Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

So is regular flying dead now?

It looked to me like you were only going to be able to fly in Dragonflight by doing these weird sky acrobatics on your new dragon mount? Is regular flying dead then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GasherDarkly View Post
    It looked to me like you were only going to be able to fly in Dragonflight by doing these weird sky acrobatics on your new dragon mount? Is regular flying dead then?
    Not enough information if they are limited to the isles, or if flight is closed on the isles.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I hope so.

Flying has been one of the worst aspects of the game since TBC, if they finally found a way to get rid of it, without actually getting rid of it, that would be really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    I hope so.

Flying has been one of the worst aspects of the game since TBC, if they finally found a way to get rid of it, without actually getting rid of it, that would be really great.
    Flying is amazing QoL that saves time doing the same BS in the same areas over and over. Just crawl around on the ground and disrespect your own time if you want to so badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remains to be seen but they did mention it being tied to a Dragon Riding skill so could be Dragon Isle restricted.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

GW2 has two different flying mounts. The Griffon, which is the momentum based flight that the dragons are being based off of. And the Skyscale, which is your usual MMO flying mount that can hover in place forever, the only limitation being that 1. it can't fly anywhere near as fast as the Griffon (so you're incentivized to actually git gud with the Griffon if you want to save time), and 2. the Skyscale had a height limit which meant you couldn't climb forever, meaning that reaching high places still took skill.

If traditional flying mounts are allowed into the Dragon Isles, then I imagine a height limit might also be added. Or, traditional flying with no restrictions might be added in a patch update, with the incentive to use dragon riding being that it's faster than traditional flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Flying is amazing QoL that saves time doing the same BS in the same areas over and over. Just crawl around on the ground and disrespect your own time if you want to so badly.
    Flying is a crutch for the boring travel system in the game.
    Yes, it's convenient, but it's so boring as a game feature.

If they do manage to make it more dynamic and responsive, maybe even, and forgive my rudeness, make into a game mechanic instead of a crutch, then that's only a positive thing.

remember Aviana's feather? That was a cool, skill based form of vertical travel, much more engaging and dynamic than simple swimming throught 3D space like flying is.

The problem they have had with limiting flying is everything you flew over wasn't worth any time and only offered tedium.

I rather they make something players want to engage with rather then limiting methods past it.

There's no way they'll add in this new form of timegating flying and allow you to use the far more practical normal type as well, without restricting it to the point of uselessness.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I'd been suggesting they do with flying since literally Wrath, when I saw how bad flying was in TBC. GW2 beat them to it, but them adopting it is good.

For the new areas, I very much doubt "normal" flying will either be allowed or needed - looks like these dragons are pretty damn fast.

The real question, for me, is will these dragons still use this method of flying in other areas? The GW2 system outlined by Val seems like a good approach, honestly. This could be faster but more interactive than other flying.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

If you look at things like the IGN interview, they imply that dragon flying is somehow limited - they talk about "being able to reach places you couldn't before" and so on, heavily suggesting that dragon flying isn't JUST flying with extra cosmetics but bound to some kind of limitation system. Maybe it's resource based maybe it's timer based, who knows - but chances are it's not just free flying.

Flying in Wow has always lacked important physics, such as gliding, gaining speed via descending, etc. It was one of the reasons for constant "flying content doesn't work" statements from Blizzard, we have been having since Cata. The most important detail - it will be available at release. This sole fact is big factor for moving towards buying this xpack. Blizzard seem to steal my ideas. Flying at release, "leveling" and customizing flying mount - were my old ideas for integrating flying into character progression route and therefore making it more relevant.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Not enough information if they are limited to the isles, or if flight is closed on the isles.
    It *almost* seemed like it was more of a gliding system, but they REALLY didn't elaborate on it enough for me to form any kind of solid opinion. They mentioned that players who master the skills that come with this new dragon riding will be able to reach higher locations, but then they also, at some point, showed the mount flying upwards like a dude with flying holding the space bar. So... I'm not really sure what direction they're going in. I think I'd rather it be more like goblin glider but with skills and less like hold space bar to go up, but it is what it is until we actually get specifics.

I think towards the VERY end of the section, they showed the dragon going upwards at an angle and it appeared to be slowing down a LOT. I don't know that they'd just have you completely fall to the ground though so I really don't know what their intentions are with this system. At the very least, flying will be more interesting? Like if you have to engage with the system for maximum speed, then you have an AFK option that takes more time but requires no input like current flying, or you have a way to go faster by using momentum and those aerial rolls and whatnot that requires you to be actively tabbed in and doing things in the game.

I think that's probably the best way that I could see flying being implemented. Feels more like Vanilla WoW's mount system where you could kinda avoid things by going fast, but you had to at least pay attention to where you were going or else you could tab back in to your character running in place as they're stuck on a fence somewhere LOL
    You can still possibly AFK in flight but you'd get to your destination faster if you didn't.

Or I could be entirely wrong and this is some glider thing, but we'll see I guess.

I hope so. I hope this will become the end of normal flying. Never felt right that flying was some type of unconstrained 'spectator' mode.

"The Oculus, but it's the whole expansion!" -- Bree Royce of Massively OP
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Do a barrel roll!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Do a barrel roll!
    Now an aileron roll, bonus points for spotting the difference!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

No, regular flying still exists.

I can't imagine they'd be dumb enough to once again try and restrict flying, considering the reaction back in WoD. Either this new system is easy to use or it's going to be alongside traditional flying (maybe as a 10.1 addition).

Then again, I didn't think they'd cater to the anti-LFG people for Wrath classic either, so maybe they are dumb enough.

Well, the new flying mounts look highly customizable, so if they turn out to be good, then I doubt players will be using the old ones.