Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'd completely forgotten about him, really. It's interesting that he's titled a "prince," but given that he's not spoken of outside of The First Guardian it's likely he died at some point before the First War, or during it. Nallorath was also referred to as the son of the king, and since Anasterian only had a single son (Kael'thas) it would have to be assumed that Nallorath was the son of a ruler prior to Anasterian, of which we know there were two following Dath'remar and before Anasterian.
    I always thought he was Anasterian's younger brother, he could be eldin's father

Golden book lol.

people really are excited to see Sylvanas' life before her death...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    Golden book lol.

WoW fans can never get too much Sylvanas - (signed) Danuser.

Although given the author, I can see half the book being references, both direct and indirect, to Our Treasure

10+ Year Old Account
    Golden book lol.

The books are actually more coherent than the game to be fair. While not masterpieces they do at least tell a story something the games struggle to do. Also I dont get the hate on Golden, she has probably written some of the better books. Rise of the Horde is still my favourite.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    WoW fans can never get too much Sylvanas - (signed) Danuser.

Although given the author, I can see half the book being references, both direct and indirect, to Our Treasure
    can't wait for some nice inconsistencies and retcons.

won't read it, obviously, but this forum will have a meltdown.

kinda funny how they delayed this book because they wanted it to be "the best it can be" lol.
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The books are actually more coherent than the game to be fair. While not masterpieces they do at least tell a story something the games struggle to do. Also I dont get the hate on Golden, she has probably written some of the better books. Rise of the Horde is still my favourite.
    Her old books were at least decent, especially Rise of the Horde, much better than anything written by that hack Knaak. But everything she has penned since War Crimes has become preachy, way too preachy.

Kinda funny how they delayed this book because they wanted it to be "the best it can be" lol.
    "The best it can be" it has to be about Sylv. Obviously
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2022-03-05 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    So what form of measurement in the Warcraft universe did they use then to know it was a few weeks away? A writer should know what they're working with.

We're talking about things in a fictional, high fantasy universe. Ancient Egyptians used sundials and waterclocks. I don't know which one was used more, I'd assume it was a sundial, but they had day-time and night-time because they measured shadows. Ancient Egypt is the worst example you could've used because their measurements are closer to what I described, which is exactly why I described it like that. The movement of the Sun and the Moon is what ancient people usually based their time measurements on, hence my "the child is fifty Moons away" and "the child is twenty sunrises away" examples.

Saying "it's supposed to come in a few weeks" is the most lazy form of writing one could use. I'm not expecting everything in Warcraft to be described in detail or to be super-fantastical in its description, but I'm at least expecting the characters not to speak like two pals stopped to chat in a 24/7. There were a lot of ways to be more creative about this and that's what I'm speaking about.
    isnt like that "week" is just a word for "quarter of lunar cycle"...
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

10+ Year Old Account
    Her old books were at least decent, especially Rise of the Horde, much better than anything written by that hack Knaak. But everything she has penned since War Crimes has become preachy, way too preachy.
    Don't get me started on Knaak lol. Oh my his writing style was atrocious. But he did have a good way of writing dragons. Hated the way he wrote dwarves, elves and orcs though. And his way of describing eyes as orbs constantly annoyed me lol.

I think Goldens last great book was Jaina: Tides of War. That book hit on so many levels, but yea, War crimes wasnt that great in fatc its still her weakest and I have already forgotten Before the Storm.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-03-05 at 02:09 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

the Golden One will be her new baby brother

speaking of which, the age gap between the siblings is big.

Alleria is already accomplished ranger and Sylvanas is following in her footsteps by the time their brother is born.

I guess their parents waited for decades or centuries to make another child

I'd completely forgotten about him, really. It's interesting that he's titled a "prince," but given that he's not spoken of outside of The First Guardian it's likely he died at some point before the First War, or during it. Nallorath was also referred to as the son of the king, and since Anasterian only had a single son (Kael'thas) it would have to be assumed that Nallorath was the son of a ruler prior to Anasterian, of which we know there were two following Dath'remar and before Anasterian.
    The established timeline suggests Nallorath held the title of prince during the time Anasterian was reigning as king (Anasterian ruled Quel'Thalas for at least 2,800 years, and Nallorath held the title of prince 2,600 years before the First War), and refers to his "father's court" at one point, implying he was the king's son rather than brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    The established timeline suggests Nallorath held the title of prince during the time Anasterian was reigning as king (Anasterian ruled Quel'Thalas for at least 2,800 years, and Nallorath held the title of prince 2,600 years before the First War), and refers to his "father's court" at one point, implying he was the king's son rather than brother.
    Except, as noted above, Anasterian only had one son: Kael'thas (Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 147 and Blood of the Highborne). So Nallorath couldn't be the son of Anasterian.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Except, as noted above, Anasterian only had one son: Kael'thas (Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 147 and Blood of the Highborne). So Nallorath couldn't be the son of Anasterian.
    I think he is the younger brother

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    I think he is the younger brother
    But if it's stated that Anasterian only had 1 son, then Nallorath must be some relative of the Sunstrider name who did have a claim to the throne. Unlike Lyandra's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    But if it's stated that Anasterian only had 1 son, then Nallorath must be some relative of the Sunstrider name who did have a claim to the throne. Unlike Lyandra's side.
    brother of anasterian

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    "... the priest said the child is fifty moons away..." sounds a lot better in high fantasy than "It is due in a few weeks", doesn't it? "The priest said we'll be blessed with a child in twenty sunrises".

It's like Christie Golden got the idea from a friend of hers that had an appointment.
    I mean pretty much everyone in Warcraft speaks like modern middle class Americans. But yes, Golden’s prose is just hideous. It is funny though, I went back and read Lord of the Clans and her prose there is really decent. Now she writes like a 14 year old who is inspired to enter a library writing competition after reading a YA series.

Plot hole or retcon

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Plot hole or retcon
    Possibly, although it remains possible that Nallorath could've been the son of the Sunstrider ruler who preceded Anasterian as the king, making him Ansterian's brother - or it was just an outright retcon. Since Warcraft: Legends Volume 5 was released in 2009, and the UVG was released in 2016, the order of canonicity would put Nallorath in the retcon dustbin if that's the case.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Praise be the Golden Child

https://www.wowhead.com/news/exclusi...s-novel-326419

7+ Year Old Account
    Man, this is so bad, is like a alternate universe marvel, where the characters in the book are not the same as the characters we saw for the past years.

- You have the prince of stormwind lecturing someone how life was mean to him, basically a piss-poor contest to see who had the hardest life.

- Literally Sylvanas using Anduin for her therapy sessions, rly, she goes there, talk about the past, discuss with him, leave, and next time will come back and tell another story of her past, straight up therapy

- Always trying to convince herself of the shit she done, trying to make some conflict, yet doesn't stop her being dumb enough to follow evil bad bald guy.

- I can't help to cringe every time Sylvanus say 'little Lion", jesus, why they keep going for it.

- Sylvanas wanting Anduin sympathy

- I did what I did for a reason. For the greatest reason of all.; come on, shot my foot too, what a fucking overused troop.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-03-23 at 12:41 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    My bad, how could I forget the biggest Mary Sue in the current lore, the one who supersedes even Sylv /puke
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.