Poll: What will Blizzard do with Classic after Wrath?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemosia View Post
    That slight difference is not the same as the massive difference of playing 'X expansion' in retail.
    That's not a slight difference. Classic servers now have 100% more experience game.

If they plan to do Cata Classic they NEED to announce it and Wrath AT THE SAME TIME.

Because if they're going to KEEP splintering this playerbase, I'm just quitting NOW. BEFORE I waste my fucking time HOPING I can enjoy Wrath for any amount of time.

If they do Cataclysm Classic, they HAVE TO tell us 2/3 years in advance.. No fucking way I'm going to level my characters at all if they think they can just keep yanking the goalpost out from under us.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by ulillillia View Post
    That's not a slight difference. Classic servers now have 100% more experience game.
    Players bringing more experience from having played 15 years prior has nothing to do with the difference between having the entire server being in a complete different expansion that the one you want to live (also not everyone has said experience, I have met way more people who never played original classic than nostalgics like me). Experienced or not, players in 2004 Classic and in 2021 Classic are playing the same expansion, which is what game experience is based on, the whole expansion. Players in 2007 TBC were playing TBC, and players in 2022 playing TBC in retail are playing retail being in the TBC map. It's not the same and I don't know how to explain it better. Again, if it's because you think 'game experience' is only killing mobs inside specific dungeons, then we can agree to disagree and that's fine. That game experience is valid, but it's simply not enough of what we are looking for when we say we would love a MoP expansion server and why no 'just do X in retail' would work for us.

But if not, simply answer the question: If playing X old expansion in retail is the exact same game experience as playing it on a dedicated server for that expansion, why did people go play in TBC servers if TBC is already available in retail? Why move? Why install a new game, why go through all that effort if the same exact game experience was already available in the already installed retail version? Can you just answer it please?
    Last edited by Mnemosia; 2022-04-12 at 05:01 PM.

Players bringing more experience from having played 15 years prior has nothing to do with the difference between having the entire server being in a complete different expansion that the one you want to live (also not everyone has said experience, I have met way more people who never played original classic than nostalgics like me).
    I think you need to read properly. I am not saying "people have more experience now after 15 years of playing". I'm talking about the buff you get on Classic servers that gives you 100% more experience when you level.

I think you need to read properly. I am not saying "people have more experience now after 15 years of playing". I'm talking about the buff you get on Classic servers that gives you 100% more experience when you level.
    What buff are you talking about? I have leveled characters in TBC and know nothing about that buff. Is that the SoM thing that experience is increased? Because that's the only thing that comes to my mind when talking about leveling and experience and it doesn't apply to Classic outside SoM and SoM was specifically made for a purpose which is already a pre-announced different experience than original Classic and people who want the original one still had/have Classic original servers. People who get into SoM already know they are going for a different experience, what does that have to do with Classic and TBC experiences which are the ones we are discussing?

If you can point to the name of the buff or elaborate I would appreciate, please.
    Last edited by Mnemosia; 2022-04-12 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deventh View Post
    They will stop making Classic servers when they see people stop playing them. Since WOTLK will 100% be played they will most likely make Cataclysm classic too, but if that is not played enough they will stop there.
    This. It's all about the money, and Classic is the only popular thing they have going atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sariengrey View Post
    People talk about playing Cata again? unbelievable. I been here since day 1 of WoW, every xpac, hardcore. Cata was universally hated and the forums blew up daily about how bad of an experience it was yet here we are 10 years later and people are all, "cant wait to play Cata classic!" ...what?!

I can see it now in 5+ years people will be like "I cant wait to play WoD classic, it was so awesome!"
    Threads like this convince of me of 2 things...WoW players don't actually know what they want or like & WoW players just like to dump on whatever xpac is current...as has been happening since CATA!!

For the record I liked Cata and I like SL as well
    This should stop at classic WotLK before it gets any more stupid
    Such short memories...
    I liked Cata too, go figure.

#TeamUnpopularOpinions?

What buff are you talking about? I have leveled characters in TBC and know nothing about that buff.
    I said nothing about TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    What buff are you talking about? I have leveled characters in TBC and know nothing about that buff. Is that the SoM thing that experience is increased? Because that's the only thing that comes to my mind when talking about leveling and experience and it doesn't apply to Classic outside SoM and SoM was specifically made for a purpose which is already a pre-announced different experience than original Classic and people who want the original one still had/have Classic original servers. People who get into SoM already know they are going for a different experience, what does that have to do with Classic and TBC experiences which are the ones we are discussing?

If you can point to the name of the buff or elaborate I would appreciate, please.
    He's talking about SOM and the 100% buff to quest xp.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I think a lot of people see Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath as this "holy trinity" of great expansions. Sure, in hindsight you could say that Wrath introduced a lot of features that would end up making the game worse over the years, but at the time it was the best of the best and when Blizzard's subscriber numbers peaked the highest they ever would.

Cataclysm, on the other hand, ended up being kind of lackluster after the initial novelty of the new and ruined revamped world wore off so I think anyone looking for a Cata Classic has to be in the minority.

However, this is where it gets potentially complicated. MoP was way more popular than Cata and that's something more and more people come to realize as time goes by, even if they didn't like it that much at the time. The same goes for Legion actually, but Legion is preceded by WoD which I don't think most people want to re-experience.

The way I see it, the near future of Classic releases has the following possible outcomes:

1. They will stop at Wrath Classic, completing the "Classic Trilogy" of past expansions.

2. They will release Cata Classic and follow it up with MoP Classic (despite Cata not having as much hype behind it) in order to maintain the chronological order of releases.

3. They will skip Cata Classic and go straight to MoP Classic. (Potentially controversial for anyone who has a soft spot for Cata)

Now maybe I am wrong in this and people actually like Cata a lot, but I just don't hear a lot of people talking about it as much as they talk about MoP or Legion so forgive me if this comes off as super biased. That's not my intention here.
    they will release every single expansion - because its literaly free bilions of $$$$ for them

after cata you just release backup data and count $$$$$$

I said nothing about TBC.
    The buff you're talking about doesn't apply in normal Classic, it's for SoM only. People who go into SoM already know it's a different experience, and it still doesn't affect Classic normal experience which is/was still available in it's own servers. Those servers are not shared with SoM ones. It's two different experiences, doesn't make the original one disappear. The whole thing has an entirely new different name precisely to point out that it is a different experience offered so it's not assumed it's how normal Classic works. Normal Classic doesn't have any 100% experience buff so it's still only slightly different from the original one, not vastly.

Can you at least answer the question please? Why would people go to a TBC dedicated server if TBC is still available in retail like you said? Why would it be offered if it's exactly the same? Why would anyone dedicate resources to it if players could just go to retail and live the exact same experience?
    Last edited by Mnemosia; 2022-04-12 at 06:13 PM.

The buff you're talking about doesn't apply in normal Classic, it's for SoM only. People who go into SoM already know it's a different experience, and it still doesn't affect Classic normal experience which is/was still available in it's own servers. Those servers are not shared with SoM ones. It's two different experiences, doesn't make the original one disappear.
    The Classic "normal experience" is dead. The only way to play Classic now is SoM, because nobody is on those normal Classic servers. They're dead. Even more so now that SoM is out. So the only way to play Classic is by accepting that there are tons of changes that make the game different.

The Classic "normal experience" is dead. The only way to play Classic now is SoM, because nobody is on those normal Classic servers. They're dead. Even more so now that SoM is out. So the only way to play Classic is by accepting that there are tons of changes that make the game different.
    It's 'dead' because it already happened, just like TBC experience will 'die' once Wrath comes out and everyone plays there as current. That doesn't mean it wasn't almost true to original when it was current and it was not dead. Did you have a 100% experience buff on the Classic version that died? Because I don't think you did and therefore the game experience from original classic and the 2021 version is slight, whereas the game experience you suggest of playing an old expansion inside the current one is vastly different.

Just because you have to play SoM to 'play classic' doesn't mean they are altering the original classic experience. You were already offered the original classic experience, you already played it and it was only slightly different than original one and had no 100% buffs. Now we are in TBC and it's still true to the original one. These are the things we are comparing, not whether it's dead or not. When normal classic was available/not dead, was it vastly different to 2004 classic or not? SoM has nothing to do here, it was already designed as a different experience and people knew it beforehand.

The question still stands: If playing TBC in retail is the exact same game experience as playing it in a dedicated TBC server, why does the TBC server exist? Can't people 'just play it in retail'? Can you please answer the question?
    Last edited by Mnemosia; 2022-04-12 at 06:23 PM.

Question, since I didn't go back to Classic and I'm full on TBC. Are the classic servers (not SoM) actually alive with people still playing? I do love the idea of keeping a character and just reliving it from time to time but not sure how popular that idea is and how many people would generally be on 'locked expansion' servers?
    This already exists for classics. I just didn't have a max level character in Classic. I will have 2 from TBC because I have 2 accounts with boosted characters. If not for the boost I would not be able to play TBCC. I hope they do it again in Wrath or just let me buy as many as I want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    See you say that, but anyone who played Classic / TBC Classic has realized just how bad the game was. Balance was horrific. The only reason we're playing it is nostalgia and the only reason it wasn't a total joke in its time is that we were all bad back then. Things like "class identity" that get thrown around a lot really just boil down to inconveniences that some classes could overcome and some couldn't, or adding a really powerful buff or debuff to a shitty spec so that it gets brought to a raid rather than actually making it decent. During your "god tier" expansions players complained about the same things you're complaining about now with modern WoW. Modern WoW is objectively better in a lot of ways. I've been playing Classic TBC purely for nostalgia and the fact that SL didn't appeal to me. Modern WoW also just has better competition which highlights a lot of the flaws in WoW.

Churning out versions of Classic for free money while developing retail WoW has worked for me them so far, I don't see why they'd change it up now. Nostalgia sells.
    IDk I am truly enjoying the raiding I have been raiding Since TBCC was released and have very much enjoyed playing the raids I missed back when it was current content. I cannot wait for Wrath as It was when DK's were actually fun to play DPS Blood DPS FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    This already exists for classics. I just didn't have a max level character in Classic. I will have 2 from TBC because I have 2 accounts with boosted characters. If not for the boost I would not be able to play TBCC. I hope they do it again in Wrath or just let me buy as many as I want.
    yep it was huge mistake not letting people buy boosts there . i and many others would literaly toss $$$$ at them if we just could buy boosts.

i mean i bought booost with tbc just to level up to 63 and stop there because i got bored of leveling. i i could buy boost to 70 i would for sure play endgame in tbc.

luckily in wolk leveling is much nicers then in tbc. so will hit max level there with dungeon spam thx to lfd.

Nope. Catacylsm with potentially be the last. If cata meets whatever benchmark they have for sucessful then they will keep on rereleasing the expansions. I think they've been qouted saying most of the ground work for classic was done when they did the original classic so it's much easier for them now to just push out the next xpac.

It cracks me up how much people on here say they loved mop.

People were raging all through the pre release and my god did people complain about the pvp. All day long and the forums were a mess. Every post about how there was no class identity and all the cc. Druids being broken ect.
    Now people look back and say it was the best lol.

It's 'dead' because it already happened, just like TBC experience will 'die' once Wrath comes out and everyone plays there as current. That doesn't mean it wasn't almost true to original
    1. Right now there are still Classic servers (SoM) with a lot of activity, and those are not at all true to the original.

2. Even the original Classic servers were not even close to true to the original.

1. Right now there are still Classic servers (SoM) with a lot of activity, and those are not at all true to the original.

2. Even the original Classic servers were not even close to true to the original.
    1. SoM has nothing to do in the discussion. We are talking about the difference between classic original game and classic revision of 2021, which is the one they try to mimic. SoM is a different experience offered by Blizz that already stated that it was going to be different, there's no point in complaining that that one is different. The entire point of that one was to be different while being based on classic. Blizzard didn't promise you a true classic experience with SoM. Of course they are not true to the original? They have a different name for a reason. What's the point of mentioning SoM here if everyone knows it's a different experience already?

2. Define 'not even close', then, please. From what I saw there were slight differences but not to say 'not even close', but if you can point out to where it's so vastly different then I'm all ears/eyes.

3. You seem to be uncomfortable with classic being a different experience based on a 100% experience buff (and other not disclosed yet things I guess) but have no issue pointing people to go play MoP in retail and say that it's the same experience. After level crunches and several experience, itemization and talent changes, you think it's the same game experience but a 100% experience buff makes it so vastly different for you? How come it's a valid sentiment for you to not like the change in classic but the rest have to 'just do X' in retail to play MoP and you insist that that is fine? Either both of neither, but you can't just pick for you and ditch the rest.

4. Can you please answer the question asked before? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mnemosia; 2022-04-12 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    yep it was huge mistake not letting people buy boosts there . i and many others would literaly toss $$$$ at them if we just could buy boosts.

i mean i bought booost with tbc just to level up to 63 and stop there because i got bored of leveling. i i could buy boost to 70 i would for sure play endgame in tbc.

luckily in wolk leveling is much nicers then in tbc. so will hit max level there with dungeon spam thx to lfd.
    Exactly, cant wait for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    It cracks me up how much people on here say they loved mop.

People were raging all through the pre release and my god did people complain about the pvp. All day long and the forums were a mess. Every post about how there was no class identity and all the cc. Druids being broken ect.
    Now people look back and say it was the best lol.
    The theme sucked balls, but Class design for a number of the classes I played then was Perfect. Brewmaster Monk was Fantastic all through MOP, Disc Priest was perfect, Prot Pally was great. Enhancement Shammy was awesome.