Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Thumbs up I suspect SL's hiatus will have the lowest subs in history and it will trigger events

Let's face it; most people still around from the early days of the game are 40+ year olds who start not even gaming anymore; the younglings aren't few but they don't tend to stay especially since WoW is nothing too special in the context of new games.

An expansion that just has "dragons and Alex the hot!" is not going to cut it; it might have a small peak at launch but even that may be underwhelming; the new producers will likely pull the plug entirely and possibly try something extremely new.

The nature of "extremely new" is up in the air but I have some predictions; perhaps they will delete all technical notions of 'expansion' and release it only as 'Warcraft'; what do you think they might do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is likely to change until they reach a point where expansion sales fail to pay for development for the entire expansion. Expansions are their once-every-two-years revenue gorilla.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quite possibly, I think it will be interesting to see the interest in season 4. Of course the number of subs can only really be given by Blizzard and they’re not going to. I think the content drought at the end of WoD would give some competition though, because lots of guilds would’ve cleared HFC pretty quickly, it wasn’t a difficult instance, compared to others anyway

Your first paragraph nails it. WoW can't compete with today's games and is only really popular among addicts and sunk costees.

So it's become more a niche hobby some people are clinging to for almost 2 decades. I think WoW can survive among niche hobbyist, but Blizzard should scrap any ideas of a revival, even an absolutely slapping expansion will not create more first time players, just bring old players back who don't play but still check up on forums and stuff like me.

It's hard selling a game created in 2004 to people born after 2004. It's hard seeing WoWs graphics (people's first impressions btw) be comparable to xbox-360 graphics. People were spoiled by great graphic RPGs like Skyrim over a decade ago, WoW hasn't gotten more popular since then.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2022-04-22 at 11:52 AM.

There isn't enough competition. Not even outside of other MMOs. What else is there to play this year until Q4?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    So it's become more a niche hobby some people are clinging to for almost 2 decades.
    God, just imagine what other companies would do to have a "niche games" that sells 3.7 million copies in preorder/on release day... That's one huge niche man.

people werent that much younger (btw people wo play long being 40+ is such an asspull i play since march 2005 and im 30, what exactly is the basis to say my age group is not in majority?) when SL was released and it sold cca 3.7 milions on day one (+preorders ofc), and broken all records, why do you think dragonflight will have "small peak" at begining instead of breaking the record again?
    especialy since they say to focus on core instead of "borrowed powers" which was probably the biggest issue players had with the game lately...

its too soon to say, but i think it will be shitload of people on release again, as every expansion before, if WOD didnt dissuade people neither will SL
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-04-22 at 12:10 PM.

It's hard seeing WoWs graphics (people's first impressions btw) be comparable to xbox-360 graphics.
    There have been many many games that have leaned into cartoony graphics and have been wildly popular. Not everything has to be some grimdark monstrosity that straddles the edge of the uncanny valley.

wish they would stop releasing new continent and 10 levels each expansion and create content for for all of the old world. Check my signature for a couple of ideas.

And of course. Player housing. Player housing content that will be found all through out the world.
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2022-04-22 at 12:14 PM.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    God, just imagine what other companies would do to have a "niche games" that sells 3.7 million copies in preorder/on release day... That's one huge niche man.
    right? it broken previous record for fastest selling game (which was diablo i believe), so very "niche"

They need to fully focus on retaining players than new players. I would say be radical - remove the whole leveling experience and just turn it into something like Loremaster. Make each zone scaled to max level for solo questing. Give people literally everything they ask for. Retain, retain, retain.

Less occupational therapy and more content would let me stay a loooot longer as one of those "younglings", crazy how that works.

As you put it, there is a great variety of entertainment avenues available online nowadays that's all competing with each other for peoples attention, "diligent farming" won't do Blizzard any favors there.

And to be fair, in that regard dragonflight/Zereth mortis design does look a lot better to me.
    Blizzard always made great raids, m+ and arena pvp, that's the fun and unique stuff this game has to offer, if I could play all that with as low friction from systems and grinds hindering me as possible I can see myself subscribing to this game for a looooong time.

Let's face it: Blizz intention is not to create "good content" but to earn money, and every $ Blizz does not spend is a $ more profit. So, they will create the cheapest product that they think the people will buy. This is the reason why there will be no housing, no overhaul of the old world, no class skins etc. The classic "4+1 zones and some dungeons/raids" scheme will do (At least for me it will do) and so they have no intention to do more.

I will hard disagree with this one, with Season 4 happening (depending on when it comes) that will keep a lot of people interested enough to play, far more than if you just had 6 months of absolutely nothing at the end like previous expansions. It's not a perfect solution obviously, but it's better than the literal nothing we had before.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    They need to fully focus on retaining players than new players. I would say be radical - remove the whole leveling experience and just turn it into something like Loremaster. Make each zone scaled to max level for solo questing. Give people literally everything they ask for. Retain, retain, retain.
    that's essentially commiting suicide. You're never going to retain 100% so not gaining any new players means at some point you're not going to be able to cover costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    right? it broken previous record for fastest selling game (which was diablo i believe), so very "niche"
    In what world is 3.7 million a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    In what world is 3.7 million a lot?
    in the world where it broken the record for fastest selling game in the history? so... REALITY?
    mind you, thats not even whole amount, thats day one + preorders...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xerberous View Post
    Let's face it: Blizz intention is not to create "good content" but to earn money
    what an unusual sight, business that have goal of making money...
    it ALWAYS have been the intention of blizzard and EVERY other gaming (or any different tbh) company... like did you just now realise blizzard is not charity?

Your first paragraph nails it. WoW can't compete with today's games and is only really popular among addicts and sunk costees.
    Ah yes, the good ol' "It can't possibly be because they actually enjoy the game, no, it must be some flaw of their mentality!" argument. Never fails to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    in the world where it broken the record for fastest selling game in the history? so... REALITY?
    mind you, thats not even whole amount, thats day one + preorders...
    Firstly, ur just wrong, gta 4 barely sold less at 3.5 million, gta 5 sold 11 million, cod mw3 sold 6.5 million in the first 24 hours. Secondly first day amount doesn't mean shit. If they had sold any significant amount of copies afterwards they'd release concrete numbers and they'd be shouting it from the roof tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    There isn't enough competition. Not even outside of other MMOs. What else is there to play this year until Q4?
    Getting shat worldwide by FF and Lost Ark since 2020 but ok

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    Firstly, ur just wrong, gta 4 barely sold less at 3.5 million, gta 5 sold 11 million, cod mw3 sold 6.5 million in the first 24 hours. Secondly first day amount doesn't mean shit. If they had sold any significant amount of copies afterwards they'd release concrete numbers and they'd be shouting it from the roof tops.
    It was the best selling PC game of all times (on release day), period. GTA/CoD count PC + console sales. So fact is, SL was the best selling release day PC game, ever.
    But yeah, it's "niche". Like I've said - you may call it niche it you want, but that's one huge niche.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-04-22 at 01:24 PM.