View Poll Results: Based off quality, how much SHOULD a WoW sub cost now?

Voters
425. This poll is closed
  • $15 a month

77 18.12%
  • $99.99 a month

33 7.76%
  • $12.99 a month

26 6.12%
  • $10.99 a month

38 8.94%
  • $5.99 a month

108 25.41%
  • $Pay 2 Win

5 1.18%
  • $Its Already Pay 2 Win

35 8.24%
  • Absolutely Free

103 24.24%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Consider the price stay the same over the years i would say WOW is in a good place price wise

7+ Year Old Account
    either the game should not have subscription anymore, or have it, but don't sell expansions

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    There are many f2p games with lovely communities and none to very little botting. WoW, meanwhile, has massive problems with both.
    There are also many f2p games with absolutely terrible communities, look at League or Dota for example. It's not a big assumption to make that some people will not want to pay a sub, and therefore some of those, who bring toxic attitudes into the community, don't make it in.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    Its one of the few things that hasn't risen in cost. Unchanged since 2004.

Lets say you play 2 hours a day. That's 60 hours a month.

That's 25 cents an hour of entertainment.

That's a goddamn steal.

If you're not enjoying it, don't play.
    HAhahaha…

Honestly, that’s pretty pathetic. I mean, sure there are a lot of expensive hobbies out there, but what you described isn’t “a steal”. I have at least a dozen games on steam with a lower cost/hour already and every time I play them it gets better because I don’t have to keep pumping money into them. Most of the board games my friends and I have played have better cost/entertainment time ratios than that when you take into account that it’s entertainment for multiple people at once. Hell, when I was a kid my basketball was a better entertainment investment than WoW.

Everyone always wants to compare WoW to overpriced movie tickets. Apparently you all forgot that there are more ways to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    There are also many f2p games with absolutely terrible communities, look at League or Dota for example.
    Yes, I never claimed that f2p games all have great communities. YOU were the one that claimed that f2p leads to toxic behavior and I counter that this is just not accurate at all.

It's not a big assumption to make that some people will not want to pay a sub, and therefore some of those, who bring toxic attitudes into the community, don't make it in.
    That's what we call "shifting goalposts". Your claim was that subs prevent toxic behavior, not that it would discourage "some" toxic people. It will also discourage non-toxic people. That's my point, a subscription fee has no connection whatsoever to the behavior of a player base. That's all down to game design and the policing of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    One of my biggest worries, honestly. We won't see a better future if it went Free-2-Play, we would be stuck, or get worse.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean, B2P? (Buy-To-Play, like Guild Wars 2)

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, quite cheaper than it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

With one single button press, there wouldn't be a subscription between patches, that is a freedom we all have. If we do not believe the game warrants 15 dollars a month, then we can stop playing. For me, 15 dollars is nothing, I can't find a single hobby cheaper - and this comes from someone also playing another subscription MMORPG, and still can't find a cheaper monthly hobby.
    There are plenty of hobbies that are free, and better for your health; running, swimming, hiking, working out, etc... There are also A LOT of f2p games that are more fun than current WoW. Epic Games has free games on there all the time for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    either the game should not have subscription anymore, or have it, but don't sell expansions
    I would be okay with having to buy major content patches instead as well, at least it would incentivize them to release good content more often or they don't get paid. 20$ for a patch or something.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    As a matter of fact, I'm not.

But, even better, people who *think* they are playing for free are actually fueling the $20/mo subscriptions paid for by whales and wannabe whales.
    Free to them is all they care about. I went years without paying for a single thing in the game and paying for the subs of most of my raid with gold. Yes Blizzard made out by us going that route, but for me it was free and for the people I gave tokens to completely free to them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Free to them is all they care about. I went years without paying for a single thing in the game and paying for the subs of most of my raid with gold. Yes Blizzard made out by us going that route, but for me it was free and for the people I gave tokens to completely free to them.
    Its only free if your time is worthless. Which, btw, no matter how you spin it, isn't. You have limited amount of it.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Its only free if your time is worthless. Which, btw, no matter how you spin it, isn't. You have limited amount of it.
    Yeah that’s not true. If it costs you zero dollars then it’s free. Trying to apply your hourly wage to your leisure time just means you don’t understand the concept of leisure time.

It should be merged with MS PC Game Pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. People saying should cost a monthly price are insane or bots from Blizzard.
    2. That an option is P2W is already disgusting, no game should be P2W and wow isnt P2W either.
    3. Game is as good as you feel like it is. The game is still biggest on the MMORPG market for a reason.
    4. Game is no longer worth the full 15 euros a month in my opinion, should be free and buy to play (Game one time payment)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    There are also many f2p games with absolutely terrible communities
    Which in turn means that the existence of a sub (or lack thereof) has absolutely no influence on whether a community is more or less toxic. It eventually boils down to game design and whether the company is willing to acknowledge AND to address such issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah that’s not true. If it costs you zero dollars then it’s free. Trying to apply your hourly wage to your leisure time just means you don’t understand the concept of leisure time.
    It is true, I didn't say anything about hourly wage. So in case you didn't notice, you ain't gonna live forever, your time, even leisure is NOT free.
    You could be doing something more enjoyable than selling boosts and/or farming shit.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Lets be honest, WoW xpacs lately haven't really been a huge success.

When the product of a company loses its quality, why should it cost the same?
    Quality is subjective.

If Blizzard can make more profit with having a higher sub cost, then there is no reason for them to make it lower.

That being said, WoW is probably gonna become more affordable once MS purchases Blizzard. It'll probably just be a part of Game Pass

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    It is true, I didn't say anything about hourly wage. So in case you didn't notice, you ain't gonna live forever, your time, even leisure is NOT free.
    You could be doing something more enjoyable than selling boosts and/or farming shit.
    Ah, thought you were going with a different argument that gets thrown around here every now and then. My bad.

What you said about the game only being “free” if your time is worthless is still not correct, though. While I might be a bit concerned for someone who spent 100% of their free time playing WoW and half of that was dedicated to do something they really hated just to farm gold, that’s certainly not a reality for most people who use gold for their sub. I wouldn’t say that someone who only spends a fraction of their free time on WoW and only a fraction of that farming doesn’t value their time. Personally I’d been subbing this whole time essentially off the spoils of WoD and while it has depleted over time I made enough gold through my typical play style for it to last this long. No need to dedicate long hours of my free time to doing things I hate just for gold.

Definitely $100, good call.
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Ah, thought you were going with a different argument that gets thrown around here every now and then. My bad.

What you said about the game only being “free” if your time is worthless is still not correct, though. While I might be a bit concerned for someone who spent 100% of their free time playing WoW and half of that was dedicated to do something they really hated just to farm gold, that’s certainly not a reality for most people who use gold for their sub. I wouldn’t say that someone who only spends a fraction of their free time on WoW and only a fraction of that farming doesn’t value their time. Personally I’d been subbing this whole time essentially off the spoils of WoD and while it has depleted over time I made enough gold through my typical play style for it to last this long. No need to dedicate long hours of my free time to doing things I hate just for gold.
    I made millions of gold in WoD and legion by just relogging to alts, it was minimal effort (~10 mins a day) but I wouldn't ever say it was free. It still cost my precious time that i could be doing something more enjoyable. So no matter how you spin it, and unless its during your natural not forced sleep, doing something that costs you time is not free.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Make it free -- what are you even paying for? Lackluster plot points every six months? Automatic report system? Donations for the molestation of women? Make it free.

1 $ in 2004 equals 1.5 $ today

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qstall View Post
    1 $ in 2004 equals 1.5 $ today
    Then I'm glad that Blizz has not increased the price accordingly, since almost no one's salary has increased by 50% during the same period.