Most hopeful part of Dragonflight for me

Is that the Reliquary and Explorer's League are leading us to the Dragon Isles, not the military. This is exactly the chill exploration xpac I've craved. There also seems to be no major bad-guy - also a pro.

What about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Iheartnathanos View Post
    Is that the Reliquary and Explorer's League are leading us to the Dragon Isles, not the military. This is exactly the chill exploration xpac I've craved. There also seems to be no major bad-guy - also a pro.

What about you?
    I'm happy with the laid back tone. Won't be surprised if 10.1 is the infinite and twilight crash the party though.

There is "major bad guys", they hinted at it in the video (new evils have awoken too).

Overall, I think WoW needed something truly innovative to recapture its audience, and I don't think this announcement was it. This felt very "par for the course" type of an announcement for an expansion. If the only good thing about an announcement is the lack of "progression systems" that are temporary, that isn't really an "expansion feature".

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    There is "major bad guys", they hinted at it in the video (new evils have awoken too).

Overall, I think WoW needed something truly innovative to recapture its audience, and I don't think this announcement was it. This felt very "par for the course" type of an announcement for an expansion. If the only good thing about an announcement is the lack of "progression systems" that are temporary, that isn't really an "expansion feature".
    Hmm, I disagree. The revamp of the systems like talents and professions are going to be a massive breath of fresh air. Dragon Riding seems killer. This really feels like the direction they needed to go in because there is nothing ambitious or negative I can really point out so far. This means in the worst case scenario I play for a month or two before getting bored of the grind and take a break until the next major content drop.

What about you?
    I'd wait to see the lvel of detail and depth put into it before I get excited - just speaking from experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

What about you?
    According to the deep dive, it appears there's related PvP activity between the Horde and Alliance on the boats heading over to the Dragon Isles. Something about a battleground or similar type of objective that involves jumping across the two factions' naval craft and fighting.

But I agree, all in all, the expansion seems to be more exploratory and less faction conflict-related.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account

What about you?
    Truthfully, I don't think they've hit the feeling for "Going to the new place with the military" since WotLK. Borean Tundra & Howling Fjord have a distinct feel from other intro zones.

What about you?
    Considering the shit the reliquary pulls on those who get in their way, there is hardly a difference.

These are the people, who killed a bunch of dwarves took their heads and prepared them in a way they looked older and then buried them for the explorers league to find in order to mess with their archaeological findings.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_Morons%27_League
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2022-04-19 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Truthfully, I don't think they've hit the feeling for "Going to the new place with the military" since WotLK. Borean Tundra & Howling Fjord have a distinct feel from other intro zones.
    Jade Forest was decent in that vein, since it actually had the moment of Landfall. With Wrath you already had these places set up with the previous landing place being explorable with Garrosh's Landing.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Jade Forest was decent in that vein, since it actually had the moment of Landfall. With Wrath you already had these places set up with the previous landing place being explorable with Garrosh's Landing.
    I actually didn't mind the Jade Forest intro, although I'm partial to Northrend simply because you show up with the Horde in force. It lends a feeling of importance to what you're doing there imo, more so than being the "tip of the spear" in Pandaria until 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by zolfare View Post
    Hmm, I disagree. The revamp of the systems like talents and professions are going to be a massive breath of fresh air. Dragon Riding seems killer. This really feels like the direction they needed to go in because there is nothing ambitious or negative I can really point out so far. This means in the worst case scenario I play for a month or two before getting bored of the grind and take a break until the next major content drop.
    Talents is just reintroducing an old system, that isn't innovative. Dragonflight is just flying but tied to a play metric to have to make the most out of it. Also not exciting.

I actually didn't mind the Jade Forest intro, although I'm partial to Northrend simply because you show up with the Horde in force. It lends a feeling of importance to what you're doing there imo, more so than being the "tip of the spear" in Pandaria until 5.1.
    Same, I was looking forward to seeing Horde and Alliance bases all around the isles until they said it's just the archaeology nerds, working together to boot. Well, at least it means blood elves are involved, perhaps nightborne too. And they have new art assets.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

The only thing to look forward to is GW2 style momentum based flying and dragon mount customization.

It's just too bad there won't be any good zones to fly through.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The only thing to look forward to is GW2 style momentum based flying and dragon mount customization.

It's just too bad there won't be any good zones to fly through.
    What about the Dragon Isles looks bad to you? I think they fit Warcraft way more coherently than Shadowlands did, with its vampires and fairies that are randomly located in the afterlife of the Cosmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    What about the Dragon Isles looks bad to you? I think they fit Warcraft way more coherently than Shadowlands did, with its vampires and fairies that are randomly located in the afterlife of the Cosmos.
    1. I don't like the cartoony art direction. The texturing lacks detail. Pastel color palette. Looks like a generic league of legends map. I preferred the high detail texturework and darker colors of older WoW zones.

2. the zones look very bland. I play fantasy games because I want to visit a fantasy world. Most of my favorite zones in WoW are the fantasy ones, like mountain ranges that look like swords, mushroom swamps, green volcanos, the twisting nether, the underground plane of Deepholm, the shattered world of Argus, the floating sky dimension of the Shadowlands, etc. I also love GW2 for this reason, as all of the zones are fantastical, and one of my biggest beefs with FFXIV is how mundane most of its zones are. These new Dragonflight zones are just generic.

3. Zone design continues to look claustrophobic and gamey. Before WoD, you had vast open plains where you could roam around and rest. You had secret areas like the kite village in the Veiled Stair, or the underwater cave on Timeless Isle. You had lots of villages and hamlets that had no quests or anything taking place there, and just existed to make the world feel alive. But starting with WoD, the zones started being compacted. You no longer got wide open expanses to roam around in. Zones are jam packed with mobs and you can't walk 5 feet without being dazed and knocked off your mount. There are no longer dozens of hamlets dotted around a zone like the Jade Forest. Now, you are lucky if you visit more than 2 or 3 settlements, and they are all visited as a part of the plot. And there are no secret areas. WoW zones no longer feel like a virtual world. They feel like cramped video game levels to kill stuff in. And what we've seen of Dragonflight's environments shows the same telltale signs of cramped, gamey zone design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Considering the shit the reliquary pulls on those who get in their way, there is hardly a difference.

These are the people, who killed a bunch of dwarves took their heads and prepared them in a way they looked older and then buried them for the explorers league to find in order to mess with their archaeological findings.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_Morons%27_League
    Its WoW, "kill them all" is usually the solution to petty inconveniences.

Peasants mad at the monarchy? kill em' all

Hungry Gnolls? kill em' all

Dissenting peons? kill em' all

What I like about both Borean and Fjord is that you're under attack right from the first quest on. It sells the danger of the land right away and gives that beachhead feel. Pandaria meanwhile with both Jade Forest and especially Landfall sells the idea of you as the invader taking over and affecting the place around you compared to how Northrend and the people in it were fighting you from the moment you were there. It helps that because of the technology you could see the factions affecting Pandaria as the expansion went along even with the copout that was not placing Deepwind Gorge on the proper map.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.