Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

You can't fly in the Dragon Isles. You can only glide and fall down with style.

Blizzard has confirmed that you will only be able to "fly" in the Dragon Isles using the new Dragonriding system. Your broader mount collection will act only as ground mounts in the new zones.

In an interview with AusGamers, Jeremy Feasel spoke more about the new system, including details about how it will allow you to travel faster than existing mount speeds and an idea about how the system will work in practice.

https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3639901

https://www.wowhead.com/news/flying-...-dragon-326774

10+ Year Old Account
    We want flying from day 1!!!!! Everywhere!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I'd say this much was obvious with the developers in the announcement being very careful not to refer to the feature as traditional flying. I'm mostly flying agnostic but I still see this an improvement over the simple ground mounts we've been restricted to at the beginning of every expansion since WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I can get from A - B without having to traverse obstacles and mobs I don't care.

Flying in WoW is just swimming through the air, other games have done it much better. The dragonriding system looks like what flying always should have been.

From what they've said so far, it's very clear the new dragonriding system is not just gliding; you can gain altitude by (I assume) trading-off velocity.

I'm not making any judgment whether that's fun or sucks or whatever as I haven't tried it or even seen a non-produced video yet. But it certainly isn't just gliding.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I'd say this much was obvious with the developers in the announcement being very careful not to refer to the feature as traditional flying. I'm mostly flying agnostic but I still see this an improvement over the simple ground mounts we've been restricted to at the beginning of every expansion since WoD.
    I think this is a solid compromise.
    They're embracing the idea of the glider technique that players used at the beginning of Legion to effectively fly around where they wanted but they're putting it into the base game.

I'm totally fine with this idea, and I kinda wish this is what flying had been like all along. It gives you the ability to bypass certain areas of terrain based on your ability as a player. I'm assuming it's removing the whole like... set character to auto run in the right direction and then alt tab until you're at the raid portal gameplay that was introduced in TBC with flight. Giving players not only a reason to be tabbed in but also giving them something to do that can impact their speed and how long they can "fly" is a great idea IMO. Like it would be boring if you just had to be tabbed in watching your character fly around simply because you could get shot down by something, but this way you're actively engaging in the mechanics of flight.

I need more information before I can pass true judgment (which is a trend that I'm noticing with many of the revealed features so far). A lot of what is being tossed around is very speculative from players. I want to get my hands on those talent trees so I can really see if their design matches their supposed intent, and if this is going to be a clusterfuck of terrible ideas or will actually be something that allows you to make weird off meta builds for the lolz.

I know we'll still live in the world of meta cookie cutter builds, but the fact that this will make leveling more interesting is already at least a bonus. If you're going to play a cookie cutter build, at least allow me to make the build instead of just giving me the spec as I level. And if I can do something like I could in Vanilla and make some really stupid meme Spell Power Hunter using Arcane shot then I'm all for it. They've talked about the trees as though you can change them extremely quickly, so you aren't locked into a meme build as much as you'd be in Vanilla WoW. You can totally meme it out for a bit before going to raid night and swapping to your real build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Blizzard has confirmed that you will only be able to "fly" in the Dragon Isles using the new Dragonriding system. Your broader mount collection will act only as ground mounts in the new zones.

In an interview with AusGamers, Jeremy Feasel spoke more about the new system, including details about how it will allow you to travel faster than existing mount speeds and an idea about how the system will work in practice.

https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3639901

https://www.wowhead.com/news/flying-...-dragon-326774
    Honestly, pretty much everyone stocks up on gliders for their first leveling in expansions.

Dragonflying is pretty clever in getting rid of that while making it a feature. I also think it strikes a nice balance between players wanting flying unlocked and the "explore the zone" crowd.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well that's super fucking lame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    There's no guarantee that we can ever fly in the Dragon Isle with our normal mount, ever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    If I can get from A - B without having to traverse obstacles and mobs I don't care.
    Actually, you need to be able to accumulate enough updraft and speed to be able to traverse obstacles and mobs to reach from A and B when using Dragonflight. Most likely you need to do the mechanic 2-3 or maybe 4-5 times before you reach your destiny and you probably get stuck somewhere with mobs you have to fight. There's no guarantee you can evade them unlike using normal flying.

I would be very surprised if they ever let us fly with the previous mechanics in the expansion areas. If they do, that means they screwed up, it isn't fun, and player feedback forced their hands. Otherwise, future expansions will use the new flight mechanic too.

I do expect it to work out that way early in the expansion, where you're forced to land and can't fly whereever you want due to lack of mount stamina or whatever, but I also expect that a couple months into progressing the skill that will no longer be a problem. If not, they fail the "fun test" with me, for sure.

This is more akin to flying than noclip mode. So I take it, gladly... Looks fun as hell.

Funnily enough I have been arguing against flying for a long time mostly because the idea you can design with flying in mind when you have noclip is just not possible.

Now with this. Now you can design the world around flying.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Branflakes6000 View Post
    Flying in WoW is just swimming through the air, other games have done it much better. The dragonriding system looks like what flying always should have been.
    And in no way Blizz should have disabled normal flying. Go dragonride as much as you want, but please allow others to just relax and fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Honestly, pretty much everyone stocks up on gliders for their first leveling in expansions.

Dragonflying is pretty clever in getting rid of that while making it a feature. I also think it strikes a nice balance between players wanting flying unlocked and the "explore the zone" crowd.
    Cool. Just allow us to fly, while you can dragonglide all day for all I care.

I appreciate your lack of optimism; I kinda share it Jekyll. But it's really too early for doom and gloom-- maybe dragonriding will be fun and you won't miss the old style of flight much. It could happen!

Honestly, we'll know as soon as the alpha opens and we get unfiltered real impressions from people. There's no need to wait until release. We just need to see how the system works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    From what they've said so far, it's very clear the new dragonriding system is not just gliding; you can gain altitude by (I assume) trading-off velocity.

I'm not making any judgment whether that's fun or sucks or whatever as I haven't tried it or even seen a non-produced video yet. But it certainly isn't just gliding.
    So.. it's gliding but with longer time before you fall...

It's gliding in the same way that flying birds are. If you don't flap your wings, you will gradually lose altitude. But you can flap your wings.

I think dragonriding is a good compromise. ‘Flying day 1’ with flying how it has been is obviously a terrible idea, but introducing a new flying mechanic and having it be something you build up through the expansion is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    There's no guarantee that we can ever fly in the Dragon Isle with our normal mount, ever
    This isn't a bad thing.

It is smart, if dragonriding is a fun mechanic. That's where the fear, uncertainty, and doubt creep in!