Russia has called a meeting of the UN security council to discuss Bucha. That's going to be sickening levels of lying.

Maybe Musk wanted to inject a little levity by such witless wit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I kinda wish I was. Or, actually, I don't. I cannot image what this website must be like to read for the first time at this point.
    Well, I doubt most people jump right into a wide reading of the Gen OT forum, let alone the Politics sub-forum. They likely get sucked into the game-related stuff first, then migrate over slowly, getting somewhat a chance to acclimatize.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Why do you believe that Musk is a bond villain who is partnered with Putin? Elon Musk actually wants to save Ukraine by defeating Putin in single combat.
    Oh yeah... ol' Musky is a huge champion of Ukraine:

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Oh yeah... ol' Musky is a huge champion of Ukraine:
    Oof.

I knew he was a bit of a dick, but that's just awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Oof.

I knew he was a bit of a dick, but that's just awful.
    The irony is that being a contrarian asshole on Twitter is itself a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I just watched CNN's broadcast of the war crimes today and holy shit, the reporter echoed exactly what I said:

"The world is helpless as it watches Russia's onslaught, unable to do anything."
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I just watched CNN's broadcast of the war crimes today and holy shit, the reporter echoed exactly what I said:

"The world is helpless as it watches Russia's onslaught, unable to do anything."
    Did the CNN reporter say that nukes were going to be used at some point in this war? Did they say that Putin was on his deathbed and had nothing to lose, so he was threatening everyone with nuclear winter? Did they say that Russia was going to conquer Europe and that nothing could stop him because he had nukes?

Then no, the reporter didn't echo exactly what you said.

That shit's all in your head, and you can't seem to tell the difference.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Did the CNN reporter say that nukes were going to be used at some point in this war
    I infer her saying "helpless" and "unable to do anything" because of nukes without openly saying it.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

I infer her saying "helpless" and "unable to do anything" because of nukes without openly saying it.
    That is 2000 years of olympics and stretch armstrong levels of stretching. What the fuck are you talking about?

Satellite images provide new details on mass grave in Bucha

So this is horrible.

Satellite imagery released Sunday provided new information about a mass grave in the Ukrainian town of Bucha, which has become a global focus due to shocking images of civilian deaths.

The images from Maxar Technologies indicated the gravesite was located at the Church of St. Andrew and Pyervozvannoho All Saints in the suburb of the capital Kyiv.

The company said that the first signs of excavation occurred on March 10, about two weeks into the war, while images from March 31 showed an approximately 45-foot long trench near the church.

Maxar Technologies also cited social media footage showing dozens of dead civilians being buried in mass the grave.

Bucha was the site of five weeks of firefights between Russian and Ukrainian forces before Moscow withdrew troops from the town as part what it says is a shift away from Kyiv.

The gruesome images and reports coming out of Bucha has sparked calls for harsher action against Russia for alleged war crimes.

“The Ukrainian city of Bucha was in the hands of [Russian] animals for several weeks. Local civilians were being executed arbitrarily, some with hands tied behind their backs, their bodies scattered in the streets of the city,” Ukraine’s defense ministry said in a statement.

Other satellite imagery from earlier this month showed the vast damage that Ukrainian cities have endured as a result of the attacks.

“Extensive damage is noted to the civilian infrastructure in and around the city, including residential homes, high-rise apartment buildings, grocery stores and shopping centers,” Maxar said in a statement about the city of Mariupol, which has endured heavy damages amid the invasion.

The satellite imagery has also been used to show developments like troop tents and military vehicles as well as a Russian military convoy outside Kyiv earlier in the attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are literally not the same things at all.

In fact, they're pretty much the opposite.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Those are literally not the same things at all.

In fact, they're pretty much the opposite.
    I don't know why you are so against the notion or idea that if Russia were not armed with nuclear weapons, they would not exist for what they've done in Ukraine by virtue of the unstoppable Western war machine that would rain down upon them.

That is Russia's only deterrent. That is why they are allowed to do this right now. You know those fairly tame weapons being supplied to Ukraine holding off the invaders? Imagine Russia facing the full might of the *suppliers* with their bandit army instead. Boosh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why you are so against the notion or idea that if Russia were not armed with nuclear weapons, they would not exist for what they've done in Ukraine by virtue of the unstoppable Western war machine that would rain down upon them.
    Because it's a fucking delusion. It's fantasy. The very idea is ludicrous. For a litany of reasons.

That is Russia's only deterrent. That is why they are allowed to do this right now. You know those fairly tame weapons being supplied to Ukraine holding off the invaders? Imagine Russia facing the full might of the *suppliers* with their bandit army instead. Boosh.
    You're so out of touch with reality that it's scary.

Get help, please.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    .....wow I'm impressed at how far you will go to push your narrative. I can see why 90% of the posters hate your posts.

Honest question: do you ever take a step back and think deeply about your current perspective (and more importantly... why almost no one here seems to share nearly any of it)?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    do you ever take a step back and think deeply about your current perspective (and more importantly... why almost no one here seems to share nearly any of it)?
    1) the internet is full of cruel and calluous people (captain obvious). Short of them actually coming to your house, where it's going to be a hell of a different story, you learn to express yourself regardless after decades of dealing with it. This is a free country, after all. I don't care if people hate me or my narrative, I have my opinions that I can voice. I don't even trample over other people's opinions anyways.

2. On the surface, especially when horrible happenings like this occur in the world, people will at least feign optimism. They simply do not want to hear of topics like nuclear warfare or WW3 because that is the worst case scenario dilemma. Me, though? I am not an optimistic person. I don't know if you call it being a realist or pessimist, but I will always gaze upon the world in terms of expecting the worst to come. It's not appealing or comfortable, but I know the evils of humanity. I've seen it firsthand and read all about it all my life.

And Putin and his army is demonstrating to be the incarnation of evil.

Can everyone learn to just fucking ignore Yuppie if mods aren't gonna do anything about him. Just fills the thread with useless, unnecessary bullshit.

-------

Nothing quite says 'going as planned' like desecrating the dead.
    In before fog of war, Ukrainian's did it.

"Unable to do anything" in itself is already not true... considering all the military aid that's already been provided...plus all the plans for more aid. One of the reasons that Ukraine has held out for so long is because of all that aid. Like, if NATO were truly "helpless" and "unable" that aid would not be there at all.

- - - Updated - - -

1) the internet is full of cruel and calluous people

You would know. You are one of them.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

In light of Bucha, the German defence minister has said that Europe should consider a ban on gas imports from Russia.

Not holding my breathe that it will actually happen but Germany should be a lot more outspoken about a fascist regime committing genocide given their history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    In light of Bucha, the German defence minister has said that Europe should consider a ban on gas imports from Russia.

Not holding my breathe that it will actually happen but Germany should be a lot more outspoken about a fascist regime committing genocide given their history.
    I mean, this is basically the only realistic stranglehold Russia has left on the majority of the rest of the world cutting ties with it.

I will profess a lack of in-depth knowledge of EU power infrastructure, but I get the impression that they are heavily reliant upon Russia for fulfilling their energy needs, particularly in winter.

Well, we entered Spring but two weeks ago, so this is about the longest it's going to be before the next winter sets in. Europe has been rapidly shifting its energy goals in reducing reliance upon Russia forwards, and perhaps they should start adapting to "no more Russian fuel imports, period" as a realistic end-goal, instead of "just less Russian fuel imports."

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that Russia isn't going to be "shamed" into dialing back their atrocities by any country's rebuking, no matter how outspoken they might be. If Shalcker weren't on his forum-mandated vacation I'm sure he'd be in here spewing nonsense about how it either didn't happen, how it's all Ukrainian conspiracies, and/or throwing in whataboutisms about atrocities the US may or may not have committed in any random smattering of places with dates ranging as far back as the 1800s. Easo is in here claiming "fog of war, you can't possibly know it's that bad!" and most of the other Russian shills have gone quiet.

The only thing that Russia will understand is being impacted directly. Monetarily. It might not take effect immediately, and the Russians might shrug and pretend it isn't happening while continuing on their rape and murder sprees. But it's the only thing that will have effect. Actions are needed, not words, no matter how pointed those words might be. The Russians will just say "man are those other countries yelling angry words at us. Might as well drown them out by blowing up this hospital"
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-04-04 at 02:21 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.