Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking to upgrade a few parts

Current (Relevant parts) Build

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B-450 F
    CPU: 2600x (Stock speeds, Wraith cooler)
    Ram: DDR4 16gb, 3200mhz (Can't remember the timings)
    GPU: 5700 XT
    Monitor(s): 4k, Ultrawide - 1440p - 115 hz, Pen display (1080p)
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold (1000w, 2013)
    Country: US (I have a Microcenter nearby, so that helps here!

Pretty simple, really. I game, do 3D work and use Photoshop / After-effects / Z-brush / Blender for the main productivity. Obviously Photoshop and Z-brush run perfectly, After effects can struggle but being stuck on CS6 is part of that reason, something I don't mind too much. I'm wanting to upgrade my system to handle better VR (Index later on), a larger Pen Display (Again, later on) and a new main monitor that I'll get first (Megawide [G9 monitor])

Considering These Parts

CPU: 5800x / 5800x3D (If I can get my hand on it) - Otherwise, considering an intel CPU (Which would require a new MB, but I've seen the options, not many and they're all expensive)

• CPU cooler: Anything decent, I don't plan on overclocking (And obviously can't if I go / can get the 3D chip)
    GPU: 3080 ti / 3080 - The raytracing helps too much with Blender rendering and extra niceties compared to the 6900xt - including better performance in older titles, sadly
    Monitor: G9 Megawide 240hz non-oled (1440p 32:9)
    PSU: Anything that can handle the 3080 / ti - as I don't trust my 9 year old PSU to handle the spikes the GPU can put out

Budget is - somewhat flexible. $2,500 was the desired price point (In the now), but I can go higher if need be. I'm wanting to upgrade and future proof myself for at least another 5 years, outside of maybe obtaining better / larger RAM. Whatever GPU I get will be paid off over time, so it opens up a bit more of the budget to other parts in the now. Financially fine, obviously - just helps. I am not concerned (Nor expecting) anything close to 240 FPS on modern titles, 90-120 FPS is where I sit comfortably at, so the extra FPS would be more useful on e-sports titles like OW, CS:GO, etc. and older titles, too.

Let me know if there is a better route or options for what I'm going for - I've thought it through, but I'd like to double check or get some advice if I'm going about this the wrong way.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2022-04-16 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why a Intel systhem? Get the AMD 5800x3d, and you can save a lot of money.

I only wished we could upgrade Intel systhems like we can with AMD's.

If gaming is your priority then 5800x3d is the cheapest and best CPU upgrade you can get for your system but you won't see any benefit in Blender going for a 5800x3d over a 5800x. If you wanted to save some money then 5700x is cheaper than the 5800x and would be quite a bit more powerful than your 2600x however if you're looking for a decent balance between gaming and productivity the 5900x is a good bet at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If gaming is your priority then 5800x3d is the cheapest and best CPU upgrade you can get for your system but you won't see any benefit in Blender going for a 5800x3d over a 5800x. If you wanted to save some money then 5700x is cheaper than the 5800x and would be quite a bit more powerful than your 2600x however if you're looking for a decent balance between gaming and productivity the 5900x is a good bet at the moment.
    Gaming would be the priority but it isn’t the only thing I do. All things considered 5800/x3d or 5900x would be a substantial upgrade from what I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Gaming would be the priority but it isn’t the only thing I do. All things considered 5800/x3d or 5900x would be a substantial upgrade from what I have now.
    For gaming especially at high resolutions you'll not notice much difference between 5600x and 5900x - check out Gamer's Nexus' 5800x3d conclusions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFNoKUHjcg&t=1394s - but both would be a good choice.

The 5800x3d is a good price/performance part. I could understand wanting a 3080/ti but depending on if you can get them at near MSRP is another issue. I know amd cards are falling forward MSRP and they have 6x50 cards coming out soon, which may be another option there.

if you're just out for upgrading your cpu and graphics card, you're in luck because your budget will cover both parts. I was just at microcenter yesterday and while prices may be different at yours, they had a couple models of 3080s for 900-1000$, plenty of stock and a ryzen 7 should run about 400$. You're also going to need a cooler, I'd recomend a bequiet darkrock pro or Noctua dh15, the ryzen 7 5800 doesn't come with a cooler and you're going to need an upgrade over what you currently have

that being said if you jump to intel, you should have a socket that can be upgraded further as AM4 is at the end of its life, but Intel has been bad at breaking compatibility so who knows if lga 1200 actually stays their standard. AM4 is solid enough to not really need to worry though as AM5 is probably a year away from mass release anyways
    Last edited by Sableye; 2022-04-16 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sableye View Post
    if you're just out for upgrading your cpu and graphics card, you're in luck because your budget will cover both parts. I was just at microcenter yesterday and while prices may be different at yours, they had a couple models of 3080s for 900-1000$, plenty of stock and a ryzen 7 should run about 400$. You're also going to need a cooler, I'd recomend a bequiet darkrock pro or Noctua dh15, the ryzen 7 5800 doesn't come with a cooler and you're going to need an upgrade over what you currently have

that being said if you jump to intel, you should have a socket that can be upgraded further as AM4 is at the end of its life, but Intel has been bad at breaking compatibility so who knows if lga 1200 actually stays their standard. AM4 is solid enough to not really need to worry though as AM5 is probably a year away from mass release anyways
    Yeah, both the 3080 and TI are basically at MSRP or a little lower. I’ll consider the cooling options depending on what card I go with. If I get a 5800x3D is there a reason to even go with a noctua? But yeah, intel has probably one more generation of upgrade left out of that MB I’m sure, but it probably isn’t going to be a big enough leap for me to consider that. I don’t upgrade my CPU that often usually.

For gaming especially at high resolutions you'll not notice much difference between 5600x and 5900x - check out Gamer's Nexus' 5800x3d conclusions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFNoKUHjcg&t=1394s - but both would be a good choice.

Oh I know it’s not a big boost or any at all as you hit the higher core counts, but those chips would benefit more in the normal everyday usage and the hobby production stuff I do. 5600x is still a great CPU even if that’s all I had to choose from.

If you're gonna game on a 1440p monitor I can't really recommend (check 1440p results on the tests, they're almost all gpu bound) the 5800x3d, you'd probably be better off with the 5900x considering you can use the extra cores.

Yeah, both the 3080 and TI are basically at MSRP or a little lower. I’ll consider the cooling options depending on what card I go with. If I get a 5800x3D is there a reason to even go with a noctua? But yeah, intel has probably one more generation of upgrade left out of that MB I’m sure, but it probably isn’t going to be a big enough leap for me to consider that. I don’t upgrade my CPU that often usually.

Oh I know it’s not a big boost or any at all as you hit the higher core counts, but those chips would benefit more in the normal everyday usage and the hobby production stuff I do. 5600x is still a great CPU even if that’s all I had to choose from.
    Really, you're THE target audience for the 5800X3D. The only people that would be buying it are people like you who are upgrading from an older AM4 platform.

Might as well take advantage of it, as its MSRP price isnt... awful for a high end gaming CPU (the 12700K is cheaper but the X3D outperforms it by a small but noticable amount, and youd have to get a new mobo, so.. ), and its a drop-in replacement that will provide you with a substantial upgrade over your Ryzen 2000 series chip.

As for the heat it puts out, id still get a decent cooler, but no, you dont need to go with an NH-D15; a smaller cooler would be fine. I'd get a BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2 or Shadow Rock 3, a Noctua UH12S Redux. All those will handle 150-ish watts of heat no problem. Maybe step up to a Dark Rock 4 (definitely) not the Pro, thatd be massive overkill on the order of getting an NH-D15), or a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B. Both will keep that CPU cool as a cucumber and wont break the bank.

You could also consider a decent AIO. Coolermaster has a a 240mm AIO that is relatively affordable, and is around 80$ (ML240r, i believe) - edited to add: ML240L RGB v2
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-04-16 at 08:50 PM.

I'm not sure what the MSRP of the 3080 and 3080TI are for third party boards but with the Founders Edition cards it is not worth almost double the price for the extra few percent performance you get with the TI.

Noctua are very good but that does come at a price. There are plenty of coolers on the market that offer similar performance such as the DeepCool AK620, Scythe Fuma 2 or Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo.

In my opinion if you were building from scratch then Intel would be the way to go but since already have an AMD system the performance benefit, especially in games, is not worth the cost over dropping in a new CPU.

I should have added that in your position I would lean more towards the 5900x than the 5800x3d but whatever you choose it will be a decent upgrade from what you have already especially when paired with a 3080.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Really, you're THE target audience for the 5800X3D. The only people that would be buying it are people like you who are upgrading from an older AM4 platform.
    I agree with this but since the OP games at higher resolutions and uses his PC for productivity then 5900x, which is available for around the 5800x3d MSRP or less, is probably the better choice.

Just to add there are some great coolers mentioned in Kagthul's post as well and I would also recommend taking a look at Arctic's range if you consider an AIO.
    Last edited by Pann; 2022-04-16 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    If you're gonna game on a 1440p monitor I can't really recommend (check 1440p results on the tests, they're almost all gpu bound) the 5800x3d, you'd probably be better off with the 5900x considering you can use the extra cores.
    This is also relevant. As you scale into higher resolutions, CPU matters less. Once you have "enough" CPU grunt, it becomes a GPU bind.

IF you would get use out of the extra cores on the 5900 (or even 5950, which have both tumbled in price thanks to the 12th Gen Intel), then it may more sense to do that. Performance differences between the X3D and the 5900/5950 are nearly zero at 1440p and nonexistent completely at 4k.

I'm not sure what the MSRP of the 3080 and 3080TI are for third party boards but with the Founders Edition cards it is not worth almost double the price for the extra few percent performance you get with the TI.

Noctua are very good but that does come at a price. There are plenty of coolers on the market that offer similar performance such as the DeepCool AK620, Scythe Fuma 2 or Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo.

In my opinion if you were building from scratch then Intel would be the way to go but since already have an AMD system the performance benefit, especially in games, is not worth the cost over dropping in a new CPU.

I should have added that in your position I would lean more towards the 5900x than the 5800x3d but whatever you choose it will be a decent upgrade from what you have already especially when paired with a 3080.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this but since the OP games at higher resolutions and uses his PC for productivity then 5900x, which is available for around the 5800x3d MSRP or less, is probably the better choice.

Just to add there are some great coolers mentioned in Kagthul's post as well and I would also recommend taking a look at Arctic's range if you consider an AIO.
    $999 for the 3080 and $1,199 for the 3080 TI. I doubt the 12gb 3080 will ever go back down to $699 - Nvidia regrets it completely. But you’re right, the 5900x may be better if I can safely overclock it and get closer to x3D performance.

This is also relevant. As you scale into higher resolutions, CPU matters less. Once you have "enough" CPU grunt, it becomes a GPU bind.

IF you would get use out of the extra cores on the 5900 (or even 5950, which have both tumbled in price thanks to the 12th Gen Intel), then it may more sense to do that. Performance differences between the X3D and the 5900/5950 are nearly zero at 1440p and nonexistent completely at 4k.
    That’s what I thought, but the x3D obviously does better in some games compared to intel or the 5800/900, which is where I’m curious. Although, if I did go with a 5900x, couldn’t I also buy a good air or AIO and overclock it quite a bit, safely at that, and get closer performance to the x3D AND better overall performance regardless of gaming? Always a thought I’ve had.

PS: I don’t think my current case could fit an AIO and a 3080 in there, but I’ll have to recheck the clearance! Never installed one though, only have used air coolers.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're gaming on that 4k screen then don't bother upgrading your CPU.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...800x3d/18.html

Add another ram stick and upgrade that GPU.

$999 for the 3080 and $1,199 for the 3080 TI. I doubt the 12gb 3080 will ever go back down to $699 - Nvidia regrets it completely. But you’re right, the 5900x may be better if I can safely overclock it and get closer to x3D performance.

That’s what I thought, but the x3D obviously does better in some games compared to intel or the 5800/900, which is where I’m curious. Although, if I did go with a 5900x, couldn’t I also buy a good air or AIO and overclock it quite a bit, safely at that, and get closer performance to the x3D AND better overall performance regardless of gaming? Always a thought I’ve had.

PS: I don’t think my current case could fit an AIO and a 3080 in there, but I’ll have to recheck the clearance! Never installed one though, only have used air coolers.
    Again, though, those differences are almost all at 1080p. If youre going for higher than that (and if you're getting a 3080, id hope you ad least be heading to 1440p/high refresh). The 5800X 3D is impressive but there's a reason that all the tests and benchmarks you see to show the "differences" in performance in games are almost always at 1080p, because at higher resolutions any modern CPU that hits 4.2+ ghz on a core or two is powerful enough to swap the bottleneck to the GPU.

Thats why all the vids with the "X3D best gaming GPU evar!!1/1/1?!!?!" cickbait on them (even GN subtly went there) are misleading. All those tests are run at resolutions no one with that kind of budget is playing at.

Edit: and yeah, the 12GB 3080 is not going to be 699$. Thats one of the reasons they added the 2GB and changed the SKU - so they could raise the MSRP without but still claim they released the 3080 at 699$.

If i had to guess, a putative 4080 will start at 799$ this next go-round (for the FE) and you wont see AIB cards below 900$.

Again, though, those differences are almost all at 1080p. If youre going for higher than that (and if you're getting a 3080, id hope you ad least be heading to 1440p/high refresh). The 5800X 3D is impressive but there's a reason that all the tests and benchmarks you see to show the "differences" in performance in games are almost always at 1080p, because at higher resolutions any modern CPU that hits 4.2+ ghz on a core or two is powerful enough to swap the bottleneck to the GPU.

Thats why all the vids with the "X3D best gaming GPU evar!!1/1/1?!!?!" cickbait on them (even GN subtly went there) are misleading. All those tests are run at resolutions no one with that kind of budget is playing at.

Edit: and yeah, the 12GB 3080 is not going to be 699$. Thats one of the reasons they added the 2GB and changed the SKU - so they could raise the MSRP without but still claim they released the 3080 at 699$.

If i had to guess, a putative 4080 will start at 799$ this next go-round (for the FE) and you wont see AIB cards below 900$.
    I am going to be gaming at 1440p, 32:9 - right now I game at 1440p 21:9! 4K TV may be used sometimes, but the primary driver would be the Megawide I'm getting. Never realized the CPU's mattered THAT much less at 4k honestly, but I suppose that also heavily depends on if the game is really CPU bound no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    If you're gaming on that 4k screen then don't bother upgrading your CPU.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...800x3d/18.html

Add another ram stick and upgrade that GPU.
    I don't play 4K enough to justify not upgrading, and I would upgrade anyways for the performance boost in other / future applications. But that list is rather useful, thank you for that. I may update my RAM a few months down the line to 32 gb, as that's not too expensive for DDR4.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2022-04-17 at 04:00 AM.

I just finished watching GN and Hardware Canuck’s videos, and, yeah…

All these tests are run at 720p and 1080p because thats the only way to run tests that show any differences in the CPUs since at higher resolutions (and hell, even Detail settings - HCs video ran at “real life” 1080p settings vs the “settings that will actually show differences” settings GN uses and there was almost NO difference between the 5800X and the 3D (and, therefore, 5900X/5950X). At any 1440p resolution or higher there will be no real perceptible differences.

So, id go with - 5800X (now down to 340$ !) if 8 cores/16 threads is enough, since the extra 100$ is not worth the tiny, tiny performance gins the X3D gets at real-world settings. IF you can make use of the extra cores in things other than gaming, then a 5900 or 5950 would get you the same performance in gaming AND the extra cores. (Though unless youre very frequently doing hardcore work, the 5950 seems like overkill). Hell, the 5900 is still cheaper than the X3D and the 5950 is only 70$ more.

Both seem like better values at real world settings.

I just finished watching GN and Hardware Canuck’s videos, and, yeah…

All these tests are run at 720p and 1080p because thats the only way to run tests that show any differences in the CPUs since at higher resolutions (and hell, even Detail settings - HCs video ran at “real life” 1080p settings vs the “settings that will actually show differences” settings GN uses and there was almost NO difference between the 5800X and the 3D (and, therefore, 5900X/5950X). At any 1440p resolution or higher there will be no real perceptible differences.

So, id go with - 5800X (now down to 340$ !) if 8 cores/16 threads is enough, since the extra 100$ is not worth the tiny, tiny performance gins the X3D gets at real-world settings. IF you can make use of the extra cores in things other than gaming, then a 5900 or 5950 would get you the same performance in gaming AND the extra cores. (Though unless youre very frequently doing hardcore work, the 5950 seems like overkill). Hell, the 5900 is still cheaper than the X3D and the 5950 is only 70$ more.

Both seem like better values at real world settings.
    I'd have to wonder if 1440p on an ultrawide, or megawide, reduces the benefits as well. To be honest one big allure to the x3D I've seen is that it performs well in MMORPG CPU bound games, but... As always, if you play at 4K it doesn't matter (I don't), but at 1440p it was faster. Notably, FFXIV (Which is what I play). Curious to see if I can ever find results on that, instead of just 16:9 resolutions

I'd have to wonder if 1440p on an ultrawide, or megawide, reduces the benefits as well. To be honest one big allure to the x3D I've seen is that it performs well in MMORPG CPU bound games, but... As always, if you play at 4K it doesn't matter (I don't), but at 1440p it was faster. Notably, FFXIV (Which is what I play). Curious to see if I can ever find results on that, instead of just 16:9 resolutions
    More pixels driven = more stress on the GPU, less on the CPU. Its not so much the aspect ratio as it is the total pixels.

1920 x 1080 is 2,073,600 pixels.
    2560x1440 is 3,686,400 pixels.
    3840x1440 (21:9) is 4,953,600 pixels
    5120x1440 (32:9) is 7,370,800 pixels
    3840x2160 (“4K”) is 8,294,400 pixels

Since you said youre going to a 32:9, 1440p panel (5120x1440) - your results will be almost exactly like a 16:9 4K display… youre going to be pushing only 900,00p less pixels.

So base your choice on what 4k benchmarks tell you, since thats basically what 1440 at 32:9 is.

For my money, a 5% performance gain (if its even that at that resolution) from the X3D doesnt seem worth the 100+$ premium. (Or more, if you live near a MicroCenter). The 5900X (still cheaper at 379$) would be a better buy if the 5800X just wont do it for you. Both the 5800X and 5900X can also be overclocked, likely making up any actual performance advantage the X3D mght have at these resolutions. After watching the Hardware Canucks video, and a few other benchmark articles, im with Demitri from HC here… the X3D is a CPU they should have released a year ago, and with a sub-300$ 5700X (which gets within 5% or less of the 5800X), it makes no sense to get an X3D. Im having trouble figuring out who its for. People spending 450 on their CPU arent playing games at the resolution where the thing actually has a performance advantage (apart from what seems like a small niche of games who REALLY love that extra cache, but those seem rare). If theyd launched this at 350-370 and dropped the 5800X entirely in favor of the 5700X at 300, then maybe. At 450, its a really hard sell with the 5800X at 340ish and the 5900X at 380, much less the 5700X at 300 (or frequently less) which is within margin of error of the 5800.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-04-17 at 08:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't play 4K enough to justify not upgrading, and I would upgrade anyways for the performance boost in other / future applications. But that list is rather useful, thank you for that. I may update my RAM a few months down the line to 32 gb, as that's not too expensive for DDR4.
    Techpowerup is my go-to review site because of their comparisons. YouTube only when I want to see things get used :-)