Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Next Expansion Release Period Revealed

Well. There we have it folks. The recent Morgan day interview revealed when the next expansion is most likely to launch.

"6-8 months is the general idea of how long a season should last."

Given that season 3 started at the end of February/start of march it looks like we will have season 3 end around September/November. They have recently announced that, although there is no 9.3 we will have a season 4. Given that lasts around 6-8 months too it will spill us over into March-July 2023. Add the 2 week/1 month prepatch, the latest date could very much be August.

So what do you guys think? March-August 2023 date?

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalladin View Post
    Well. There we have it folks. The recent Morgan day interview revealed when the next expansion is most likely to launch.

Given that season 3 started at the end of February/start of march it looks like we will have season 3 end around September/November. They have recently announced that, although there is no 9.3 we will have a season 4. Given that lasts around 6-8 months too it will spill us over into March-July 2023. Add the 2 week/1 month prepatch, the latest date could very much be August.

Lol. If they wait 14+ months from now to release the next expansion this game is gonna bleed subs like crazy.

If the message Morgan is trying to pass is that it'll take us a year and a half to get to next expansion he is well delusional if he thinks they're going to keep their playerbase. WTF am I gonna do for a year and a half? Might as well play FF14 and finish the entirety of Elden Ring.

Some people here are profoundly addicted to this game. And the other half are playing it out of habit.

Drop it. I'll take 20 months between expansions if it means we get the Legion patch release cadence and content.

Should. Not will. That's a target, not a guarantee.

Says the dude with 2400 posts. And so what if we're addicted? It's the main reason Blizzard's making money. Now imagine no content for 20 months with no class/race combos. Of course we won't pay for a game that gives us no content. And I never liked Grimrail depot and Iron Docks in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    I'll take 20 months between expansions if it means we get the Legion patch release cadence and content.
    This. Anything for a Legion patch release cadence (77 days or less).
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Yeah, I think your math is dead on target. Depending on how far along they are, we're looking at the 1st or 2nd Q of next year.

I think if they do a new class they can get them in the game now with a prepurchase and keep people occupied. They definitely are preparing for a long haul content drought, never seen them do this much in the last X.X.5 patch like bringing all the old raids back for stuff to do.

I don't care how long they take. Just make it good. Make it polished. Make it fun.
    When they announced SL release in december 2020, I said to my friends it'll be rushed. They should wait until Q1 or even Q2 2021.

That said, I wish they did smaller patches with content in between, not just bug fixes. Why can't there be a 9.1.1 with a new dungeon. 9.1.2 with a new BG. 9.1.3 with a new questline. 9.1.5 with the big balance patch. Then 9.1.6 with a new faction for some mounts/transmogs/pets. 9.1.7 with a new dungeon. Then 9.2 with a new raid and zone, maybe a new dungeon/BG/whatever.
    That way there wouldn't be any content drought. Players would return to the new thing monthly/bi-montly.
    Now there's 7 months of nothing between 9.0 and 9.1 and 8 months between 9.1 and 9.2.

Assuming 8 months max for both Season 3 and 4 would put the final bar here at something like 487 days. Ouch.

Edit tweaked the graphic to reflect this.

Last edited by ChairmanKaga; 2022-04-02 at 08:36 PM.

If anyone stays subscribed throughout this period of no content they deserve to get robbed. How long can a new class/race keep you entertained with the same raid and content? We all want a good expansion, but paying $15 for nothing is crazy talk. If the game was F2P then hell yeah, take as long as you want, but you are charging people money for live service content which won't come for over a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deventh View Post
    Lol. If they wait 14+ months from now to release the next expansion this game is gonna bleed subs like crazy.
    Which is fine, Blizzard needs to change their mindset when it comes to WoW, the old model doesn't work anymore.

Designing your MMO around playing for hours every single day, that shit doesn't fly no more, but designing the MMO around the idea that people will take breaks to play other stuff, I think that'll be healthy and also lead to more success for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean yeah I wasn't expecting it to come in 2022 and thats a good amount of time for a content patch.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    Assuming 8 months max for both Season 3 and 4 would put the final bar here at something like 487 days. Ouch.

I think season 3 and 4 should be split up, though. Just treating both as one patch doesn't really reflect the ingame impact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post

What's funny is that Mists was relatively well-received, and lasted almost as long as BFA/Shadowlands(projected).

In fact, that final patch lasted longer than any other patch in WoW history.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I think season 3 and 4 should be split up, though. Just treating both as one patch doesn't really reflect the ingame impact.
    I was just following the original graphic's format. This was from a reddit post in November last year that didn't have 9.2 etc.

Last edited by ChairmanKaga; 2022-04-02 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleann View Post
    Says the dude with 2400 posts. And so what if we're addicted? It's the main reason Blizzard's making money. Now imagine no content for 20 months with no class/race combos. Of course we won't pay for a game that gives us no content. And I never liked Grimrail depot and Iron Docks in the first place.
    Who is we? You only speak for you. There are plenty of others who will play the game regardless.

I think it's probable they shoot for a 14 month window than 16 months, putting that 9.2/9.2.5 seasons 3 + 4 at 425 days only a little under a month longer than the end of Mists.

how the hell is this revealing anything, its speculation at best...
    he said its how long season idealy SHOULD last, not even all season in past lasted that long, why on earth would you assume SL seasons would, especialy the season 4 which is more or less experimental?
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-04-02 at 08:56 PM.