Thread: The Oscars

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Please keep politics out of this. Appreciated.
    This isn't about the oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Will didn't hear a joke, he heard an insult.
    What I'm finding interesting, at least on Twitter, has been the intersection between those who feel that Rock was out of line and those who felt Chappelle did no wrong. I'm boggled at how one can hold both thoughts simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    By the way, why are people consoling him? I would be like, dude, get a grip that was fucking crazy. Guess celebrities get special treatment even when they behave like total assholes.
    The audience giving him a standing ovation was the most bullshit thing I've seen in a while.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2022-03-28 at 04:14 PM.

The audience giving him a standing ovation was the most bullshit thing I've seen in a while.
    elite entitlement.

I'm all for giving a cunt a slap. Ive seen it in the pub enough. Some mouthy cunt puts it about and then one day its to the wrong person and they lose their front teeth. So what?

But if you go to a comedy night and the comedian starts ripping on you in the front row, you know what you are in for and getting all uppity about it is bullshit.

The Oscars is the latter, they have a host who gives it out to all the celebs and you can't be a princess about it like Will was. The guys 50 years old and worth 9 figures and he has can't eat it for 10 minutes. Fuck off.

Oh my ... a celebrity slapped another celebrity .. big fucking deal, happens every day for "regular" people. It may have also been staged, but no ... big fuss quick .. call the cops.

If Smith were to beat the crap out of him, then that may have been worthy to talk about but it's just a slap lol.
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-03-28 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    elite entitlement.

I'm all for giving a cunt a slap. Ive seen it in the pub enough. Some mouthy cunt puts it about and then one day its to the wrong person and they lose their front teeth. So what?

But if you go to a comedy night and the comedian starts ripping on you in the front row, you know what you are in for and getting all uppity about it is bullshit.

The Oscars is the latter, they have a host who gives it out to all the celebs and you can't be a princess about it like Will was. The guys 50 years old and worth 9 figures and he has can't eat it for 10 minutes. Fuck off.
    Yeah. No doubt a lot of us have sympathy with the idea of having to stand up for your partner when someone is talking shit to them. I mean if you're in a pub and someone's taking the piss out your missus you're pretty much obligated to do something about it. But at an awards ceremony presented by a comedian? Ricky Gervais ripped the absolute shit out the audience when he presented awards ceremonies, ten times worse than what Chris Rock said. I bet the audience fucking hated it but they knew the score and put on a fake smile and rolled with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Oh my ... a celebrity slapped another celebrity .. big fucking deal, happens every day for "regular" people. It may have also been staged, but no ... big fuss quick .. call the cops.

If Smith were to beat the crap out of him, then that may have been worthy to talk about but it's just a slap lol.
    It's a bit different when people who are supposed to behave at least reasonably publicly assault someone on live television for the world to see.
    But feel free to stop talking about it or consuming any content that has anything to do with it. Literally nobody is forcing you to do anything here.

This thread is about the Oscars and what happened in it. I know some people have Trump on the brain but try to reign that in where it's not appropriate. Cheers.
    This is an American thing.
    A drunk fool with his buddies gets punched in the nose by husband whose wife drunk fool forcibly expressed an interestin. Two plainclothes state cops were there and witnessed all of it and related it to the privare security that came up. I was part of that. Supervisor told drunk fool and his buddies "Gtfo. This didn't happen. Drunk buddies: "No problem, we're gone."

Can't fathom being such an emotionally crippled manchild that a tame joke like that makes you see red enough to assault a guy, especially over a woman who fucked your son's friend behind your back. And it wasn't even a proper punch either, but a limp-wristed little slap. Kudos to him for giving Chris Rock and other comedians material for a while though I guess.

I don't follow American Pop culture a lot and if you see the slap out of content you cannot justify it, but i don't know whether Will SMith's wife has cancer or some illness that resulted into losing her hair, if that is the case then still you cannot justify the slap but you can certainly sympathize with him.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UndedoKoleda View Post
    I get why Will Smith did what he did. It wasn't the right thing to do by any stretch, but I get why he did it.

You can see that at first he was laughing at the joke, but then he looked at his wife and seemingly went from 0 to 100.

Imo, it actually takes a very strong power of will(hehe) to stand up for someone that have hurt you in the past the way she hurt him with the whole fiasco that generated countless memes.

She is still the mother of his children, she has a sickness, there is possibility that he still has some feelings(even love) for her, he saw her being attacked(I know, I know...) and embarrassed in front of everyone present(+ on live TV and the internet). Despite that he probably had a good idea of what the consequences would be(and I'm not talking only about the internet being flooded with a new wave of Will Smith is a cuck memes, but there also could/can be legal actions against him, not to mention his image and legacy and even possibly his future job(s) being on the line), he knew that he couldn't just sit there, he had to do something, anything.

Imo, even though he shouldn't have done exactly what he did, it shows that despite everything that happened between them, he still has incredibly strong character.
    I wonder if Chris Rock even knew about her illness. If he didn't, which is probable, then all he saw was Jada with a shaved head and went with his joke. I know she's gone public with it but that doesn't mean that everyone knew. I also don't get the asshole vibe from Chris Rock either, I don't think he would've made that joke if he had known about it

Imagine thinking its ok to walk on stage at the Oscars and slapping the host because you don't like a joke. This comes from the same people that will try to report bomb you to get you banned on this site if you say something they slightly disagree with. She has been insanely open about the whole thing and laughed at it herself in the past. Hell, even Will was open mouth head leaned back cracking up about it 10 seconds before his wife toss him the dagger eyes.

Clearly something that could have been handled between professionals off stage and Chris shoots a short sorry after a break. Nothing more.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2022-03-28 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Can't fathom being such an emotionally crippled manchild that a tame joke like that makes you see red enough to assault a guy, especially over a woman who fucked your son's friend behind your back. And it wasn't even a proper punch either, but a limp-wristed little slap. Kudos to him for giving Chris Rock and other comedians material for a while though I guess.
    I don't think the joke it self made him switch, it was the reaction Jada had towards the joke.

Initially when Christ cracks the joke, Will is laughing and likely see's the funny side of it. It may have been a nervous laugh or awkward, but I think in that moment he was in control. But seeing Jada likely made feel like he had to react.

He could of led with the F-Bombs though or could have gone up and whispered in Chris's ear.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyimyoshyy View Post
    I don't think the joke it self made him switch, it was the reaction Jada had towards the joke.

Initially when Christ cracks the joke, Will is laughing and likely see's the funny side of it. It may have been a nervous laugh or awkward, but I think in that moment he was in control. But seeing Jada likely made feel like he had to react.

He could of led with the F-Bombs though or could have gone up and whispered in Chris's ear.
    yeah if he'd just yelled out a couple of times like he did then it would've been fine. Gave me Kanye flashbacks

This was staged and they did it for the memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyimyoshyy View Post

I think the initial reaction is what gives credence to this not being fake. I think what makes people think it's fake is that Smith's sequence of events gives the impression of a very submissive man, which is generally opposite of everyone's perception of him based upon his general Hollywood persona. But given all that's come out about his wife's actions, their 'open' relationship, and the relationship between the two... yeah, what happened and his demeanor being submissive seems very believable.

Guess it technically could be staged, but I'm fairly certain you would stage it earlier in the program. Also, the way it went down would likely be different if they were trying to stage the scenario. Real confirmation if this was staged is if next year they just happen to have a similar 'shocking' event happen.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-03-28 at 11:45 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently when it comes to his Wife, she can take someone else's Dick, just not someone else's Joke.

Oh look, celebrities are human.

Who would have thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oscars at an all time low every year and continuing to fall. And then all of a sudden this happens.... coincidence? Whether it was fake or not I doubt people are going to clamour to tune in to the Oscars next year. No one cares about glitzy award shows anymore which this years actions showed lol

Still was pretty funny. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    I don't follow American Pop culture a lot and if you see the slap out of content you cannot justify it, but i don't know whether Will SMith's wife has cancer or some illness that resulted into losing her hair, if that is the case then still you cannot justify the slap but you can certainly sympathize with him.
    She has a diseases that causes hair loss.

I think the joke was out of line, sure you can riff some jokes when your presenting but don't mock a women for losing her hair. Everyone should be able to understand how emotionally damaging it can be to go through a condition like.

That said, no obviously it wasn't right for Will Smith to walk up on stage and punch the dude on live television but lets also be real, if this same thing happened in a bar or comedy club 9 times out of 10 its 'fine', and 1 time you get punched by an overly protective boyfriend/husband.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death