Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    It isn't less humiliating, but it is less catastrophic than the alternative. The Moskva was supposed to be immune to anything except top of the line anti-ship missiles fired in waves. It was a dedicated anti-aircraft platform. Guided missile cruisers are not supposed to be easy targets for anti-ship missiles. It Russia admits the flagship of its Black Sea fleet got dunked on by two mediocre anti-ship missiles, it is announcing open season on all its warships.

So yeah, it is humiliating to be forced to claim your ship sunk itself. The alternative is admitting your entire navy is a joke with no defenses, because there just isn't a Russian warship with better air defenses.
    Unfortunately for them, only army willing to believe that drivel is the Russian one, and they would pŕopably not shoot on their own ships anyway.

Propably.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Not sure why Russia thinks "Our sailors are so incompetent they let a fire spread out of control and blow up the ship" is less humiliating than admitting that it got hit by cruise missiles.
    I mean it’s marginal better to claim ineptitude then to say the enemy has weapons cable of sinking their ships, it’s not like the USA or other nation’s hadn’t had accidents due to crew error that wrecked ships, wasn’t it just in 2017 a major USA ship got crippled due stupidity.

On a side note , just how much did this ship cost this war is costing Russia a preety penny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...st-2022-04-14/

"On April 14, 2022, using two combat helicopters equipped with heavy offensive weapons, military personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine illegally entered the airspace of the Russian Federation"

RuSSians truly are the laughing stock of the world.
    so, declared war, waged war, whines when war comes home
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    I mean it’s marginal better to claim ineptitude then to say the enemy has weapons cable of sinking their ships, it’s not like the USA or other nation’s hadn’t had accidents due to crew error that wrecked ships, wasn’t it just in 2017 a major USA ship got crippled due stupidity.

On a side note , just how much did this ship cost this war is costing Russia a preety penny.
    It cost Russia nothing, the Soviets built it. And that is the real problem, these ships are like WH40K tech, they are ancient relics of a previous age. The forgeworlds that made them have long since fallen to the Xenos, and only the muttered chants of the techpriests can coax the tired machine spirits to barely function.

It is a slight exaggeration, but not much. The Moskva was made in Mykolaiv, Ukraine. So were all her sister ships, and so was the Kiev class, the previous Moskva class, and the tragically smokey carrier, the Kuznetsov (And so were the current Lionang and Vikram, in the Chinese and Indian navies). One of the few things worse then the condition of Russian ships is the condition of Russian shipyards. They have a single drydock for the Kirovs in St. Petersburg, which is where all four were built, one at a time. The Admiral Nakimov went into that drydock for refit in 1997, and didn't come back out until 2020, and that drydock isn't ready for another ship still.

You remember that whole deal when the floating drydock sank under the Kuznetsov? That happened because Ukraine owns the drydock it was built in, they just cobbled together some mad max style floating drydock to make up for it, and it sank.

TLDR: It doesn't matter how much the Soviets paid for Moskva, what matters is that the Soviets actually owned shipyards that could build these warships. Russia doesn't. Russia cannot build cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    would the Russian Army put up a good fight against the US Marines at this point
    I think they'd get their ass handed to them on a plate at this point. Based on their performance in this war I'd rate the Spetsnaz bellow the US Marines in levels of training, equipment and combat efficiency. And those are the supposed elites of the Russian army.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I think the fact they are 50 days into a 3 day war with no end in sight and lots of funerals may have clued them in already.
    There are reports that the Russian are just leaving their dead, and burning some
    I wouldn't be shocked if there arent funerals, just families wondering why the letters stopped (or now the letters dont sound quite right)
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    There are reports that the Russian are just leaving their dead, and burning some
    I wouldn't be shocked if there arent funerals, just families wondering why the letters stopped (or now the letters dont sound quite right)
    They're not just leaving their dead. Heard a phone-call from a russian soldier to his friend or brother and he said that they were out patrolling in a village when they started getting hit by mortars. So they ran back to their APC, inside while waiting for two more soldiers who were further away the officer just ordered them to drive off as soon as he got in. and that was that, he never saw those guys again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    They're not just leaving their dead. Heard a phone-call from a russian soldier to his friend or brother and he said that they were out patrolling in a village when they started getting hit by mortars. So they ran back to their APC, inside while waiting for two more soldiers who were further away the officer just ordered them to drive off as soon as he got in. and that was that, he never saw those guys again.
    Yeah they also drop their dead to fit more loot on cars.

There are some really nice gore vids of dead ruskies eaten by dogs, and one when you can see their few days old corpses with eyes eaten out by the birds. The real bio-chemical weapon are just decomposing ruskies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...st-2022-04-14/

"On April 14, 2022, using two combat helicopters equipped with heavy offensive weapons, military personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine illegally entered the airspace of the Russian Federation"

RuSSians truly are the laughing stock of the world.
    So apparently Russia is allowed to cross into Ukraine and bomb Ukrainian civilians indiscriminately but Ukraine is not allowed to strike at military targets inside Russia.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what, we haven't checked in on how the Russian st0nks are doing lately. Keep in mind, these are the prices in the Moscow Exchange, not the pennies-on-the-dollar prices in exchanges not located in price-fixing Russia, so they're probably doing pretty...

Oh... oh, wait, those are... those are going downward. That's not good. But... Putin is dumping government funds into those stocks, buying back a lot in an effort to pump up the value. Well, maybe that was just a blip and the total for the last week is...

Erm. That's... also not good. It just seems to be going further downhill. Maybe... maybe Putin already pushed those stocks so high right after the markets reopened that this is just them settling down afterward? If that's the case, then we can just take a look at the 6 month chart and see...

Huh. So... no. MoEx is just taking a dump, I guess.

Got it.

And these four st0nks (not including the MoEx index) are by far the st0nks with the largest market cap in the Moscow Exchange.

Whomp whomp.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Russia just threatened to nuke the US if they don't stop their weapon shipments to Ukraine.

Russia just sent a formal diplomatic note to the United States warning that U.S. and NATO shipments of the “most sensitive” weapons systems to Ukraine were “adding fuel” to the conflict there and could bring “unpredictable consequences.”

The State Department declined to comment on the contents of the two-page diplomatic note or any U.S. response.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia just threatened to nuke the US if they don't stop their weapon shipments to Ukraine.

Russia just sent a formal diplomatic note to the United States warning that U.S. and NATO shipments of the “most sensitive” weapons systems to Ukraine were “adding fuel” to the conflict there and could bring “unpredictable consequences.”

The State Department declined to comment on the contents of the two-page diplomatic note or any U.S. response.
    We'll sink ANOTHER of our own ships! We'll abandon more troops! We're a numerically superior army with the most advanced military assets in the world (Source:RT) and we'll keep retreating! You never know what we'll do next!

Unpredictable doesn't mean nukes by default. Stop. It was amusing at first, then it got annoying, now. Now it's just pitiful. We're embarrassed on your behalf.
    Mom_I_Posted_It_Again.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Russia makes a vague, non-specific threat and you jump straight to nukes. Your warped, exaggerated conception of everything as the most extreme version of itself is inconsistent with reality. Please seek help, because I can only imagine how that applies to your personal life.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2022-04-15 at 12:51 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if any nuke lunch by Russia blows up in their own backyard or ends up hitting their own allies.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they just decided to carpet bomb kiev with those foab they have.
    Last edited by Rustedsaint; 2022-04-15 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Russia just threatened to play Parcheesi with the US if they don't stop their weapon shipments to Ukraine.

What? That's just as valid an interpretation of "unpredictable consequences" as the use of nukes.

If you can just declare as fact your naive interpretation, then so the hell can everyone else.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Russia just threatened to play Parcheesi with the US if they don't stop their weapon shipments to Ukraine.

What? That's just as valid an interpretation of "unpredictable consequences" as the use of nukes.

If you can just declare as fact your naive interpretation, then so the hell can everyone else.
    Honestly the whole thing strikes me as Russia in a panic after being humiliated by losing the flagship of their Black Sea fleet to Ukraine and is desperate to stop the flow of modern weapons to the Ukrainian army that they are currently using to hold off the aging Soviet relics of the Russian army.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the whole thing strikes me as Russia in a panic after being humiliated by losing the flagship of their Black Sea fleet to Ukraine and is desperate to stop the flow of modern weapons to the Ukrainian army that they are currently using to hold off the aging Soviet relics of the Russian army.
    Hmmm. Someone should really tell them, then, that the easiest way to prevent those modern weapons from being used on their military is to GET THE FUCK OUT OF UKRAINE.

It's sad, but at this point we know that a quick retreat after the first few days of the invasion would have been far less embarrassing (and certainly less costly) for Putin and the Russian military than the prolonged shitshow that's ensued since.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Biggest impact of losing this ship is really that the western half of the black sea suddenly became a lot more dangerous for the remnants of the Russian black sea fleet.

An amphibious assault against Odessa became a much sketchier proposition for Russia pretty much overnight.

what are "unpredictable consequences" if not at the least WMDs? Russia cannot threaten the US in any capacity with anything else. Them blowing up the supply convoys like they've threatened isn't much of a threat/will do jack shit.

What are "unpredictable consequences" here? It has to be "unpredictable" like in the sense of it being some wild act no sane human could expect to happen.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

what are "unpredictable consequences"
    Endless, unsolicited dick-pic spam straight to our phones.