Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Batman's Deleted Scene - Joker

What do you think about this new Joker?
    Where does he rank among the other Jokers, based on what is shown, and of course, the big question: how is he compared to Heath Ledger's?

I find his laugh and his looks very eerie. Kind of young for a Joker, but very disturbing.

If you ask me, this version of the Joker tends to be overlooked, but is very good in my opinion:

I audibly sighed during the jokers apperance in the cinema, an entire scene if it would have been torture.

From what I saw the actor was fine, him being imprisoned limits what he can do clearly. Batman has other bad guys and I'd rather avoid another generation adopting the Joker as an edgy symbol.

He's certainly one of the more fucked up looking ones, easily the most disfigured we've seen in live-action. While this wouldn't be an issue in comics, it'd be fairly unrealistic for him to be very physically active, or to "hide in plain sight" as the character often does.

But I'd say this iteration is probably not meant to be a recurring villain who breaks out every couple of weeks to gas people during some parade. Maybe this one wouldn't ever leave Arkham at all, and his first and only appearance was enough to leave a permanent scar on the city, and Batman.

It was fine. I like that they're taking risks, and not yet another 'origin' story.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    I audibly sighed during the jokers apperance in the cinema, an entire scene if it would have been torture.

From what I saw the actor was fine, him being imprisoned limits what he can do clearly. Batman has other bad guys and I'd rather avoid another generation adopting the Joker as an edgy symbol.
    I am 100% on board. Especially the last part, I hate to survive my teens with all these angsty, edgy people adopting the Joker as some sort of symbol to worship and I don't think I can survive that cringe again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nowhere near Heath Ledgers Joker, and I say that as someone who also thinks Heath's Joker was overrated. Joaquin Phoenix was pretty good though even though I didn't enjoy Joker.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Nowhere near Heath Ledgers Joker, and I say that as someone who also thinks Heath's Joker was overrated. Joaquin Phoenix was pretty good though even though I didn't enjoy Joker.
    Joaquin Phoenix felt like he was a genuine misfotunate character. Less so a Joker.

They're all very different takes on the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Joaquin Phoenix felt like he was a genuine misfotunate character. Less so a Joker.
    It was a different Joker that's true, not like Heath or Nicolson's Joker. But I did like the way it went away from the fantastic and went more with a realistic dramatic tone. Of the DC Characters Joker has always been one that made me ask why or how someone might turn out like him. It was hard to decide how I felt about Joker Watchin the film.

So I agree with you it really didn't fit The Batman. It was an Interesting film, but again I didn't enjoy it. I went in because I wanted to see the Joker, it really wasn't it.

This clip I didn't like because they went way over the top, they made him look like a monster and had him act like one too.

As to The Batman, I haven't seen that aside from bits and pieces so maybe this style of Joker fits that telling some way. However Riddler reminded me a lot of Bane. But Riddler looked good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    They're all very different takes on the character.
    Yeah different takes, I understand that but "Joker" really didn't feel like much of a connection to the Character Joker.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just like with Arkham games, it is getting annoying when they insert Joker so often. Batman has sick rogues gallery, yet they keep going for the safest and most obvious. Someone like Hush would be fresh and could fit really well in this setting.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-04-21 at 06:38 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    *just sits very confused how anyone can fairly compare five minutes worth of one Joker to movie-long-performances (and mores worth) of other Jokers*

I mean a five minute scene tells you jack squat about how that character/actor/whatever would play out over two hours or more. Talk about people 'filling in their own information' here on where/what/how any of that might play out over more time. *shrugs* Have fun!
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I would have preferred the Gotham Joker actor, but this was fine. I felt that Riddler essentially just played Ledger's Joker as the Riddler. Not to any detriment, I think Dano is fantastic in everything. But the plot/character beats felt pretty much the same between Riddler and TDK.

Dear gods I thought it couldn't get any worse. How tryhard is this.

Of the DC Characters Joker has always been one that made me ask why or how someone might turn out like him.
    Well, in the Dark Knight, Heath Ledger says "what doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger". It implies that he survived several assassination attempts, or encounters with Death, which really fucked him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    Indeed. The Joker was a dead horse two decades ago and still is today. Enough is enough. But corporations will keep milking his image 100 years from now. It seems that the destiny of the superhero genre is to watch a man in a black suit punch a clown. Forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    snip
    I dig it, but it kinda feels like an attempt at recapturing the Heath Ledger joker with the breathing and salivating sounds.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in the Dark Knight, Heath Ledger says "what doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger". It implies that he survived several assassination attempts, or encounters with Death, which really fucked him up.
    I think that makes sense but I would like for it to be clear as to where Joker cannon wise comes from definitively.

tbf, anything is better than the nerds cumming over Heath Ledger everytime. There have been way way better jokers (Mark Hamill anyone?) and way different jokers (Jack Nicholson). Everyone was amazing in their own right, yet whenever you mention this; the Heath Ledger fanboys come out of the woodwork to screech that Ledger was the bestest ever, and that you're wrong for liking anyone else.

I like this new scene, but it's frantically appealing to the Ledger fans, so yay for them I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    *just sits very confused how anyone can fairly compare five minutes worth of one Joker to movie-long-performances (and mores worth) of other Jokers*

I mean a five minute scene tells you jack squat about how that character/actor/whatever would play out over two hours or more. Talk about people 'filling in their own information' here on where/what/how any of that might play out over more time. *shrugs* Have fun!
    Well we know what Joker looks like in The Batman, we can also here in his voice, his inflection, the cadence in which he speaks. While situationally it doesn't give us every detail, but it for sure gives a lot.

Keep in mind when actors Audition for such role they are often be considered based on the exact same snapshot. Here we got much more than that, where as typically for auditions they don't have make up, scene setting etc.

I think it's fair we all don't agree on what we saw, but I don't think it's accurate to say it's not enough to form an opinion as I said Actors audition for roles all the time, sometime the writers and directors "creative" go one way, while studio's and producers "Financial & Marketing" go another.

I personally found the performance (Acting) under whelming and the prosthetics and make up doesn't change that. What was written (Writing) wasn't very good either in terms of dialog, and the choice for setting direction as in joker is already in prison doesn't work either(Directing).

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I thought it was fine. And Joker is used so often because he's the guy people (as in general audience) know the most, not really anything more to it.
    To be fair, it's the one people know because it's the one they always use because it's the one people know.