Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

Are people really okay with the "new" race restrictions?

I think it's very lazy that the new (reskin) race is restricted to one class and is not able to show your armor/xmog. This is supposed to be an expansion defining feature.

10 years ago we got a brand new race that could play lots of other classes and a brand new class that lots of other races could play.

I feel like we're still regressing here.

I'm fine with the new race. I'm not fine with that the new class is restricted to a singular race.

I’m fine with it because it’s what Worgen should of been (IMO).

Look at Worgen Druids who transform into Cats. Worgen Melee who use weapons and not their own claws…. It was a missed opportunity for a very model specific spec with unique animations.

From the (limited) information I’ve seen, the new Race IS the new class, because they’ll use model specific animations for it.
    If they do it right, (yet to be seen), then great.

-edit-

That being said, I’ll need to see a lot more before I even think about re-subbing. At the first sign of endgame borrowed power chores, then I’m out. But specifically the approach they’ve taken with the new class/race, I don’t mind.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2022-04-21 at 09:12 AM.

I'm fine with both.
    Yes, opening up more races for the class seems like a good thing to do, only it makes zero sense from the classes' lore standpoint. The class exists as a result of an experiemnt of trying to create chromatic dragons; how could you make a human, elf, troll or whatever an evoker...?
    Goes the other way too; would be strange to have a drakthyr warrior who somehow lost his aspect powers.
    In this specific case, the race and class are basically one. And I don't mind that; I don't mind Blizzard doing things differently from time to time.

For me this is fine. We already have plenty of aces especially after BfA's 10 allied races, so making the new one more unique is difficult. Also this race is no reskin, only their visage form is.

Also drake will show at least some parts of their armor, but this will be also optional and every gear could be hidden. It will show chest, tabard, belt, shoulders and helmets. State of pants, gloves, boots and cloak/back remains unknown and could be permahidden. Weapon is rather class specific term and it seems to be hidden as well for Evoker in general.

10 years ago, you mean Monk I suppose and that's right, but for Pandaren and Monk it was more sense. This time we have a race that would be werid if it would be different class instead of Evoker which is really linked with they physical appereance. In the other way being Evoker as different race would be weird as well, as it would mean you are no longer Human/Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Tauren/whatever, but you are a Dracthyr in form of another race. It like saying that being a Dtuid your race is Bear, but you can occiasionally turn into Night Elf and just look like Night Elf.

Well yeah they put in that lore to justify it being locked to evoker, they could simply just say that there are some who specialize in the new powers and those who couldn't grasp it etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be more okay with it if the Dracthyr could transform into all of the core races, and not just Blood Elf Males and Human Females.

To be completely honest though, I feel like the new race shouldn't have been a race at all. It should have been handled like Demon Hunters, where picking the class would have given you access to the additional draconic customization for your chosen race and the ability to turn into your dragon form in combat.

They tried to make it more like Worgen, when on paper everything about the race/class sounds much more like Demon Hunters. This didn't really need to be a new race imo, but to each their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by i3ackero View Post
    For me this is fine. We already have plenty of aces especially after BfA's 10 allied races, so making the new one more unique is difficult. Also this race is no reskin, only their visage form is.

Also drake will show at least some parts of their armor, but this will be also optional and every gear could be hidden. It will show chest, tabard, belt, shoulders and helmets. State of pants, gloves, boots and cloak/back remains unknown and could be permahidden. Weapon is rather class specific term and it seems to be hidden as well for Evoker in general.

10 years ago, you mean Monk I suppose and that's right, but for Pandaren and Monk it was more sense. This time we have a race that would be werid if it would be different class instead of Evoker which is really linked with they physical appereance. In the other way being Evoker as different race would be weird as well, as it would mean you are no longer Human/Elf/Dwarf/Orc/Tauren/whatever, but you are a Dracthyr in form of another race. It like saying that being a Dtuid your race is Bear, but you can occiasionally turn into Night Elf and just look like Night Elf.
    They said in an interview that the dragon form will only have shoulders/belt/tabard shown on the model.

I don't really care about the new class I just want my dragon to pick up a sword, I think it's just lazy writing trying to justify why they can be only one class and it's actually because the model isn't rigged properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    I'm fine with both.
    Yes, opening up more races for the class seems like a good thing to do, only it makes zero sense from the classes' lore standpoint. The class exists as a result of an experiemnt of trying to create chromatic dragons; how could you make a human, elf, troll or whatever an evoker...?
    Goes the other way too; would be strange to have a drakthyr warrior who somehow lost his aspect powers.
    In this specific case, the race and class are basically one. And I don't mind that; I don't mind Blizzard doing things differently from time to time.

Just sounds like a lazy way to justify locking it to one class imo. Can easily just say that some failed and can't use draconic powers as well as others so they took up a sword or learnt the arcane.
    Last edited by mwj1995; 2022-04-21 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwj1995 View Post
    They said in an interview that the dragon form will only have shoulders/belt/tabard shown on the model.
    It doesn't confirms only them, but definitely that some visible, some not. In the screenshots we are able to see them wearing chests and shoulders, but also helmets. It doesn't give full potential for diversity and transmogs for sure, but with that rich amount of different items, for me this is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by i3ackero View Post
    It doesn't confirms only them, but definitely that some visible, some not. In the screenshots we are able to see them wearing chests and shoulders, but also helmets. It doesn't give full potential for diversity and transmogs for sure, but with that rich amount of different items, for me this is fine.
    That chest in the screenshots was a tabard.

I see no reason why the drakthyr wouldn’t be able to be a mage, priest, druid, shaman or warrior. Even rogue or hunter could be thinkable

Quote Originally Posted by mwj1995 View Post
    Just sounds like a lazy way to justify locking it to one class imo. Can easily just say that some failed and can't use draconic powers as well as others so they took up a sword or learnt the arcane.
    That's just one way of looking at it - and I guess the easiest one if you want evoker for different races. I try not to view every creative decision that leads to some restrictions as "lazy". For me, it makes perfect sense that darkthyr = evoker; it makes them special. Allowing the drakthry to be anyone would dilute the fantasy, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I'm ok with that.

Maybe they should have added additional race as visage option, but other than that I don't mind this to be a unique combo race/class.

I'm perfectly fine with it, the race was built for the class so it fits together nicely.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont mind the locked class behind the new race.

I don't see a point of mage or priest as the invoker is technically a fancy mage that heals. I don't see them as shamans as why make deals with elementals. I also can't seem them as druids paladins or rogues.

I would prefer it though if the race could be at least a warrior. I have never seen a warrior that could not brawl. I understand they didn't want to show the dracthyr fighting with weapons, because yeah why hold a shield, but thye can melee fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, lost all interest when they locked the race to the new ranged class.

Limited options, locked dragon form in combat, and sex-less physical attributes means I'll be staying far away unless they cave in to future requests.

Luckily superior furry options are already at hand with my vulpera huntress, pandaren monk, and pandaren warrior.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I don't care. I'd of made my Evoker the Dragon-man anyway even if they were more options etc.

I never cared about race restrictions anyway.

I don’t think I could care less if I tried, being brutally honest.

For this expansion it makes sense given the origin of the race and class.

But going forward, since they'll be interacting with the. Mortal.races side by side it only makes sense to have dracthyr want to follow other paths and want to teach their ally's the ways of the evoker too.

Only question is how reliant on dracthyr animations are evokers?