Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    April fools obviously. That first line do not forward gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    You can tell it's an April Fool's joke immediately by the line: "New Dungeon".
    I think calling it patch 9.4 first is an even deader giveaway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    April fools obviously. That first line do not forward gave it away.
    Patch 9.4 gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    How exactly is the "modern social climate" restraining creativity?
    cancel culture. being offended easy. wokeness. i think was being implied but idk.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The fact that Tinker got included in April Fools is good news that it won't be an actual thing in the 10.0 announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    I think it's a combination of this and the modern social climate restraining creativity to a degree.
    Only people whose entire humor revolved around being an asshole have an issue with this. Notice how the only "comedians" complaining about this are also those who are very clearly right-wing. If you can't make a joke without upsetting someone, you're not good at making jokes.

Also, they are fake patch notes for a videogame. What does the "modern social climate" have to do with that. Do you think people will call you racist because you pretended to make a Rogue ability more RNG in an MMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler Voltin View Post
    cancel culture. being offended easy. wokeness. i think was being implied but idk.
    How does society asking people not to be assholes to each other stifle creativity?

I got a chuckle out of the tinker section, that probably makes this better then the last couple of years. I guess our tinkler crowd is on suicide watch right now, while the fanboys keep spewing fire and brimstone at everyone that wasn't impressed with this.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Kind of wish they put in some more cutting self-aware jokes, like: "Shadowlands never intended to have a 9.3 patch." If the PR department is going to gaslight us, might as well own it!
    They kinda did, it's a patch 9.4 which in itself is a major joke considering how the expansion "totally was supposed to have only 2 patches".
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    After everything that has happened with Blizzard, it kind of seems odd for them to joke around like this. Maybe it's just me but this seems flat and strange.
    It's a long, long tradition. It's just you.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

"Feral Spirit now summons a single Spirit Jellyfish, which basically does all the work for you." Every1 playing Elden Ring recently

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    I think calling it patch 9.4 first is an even deader giveaway.

- - - Updated - - -

Patch 9.4 gave it away.
    Build number as well.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Build number as well.
    Good catch, didn't even notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Build number as well.
    Good one. Never noticed that.

The fact that they included the word "Tinker" in there proves that it's coming next expansion.

3+ Year Old Account
    How exactly is the "modern social climate" restraining creativity?
    How does society asking people not to be assholes to each other stifle creativity?
    Not wanting to make offensive jokes + an increasing number of things being considered offensive = less room to create jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Only people whose entire humor revolved around being an asshole have an issue with this. Notice how the only "comedians" complaining about this are also those who are very clearly right-wing. If you can't make a joke without upsetting someone, you're not good at making jokes.

Also, they are fake patch notes for a videogame. What does the "modern social climate" have to do with that. Do you think people will call you racist because you pretended to make a Rogue ability more RNG in an MMO?
    There's a difference between making intentionally-offensive jokes and making relatively innocuous jokes that people still manage to get offended by (See also: That 2014 Draenei April Fool's thing). I wouldn't be surprised if they combed over said fake patch notes to get rid of any potentially-Problematic™ gags, particularly given how the past year for the company has been.

If the game was in an OK state, we would still have fun with this kind of patchnotes. But for the moment, I would ask blizzard to focus first.

Quote Originally Posted by huldu View Post
    Meh... these used to be fun when the game was actually good. Now they're just pathetic and boring.
    Fun offends the Twitter crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    Not wanting to make offensive jokes + an increasing number of things being considered offensive = less room to create jokes.

There's a difference between making intentionally-offensive jokes and making relatively innocuous jokes that people still manage to get offended by (See also: That 2014 Draenei April Fool's thing). I wouldn't be surprised if they combed over said fake patch notes to get rid of any potentially-Problematic™ gags, particularly given how the past year for the company has been.
    This is called inventing a problem then getting mad about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kel_Sceptic View Post
    If the game was in an OK state, we would still have fun with this kind of patchnotes. But for the moment, I would ask blizzard to focus first.
    This is such a terrible take. "How DARE Blizzard do something fun (that they've done for 17 years in a row) when the game sucks!"

Well, when someone's humor revolves entirely around punching down, it's no wonder that those people feel their creativity is being stifled. Society is beginning to frown on punching down and they can't think of any other way to be funny. But I guess if you're not laughing a little too hard at the same recycled alienating jokes about the same 5 stereotypes, then it's you that is the problem?? Totally not the low-brow, low-hanging fruit that hasn't changed in decades, nope...

It's also a really weird thing to rant about here, on a video game of all places. Save that soapbox for whatever reddit board it came from. Blizz April Fools becoming less funny never had anything to do with "woke culture" or whatever other obviously pointed buzzwords people are puking out in these comments. Any reasoning like that is just personal political bias being projected into the discussion. I don't love the company, but credit where it's due: Blizzard has never been in the spirit of alienating parts of it's playerbase with real-life jokes that would result in even more PR disasters. That's not even close to what made their April Fools jokes funny. Blizzard April Fools used to be entertaining because of their elaborate pranks, combined with the layers of in-jokes and references to the game & community that have accumulated over the years of the game's lifespan.

Like, remember Crabby? That spectral crab version of Clippy who would follow you around every blizzard website and on the launcher to offer annoying advice? Or the several times they created entire pages and teasers for fake games & content, like with Pandaren, Blizzard Outcasts, or the entire article for a fake horror-themed dungeon in Duskwood, complete with screenshots and fake loot. That amount of effort is what made Blizz April fools fun. What changed had nothing to do with imaginary social subtext, just the fact that there isn't as much effort anymore. Now it's just fake patch notes, when in the past fake patch notes were just the cherry ontop.

Still gonna give them credit for trying I guess.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2022-04-01 at 08:36 PM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazzic518 View Post
    If only they put this much work into the actual game.
    They do.
    they put same amount of effort in patch notes and april fools patch notes.

if Blizz would put half of the effort into the real game, like thinking about april jokes..