10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    My guess is that he had a shock and awe campaign of trying to startle Ukraine into some form of easy surrender of some territory Putin desired, likely with the added goals of scaring them into some form of disarmament (for easier future Russian territory acquisitions) and likely a complete swearing off of joining NATO. (Again, to ensure they remained largely defenseless.) I'm going to assume that their "Ukraine doesn't immediately fold" contingency plan was basically to just ram all their forces in towards Kyiv, and they thought such a thing would be adequate to force the matter: That zelensky would flee or capitulate and the Ukrainians would dissolve in terror, and that such a thing would take a few weeks at most.

I think their failure is twofold: 1) Ukraine putting up a hell of a better fight than they expected, due both to Ukrainian resolve and the utter state of disarray that's become apparent in the Russian military machine that's put Ukraine on a much more even foot with Russia and 2) The rest of the world not just idly sitting by in apathy. If we still had a Russian sympathizing moron like Trump in the white house, these past few months might have gone very differently on an international level. Perhaps Putin thought that he had adequately pro-russianized the US with four years of Trump. Perhaps he thought that he could threaten the EU with energy dependence. Either way, yet another grievous miscalculation on Russia's part, and one that's basically doomed Russia the longer they stay in conflict.

As you point out, however, these things are all predicated upon Russia, the government that lies through its teeth every chance it gets, believing things that simply weren't the case. And the con man is always in the most trouble when he starts believing his own con.
    Back near the beginning of the invasion, I said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Zelensky staying is the worst scenario for them, because it's causing the resistance to be even tougher...

I don't know if Ukraine gets as much aid as it's getting if it doesn't have a visible Zelensky to rally international news around.
    ...because it's important to note just how much of an effect Zelensky has had in garnering that aid and preventing international apathy. So I'd add that to your list of failures.

The other important thing is that Russia has basically spent the last 8 years hardening their target. Things would have been better for Russia if they'd kept moving in after taking Crimea in 2014, or even if they'd just rolled in right after Trump was sworn into office in 2017. But now, Ukrainian troops have spent those 8 years being trained by the best militaries in the world, and have been primed specifically to fight Russian troops, essentially.

And then, of course, there's Xi Jinping's trolling, asking Putin to wait until after the Olympics... when the snow started to melt and the land turned to mud. That was a huge blunder.

Wow, so many failures to choose from.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Saw someone raise an interesting point - Ukraine is only meant to have 18 TB2 drones so how did Russia shoot down 35 of them?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Another zero-budget music video by an unquestionably patriotic Russian, and one of the best Russian songwriters of last 25 years (and lyricists, if you can handle breadth of his vocabulary). In most serious way, without any hidden agenda I'm asking fellow Russian speakers - how do you interpret the text of this song?

For non-speakers, the gist is "an epoch has ended... [we didn't realize then] how good our bad life was". The female singer is a real superstar, you can just listen to her without even understanding a word, I highly recommend. I hope she gets a proper career after the war ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Vladimort and the war that shall not be named.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    So this was the last reply you left for me. Do you still believe this and how do you feel that a 7th General has now died? And as I brought up last time, only 1 general has died on the US side since 9/11. In closing I will leave you with this beautiful picture, please send it to your boss for me.
    I asked him about Generals when he returned from vacation. He had switched from "no generals dead" to paraphrasing; "well, we got 2200 generals so who gives a fuck how many dozen die in Ukraine".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Saw someone raise an interesting point - Ukraine is only meant to have 18 TB2 drones so how did Russia shoot down 35 of them?
    Turkey had always said that "those drones are just private company selling their product"; and there are a lot of people (and countries) willing to pay them to deliver more while conflict is ongoing.

Cargo planes flying from Turkey to airports near Ukrainian border - while avoiding Hungary that denies use of their territory to help Ukraine - are quite clear sign of those deliveries happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Given that war is still ongoing it still can happen, one way or another.
    I thought it was only supposed to take a few days at most? Why is the war still happening a month later? Is Russia military failing all part of the plan? How much did your pay go down when the ruble fell?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Given that war is still ongoing it still can happen, one way or another.

Not that it ever was explicitly set as a non-negotiable goal, so it can stay ambiguous on wherever they actually want(ed) it.
    Damn son, you've used that three letter word again. Be more cautious!

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I thought it was only supposed to take a few days at most?
    That was also timeframe in which some people expected Russian economy to fold, bank runs and all.

Why is the war still happening a month later? Is Russia military failing all part of the plan?
    Is Mariupol falling part of Ukrainian plan?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Damn son, you've used that three letter word again. Be more cautious!
    He's taking so many risks here on 15 years jail for "spreading fake news about the special operation".

Bravery or foolishness? One can only guess.

This doesn't even make sense as a retort.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    He's taking so many risks here on 15 years jail for "spreading fake news about the special operation".

Bravery or foolishness? One can only guess.
    He's clearly on Kremlin's payroll disseminating state propaganda to westerners. I'm sure he's given special leave to use the no-no words.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by payedKremlinTroll View Post
    This comment doesn't even make sense lol
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    This doesn't even make sense as a retort.
    What do you think is Ukrainian plan? Lose cities, soldiers, and military equipment until Russia gets frustrated enough to leave while pumping out war propaganda?

Western actions with "no off-ramps" don't give Russia incentives to do so.

Ukraine reportedly only holds out on recognizing Crimea and Donbass legal status, they already reached agreement on every other demand.

Once Donbass gets "liberated" for republics, do you think they'll wait for fall of Kiev?

What do you think is Ukrainian plan? Lose cities, soldiers, and military equipment until Russia gets frustrated enough to leave while pumping out war propaganda?

Ukraine reportedly only holds out on recognizing Crimea and Donbass legal status, they already reached agreement on every other demand.

Once Donbass gets "liberated" for republics, do you think they'll wait for fall of Kiev?
    Funny, because all evidence shows that Ukraine is kicking Russia's ass.

Did anyone have "It's all the West's fault" on their bingo cards?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    Thank you, I pissed in my pants laughing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Did anyone have "It's all the West's fault" on their bingo cards?
    Yep but there are so many crosses on it already it's unreadable.

Once your remaining terrorist force falls back and "liberates" Donbass area, there's very little reason not to level the entire place by shelling and bombing. You've already killed and made the civilians flee at that point.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    That was also timeframe in which some people expected Russian economy to fold, bank runs and all.
    Only foolish people could think Russia will fold in days, or a single month.

Have you listened to the Leningrad song I linked above? It's only 3 minutes long. I'm interested in your opinion - he seems to lament something, but it's open for interpretation what exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

While he admittedly invited the comparison, Putin is nothing like Voldemort.

Voldemort actually told the truth when he offered safety to Hogwarts if Harry turned himself over.