Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

No reason to lock certain classes behind certain races only

Long story short: every single race should be able to choose and pick whatever class they want to play.

It seems that developers are too afraid to challenge and experiment with some of these foundations that almost doesn't mean anything in reality. Finding the ways and then allowing players to pick a class and their favorite race, and combine them together, would be an ideal and satisfactory outcome. Some of these magical inventions should take place now, without any fear.

I'm not invested in WoW, nor I play this game, posting out of nostalgia believing that the ancient and almost religious stubbornness isn't a right way to go. And with a upcoming cross-faction, the all-time sworn enemies Horde and Alliance are coming to play together for the rest of the time. It only a proves that they can do more with breaking up those ancient chains. The old men and women who wrote Warcraft aren't any fabric of any reality, everything can (and should) change in favor of a better future.

I feel like half the people who make posts like this think to themselves "blood elf druid and night elf paladin!" when the reality is, that is a tough pill to swallow when you also introduce Pandaren Demon Hunters, Goblin Paladins and Tauren Rogues.

No. Just, no.

This game has already removed too much of its RPG origins. Let's try and maintain what little is left and which makes each race feel distinct.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Tauren Rogues.
    Sneakyhooves

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    No. Just, no.

This game has already removed too much of its RPG origins. Let's try and maintain what little is left and which makes each race feel distinct.
    I can't think of any other game that isn't an MMO that locks classes to races. So saying it removes the "RPG origins" makes absolutely no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I can't think of any other game that isn't an MMO that locks classes to races. So saying it removes the "RPG origins" makes absolutely no sense to me.
    I agree, it's not like a night elf will stop being a night elf if they can all of the sudden learn the ways of being a paladin, or warlock. I for one dislike tauren, but if a tauren could be a warlock, id would be kick arse. Demonic fiery hoof glyph incoming, with green fire horns and eyes. PS. Blizz take my money now!

I'm only ok with this if we get a FFXIV class system with it.

I agree. This is especially true since we pretty much see every race with every class on NPCs at some point (except DH). It made some sense back in classic, but even then the lore reasons were weak. With the new leveling experience and much of the racial origins lost, it makes no sense not to allow it at this point.

Druids and to a lesser extent paladins seem to be the only real issues, since they have unique stuff based on their race. Paladins have different chargers/divine steeds based on race, and druids historically get a unique set of form skins per race. Though I think people would probably prefer reusing the same models instead of not having racial freedom.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Dragon Age does (Maybe they've changed it in the lastest game) but Dwarfs can't use magic in lore so couldn't be magical classes.

But that's the only one I can think of besides MMOs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twistnectar View Post
    I agree, it's not like a night elf will stop being a night elf if they can all of the sudden learn the ways of being a paladin, or warlock. I for one dislike tauren, but if a tauren could be a warlock, id would be kick arse. Demonic fiery hoof glyph incoming, with green fire horns and eyes. PS. Blizz take my money now!
    The evil Highmountain tribe could make a pretty easy lore bridge to bring in Warlock Tauren? Like how Higborne were used to justify NE mages.

Agreed a thousand times.

Makes literally zero sense for any of the classes to be locked behind any of the races.

Imagine you're sitting at table playing D&D with your friends, and your DM insists that you can't be a Goblin Paladin, and just whines "because they caaaan't!" over and over and over again. You'd wanna slap em.

As long as the theme fits the race, i dont see an issue with allowing it. Panda druids would be top of that list as far as im concerned. Tauren demon hunters jumping around with wings though? not so much. Writing a small segment of lore to allow for anything, wouldnt exactly be the hardest thing ever to justify.

Then again, even for tauren dhs, i suppose i barely care, so even that might be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistnectar View Post
    To a degree I understand why some races can't be some classes. But in lore, ANY race can become a demon hunter. There are also night elf paladins now so it's clear Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about sticking to the old lore.

I get the lore.

But at this point, I don't care.

Players having fun with their own character is more important. If seeing a Pandaren demon hunter really breaks your entire world to pieces, maybe that's okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like half the people who make posts like this think to themselves "blood elf druid and night elf paladin!" when the reality is, that is a tough pill to swallow when you also introduce Pandaren Demon Hunters, Goblin Paladins and Tauren Rogues.
    Goblin Shaman. Orc Mages. Tauren Paladin
    The Idiocy. The Lore Violating Is Already Here
    Night Elf Mages Being Retconned Into OK Has Happened
    Broard-Spectrum Stupidity Is A Price Worth Paying For Draenei Warlocks
    Wrath baby and proud of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I always welcome more options, I'm also okay with them slowly but surely opening them up, so they still have time to, even if its with just 1 or 2 NPC, justify the creation of that race and class combo.

Some classes are linked to the identity of certain races.

There's lore for at least night elf paladins being in, but for whatever reason, Blizzard won't flip that switch and it's annoying.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Sneakyhooves
    Just use Human-feet-shaped-boots FFS
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

This about sums it up, I see people referencing other class combo's but most can be explained with a law explanation but ultimately Blizzard is to blame for not changing the aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Agreed a thousand times.

Makes literally zero sense for any of the classes to be locked behind any of the races.

Imagine you're sitting at table playing D&D with your friends, and your DM insists that you can't be a Goblin Paladin, and just whines "because they caaaan't!" over and over and over again. You'd wanna slap em.
    And who TF are you to tell them how to run their session? People can have preferences contrary to yours... Imagine resorting to physical violence because you don't agree with a DM in D&D. Maybe just don't play with that DM again.