Latest update is he was crossing a highway and got hit by a dump truck. That is rough.

Schefter doing that does not surprise me at all, if anything that is what I would expect him to do. Somehow he wasn't the biggest douche about it, Gil Brandt wins that award.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    Hope he learns from this. Crazy how social media turns people into inconsiderate sociopaths.
    Schefty will never learn. Just a few weeks ago he had to delete a tweet on the Watson non-indictments where he made it sound like 22 women were lying about sexual assault and Watson was "vindicated" with his day in court, all because he just wants to blow smoke up the ass of star players so he can keep his insider status with agents and high profile players.

15+ Year Old Account
    Found it

Dwayne Haskins, a standout at Ohio state before struggling to catch on with washington and Pittsburgh in the NFL, died this morning when he got hit by a car in south Florida, per his agent Cedric Saunders. Haskins would have turned 25 years old on May 3.
    I mean ok. Needing to mention him struggling with Washington May have been unnecessary but it’s also the only way you’re going to remember him if the name doesn’t remind you. I thought he just went to Pittsburgh so that didn’t really fit. Otherwise people are in their feelings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    What kills me about it is that you'd think that, after hearing news of someone dying, that you'd be a bit more tactful if you were going to briefly eulogize him.

Emphasize his great career OSU. Mention that he was "learning" or "growing". Shit, just mention that he's and NFL caliber QB and nothing else (where's the lie there?)

But nah, just got to mention his struggles don't you?

It's probably a case where he wanted to break the news and didn't stop and think until it was too late. He corrected the tweet. So at least it seems like he know he fucked up.

Hope he learns from this. Crazy how social media turns people into inconsiderate sociopaths.
    Yeah I would bet it was his first draft by saying stuff like “got hit” instead of “was struck” but that’s just flowery editing done to seem like you care more. I would say news is supposed to be just the facts but mentioning Washington seems slanted.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2022-04-10 at 12:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I was surprised at the shit takes regarding an untimely death, sports journalists are the worst.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I wish I was surprised at the shit takes regarding an untimely death, sports journalists are the worst.
    I think of most sports journalists as being on the same level as tabloids.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Two crazy stories coming out today (well, they came out last week, but are gaining major steam today):

1) It seems Dan Snyder did indeed cook the books according to recent documents released today. Pretty damning stuff.
    https://twitter.com/PeteHaileyNBCS/s...16518756753422

2) Tom Brady may have FAKE RETIRED to try and backdoor his way into Sean Payton and him joining the Dolphins. He was going to buy a minority stake in the Dolphins, then come back as their QB. Could be seen as a contract violation.....except now he's back with the Bucs so nothing really happened. Once Flores filed his discrimination lawsuit, it wasn't going to fly, and they pulled back. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    2) Tom Brady may have FAKE RETIRED to try and backdoor his way into Sean Payton and him joining the Dolphins. He was going to buy a minority stake in the Dolphins, then come back as their QB. Could be seen as a contract violation.....except now he's back with the Bucs so nothing really happened. Once Flores filed his discrimination lawsuit, it wasn't going to fly, and they pulled back. Crazy stuff.
    I don't buy this at all. I can't imagine the NFL would allow a player to own a stake of a team. That would be money gained from the team outside the cap which cannot be allowed. Along with a whole slew of problems surrounding the player likely not being able to be traded. This story literally makes no sense.

So the Patriots paying Tom's fitness company TB12 for a decade of "consulting" wasn't skirting the cap by outside revenue? Brady has been doing that his whole career practically. It's why he allows the hometown discounts (in addition to Gisele making a boat ton herself).

Also, the reporting on it seems fairly solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I don't buy this at all. I can't imagine the NFL would allow a player to own a stake of a team. That would be money gained from the team outside the cap which cannot be allowed. Along with a whole slew of problems surrounding the player likely not being able to be traded. This story literally makes no sense.
    There was a certain team in the past that offered a QB partial ownership when trying to get around the cap. No idea how the NFL would have handled it since he turned it down.

Pretty sure I also saw that Stephen Ross tried to set up a meeting between Flores and Brady when he was leaving the Pats, so it doesn't seem too unbelievable.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dolphins thing sounds like some hair-brained scheme that never came close to getting off the ground.
    /s

This makes no sense if you think about it more, and is the result of a conspiracy theorist Dolphins reporter's story going viral. Tom Brady wants to win, it is seemingly the only thing he cares about. Why on earth would he ever want a part of the Dolphins with one of the worst offensive lines in the league? There are a lot of things Brady has done in his career, overcoming truly abysmal line play is not one of them, and he is fully aware that is not something in his skill set.

Also, let's not forget that for the majority of last season and into the start of this offseason (after Tom Brady had already retired) the Dolphins were still pursuing a trade for Deshaun Watson. I think the dolphins may have leaked a fake story trying to look less incompetent for firing Flores. "But guys we were gonna get Payton and Brady, so what if the guy we fired turned us around from being a complete dumpster fire"

The reporting is by a Patriots reporter, and you can listen to an interview with him here: https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/...57660739186693

Sounds pretty solid to me, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reporting is by a Patriots reporter, and you can listen to an interview with him here: https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/...57660739186693

Sounds pretty solid to me, imo.
    FYI: that "reporter" is someone who has the national coverage job for the Boston Globe, but has a history in South Florida, coming from there originally. I won't give him much credit, but he does have ties to football people in that area. He is also an unabashed limelight seeking hack who's nickname in Boston is literally "Trollin' Volin" cause he embelishes everything and does and says absurd things for attention on his articles and those he works with.

Him making a big story out of what could potentially just be a molehill is par for the course for him.

To give one example: last off season, Volin made a big deal about the fact that Matt Patricia was being groomed to be the successor to Belichick. He said literally that Patricia had been lead negotiator on several contracts and that he alone was the one that had signed Cam Newton.

That later turned out to be hog wash. Patricia had been used as a glorified clerk, and his name and signature had ended up on several contracts, but any and all discussions about who was actually going to be signed were done by other people.

Volin had turned seeing his signature on a few contracts into this whole spiel that Patricia was going to be the heir apparent.

And that's basically the gist of things with Volin. I would never trust him to know anything actually important cause if anyone ever told him anything like that he;d run with it as fast as his fat little legs would carry him and make a big story out of it. And people know this, so he never gets told anything important and just gets used to leak stuff by 3rd parties (and never the Patriots far as I can tell).

If I had to guess Volin is trying to curry favor in South Florida so he can return back home in the future with some kind of journalist job at one of the main papers. He's never seemed to really take to New England and Boston. At least that's what he used to be like. I stopped following him some time ago and only get the occasional stray story concerning him through others.

3 year, $120 mill extension for Derek Carr. Probably going to be nice for him not to see rumors that the Raiders want to get rid of him for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m more interested in the Washington news than Tom Shady. The NFL owners need to kick Snyder to the curb.
    If he actually cost the other owners money, he will be gone. They don't care about anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    3 year, $120 mill extension for Derek Carr. Probably going to be nice for him not to see rumors that the Raiders want to get rid of him for once.
    You're kidding right? This will only fuel trade talks more among the fanbase.

After years of lacking a franchise QB, when we finally have one, you think people would actually appreciate him. But nope, he cried when he broke his leg and they think that makes him weak.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    You're kidding right? This will only fuel trade talks more among the fanbase.

After years of lacking a franchise QB, when we finally have one, you think people would actually appreciate him. But nope, he cried when he broke his leg and they think that makes him weak.
    The deal includes a no-trade clause.

Fans will still say dumb stuff, but should temper rumors themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    The deal includes a no-trade clause.
    ... we've some real fucking idiots in the fanbase ok? Some of them legit still live in the Al Davis mindset of drafting and "win now" strategy.

They won't be bogged down by such minutae.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... we've some real fucking idiots in the fanbase ok? Some of them legit still live in the Al Davis mindset of drafting and "win now" strategy.

Times have changed, it's all about bad haircuts and leaked emails now.

But maybe their new coach will be respectable, who was it again? Oh right.
    /s

Could be worse, at least the Raiders aren't most likely going to be owned by Walmart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Could be worse, at least the Raiders aren't most likely going to be owned by Walmart.
    They saw how easy their Cousin Kroenke got money from the NFL adn that they even covered his legal expenses when he moved his new toy to LA, so they were like COOL, MORE MONEY.

Sorry it had to be your team though.

If this becomes a trend, for teams to be seen as money printing toys instead of sports business where the emphasis is still on SPORTS, then the NFL is in a HEAP of trouble.

And thinking about this, have ANY of the new owners actually succeeded? Kroenke did, but he'd been around football business for quite a while with the Rams before he actually outright bought the team.

Okay, I looked up the list on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...anchise_owners

If you start in 1999 and look through till now, you can argue that the only owners who have not made a mess of their organization at any point are Steve Bisciotti with the Ravens and the Pegulas with the Bills. Everyone else on that list ranks from "made a Superbowl but have had some real puzzling decisions" with Arthur Blank (Falcons) all the way down to "They are constantly actively sabotaging their own team" with Stephen Ross (Dolphins) and the Johnsons (Jets) and the McNairs (Texans).

It's clear why the NFL keeps making money and why some teams keep losing. Apparently their sense for business far outweighs their sense for what a good football team looks like.

Owners would never agree to it, but Owner revenue payout should be tied in part to performance on the field. That would teach some of these bozos.