Thread: The Witcher "4"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another game that won't run on my garbage PC because I'm poor. Not interested, lol. Good for the fans of the series though, I guess.

As one of the few that thought W3 was the worst in the trilogy, I am not expecting much here. CP2077 did the rest.

As much as I'd like to be excited, I'm not convinced that the same magic will be captured twice. The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games to date and although it isn't perfect, the sheer depth of its narrative and characters is incredible. Many of the employees responsible for it have since departed the company and Cyberpunk 2077 proved that the company can no longer be given the same amount of trust.

It's also very likely to revolve around Ciri...who I don't really want to play as. She isn't as interesting to me as Geralt and if Geralt's journey is 'over' then I think it makes sense to retire Ciri as well.

Not sure if it was already pointed out or not, but shortly after the announcement CDPR said this will NOT be a Witcher 4 game, but rather, a completely new game in the universe. No details about gameplay or story - so it can be anything, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    Not sure if it was already pointed out or not, but shortly after the announcement CDPR said this will NOT be a Witcher 4 game, but rather, a completely new game in the universe. No details about gameplay or story - so it can be anything, really.
    Watch it turn out to be a 'Battle Royale' type game or some such with a Witcher flavour.

Not sure if I'd prefer a SP game or a Co-op game.

Co-op would be kinda cool as well... and it would fit as well with all the different kind of witchers.
    After seeing the netflix series, it kinda made me want to play the games in a small group of 1-4 players.

Maybe even as a playable mage character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    I'd rather it be a custom created character and Ciri would be your "leader". Ciri was OP already in W3, I don't want an anime-powered main character.
    same.

I like Ciri but she is broken.

besides, there are endings where Ciri can die or something so you would get another Dragon Age situation where characters you killed pop up to be one of the mains in the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    same.

I like Ciri but she is broken.

besides, there are endings where Ciri can die or something so you would get another Dragon Age situation where characters you killed pop up to be one of the mains in the next.
    I think that ship has already sailed. I mean, we already have an option of importing saves from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2, and from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3. Witcher 3 also has that whole emulating what happened in the previous game thing, if you don't import a save.

If this is indeed a continuation from Witcher 3, I'd imagine it's going to be more of the same, so it's not really a problem. It's also in the DLC already, where it's possible to see Ciri if she's alive, and not if shes dead. But we'll see what kind of game this is going to be.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-03-22 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I think that ship has already sailed. I mean, we already have an option of importing saves from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2, and from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3. Witcher 3 also has that whole emulating what happened in the previous game thing, if you don't import a save.

If this is indeed a continuation from Witcher 3, I'd imagine it's going to be more of the same, so it's not really a problem. It's also in the DLC already, where it's possible to see Ciri if she's alive, and not if shes dead. But we'll see what kind of game this is going to be.
    I really wish they don't do things like this because it can be inconsistent asf.
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Watch it turn out to be a 'Battle Royale' type game or some such with a Witcher flavour.
    If it isn't a openworld action rpg with a cinematic story, i'd be surprised. But that still leaves a lot of room to be vastly different from witcher 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post

Not much info released on it beyond that it's in development, being made in Unreal engine 5 and the start of a new partnership with Epic. Which probably means their own engine is being retired after cyberpunk dlc/expacks are done.

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/42167/a-new-saga-begins

Question is will people be hyped for it after the cyberpunk mess.
    CANT FUCKING WAIT!
    I hope it's not about Ciri.
    Brand new would be great

Though I said that Ciri as main MC is one of the obvious choices, I have to admit I too have thought the same as few other posters that she is, well, too OP. They could spin something about loosing powers, but that is cliche as hell. Plus - she is not a full Witcher, no potions, no signs (though different magic, of course, and she should be able to learn them), no mutations for that supersoldier feel.

https://kotaku.com/witcher-4-cyberpu...rpg-1848688469

Welp, game director is promising "no crunch"...but I don't think anyone actually believes they'll accomplish this given their history. Would sure be nice, though, crunch sucks and absolutely isn't required to make a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://kotaku.com/witcher-4-cyberpu...rpg-1848688469

Welp, game director is promising "no crunch"...but I don't think anyone actually believes they'll accomplish this given their history. Would sure be nice, though, crunch sucks and absolutely isn't required to make a good game.
    No forced or encouraged crunch would be a start. In fact discourage it. Harder to stop the crazy work ethic people that want to willingly do it, which is a problem Rockstar and Naughty Dog have for example and then leads to others feeling they have to work the same hours.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about crunch and if you don't like it then quit. But i still dont expect this game till at least 2026

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Another game that won't run on my garbage PC because I'm poor. Not interested, lol. Good for the fans of the series though, I guess.
    I think people have gross misconception about what graphic engine is.

UE5 is optimized better than probably most proprietary graphic engines out there. And the question "will it run on my pc?" is mostly dependent on:
    the amount of 3d objects
    their details
    texture resolution
    amount of dynamic objects
    animation scripts
    shader code

etc.

Which is a problem of EVERY graphic engine. Yes, engine can alleviate some of those problem with advanced mechanisms of object simplifications such as LOD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_...uter_graphics)
    Tesselation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessel...uter_graphics)

as well as object removal from viewport like dynamic culling
    and dynamic resolution (upscaling)

and UE5 has it all.

Reason why moving to UE5 is good idea is because otherwise you have to write all those algorithms yourself, write all the tools for graphic engine, update it as time goes on, work on incompatibility issues and while you may not have to pay fee for using UE/Unity, it all goes back in form of more work and thus more money.

For the price of UE5/Unity there is simply no point in reinventing wheel. You are not going to make better engine unless you put milliards of dollars into it. Especially now with UE5 Lumen and Nanite
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

as a few others have echoed, if the combat is improved then im interested.

I still havent really finished the witcher 3 outside of the main story as much as I love the story/world/characters/music.

Its just a slog with the awkwardness of looting and rather one dimensional combat that cant even make dodge roll spamming fluid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I don't care about crunch and if you don't like it then quit.
    What an awful take.

"I don't care about blatant exploitation, I just want my entertainment".
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post

Not much info released on it beyond that it's in development, being made in Unreal engine 5 and the start of a new partnership with Epic. Which probably means their own engine is being retired after cyberpunk dlc/expacks are done.

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/42167/a-new-saga-begins

Question is will people be hyped for it after the cyberpunk mess.
    That's not a wolf medallion, looks like we're going woke, folks.