Thread: Elden Ring

Page 96 of 123 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There are illusionary rocks. Truly, this game is the work of madmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are illusionary rocks. Truly, this game is the work of madmen.
    Shout out to the bros and sis leaving messages around those.

Also shout out to From for making PvP opt-in only so I can see the messages, bloodstain and stuff without some guy interrupting my play session with this game's terrible PvP.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Oh my friend, from software doesn't need it to be an open world game to re use the fuck out of assets. Not even in single games, a third of the assets in Dark Souls 3 are straight jacked from Bloodborne and another 3rd are just polished up Dark Souls 1 assets. Elden Ring is actually sitting pretty in this regard compared to their previous efforts but asset reuse is just a reality of game development.
    The best part about all the clowns whining about asssets, is that its not even a thing to complain about lmao. The fuck mass effect entire series is resusing assets, why the hell would you not reuse your own assest wtf? Reusing your own assets doesent do anything good or bad. Doom eternal reused assts, any series or studios reuse assets, unless they like switch to new tech completly. Also reusing assets in their mind is hey, i seen similar model before. No shit we have engine now where you can easily import and modify shit, upscale texture, increase polygon for more representative rounding of shapes. If you have those assets why would you not do it. Its like complaining someone made a fucking pirate ship using legos from their previous pirate ship. OMG WHY ARE YOU USING YOUR BLOCKS AGAIN.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2022-03-31 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    The best part about all the clowns whining about asssets, is that its not even a thing to complain about lmao. The fuck mass effect entire series is resusing assets, why the hell would you not reuse your own assest wtf? Reusing your own assets doesent do anything good or bad. Doom eternal reused assts, any series or studios reuse assets, unless they like switch to new tech completly. Also reusing assets in their mind is hey, i seen similar model before. No shit we have engine now where you can easily import and modify shit, upscale texture, increase polygon for more representative rounding of shapes. If you have those assets why would you not do it. Its like complaining someone made a fucking pirate ship using legos from their previous pirate ship. OMG WHY ARE YOU USING YOUR BLOCKS AGAIN.
    Way to completely miss the point of the discussion. No one is saying that reusing assets is bad (except in the case of reusing major bosses, I stand by that being bad), but the game has a pacing problem in that it reveals 90% of its secrets about 60% of the way into the game. The Haligtree and Elphael do not have a single unique enemy type for example.

I don't agree that it ruins the game the way others do and on subsequent playthroughs I will likely skip some of the optional content, but it definitely is something they could improve on in Elden Ring 2 or whatever they make next.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Way to completely miss the point of the discussion.
    Friendly reminder there has to be a point to miss it.

Way to completely miss the point of the discussion. No one is saying that reusing assets is bad (except in the case of reusing major bosses, I stand by that being bad), but the game has a pacing problem in that it reveals 90% of its secrets about 60% of the way into the game. The Haligtree and Elphael do not have a single unique enemy type for example.

I don't agree that it ruins the game the way others do and on subsequent playthroughs I will likely skip some of the optional content, but it definitely is something they could improve on in Elden Ring 2 or whatever they make next.
    Even then it hardly ruins the game. From my point of view it's a flaw of the game, that's all. Games are allowed to have flaws, even lauded ones like Elden Ring, and still be good. I could list paragraphs of flaws for my favorite games. I still love them. I don't love Elden Ring as much as them and I doubt I will, but I still like it a lot.

Some people are acting as if discussing a game's flaws is tantamount to saying it's unredeemable trash, I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Even then it hardly ruins the game. From my point of view it's a flaw of the game, that's all. Games are allowed to have flaws, even lauded ones like Elden Ring, and still be good. I could list paragraphs of flaws for my favorite games. I still love them. I don't love Elden Ring as much as them and I doubt I will, but I still like it a lot.

Some people are acting as if discussing a game's flaws is tantamount to saying it's unredeemable trash, I swear.
    The game has many flaws certainly as all games do. Pointing out the re-use of things in completely optional content as a flaw is nonsensical and an unrealistic critique because this would be a flaw in every video game ever created.

Hence my above reply, if this is "the point" there really is no point and it's just trying to find something to complain about.

Way to completely miss the point of the discussion. No one is saying that reusing assets is bad (except in the case of reusing major bosses, I stand by that being bad).
    I disagree, i would have preferred there was hidden harder versions of all the main bosses if anything. Like an ultra hard Godrick instead of his son being kinda bad. Rahdan extreme lol where you cant summon or mount. Shit like that, theres story and then theres gameplay. If you enjoy the gameplay, the more options they give you for challenge and finding new spells and weapons the better. Nobody can realistically make hundreds of well designed bosses in a game in 6 years. The main path can be super creative, which it was, and the side content can reuse as much as it wants if it remains engage in my book.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2022-03-31 at 09:52 PM.

The game has many flaws certainly as all games do. Pointing out the re-use of things in completely optional content as a flaw is nonsensical and an unrealistic critique because this would be a flaw in every video game ever created.

Hence my above reply, if this is "the point" there really is no point and it's just trying to find something to complain about.
    No, that's just you being generally unable to grasp that nuance and differing opinions are things. You do not decide what people should and shouldn't see as flaws.

I adore the very idea of mundane, kill-them-a-million-times, enemies in the world can be mini-bosses or drop unique items. A player might never know they exist if you don't stop to fight one random ass zombie walking down the road or throw something at a soldier staring out in the distance.

This game is a work of genius.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I disagree, i would have preferred there was hidden harder versions of all the main bosses if anything. Like an ultra hard Godrick instead of his son being kinda bad. Rahdan extreme lol where you cant summon or mount. Shit like that, theres story and then theres gameplay. If you enjoy the gameplay, the more options they give you for challenge and finding new spells and weapons the better. Nobody can realistically make hundreds of well designed bosses in a game in 6 years. The main path can be super creative, which it was, and the side content can reuse as much as it wants if it remains engage in my book.
    That would be more gamey like the boss rush mode in Sekiro, which is perfectly fine, but unfortunately I don't think that's really what they were going for in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Friendly reminder there has to be a point to miss it.
    Just because you don't agree doesn't mean there isn't a point to be made. After the Royal Capital the game has basically shown you all of it's ideas, with the primary exception being Crumbling Farum Azula and the rest of the major bosses. Take the trap chests for instance, they basically do not exist past the first few zones of the game. To be honest they've done things like reusing bosses before but the difference is that those games were a lot shorter so the amount of time you spent playing reused content was far less.

Shout out to the bros and sis leaving messages around those.
    I love it! I turned them off because I was enjoying the discovery aspect. But the way the ER allows the player to make the game as challenging or obtuse as they desire is pretty awesome.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Looks like dataminers have started to find stuff on the cut 7th ending called "The Age of Absolution". If the subtitles are legit thats got some interesting implications that might be being saved for DLC.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/someone...bsolute-ending

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind the reused tombs or catacombs (let alone bosses really). The mini-dungeons are different enough and while some of the puzzles have similarities, they aren't carbon copies to where the solution is the same in each one. I completed like 80% of the achievements on my first play through, and I never felt fatigued from fighting some of the same bosses, nor doing dungeons that looked awfully familiar.

The only parts of the game I didn't truly explore every nook and cranny of was the area beyond the capital city, nor the sewers area in the city. At that point I was a bit more interested in completing the game, and my goal was to mostly ride past most areas just looting and scooting as I went. Earlier in the game I would just fully clear each area as much as I could, but when you're approaching something like 90 hours in a game you sort of start to understand how the leashing in the game works.

For a first playthrough I think it's fine because you truly don't have to do anything. Depending on what type of build you're locked into, a lot of the 'optional' areas and repeat bosses don't really offer that much power to your particular build. So while I was running around canvasing the area before going into what looked like the 'big dungeon of the area'.. well I didn't really have to do that. I had fun doing it though and while 90% of the rewards were sort of useless, at least I collected things that I might make use of if I decide to keep progressing much beyond my first playthrough.

A bit more variety in dungeons? Sure. But the reused bosses don't really bother me at all. A lot of games introduce "boss" like creatures early, only for them to become sort of common place later in the game, let alone just taking the place of regular enemies.

On another note I just never even thought that I could ride my horse during Radhan. I walked slowly towards him timing my dodges and inevitably getting hit by the arrows that follow you. I just figured it was a boss area and you weren't allowed, so I didn't even bother.

That would be more gamey like the boss rush mode in Sekiro, which is perfectly fine, but unfortunately I don't think that's really what they were going for in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean there isn't a point to be made. After the Royal Capital the game has basically shown you all of it's ideas, with the primary exception being Crumbling Farum Azula and the rest of the major bosses. Take the trap chests for instance, they basically do not exist past the first few zones of the game. To be honest they've done things like reusing bosses before but the difference is that those games were a lot shorter so the amount of time you spent playing reused content was far less.
    Nah even the major bosses should be included, well specifically the story ones, they just re-use mechanics you've already seen. The optional bosses are really good though.

Awesome, died to Death Buildup just as I killed Dung Eater with the fucking Giant Crab interfering so I didn't get to loot his gear... and running back there there's nothing to loot.

Great stuff... fs.

The presentation really is next level sometimes. The Erdtree. The underground "sky" looming over ancient ruins. Radahn's battlefield. Renala's ph2 arena. The corpse-filled valley in Mt. Gelmir. The foggy rises and towers around Liurnia. So many great looking vistas. Usually open worlds do have good looking views but this game's feel as handcrafted as in a linear experience, and they're not backgrounds or skyboxes but places you can go to 90% of the time. Really impressed by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Awesome, died to Death Buildup just as I killed Dung Eater with the fucking Giant Crab interfering so I didn't get to loot his gear... and running back there there's nothing to loot.

Great stuff... fs.
    When you finish his quest you get it. Same damn think happened to me. It was his weapon.

The presentation really is next level sometimes. The Erdtree. The underground "sky" looming over ancient ruins. Radahn's battlefield. Renala's ph2 arena. The corpse-filled valley in Mt. Gelmir. The foggy rises and towers around Liurnia. So many great looking vistas. Usually open worlds do have good looking views but this game's feel as handcrafted as in a linear experience, and they're not backgrounds or skyboxes but places you can go to 90% of the time. Really impressed by that.
    I dont think i seen a single place you cant go actually. It seems if its not either water or fog, you can go.

I'm on NG+ and scared to fight Malenia again.. I was worried for nothing... I saw some people having easy time with river of blood so I'd give it a try this go around since I have two.
    Boosted both to +9 slap on the blood loss talisman, Alexander talisman, the lower fp cost to skills one and the boost stat one. summon mimic and hit some L2.. She melts in first form. Dodge the flower thing, pull out the repeater crossbow that fires three bolts at once with the blood bolt for more blood loss. Slap her with more L2 move, does a second flower and shot her a few more time and done...
    Worried for nothing -_-