Poll: Do you want Player Housing in WoW?

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Feitori View Post
    Even if you dislike player housing as a concept, you can't deny that it's a very popular feature among MMO players and it could bring a lot of players into this game. And just for that, it would be worth it imo.
    IT's not going to bring new players into the game. This game is almost 20 years old. It is long past the time where it can attract a lot of new players. ANd no it is not worth it whgen those players will sit in their instances and then log off when they are doing playing house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    With how shit wow is now i would much rather play the sims.
    Then do it. It is readily available to play.

For sure, it won't hurt the game, it will generate more content, it will create more things to do, professions, collectibles to acquire, there is no downside. For those who hate the idea, there's an excellent solution: Don't use the feature, pretend it doesn't exist, ignoring it works great.

I hate pet battles, I don't come close but i know that it generated a huge content for the game, that's positive.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    IT's not going to bring new players into the game. This game is almost 20 years old. It is long past the time where it can attract a lot of new players. ANd no it is not worth it whgen those players will sit in their instances and then log off when they are doing playing house.
    There are still new people coming to wow, you know. Especially lately, when there's been a big demand for MMOs and people are going crazy even for games that have aged far worse than wow. I think people rediscovered this genre during the lockdowns. (And hell, even BFA and Legion had insane sale numbers)

Also, where did all of you get the idea that someone who likes housing will just sit in their instance and never do anything else? That's such a strange idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothyjean View Post
    True but I can also see it from their perspective not so much in pushing player housing to do this or that but historically speaking player housing just seems to end up as a go nowhere idea in order to either save an aspect of the game or just to become this "i'm super rich, look at me I have 4 accounts and 4 mansions" kind of perspective.

They had player housing back in Dark Ages of Camelot which really helped drive the economy because of merchants you could place on your house but ultimately they changed to more of an Auction house format and player housing just because a place to store your crap like trophies etc. They could tie in archaeology like they did with Garrisons and add to it but it's just, ultimately, fluff that needs to be maintained and served up for Blizzard. If they did some sort of throwback to Garrisons to make old content more relevant with modern patches I would be fully on board with that where you can re-build your Garrison and add new stuff to it but I doubt they will do it tbh.
    Honestly i'd rather they let us get say heads of foes we've slain as drops(or crafting materials to do it) some general area props etc and just let us fsrm old content and craft away for housing stuff then touch garrisons

I don't care for player housing but I'm not against it. So go for it.

Player housing is a shitshow in final fantasy and I'd rather Blizzard not try to copy it

I genuinely dont know how you would do it that doesnt really become garrisons or a click spam fest like in FF

Only if it's purely cosmetic. It can give absolutely no benefits or the players will stay in the houses and the open world will die once and for all.

Have you forgotten WOD already? Garrisons were bare bones and there was almost no other content in that expansion. Now add to that everything you want. That will take far more resources than any of the stuff you brought up.

Get people out in the world. Don't create content that stuffs them by themselves in their own instance. Sims is --> if you want to play house.
    WoD didn't really have so much less content.
    But yes Garrison kept you in the garrison. But onyl because they gave us everything we need in there.
    There was no reason to go out anymore. Like at all.

Housing is purely cosmetic. Or should be. Imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Feitori View Post
    Even if you dislike player housing as a concept, you can't deny that it's a very popular feature among MMO players and it could bring a lot of players into this game. And just for that, it would be worth it imo.
    and even if yoy like it you cant deny you have no fucking clue if it would be popular in wow and if it would bring any players back...
    it could end up being next pet battles, some people would do it, most would simply not care, so if its on top of all content, sure lets give it a shot, if it would "cost" us as much as single raid boss its a waste imo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarkayan View Post
    there is no downside.
    except for the development time and resources that could be spent doing some actual content...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    WoD didn't really have so much less content.
    you cant seriously think this if youve ever played it...

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    But yes Garrison kept you in the garrison. But onyl because they gave us everything we need in there.
    There was no reason to go out anymore. Like at all.

Housing is purely cosmetic. Or should be. Imho.
    which just mean for most people there will be no reason to go IN... so as pointed out few times, wasted development time and resources

- - - Updated - - -

i love how some people seem to think that players collecting mounts/transmogs would love housing bcs they could collect shite for it as if theres no difference between collecting something that you USE and other players can see wherever you met them, and collecting something thats hidden somewhere even you dont see it unless you go there...

its like buying ferrari and then puting it in garage and never drive it or show it to anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Source? Cause they have literally never said they WOULD NOT do it, as they have tried multiple times in the past, and have gone on record saying they want to do it.
    Do you got a source for them saying they want to do it? Never once heard that.

Only as a secondary feature you do in your downtime.
    Never as a main feature!

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Player housing is a shitshow in final fantasy and I'd rather Blizzard not try to copy it

I genuinely dont know how you would do it that doesnt really become garrisons or a click spam fest like in FF
    Fixing it with the lottery system though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Do you got a source for them saying they want to do it? Never once heard that.
    1- they tried to add housing in vanilla
    2- they added their first version of housing with the garrison

2004-12-14
    Caydiem: "Housing is a huge feature with a lot of dedicated time needed. While we definitely want to do housing, and it is something 'on the list', it's not a 'soon after release' feature. It's more of an 'on the horizon' feature. "

2004-07-15
    Katricia: "Guild Halls will most likely not be implemented before World of Warcraft is released. They are very similar to Player Housing (which also will not make the release).
    Both 'layer Housing and Guild Halls will be implemented as soon as possible after release.
    I have no information available regarding the functions of either Guild Halls or Player Housing.
    ~Kat "

Katricia: "Player housing will not be available until after World of Warcraft has been released. Our plan is to add player housing in a future live update or expansion. Our current idea (which could change) is to extend the cities to have player housing neighborhoods. For example, in the canal area of Stormwind players can see a blue instance portal behind a large portcullis; this is the entrance to the player housing neighborhood in Stormwind."

(2006-1-7)
    Tigole: "You've posted some really cool ideas on Guild Halls.
    Player and guild housing is something we've always been interested in pursuing. While we won't be including those features in the Burning Crusade, that doesn't mean we've abandoned our hope to include housing in the game sometime in the future."

(2006-10-02)
    Nethaera: "The word is that we like the idea of player housing and would like to implement it at some point in the future, however we don't have any particular ETA of when we will. There is a laundry list of things we still would like to add to World of Warcraft and this is just one of them."

2007-10-04)
    Nethaera: "These were not promised at any particular time . I don't believe we even used the word "promise" in any statements about these. We have said in the past , however, that these are things we would like to see added to the game. I can't give you an ETA since we don't have one as of yet.
    We'd like them added in, sure, but beyond that we couldn't tell you more. When we get close to a point where we actually are implementing these things, we'll do what we can to give you all a heads-up."

2008-9-01)
    Drysc: "Heh, well skimming through it seems not everyone wants player housing at the moment. Not that we use the forums as a barometer for popular opinion, but anyway...Player housing is still something that intrigues us. If the place and time are right, and we can add player housing and make it a meaningful addition to the game, make it cool, we'll do so."

Is there a feature in another MMO that you admire and would like to see in WoW? (2008-9-01)
    Tom Chilton: "Sure! Right now, for example, we don't have a housing system. Other MMOs have it and it's a system that we've talked about since before the launch of the original WoW. We've talked about housing and how we'd do it and how it might work for at least five years."
    Is it something you're actively working on?
    Tom Chilton: "No, we're not working on right now, but it's incredibly complex to do right and we're not sure yet if it's going to be the right thing for WoW in the long run. It has major implications for the game itself and again I wouldn't go out of my way and say never but it's not on the immediately of things to do."

THey have said stuff like this

Will this ever come? I googled alot, but i cant find a post of a Blizzard official denying this could be coming. (2011-7-25)
    Takralus: "I'm afraid there's no update since the last time we spoke about it. We know it's a feature that some players would be interested in, but consider the fact that players are sad to see the world outside the city is quieter since the introduction of things like the LFD tool and flying mounts etc. I'm speculating here, but player housing may take yet more people out of the world, and even cities.
    Plus there's also the continuous weighing-up we have to do when it comes to development time. I imagine it would be a huge task, taking the devs away from creating new encounters and other features."
    Are we going to see guild houses someday so we could finally get a special gather place for the guild, to meet and interact easily? (2011-4-27)
    Draztal: "Guild housing is something we have discussed many times. It would be neat to have a place for people to hang out, but every time it has come up as a possibility we don't think that is worth the amount of time and resources it would take to implement (and do it right). This is one of those features where if we ever decided to do it, the benefit would have to outweigh other content we could be working on. Also, we don't feel that we need any new ways for players to hide themselves away. If possible we at least like people to be hanging around in the cities, if not out in the world. We know that many guilds, despite lack of official guild housing, have designated meeting locations throughout the world, which we think is really cool. If you don't have one yet it might be something to explore."

but that is not them saying "we are never going to add it" that is them saying it is a lot of work, and its rough, also taliesin has spoken about his talks with ion aswell...

there is this, but this was a joke answer because of how long they have been saying they want to add it.
    "During the Gamescom 2010, Tom Chilton declared that "housing will be introduced to World of Warcraft some time right after "never".""

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Player_housing

also there is also this.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...ntent-Creators
    Housing is a big topic at Blizzard. The developers are still thinking about how to implement it so that it does not feel so clumsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post

Housing is one of the best parts of FF14, except the artificial limitation on how many houses there are.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean I don't care either way but I probably wouldn't use it unless I had to.

Have you forgotten WOD already? Garrisons were bare bones and there was almost no other content in that expansion. Now add to that everything you want. That will take far more resources than any of the stuff you brought up.

Get people out in the world. Don't create content that stuffs them by themselves in their own instance. Sims is --> if you want to play house.
    The housing is part of the world. That's why in FF14 I can go to an event at someone's house every night of the week with dozens of other people.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Housing is one of the best parts of FF14, except the artificial limitation on how many houses there are.
    Yeah I've never used it there either

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Yeah I've never used it there either
    The best part about it is you don't have to if you don't want to, a lesson blizzard desperately needs to learn.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    The best part about it is you don't have to if you don't want to, a lesson blizzard desperately needs to learn.
    yeah compared to games like New World where if you are a serious crafter you have to have multiple houses with trophies in them to make the best gear

Precisely. There is no possible way that an MMO can have all of its content appeal to the entirety of its playerbase. Yet, virtually all WoW content funnels you down the same pipeline. You might be further along in that pipeline than others, or stop yourself at some point, but you're in that pipeline nevertheless. The loot treadmill. You move from Normal to Heroic to Mythic. You infinitely scale your dungeon runs. You rank up your PvP ELO.

They need to release content that stands on its own merit, disconnected from the loot grind. As an added bonus? These systems become evergreen content that do not require additional updates or reinvention.

Torghast is a great example. A rogue-like experience in WoW sounds intriguing to me, but utterly pointless to others. All the same, because it was roped into itemization, those people that find it unappealing are still required to do it. Months down the line, the system is dedicated to these players rather than the players that were actually interested in the concept. They kneecapped themselves. And to top it off? The entire system is going to go in the trash come 10.0. And they'll reinvent it. Having learned the wrong lessons.