Thread: Elden Ring

Man, Mountaintop of the Giants is a difficulty spike and a half. The gargoyle was bad enough but the standard enemies in the first ruins I encountered kicked my ass and then fat fire guy just made fun of me.

Decided to go do Volcano Manor instead since I'm bad. Damn, what an atmospheric dungeon, I really like it. The place reeks of evil.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    After seeing the 9min one it was clear a new record would happen as he had a lot of issues with the teleporting in that one. Also how messed up must the game code be for all this to even be possible without third party applications.
    This isn't a random glitch you stumble into willy nilly. A specfic set of criteria has to happen and the player has to time it just right down to the frame.

That's not indicative of "messed up" code at all.

Anyone found the secret room in morgotts boss room behind the chest where you grab the fingerprint shield?

Damn creepy, felt like discovering a prisoner of war camp or something.

Not sure of the link between the frenzied flame and the traveling merchants like Kale. But there is one!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Anyone found the secret room in morgotts boss room behind the chest where you grab the fingerprint shield?

Not sure of the link between the frenzied flame and the traveling merchants like Kale. But there is one!
    Think the thing with Kale and traveling merchants was a cut mini-quest. Was hoping that got added along with the other missing stuff. Maybe in a later patch.

Yea, I hated that place, that playthrough I went for the frenzied flame ending so that I wouldn't need to go back down there ever again, wasn't for me. Atmospheric, sure, but the platforming. Grrr...

On NG+4, nearly done, but I am finding certain boss types are just annoying me now. First is dragons. Don't know if I have killed all of the dragon bosses, but I must have gotten most of them. I just roll my eyes now. This is a problem I have with a few types, being massive and in some cases highly mobile. Oh great, you are way over there now, I get to them and oh, now you are over there. Conceptually it makes sense, but in the game I find it grating and no longer fun. And the sheer size makes dodging some of their abilities difficult as I can't always tell what is coming, especially for "special" dragon encounters, due to their sheer size. Same goes for the big gargoyle dudes. The amount of times they just jump to some place I can't get to, or have trouble getting to, and I need to wait for them to come back down, or just generally find it tough to get into melee range to hit them because they jump all over the place. Ulcerated tree spirits kind of fall into this category too. Giant mobile enemy where half the time I can't see them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Man, Mountaintop of the Giants is a difficulty spike and a half. The gargoyle was bad enough but the standard enemies in the first ruins I encountered kicked my ass and then fat fire guy just made fun of me.

Decided to go do Volcano Manor instead since I'm bad. Damn, what an atmospheric dungeon, I really like it. The place reeks of evil.
    The Zamor ruins guys are solid, run past them. The big fat fire guys too, you can easily skip them, they aren't typical of the foes in that area, just really tough ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post

After figuring this out, I only did one attempt and got her lower than ever before, maybe halfway down in phase 2, and had to log off. I think I might beat her today!
    Best of luck. It is a great feeling when you finally down her.
    Last edited by tehealadin; 2022-04-13 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This isn't a random glitch you stumble into willy nilly. A specfic set of criteria has to happen and the player has to time it just right down to the frame.

Eh, while it's not mistakenly reproducible; it's definitely super strange that it happens/works.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Its not just the teleports but also the other weird shit happening. Im guessing they are half tapping into some left over debug code or like many game engines that just been updated a bit here and there for a decade+ when needed like Bethesda and final fantasy 14 they are held together by glue and ducttape behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Eh, while it's not mistakenly reproducible; it's definitely super strange that it happens/works.
    Many games have "strange" interactions without necessarily being faulty. That is the nature of software.

Its not just the teleports but also the other weird shit happening. Im guessing they are half tapping into some left over debug code or like many game engines that just been updated a bit here and there for a decade+ when needed like Bethesda and final fantasy 14 they are held together by glue and ducttape behind the scenes.
    It's a very precise framerate manipulation using specific graphics cards, resolution, and settings. It also varies by player as some speedrunners are not able to reproduce the glitch 100%. Distortion had many attempts when it didn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every engine has its weird hiccups due to their implementation of math. The most famous example is the Quake 3 engine, which is historically the greatest engine ever made. Bunnyhopping was a huge thing back then, you could abuse the game engine to move faster by moving in a specific angle using the mouse, jumping, and using key inputs to move forward, which is also tied to framerate. The game engine was written in a way to register inputs and process them into math like vectors, angles and deltas that translate to movement.

Elden Ring has exactly the same thing that causes this I imagine. From what I understand, for zipping you have to press block, then press forward at exactly the 138th frame or something, then press forward again at exactly the 14th frame after that. These guys trained with metronomes and shit just to get that right, because scripts aren't allowed of course.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-13 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Yea, I hated that place, that playthrough I went for the frenzied flame ending so that I wouldn't need to go back down there ever again, wasn't for me. Atmospheric, sure, but the platforming. Grrr...

On NG+4, nearly done, but I am finding certain boss types are just annoying me now. First is dragons. Don't know if I have killed all of the dragon bosses, but I must have gotten most of them. I just roll my eyes now. This is a problem I have with a few types, being massive and in some cases highly mobile. Oh great, you are way over there now, I get to them and oh, now you are over there. Conceptually it makes sense, but in the game I find it grating and no longer fun. And the sheer size makes dodging some of their abilities difficult as I can't always tell what is coming, especially for "special" dragon encounters, due to their sheer size. Same goes for the big gargoyle dudes. The amount of times they just jump to some place I can't get to, or have trouble getting to, and I need to wait for them to come back down, or just generally find it tough to get into melee range to hit them because they jump all over the place. Ulcerated tree spirits kind of fall into this category too. Giant mobile enemy where half the time I can't see them.

- - - Updated - - -

The Zamor ruins guys are solid, run past them. The big fat fire guys too, you can easily skip them, they aren't typical of the foes in that area, just really tough ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Best of luck. It is a great feeling when you finally down her.
    It took me a lot less long than you to hate those types enemies lol. Two Ulcerated Tree Spirits is more than enough for me and the dragon fights do lack a certain je-ne-sais-quoi. Certainly the worst thing about them is whole "fly somewhere then glitch out on some rocks" thing. Or because they don't seem designed to deal with Torrent's mobility so instead some of them create AoEs at their feet that last forever and a half. Count the Erdtree Avatars in the annoying boss front as well, there's just so many of them and one zone has them as normal enemies as if the boss version wasn't annoying enough. I really can't bring myself to truly praise the bosses in this game where for every good one there's a boring reskin and another that's just a pain in the ass to fight.

And I ended up beating those enemies, not running past, strangely the ones further up are just bats and demi-humans that I one or two shot. I don't mind of course, the game clearly uses those tough enemies as a warning, but still a bit strange. I'd have expected snow-capped mountains in such a game to have, I dunno, savages yetis or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    This described speedrun tech in a bunch of games. Weird glitch found, weird glitch used to break game and beat it super quick. Watch a speedrun marathon like ESA or GDQ weird stuff like this isn't unique to Elden Ring lol. Most of them are frame perfect or near frame perfect just like this one and incredibly hard to pull off and even for practiced players take multiple attempts like you can see in the WR video still.

This is the type of stuff QA testers would generally never find because they don't hire professional speedrunners to QA test their games, they just QA test for the general population. It happens in a lot more games then you would think.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-04-13 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This described speedrun tech in a bunch of games. Weird glitch found, weird glitch used to break game and beat it super quick. Watch a speedrun marathon like ESA or GDQ weird stuff like this isn't unique to Elden Ring lol.
    I remember watching a Doom Eternal one where binding the jump to mousewheel and then scrolling while you were stuck in the geometry would rocket you far above the level, allowing a linear game to be beaten in about 30 minutes or so. I've no idea how anyone finds out something like that is possible. Never underestimate speedrunners or how happily they'll abuse the most obscure and unlikely glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I remember watching a Doom Eternal one where binding the jump to mousewheel and then scrolling while you were stuck in the geometry would rocket you far above the level, allowing a linear game to be beaten in about 30 minutes or so. I've no idea how anyone finds out something like that is possible. Never underestimate speedrunners or how happily they'll abuse the most obscure and unlikely glitches.
    pass enough time into a single game and shit happens lol, even quicker with the internet now. Probably some player blocked and the timing just happened when they moved foward and did the zip, but didnt know how it happened. But told people he was blocking and moving foward and then people testing it over and over until it was replicated.

Hell i remeber before the internet finding game breaking bugs in games with friends and spreading them at school. That drag racing game on n64, forgot the name. I played that game a lot with some friend, eventually after so many hours all we did was customize troll cars. I decided to make a car with 4 different tire sizes lmao. When the race start for some reason my car would fly upward into the air directly into the skybox at max speed. Then we tested it and realized it only work for that one car i happened to pick. Why lol.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

And yes, he does.
    I rather enjoyed that.

Never played any fromsoftware games but this one got me really interested so have just bought it. Fingers crossed it doesn't break me! Really looking forward to playing it.

Woohoo, just beat Malenia! Oh YES! In the voice from Saw 1: Gameova!

Phase 2 is a race to see who runs out of health first. I used the great rune the greatly increased my HP and got my HP so I couldn't die to even the big attack at the start of phase 2.

Key was my flask, when powerstancing.

There is a flask piece that increases stagger or something, basically makes every hit from powerstance stagger her.

Also try to crowd her into the wall so she takes more damage before she runs away in phase 1.

I'll never know how many attempts, but I was making sure to get in minimum 4 attempts per day before my finger injury. I'mma say at least 40 attempts, more like 70 most likely.

Let Me Solo Her is a legend. The subreddit is exclusively a cult of Let Me Solo Her now.

I will not be soloing her(without at least my mimic or tiche), I took the win any way I could. She is definitely my favorite boss though, it was addicting to dance with her in phase 1.

I assume someone posted the Angry Joe ER review up here. If not, I heard it's a great watch. I haven't seen it yet, but want to check it out this weekend. It's very long, of course. Hyped to see that because I don't recall ever seeing a Fromsoft review from Joe. In case not already posted here it is:

Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-04-14 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

If people really struggle with Malenia, this is a good video for you.

Rivers of blood ash's of war makes her pretty trivial

Rivers of blood ash's of war makes her pretty trivial
    Watching my friend play, it makes everything trivial. I thought Moonveil's ash was fairly powerful but jeez that thing is on another level altogether. If he summons his Mimic or that Knight Oleg guy he basically activates the game's story mode. He used to struggle a lot running a STR build, then he switched to DEX/ARC and just destroys everything mindlessly now.

I got the Dark Moon Greatsword myself and liking it a lot. The sword beams do a ton of damage and stagger but the hitbox and range sadly seem somewhat inconsistent. It feels as if the projectile is horizontal but the actual hitbox isn't for some reason. Gotta test it a bit more.