My biggest concern as a primarly solo player is that buying a house locks me to that server for pretty much ever unless I want to liquidate it. It's been a trying experience finding people I enjoy playing FF14 with so every once in awhile I will just pick up and try somewhere else like that will magically fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    My biggest concern as a primarly solo player is that buying a house locks me to that server for pretty much ever unless I want to liquidate it. It's been a trying experience finding people I enjoy playing FF14 with so every once in awhile I will just pick up and try somewhere else like that will magically fix things.
    With cross world linkshells, the ability to visit other servers, and the ability to have cross world parties, this is much less of a thing. Sure, you are locked to a data center, but that's a huge selection of servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I've been so dead set on getting one, but also deep down I sort of feel like after I set everything up I'll move on to other interests and it'll just be something I sent all my Gil on
    Maybe, but a counterpoint is what else would you spend gil on? There is precious little to really throw money at in this game.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2022-03-31 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    With cross world linkshells, the ability to visit other servers, and the ability to have cross world parties, this is much less of a thing. Sure, you are locked to a data center, but that's a huge selection of servers.
    That's a fair point, i guess I just like everything to be on the server I'm playing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Don't buy one unless you're really into decorating and that kind of thing.
    It's hard to say without having played around with decorating. I mean, I like the idea of customizing a house, but when it comes to the actual interface and object placement I could end up not liking it. I already know some of the things I've seen that I like require glitching.

I might just wait and see how many offers are put on the plot I like. There's only one in all of Ishgard I'd want and it might be popular due to its location.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I would have to echo the, "Don't do it unless you reaaaaally think you'll love it." sentiments. (Or if you just don't care about the gil!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It's hard to say without having played around with decorating. I mean, I like the idea of customizing a house, but when it comes to the actual interface and object placement I could end up not liking it. I already know some of the things I've seen that I like require glitching.
    Buy an apartment for 500,000 gil and see if you like decorating. Low investment and you don't lose it if you unsub.

Aside from the purchase price, how much gil does it take? The cost to buy would be about 1/3 of my total gil. I haven't found much to spend it on in this game.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

My biggest concern regarding a house, besides the stupid random sale system, has always been that it locks me into having to staying around. Just being able to not log in for a month or two without any repercussions is just balm for my mental health and I'd fear losing that when comiting to a house. I guess I could just rent an appartment, but I figure if I want to get into housing I want the whole package, including the garden..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I might just wait and see how many offers are put on the plot I like. There's only one in all of Ishgard I'd want and it might be popular due to its location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Buy an apartment for 500,000 gil and see if you like decorating. Low investment and you don't lose it if you unsub.
    This^

Get an apartment and see if the decorating aspect is something you'll like. Don't waste time and money on a house unless you're really invested in it. That said, I really really wish that apartments had even small outdoor balconies or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from the purchase price, how much gil does it take? The cost to buy would be about 1/3 of my total gil. I haven't found much to spend it on in this game.
    It REALLY depends. Cost of the decorations and furniture can vary considerably. And your tastes may end up cheap, but it might end up liking things that cost a lot.

I had a small house I bought for ~2.5 million and spent about 5-6 million decorating it right away. I could have spent WAY more, but didn't want to spend ALL my money on it. And then over ~3 months I got pretty much everything I wanted for another 2-3 million and was basically done. I got bored of the other content in the game, took a break without thinking too much about it and logged back in ~3 months later with all my stuff from my house at the house item salvager guy (forget their name) in the ward, and no house. With a lot of that stuff not being able to be be re-sold IIRC.

It REALLY put me off the housing game in FFXIV. That's why I say unless you feel like it's going to be something you're REALLY invested in and enjoy, it's not worth it. Try and apartment first and see.

But, it's your money, do whatever you like with it.

Definitely agreed that apartments need some sort of patio or balcony. I'd prefer instanced housing akin to ESO or Wildstar, but they seem opposed to that for whatever reason.

For me, the two weak points of an apartment are that the item limit is so tiny and that a lot of cool housing ideas and tricks require a basement to float items in from.

6.1 Trailer dropped:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjTEMCVIx8

Seems like the new enemies are the twelve. And Endwalker seems to have done some lasting damage to my hype. The moment the trailer featured that damned bird, all my hype died down. Because at the end, no matter how grounded the new story starts as a fresh adventurer, they will again finish it up with time travel, ghosts and some other random stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    6.1 Trailer dropped:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjTEMCVIx8

Seems like the new enemies are the twelve. And Endwalker seems to have done some lasting damage to my hype. The moment the trailer featured that damned bird, all my hype died down. Because at the end, no matter how grounded the new story starts as a fresh adventurer, they will again finish it up with time travel, ghosts and some other random stuff.
    What damned bird are you talking about cause if its the endsinger they are just showing off the extreme version of its fight.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Sadly I missed the Live-letter, did they do a april-fools sketch somewhere?

The party consisting entirely of Scions is disappointing.

Seems like the final rolequest will actually have a duty to it this time, which is nice.

It is disappointing that the ARR trust members are generics, rather than background characters like Alianne and Isildaure or Hoary Boulder.

Samurai: To reduce action bloat, Hissatsu: Kaiten has been removed
    What? I really liked beefing up my Iaijutsu, and seeing my Midare Setsugekka hit for several digits of damage and take a noticeable chunk of health off of the boss' HP bar felt great. Thumbs down.

Summoner: Searing Light will now be cast directly from the summoner instead of Carbuncle.
    Why even have a Carbuncle anymore?

What? I really liked beefing up my Iaijutsu, and seeing my Midare Setsugekka hit for several digits of damage and take a noticeable chunk of health off of the boss' HP bar felt great. Thumbs down.
    It'll get potency buffed and will always crit so the damage should stay overall the same.
    But I agree with them that it's kinda pointless outside of yet another muscle memory check and just bloats the amount of buttons SAM has.

The amount of buttons plugins like Pcombo can condense together on SAM and DRG is insane, not much decision making/logic behind those jobs just having great muscle memory is #1.

That's something that needs to be addressed but the change is good. It's dumb to not be able to use it when Carbuncle is not out.

The party consisting entirely of Scions is disappointing.

Seems like the final rolequest will actually have a duty to it this time, which is nice.

It is disappointing that the ARR trust members are generics, rather than background characters like Alianne and Isildaure or Hoary Boulder.
    Depending on where you are in the MSQ, those character may not exist yet. Each dungeon may not have the same set of NPC's you use for the Trust.

The rest of the notes here are relevant. There are potency adjustments (likely buffs) to account for the removal of this ability.

Agreed. I really don't see the point when it literally does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The rest of the notes here are relevant. There are potency adjustments (likely buffs) to account for the removal of this ability.
    It's not the overall DPS I'm worried about. It was the gameplay loop. It felt great to build up to your 5 seconds of glory. You were keeping your speed buff refreshed, and then your attack damage buff, and you used your filler combo once a minute, and the spent time building up your 2 meditation stacks, and now your rage bar is almost full. Your Tsubame-gaeshi is about to come off cooldown. All of your ducks have been lined up. You chug your potion, buff up with hissatsu kaiten, and then it is time for your 5 seconds of glory as use your maximum powered midrare and follow it up with a tsubame, all the while dumping all of your rage into Shinten spam. When you executed everything perfectly, it felt great. I fear that removing Kaiten is going to dampen the feeling of that build up.

And it's not like Samurai is a complicated job to learn to play. You just press Kaiten right before applying your DoT and right before popping Midare. Removing it isn't going to make the job massively easier to learn. It just feels like dumbing down for dumbing down's sake.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-04-01 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    It's been a trying experience finding people I enjoy playing FF14 with so every once in awhile I will just pick up and try somewhere else like that will magically fix things.
    I know the feeling - I've been playing for about 6 years and so far I've filled up my ignore list, but I don't have a single person on my friends list. My brief stay in an FC saw me get kicked within 24h and I've not bothered to find one since.

Squenix do keep trying to get me to use the Community Finder, but it's not happening. My experience with other FF14 players has, for the most part, been negative so now I just keep myself to myself. I show up, I do the boss, and I leave and I'll probably never see the other guys ever again. And that's probably the way it's going to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    I would have to echo the, "Don't do it unless you reaaaaally think you'll love it." sentiments. (Or if you just don't care about the gil!)
    Is Gil actually a serious concern for people? I'm sat on 200 million and I've barely even tried. I find the market board so frustrating I vendor everything. I don't bother crafting or cashing in marks and tokens and just let them overflow - Mostly because cashing them in would mean dealing with the market board and the red warning saying I've missed the currency is less annoying then said Market Board.

The 10-20 or so million a house would cost seems like a drop in the ocean and there don't seem to be many other things to spend it on.