Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    76ers gonna be out in the first round, book it!

Yeah, this playoffs is going to be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    well GG Utah. With Luka out prob for the series, we're gewtting bounced in the 1st again. sigh...

15+ Year Old Account
    I watched 5 min of the 76ers game in the third and I feel for the raptors with some of these calls. Harden getting away with some harden shit and no-call travels that resulted in scores + and 1s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I watched 5 min of the 76ers game in the third and I feel for the raptors with some of these calls. Harden getting away with some harden shit and no-call travels that resulted in scores + and 1s
    Check this, unbelievable that he got away with this. https://twitter.com/johnquinn83/stat...57437779775492

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Check this, unbelievable that he got away with this. https://twitter.com/johnquinn83/stat...57437779775492
    That reminds me of the time Westbrook just... forgot to dribble on an inbounds play:

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That reminds me of the time Westbrook just... forgot to dribble on an inbounds play:

Not sure how that video reminds you of the Westbrook one. You've got a guy posting a 1/3rd speed video of Harden "traveling", and Westbrook blatantly taking 3 steps cradling the ball, walking in real time. xskarma needs to at least post the video in real-time instead of slowed down junk in his attempt to throw gasoline on the previous comment about 'officiating being so bad in the 5 whole minutes of the game I watched." There's a reason you can't even find that Harden video on actual NBA websites or even Reddit--and that cesspool will take any chance it gets to call this kind of stuff out. But anyway--in real time it was a light carry, at best, but nothing really egregious and was certainly par for the course with how almost every player in the NBA gets officiated on traveling (whether or not people agree with how the NBA officiates traveling is another can of worms I suppose).

For those of us who actually watched the game though--the junk that was posted above wasn't really the problem at all. The actual egregious stuff was how the Raptors were being officiated in the paint. Embiid was throwing elbows everywhere and getting away with it--definitely a bit of a raw deal there. Par for the course that Embiid gets a lot of calls--you can't stop him without doing it--but he was given a lot of liberties on the other side of that one. But either way--not why the Raptors lost (insinuating that is copium).

But anyway--collapsing on Harden and Embiid didn't work out for the Raptors--and won't if Maxey/Harris/etc have a quick trigger and nail the open looks. But Nurse is amazing and I'm sure will figure something out, provided they aren't too banged up. It sucked seeing guys get hurt--especially Scottie--he's legit and I hope he's OK.
    Last edited by Espo; 2022-04-17 at 06:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Not sure how that video reminds you of the Westbrook one.
    It reminded me of it because it reminded me of it; I didn't say they were the same.

But anyway--in real time it was a light carry, at best, but nothing really egregious and was certainly par for the course with how almost every player in the NBA gets officiated on traveling (whether or not people agree with how the NBA officiates traveling is another can of worms I suppose).
    Nah, this was absolutely an egregious carry, and a missed call for sure.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

It reminded me of it because it reminded me of it; I didn't say they were the same.

Nah, this was absolutely an egregious carry, and a missed call for sure.
    I'm assuming you saw this in real-time--but you say that without any bias toward Harden? (not rhetorical).

And are you saying that based on "I think that's an egregious travel based on the rules" or "I think that's an egregious travel based on what the refs usually call/the precedent set?" If it's the former--OK (but still borderline). If it's the latter--I would question how much basketball you watch, other than replays (and I mean no offense by that if you aren't an avid watcher--that's OK). And in either case--please don't watch Giannis, Durant (much less after his injury), or a host of guys who do things similar (or worse) on a regular basis. I know that's a bit of a 'whataboutism', but yea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm assuming you saw this in real-time--but you say that without any bias toward Harden? (not rhetorical).
    I didn't watch this live, no. And while I'm not particularly a Harden fan anymore, that's not biasing my judgment on this.

And are you saying that based on "I think that's an egregious travel based on the rules" or "I think that's an egregious travel based on what the refs usually call/the precedent set?" If it's the former--OK (but still borderline). If it's the latter--I would question how much basketball you watch, other than replays (and I mean no offense by that if you aren't an avid watcher--that's OK). And in either case--please don't watch Giannis, Durant (much less after his injury), or a host of guys who do things similar (or worse) on a regular basis. I know that's a bit of a 'whataboutism', but yea.
    It's both. Obviously, refs way under-call carries and travels in the NBA on a regular basis. But even considering that, this was an egregious case and should have been called.

And I watch plenty of basketball. About 100-120 games so far this season. I've made 220 posts in the NBA threads on this forum going back 5+ years.

Heck, I even won the playoff predictions competition we had here back in the 2016-17 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    PhaelixWW has won the overall contest with 100 points.
    And yes, those players should be called for it more than they are. But I also make a distinction between curling your hand around the ball on a single dribble (I watched Durant do this for a few years) and literally carrying the ball for 3+ steps. The former is more of a grey area, because you're not taking steps while you do it, which makes it a far less important non-call. The second is straight traveling.

And in this case, it wasn't just a single step, it was carried for 3 steps, and 6 steps between dribbles.

In the playoffs.

Personally, I think the refs should ease up a bit on the physical foul calls (for relatively incidental contact), but tighten up on the fundamentals calls during the postseason. At least on the egregious cases, like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy. Shit.

What an amazing effing finish to the Nets-Celtics game!

Tatum's first career buzzer beater game-winning shot comes in a playoff game.

The whole sequence starting with Kyrie's three with 45 seconds left... amazing.

Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2022-04-17 at 10:21 PM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol and the reply below it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy. Shit.

What an amazing effing finish to the Nets-Celtics game!

Tatum's first career buzzer beater game-winning shot comes in a playoff game.

The whole sequence starting with Kyrie's three with 45 seconds left... amazing.

I'm probably not going to be able to watch any of the remaining series live (cause middle of the night EU, this fell on Easter with the Monday off) but holy shit I nearly had a heart attack, so not watching this live seems like a good idea actually.

The last play I went from no no no Marcus, to YES MARCUS, YES TATUM which is basically the extent of this year too. This team has come such a long way to be able to make a play like this happen, without a time out to set it up. Just basic plays and trusting eachother and moving the ball to the open man. Last year or even early this year this would have been an ISO possession with Tatum getting pressured and throwing up a prayer. Not any more.

Going to be a long series though. Durant isn;t going to be this bad again. On the flipside Celtics shooting, especially at close range won't be this bad again either. Then there's Kyrie who you kind of hope got things out of his system and won't be able to repeat this game after game, but then Celtics likely won;t be this bad defensively again either, with a multitude of basic defensive breakdowns, especially in the first half and the early 4th.

Going to be a great series no doubt, cause this Nets team won't back down after losing at the buzzer like this and neither will the Celtics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last play I went from no no no Marcus, to YES MARCUS, YES TATUM which is basically the extent of this year too.
    Yeah, when Kyrie made that three with 45 seconds left to put them up three, I was doing my best impression of a shocked emoji face because I thought they were done for. The entire game was pretty tense, but that ending... yeesh.

I mean:

On the flipside Celtics shooting, especially at close range won't be this bad again either.
    This game was, as playoff games tend to be, pretty damn physical. Brown was running around bleeding most of the last quarter. The Celtics' lead evaporated largely due to the ridiculous amount of missed layups in the last 15 minutes or so of the game, as players continued to get banged up under the basket.

For the game to come down to two of the smoothest layups was... pretty apropos, I guess.

Going to be a great series no doubt, cause this Nets team won't back down after losing at the buzzer like this and neither will the Celtics.
    I'd love for the Nets to be bounced in the first round, but yeah, it's going to be a tough round for the Celtics.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Yeah, when Kyrie made that three with 45 seconds left to put them up three, I was doing my best impression of a shocked emoji face because I thought they were done for. The entire game was pretty tense, but that ending... yeesh.

I mean:

This game was, as playoff games tend to be, pretty damn physical. Brown was running around bleeding most of the last quarter. The Celtics' lead evaporated largely due to the ridiculous amount of missed layups in the last 15 minutes or so of the game, as players continued to get banged up under the basket.

For the game to come down to two of the smoothest layups was... pretty apropos, I guess.

I'd love for the Nets to be bounced in the first round, but yeah, it's going to be a tough round for the Celtics.
    I'm shocked they allowed Brown to play like that, usually any blood is an instant pull by the refs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm shocked they allowed Brown to play like that, usually any blood is an instant pull by the refs.
    With only minutes left in a close game in the playoffs?

The refs would be tarred and feathered before they left the arena.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

With only minutes left in a close game in the playoffs?

The refs would be tarred and feathered before they left the arena.
    Still wouldn't stop them from doing it lol!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Still wouldn't stop them from doing it lol!
    I wish I could disagree with you on this...

- - - Updated - - -

But anyway--in real time it was a light carry, at best, but nothing really egregious
    Here it is in real-time speed, for anyone who wants to decide for themselves whether this was a "light carry" or not.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Marcus Smart DPOY, which means I have a jersey to buy cause I said in like Feb that if he managed to win DPOY I'd get his jersey as token to remember it by.

Now let's hope they continue this trend and start looking at who the best individual defender was that year and not just which C or C/F had the most counting stats. It's been long overdue.

I wish I could disagree with you on this...

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is in real-time speed, for anyone who wants to decide for themselves whether this was a "light carry" or not.
    Like I said though--if you're talking absolute stickler for the rules--that'll get called (so I agree with you there). But that isn't getting called in the NBA against any player. That's just not that egregious in general, and certainly not for the officials to even care. My annoyance with it is probably more that this is the example someone would post of "an unbelievable non-call".

https://streamable.com/lo3ogo Look at Giannis when he grabs the rebound (many steps) and when he brings it up court (multiple light carries). Same stuff (albeit not at the same game speed).

For what it's worth--I don't disagree with your idea of tightening up the fundamentals during the playoffs--but it's just not high up on my list of officiating problems (consistency being #1 to me, which I'd imagine isn't a surprise). But we can certainly agree to disagree on the Harden thing, that's OK, no hard feelings--good banter!

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said though--if you're talking absolute stickler for the rules--that'll get called (so I agree with you there). But that isn't getting called in the NBA against any player. That's just not that egregious in general, and certainly not for the officials to even care. My annoyance with it is probably more that this is the example someone would post of "an unbelievable non-call".
    My disagreement is that I think this is egregious and not a light carry. I don't much care if they don't call the light carries, but this wasn't one.

https://streamable.com/lo3ogo Look at Giannis when he grabs the rebound (many steps) and when he brings it up court (multiple light carries). Same stuff (albeit not at the same game speed).
    You're confusing two things here. You're allowed to take a few steps when you first collect the ball; that's completely different from carrying.

What you're describing as a light carry I alluded to earlier:
    But I also make a distinction between curling your hand around the ball on a single dribble (I watched Durant do this for a few years) and literally carrying the ball for 3+ steps.
    In the case of Giannis or Durant, they're not really gaining an advantage by doing what they're doing. They're still dribbling the proper amount, it's just the placement of the hand on the ball as it moves that's the problem; they're not literally supporting the weight of the ball with their hand as the take multiple steps down the court.

That's what Harden did.

For what it's worth--I don't disagree with your idea of tightening up the fundamentals during the playoffs--but it's just not high up on my list of officiating problems (consistency being #1 to me, which I'd imagine isn't a surprise).
    Well... yeah. I can 100% agree with this.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils