have already done and closed.

You accept what has transpired and move on to new stories - instead of being stuck in this idiotic loop of not being able to let go and only shitting on past in process.

As much as I love Arthas, this would be a bad idea buahaha sorry.
    Just reminded of a guild meme where we would always joke about everything being a coma dream and waking up in Nyalotha again with Nzoth.
    Or hogger in Elwynn Forest.
    But aye it would just be too much to just write off everything we accomplished since then as a dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    There must always be a Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    I actually started this idea as a comment to someone else's post. But decided to expand upon it.

Imagine waking up to discover all your exploits were just a dream? What might be? All the other content and expansions were basically What if's ?

You awaken from your long dream, to the sounds of howling wind. Then screams... You look outside and can't believe your eyes. A tidal wave of frost and fog sweeps across the land, from its billowy tendrils pour the armies of undead. The Scourge! The ground trembles and shudders under the weight of the oncoming onslaught. The thong of undead part as the ground cracks open and unholy abominations of terrifying design hoist themselves out to move with frightening speed and fluidity.
    A hum begins then grows into a cacophony as a blue glow coalesces into beam of blue green light that shoots into the night sky. Suddenly! The clouds take shape into the visage of Arthas! He cackles, then bellows out. "Now you will truly feel my wrath!"
    Which Lich King? Nerzhul, Arthas, Bolvar... Someone new?

The thong of undead part as the ground cracks open and unholy abominations of terrifying design hoist themselves out to move with frightening speed and fluidity.
    Please tell me more about undead thongs and cracks

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    There must always be a Lich King.
    Wait... with the Lich King currently being gone doesnt that leave the undead of Azeroth unchecked currently while we are all away in the realm of the dead?

There's like 0 chance that OP is older than 12yo.

7+ Year Old Account
    No. Why? Prob Wotlk will came up asap as tbc end. They already gave as a chill of LK in messd up SL story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrexia View Post
    Wait... with the Lich King currently being gone doesnt that leave the undead of Azeroth unchecked currently while we are all away in the realm of the dead?
    Yeah, the Scourge is now under the control of the Mawsworn and the Jailer and is currently attacking all across Azeroth. There's a questline in Bastion that involves souls of the dead winding up in Shadowlands as a result of these attacks.

Remember that lorewise, only like half a dozen heroes and the Ebon Blade are in the Shadowlands - the player, Thrall & Jaina & Baine, Bolvar and a couple others and the Ebon Blade death knights. It's why we're mainly relying on Covenant forces. The majority of the Horde and the Alliance forces are back on Azeroth dealing with the Scourge.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Yeah, the Scourge is now under the control of the Mawsworn and the Jailer and is currently attacking all across Azeroth. There's a questline in Bastion that involves souls of the dead winding up in Shadowlands as a result of these attacks.

Remember that lorewise, only like half a dozen heroes and the Ebon Blade are in the Shadowlands - the player, Thrall & Jaina & Baine, Bolvar and a couple others and the Ebon Blade death knights. It's why we're mainly relying on Covenant forces. The majority of the Horde and the Alliance forces are back on Azeroth dealing with the Scourge.
    Ahhh I never got that far in game before quitting, Thanks I am now aware

The only way the "it was just a dream" plot would work would be a Nzoth returning. And even that's a stretch and I'm sure Blizzard dont have enough balls to do that.

WotLK's core story feels like a rip off of Darth Vader's story. I don't get all these feelings of nostalgia for the 'good old days of Lore in WoW', because the last time I feel that they made a good core-game story was when Illidan had a love triangle in Warcraft 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does the Lich King even have to avenge?
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

You awaken from your long dream, to the sounds of howling wind. Then screams... You look outside and can't believe your eyes. A tidal wave of frost and fog sweeps across the land, from its billowy tendrils pour the armies of undead. The Scourge! The ground trembles and shudders under the weight of the oncoming onslaught. The thong of undead part as the ground cracks open and unholy abominations of terrifying design hoist themselves out to move with frightening speed and fluidity.
    and now on mobile platform, come download our app and finger punch Arthas in the face! send out waves of soldiers as a commander of the lordaeron army to fight battles in the frozen tundra, upgrade ur units for the low cost of 50 diamonds or $29.99 and get epic rewards for your WoW character in game!

yep i can see it

10+ Year Old Account
    Undoing all of our exploits as "It was all just a dream!!!" would feel incredibly bad. It's a similar thing with what they're doing to Sylvanas where "She wasn't actually bad she was just corrupted!!!" Being corrupted is fine, having certain sequences be a dream is fine, but handwaving years of content with those simple answers just doesn't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcreid View Post
    There's like 0 chance that OP is older than 12yo.
    Ok Mr Banned. I'm actually in my mid 40's and have played this game since it's inception. Began MMORPGs in 99', having played around 10 years of single player RPG's and pen and paper ones. Games like WoW were to fill a niche that was left when our table top group fell apart after 4 years.

Anyhow. I got the idea after watching some fan made versions of the WoTLK trailer. I had the idea that the game as a whole since pretty much after vanilla all seemed a bit like a dream. The stories were all sort of loosely written and details constantly change. What we think we knew turned out to be something else. Much like a dream.

Nowadays with the current version of WoW I pretty much only stay somewhat active just to play through old content and get ideas for random stories, trying to imagine the different characters, where they live, what they do, etc.

Just because I like to keep exercising my imagination doesn't make me 12' tyvm. However, in a way, that's a compliment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Undoing all of our exploits as "It was all just a dream!!!" would feel incredibly bad. It's a similar thing with what they're doing to Sylvanas where "She wasn't actually bad she was just corrupted!!!" Being corrupted is fine, having certain sequences be a dream is fine, but handwaving years of content with those simple answers just doesn't really work.
    Honestly, I feel like our exploits were more or less meaningless to begin with. Hence another reason I said maybe it was all just a dream.

You know how sometimes when you dream it feels like an eternity? Like the dream will never end?

We are supposed to be the heroes the "Champions", of Azeroth. However most times it doesn't feel that way. I played FFXIV for the story alongside wow. In that game at least you are made to FEEL like the Hero. Though it does take a bit of suspending belief since there are millions of other "Heros". Still your character is made to feel important by the major NPC's. In WoW it's almost like Blizzard make you feel like they are doing YOU a favor. If you go by DEEDS alone, a max level player who has legit played through each expansion has dwarfed the accomplishments of ANY of the major NPC's. Yet they still talk to you like a henchman, or lacky.

So I would rather all I did be a dream and Blizz take a better direction storytelling, one where my character's actions have weight and meaning, than to continue to kill big bad loot-pinata's, adding another notch on the belt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Legitimate-WOW-GM View Post
    Which Lich King? Nerzhul, Arthas, Bolvar... Someone new?
    Well I did say Arthas. He was the first modern Lich King. But hell someone new could work too I suppose if it was PRE, Arthas. Maybe an alternate Timeline.