10+ Year Old Account
    Braces yourselves, the midterms primaries are going to be a bloodbath of spite and rancor!

Basically some candidates are the political wing of the Podcasting Class. Podcasters are going all in their candidates. Podcasters and the dumbest of their fanbois (not all fanbois) will declare anyone running against their candidate a; really a Republican, corporate shill, establishment shill, the.most.corrupt.person.ever. yelps of BeYTraYAL!

Case; the Ohio 11 district.
    Shontel Brown won this seat last year in a special election to replace HUD secretary MArcia Fudge.
    Shontel Brown votes 100% with fellow democrats.
    Shontel Brown wins an endorsement from the Progressive Caucus

Podcasters lose their shit, right on queue...

Kids, podcasts are not a political movement!
    They're just just a new version of AM radio that turn your ResentmentTM and Grievances into a commodity. Which they trade in for Malibu mansions.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    a genocidal war to wipe out Ukrainian people yes
    It isn’t… there are genocides happening. This isn’t one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It's an unprovoked invasion where the agressor is deliberately targeting women children and elderly in mass. It's a genocide you bafoon
    That doesn’t make it a genocide…

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

Just because worse genocide is happening elsewhere doesn't mean what's happening in Ukraine isn't genocide.

- - - Updated - - -

Yer totally agree.... those mass graves they keep finding are just for show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck are you playing defense for ethnic genocide?

They're intentionally killing civilians.

They're destroying cultural monuments.

They're trying to destroy the very sense of "being Ukrainian".

All of that is "genocide".

https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml

Russian rhetoric also underscores that the elimination of Ukrainian identity is their goal, which makes it crystal clear that their intent is genocide.

It'd be one thing if you just weren't sure it had quite reached that level, but that's not what you're doing. You're in full-on pro-Russian defense of genocide mode. WTF?

- - - Updated - - -

Big fucking yikes. You should have stayed quiet.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

If that's the hill you want to see all of the Ukrainian people die on, that's up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The US will restart onshore oil and gas lease sales for public lands, but companies will pay a higher royalty rate, the Interior Department says

These idiots! Placating to the moron crowd harassing them, who in turn will NEVER vote for Biden anyways. In fact they will ignore this and still lie about how Biden is not "drilling" more and if only we opened our land and the oil fairy would come down and make it cheap.

Let me see.

Joe Biden: The oil industry has "9,000 permits to drill now. They could be drilling right now, yesterday, last week, last year."

To my best, Biden made this state on March 13th, barely a month ago. It's for the most part very, very true. Again, the morons don't get this, but do you think oil companies are going to produce oil just to make it cheap? So yes, they are sitting on these reserves, public and federal lands.

So in the end we will sell off more land for future drilling, which will damage, kill the eco system, likely. Then this will just add and prolong the climate crisis, while the next time down the road when oil prices spike, the idiots who again will NEVER vote for you, bitch that we need to drill more.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    The US will restart onshore oil and gas lease sales for public lands, but companies will pay a higher royalty rate, the Interior Department says

These idiots! Placating to the moron crowd harassing them, who in turn will NEVER vote for Biden anyways. In fact they will ignore this and still lie about how Biden is not "drilling" more and if only we opened our land and the oil fairy would come down and make it cheap.

Let me see.

Joe Biden: The oil industry has "9,000 permits to drill now. They could be drilling right now, yesterday, last week, last year."

To my best, Biden made this state on March 13th, barely a month ago. It's for the most part very, very true. Again, the morons don't get this, but do you think oil companies are going to produce oil just to make it cheap? So yes, they are sitting on these reserves, public and federal lands.

So in the end we will sell off more land for future drilling, which will damage, kill the eco system, likely. Then this will just add and prolong the climate crisis, while the next time down the road when oil prices spike, the idiots who again will NEVER vote for you, bitch that we need to drill more.
    I don't think he is placating anyone Biden has given away more drilling rights than Trump, he has always been Mr Big oil from the start only giving climate change lip service. The only difference between him and Trump is that he won't turn over native American or national landmarks to big oil yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why the fuck are you playing defense for ethnic genocide?

They're intentionally killing civilians.

They're destroying cultural monuments.

They're trying to destroy the very sense of "being Ukrainian".

All of that is "genocide".

https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml

Russian rhetoric also underscores that the elimination of Ukrainian identity is their goal, which makes it crystal clear that their intent is genocide.

It'd be one thing if you just weren't sure it had quite reached that level, but that's not what you're doing. You're in full-on pro-Russian defense of genocide mode. WTF?
    I think people are hung up on the genocide thing because it's not in a format they've seen before in war. It's not like the goal is eliminating Ukrainians as a whole (ie Germany), or pushing them out of territory (ie Serbia). The goal is what I'd call 'killing off the idea of Ukrainian as a distinct national/ethnic concept', similar to how the US/Canada behaved towards indigenous people, or more recently, how the Chinese government's behaved towards Uyghurs. It's definitely genocide, but it's a new kind of genocide to some people when looking at it as an outcome of a war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I think people are hung up on the genocide thing because it's not in a format they've seen before in war. It's not like the goal is eliminating Ukrainians as a whole (ie Germany), or pushing them out of territory (ie Serbia). The goal is what I'd call 'killing off the idea of Ukrainian as a distinct national/ethnic concept', similar to how the US/Canada behaved towards indigenous people, or more recently, how the Chinese government's behaved towards Uyghurs. It's definitely genocide, but it's a new kind of genocide to some people when looking at it as an outcome of a war.
    And I mean, as a Canadian, we're well fuckin' aware that what happened in the Residential Schools, as well as other circumstances, was absolutely a genocide. It's always been genocide. Killing the idea of a people, the identity it represents, that's just as much "genocide" as a mass-murder campaign would be.

And this isn't a particularly new concept. This kind of equivocation is the same kind of bullshit used to deny the Armenian Genocide, for example. So no; I simply don't accept that the idea of cultural genocide is "too new"; we've been talking about this shit longer than most of us posting here have been alive, right back to the WWII era. It's just genocide-denialism, providing cover for human rights atrocities and abuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ongoing in: Dems Suck at Messaging, mostly works if you ignore who runs the biggest messaging platforms.

Mike Lee wasn't mentioned a single time on CNN's State of the Union, Fox News Sunday, NBC's Meet the Press, ABC's This Week, or CBS's Face the Nation. Not one mention of new revelations about a senator scheming w/the Trump admin to end democracy on any of the major Sunday shows.

Since Jan. 6 Todd has rarely if ever booked a Democrat to get their side of things.

The best CNN+ show is a toss-up between Kasie Hunt’s “What Republicans Told Me In The Hallway” and Chris Wallace’s “What Republicans Told Kasie Hunt In The Hallway”

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Ongoing in: Dems Suck at Messaging, mostly works if you ignore who runs the biggest messaging platforms.

Mike Lee wasn't mentioned a single time on CNN's State of the Union, Fox News Sunday, NBC's Meet the Press, ABC's This Week, or CBS's Face the Nation. Not one mention of new revelations about a senator scheming w/the Trump admin to end democracy on any of the major Sunday shows.

Since Jan. 6 Todd has rarely if ever booked a Democrat to get their side of things.

The best CNN+ show is a toss-up between Kasie Hunt’s “What Republicans Told Me In The Hallway” and Chris Wallace’s “What Republicans Told Kasie Hunt In The Hallway”
    I mean these aren't really mutually exclusive. The Dems do suck at messaging and the media is so obsessed with avoiding being called partisan that it let's Republicans control the entire native.

I really hate multiple threads, I know this will show up in Trump thread and people will ask why I posted here.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis escalates his feud with Disney, challenging lawmakers to eliminate the special status that allows the company to operate as an independent government around its Orlando-area parks

While this may be ALL talk, the lovely part to me is they are all doing this cause of their homophobia.

First let's talk about Disney. In a way there is no doubt that Disney is trying to straddle the line between that corporate LGBQT friendly and a greedy, shitty corporation giving money to a party that is doing this out of pure hate (my political commentary).

Now Florida and the GOP, you know the "business friendly" and non cancel culture party is using a pretty big sledgehammer in their threat. Just a bit off topic but Georgia threatened Delta for a tax break when god forbid Delta spoke about voting restrictions. Again does Delta give a shit, no.

I guess more reaching is DeSantis is taking a flame thrower to a lot bleep and this guy is one of the leading President candidate in 20204. His open threat to a huge company like Disney over this will be interesting if it plays out. The obvious is this to cater to the bigots in our country.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I really hate multiple threads, I know this will show up in Trump thread and people will ask why I posted here.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis escalates his feud with Disney, challenging lawmakers to eliminate the special status that allows the company to operate as an independent government around its Orlando-area parks

While this may be ALL talk, the lovely part to me is they are all doing this cause of their homophobia.

First let's talk about Disney. In a way there is no doubt that Disney is trying to straddle the line between that corporate LGBQT friendly and a greedy, shitty corporation giving money to a party that is doing this out of pure hate (my political commentary).

Now Florida and the GOP, you know the "business friendly" and non cancel culture party is using a pretty big sledgehammer in their threat. Just a bit off topic but Georgia threatened Delta for a tax break when god forbid Delta spoke about voting restrictions. Again does Delta give a shit, no.

I guess more reaching is DeSantis is taking a flame thrower to a lot bleep and this guy is one of the leading President candidate in 20204. His open threat to a huge company like Disney over this will be interesting if it plays out. The obvious is this to cater to the bigots in our country.
    Between this and the Air Force talking about moving people and operations from the states that are attacking trans and gay kids, things are getting interesting. Would love to see more companies talking about shuttering operations in these places. Make it where even if the GOP was willing to lie, cheat, and steal to stuff the courts, not even they can stop it when the companies see the writing on the walls and sees siding against the public will of the people as being both bad for business as well as military readiness.

Not that these politicians will care too much, if they can keep power, then they can just put their states on even more welfare while blaming the states that pay the bills for it like they already do.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bi...ed-11650391220

The Department of Education announced Tuesday a new review of its student debt portfolio, which it says will correct for past mistakes that denied 3.6 million borrowers credit toward student loan forgiveness and will lead to immediate cancellation of debt for roughly 40,000 borrowers.

“Student loans were never meant to be a life sentence, but it’s certainly felt that way for borrowers locked out of debt relief they’re eligible for,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona in a statement. “Today the Department of Education will begin to remedy years of administrative failures that effectively denied the promise of loan forgiveness to certain borrowers enrolled in [income-driven repayment] plans.”
    It's not outright cancellation, but at least there's movement on student loans from the Biden administration. Still hemming and hawing about Education Department authority to outright cancel the debt, but there's nothing stopping Democrats and Republicans in Congress from doing so legislatively, if Republicans have any interest in bipartisanship.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.metrotimes.com/news/mich...tners-29840297

Republican state Senator Theis, of Michigan, apparently has gone full Q-anon and is now accusing Democrats, by name, of being pedophiles and "child groomers", including in fundraising emails.

Why am I posting this here?

Because honestly, while Senator McMarrow's speech was wonderful, it's also completely pointless and doesn't matter. Democrats need to start going after Republicans on this issue, hard. Play with them on their home field, but play with the advantage of having dozens of Republican officials and operatives accused of, convicted of, or who plead guilty to actually being pedophiles and/or child predators.

Tie the whole Republican party to these people. Force every single Republican to answer questions about why they allow this in their party and what they're doing to deal with their own pedophiles. Accuse members who are silent of defending these pedophiles by name, make sure the Republican pedophiles are all common, household names.

Fuck playing nice. Republicans are playing dirty, so get dirty in response. Is there distaste for this from the DNC and elected officials proper? Fine, no big deal. We have all those dark money PACS and Super PACS that can do the dirty work for Democrats.

I'm still tired of the Democrats sucking so much at politics and messaging, and their unwillingness to fight fire with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Between this and the Air Force talking about moving people and operations from the states that are attacking trans and gay kids, things are getting interesting. Would love to see more companies talking about shuttering operations in these places. Make it where even if the GOP was willing to lie, cheat, and steal to stuff the courts, not even they can stop it when the companies see the writing on the walls and sees siding against the public will of the people as being both bad for business as well as military readiness.

Not that these politicians will care too much, if they can keep power, then they can just put their states on even more welfare while blaming the states that pay the bills for it like they already do.
    I see the reverse. When companies like Disney are pressured to take a company official stance on major legislation, they are used to think it's all upside (activists as appeased) and no downside (Republicans were typically pro-business anti-interference). That's why the Disney CEO decided to adopt a position on political legislation. Republicans notice a company like Disney throwing major weight on legislation impacting education and culture war topics, and remind them that certain pro-business carveouts for them was based on them operating as a profit-making business, not as a organization pushing politico-cultural change. Secondly, Republicans saw that activists that couldn't win votes at the ballot box succeeded in the public relations sphere. That one is an important understanding moving forward into politics in the 2020s.

The message is simple. If you're a business lobbying for pro-business laws and special exemptions, then you'll be treated well. If you're inclined to join the culture wars and campaign against majority-supported legislation, you'll be viewed as a hostile political actor and treated in that sphere (like someone opposing the interests of political constituencies). I'm not enthralled by either corporate-welfare style laws, nor CEOs taking sides in a culture war expecting no backlash. It wasn't Republicans demanding Disney support or oppose HB 1557, it was Democratic-aligned activists and media allies. Now, they'll probably think twice and look to possible consequences to their bottom line.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I see the reverse. When companies like Disney are pressured to take a company official stance on major legislation, they are used to think it's all upside (activists as appeased) and no downside (Republicans were typically pro-business anti-interference). That's why the Disney CEO decided to adopt a position on political legislation. Republicans notice a company like Disney throwing major weight on legislation impacting education and culture war topics, and remind them that certain pro-business carveouts for them was based on them operating as a profit-making business, not as a organization pushing politico-cultural change. Secondly, Republicans saw that activists that couldn't win votes at the ballot box succeeded in the public relations sphere. That one is an important understanding moving forward into politics in the 2020s.

The message is simple. If you're a business lobbying for pro-business laws and special exemptions, then you'll be treated well. If you're inclined to join the culture wars and campaign against majority-supported legislation, you'll be viewed as a hostile political actor and treated in that sphere (like someone opposing the interests of political constituencies). I'm not enthralled by either corporate-welfare style laws, nor CEOs taking sides in a culture war expecting no backlash. It wasn't Republicans demanding Disney support or oppose HB 1557, it was Democratic-aligned activists and media allies. Now, they'll probably think twice and look to possible consequences to their bottom line.
    Man, it must be wild to see the world through this kind of lens.

culture war topics
    This is the point. That you don't seem to realize that your party is more interested in a culture war than they are in helping their citizens speaks volumes about how far right the overton window has been pushed.

The message is simple. If you're a business lobbying for pro-business laws and special exemptions, then you'll be treated well. If you're inclined to join the culture wars and campaign against majority-supported legislation, you'll be viewed as a hostile political actor and treated in that sphere (like someone opposing the interests of political constituencies).
    Yes, you're quite correct in identifying the problem: companies must conform to the Republican party line, or Republicans will maliciously wield the power of the state against them, because what the Republicans want is more important than those companies' First Amendment rights.

certain pro-business carveouts for them was based on them operating as a profit-making business, not as a organization pushing politico-cultural change.
    Bullshit. Pro-business carveouts for them were based on them bringing business and tourism revenue to the state, and nothing more. To give some data on just how much revenue they bring, according to a 2011 report Disneyworld generated $18.2 billion in revenue for Florida. That's approximately 2.5% of their GDP coming from one company. In 2009, 1 in 50 Floridians had a job either directly or indirectly tied to Disney. In 2014 alone, Disney accounted for 32 million hotel room nights, worth over $200 million in hotel taxes. They are the largest taxpaying entity in the state, and Florida needs them a hell of a lot more than they need Florida.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2022-04-20 at 01:23 AM.