Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Good god. So we get a new interesting system which will develop with you to the point where cou get better flying in the dragon isles.
    You don't even know if this system will let you fly before you are max level. You just see something you don't get immediatly and start whining.

And you want the boring as hell flying back immediatly?

They even add something like the flightwhistle connected to this system.

Like OP said: Just unsub and stop bitching about EVERYTHING. I take this over the mincraft creativ mode flying we have now every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    yes, it is. it means our normal flying mount will stay grounded for all of dragon isle content. It also mean that people who just joined the game or sub at a later time, or alts have to farm a system to be able to dragonride properly. It also disfranchises an entire fan base who does not like dragonriding.
    I see that as an absolute win.

- - - Updated - - -

cool. Or I just won't be subbing until normal flying is available again for the new content, just like in WoD, Legion, SL and BFA.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you stop being emotional and just calm down? People like me are pro-choice, while you want to dictate what is fun and what is not fun and what should other players enjoy or don't enjoy and how to play the game. Please be rational, thanks.
    The game is probably better off without catering to people like you. The game needs to evolve, flying hasnt evolved since 2006. It’s time for some updates.

So... they want to introduce this new system by artificially downgrading old one?
    I bet patch 10.1 will intorduce 'normal' flying here as 'feature'.
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2022-04-22 at 09:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The people who want to whine and complain apparently can't/don't bother to READ what the devs have said. The flying we have now won't be appropriate for the zone we're going to. Your mount won't be able to get to where the dragons can eventually get. But if you want to stand around scratching your butts wondering how your sparkly cat cat get to the top of that cliff that dragons are at, by all means go ahead...enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    No WoWhead's author confirmed that "no [traditional] flying" was told to them. To back that up, look at Blizzplanet's interview (https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blo...-and-tina-wang)

While not saying that "normal" flying is out, the Devs are clearly focused on this new Dragon Riding (probably to the exclusion to or replacement of "normal" flying).

Granted if the outcry is loud enough, Devs would probable reconsider it....
    The only way to vote is through your wallet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    I will probably have fun with dragon riding for about 30 minutes, then just go back to "oh well that thing I actually wanna do is 17 minutes away by ground mount, more if I get knocked off my mount or need to pick herbs on the way. oh well, fuck it I didnt wanna do that anyways versus its 2 minutes away if i just fly directly there, and can go 3.1 times as fast as if I was stuck on the ground"
    So you'll use dragon riding for 30 minutes and then stop using it as a means to get places and just walk on the ground? Sounds smart.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dragonriding is going to replace the "climb the highest point and use goblin glider" mode of transport.
    If it's cool and fun, great.
    If it's lame and effectively a customizable gob glider but with a "go fast option", then whatevs.
    It just means, as a druid, I won't be using my insta-travel form as much, which makes me a little sad bc insta mount is the best thing ever.

Regular flying was said to not be locked behind a pathfinder achievement, so that will probably come with 10.1 as the story evolves, then I'm hoping dragonriding will be "regular flying +" in that it will act as a standard flying mount for all intents and purposes but also with fun buttons.

No WoWhead's author confirmed that "no [traditional] flying" was told to them. To back that up, look at Blizzplanet's interview (https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blo...-and-tina-wang)
    There is nothing in that interview that says that. here's a quote; "So like your normal flying is something that we’re not looking at right now. It’s a conversation we have in the future, but for now we’re really focused on the dragonriding and the momentum, gravity-based flying, and iterating on that with our players for alpha and beta." That says they're not working on normal flying because there's nothing to work on. It works. Obviously the development has to be on the Dragonriding because it's new. Another thing is the old adage to consider the source. Who is speaking in the interview? A quest designer and an art designer, neither of whom will be involved in the issue. Ion says this "Dragonriding will not replace mounts".
    Last edited by Dch48; 2022-04-22 at 06:21 PM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    So... they want to introduce this new system by artificially downgrading old one?
    I bet patch 10.1 will intorduce 'normal' flying here as 'feature'.
    Downgradng?
    Excuse me how is something actually being fucking fun for once a downgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Regular flying was said to not be locked behind a pathfinder achievement, so that will probably come with 10.1 as the story evolves, then I'm hoping dragonriding will be "regular flying +" in that it will act as a standard flying mount for all intents and purposes but also with fun buttons.
    This, to me makes sense. There have also been hints that your dragon mount won't be able to fly much at first and that ability will progress. It might be more like a glider at first.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

The only way to vote is through your wallet.
    Cool, never pay them again, we dont want people here who rather play spreadsheet simulator then actually have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    There is nothing in that interview that says that.
    No, it was asked in WoWhead's own discord. And Anshlun (on discord) said "no flying" was told to them [Wowhead] personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Ion says this "Dragonriding will not replace mounts".
    This is where it gets tricky... Technically speaking, you still have your mounts... All flying mounts can be used as ground mounts. But what's missing (so far) in DF is "normal" or traditional flying as we currently know it. Noclip flying if you want to use that term.

Instead, it seems that Dragon Riding is replacing normal flying in DF for the Dragon Isles and what is a deep concern is that this replacement does not offer (even at the max level or end of progression) the same ease of use that we see current flying. At least as of right now, there is no mention of the abilities like hovering in place or being able to fly dragon ride from point A to point B without using the mini-game.

Let's say Bob has a severe case of vertigo when you do the kind of motion required for Dragon Riding... Are there accessibility options to still have Dragon Riding without the mini game?

In another case, let's say Lisa wants to dragon ride from one end of the Dragon Isles to another, are we looking at several minutes of doing the mini-game of diving, then pulling up to gain height (at the expense of speed) then repeating for as many times necessary to cross the distance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Downgradng?
    Excuse me how is something actually being fucking fun for once a downgrade?
    Ok I think it's "fun" to be able to hover over a spot while I type in trade chat/area chat/guild chat to get reinforcements to rally to me. From the presentation, it doesn't seem like you can "hover" in air. You are constantly gliding unless you gain enough speed (via diving) to trade that speed for height.

Moreover, while you're busy doing those actions (aka playing the mini-game) how do you type? Or navigate a map or some other UX interface?

Seems like a downgrade in functionality compared to current flying where I can point at a direction (NE from Haven), toggle auto-run while in flight, then start typing in chat or looking at the map to see if I missed any rares/chests as I'm auto-flying to that general direction.

Sure dragon riding seems immersive and that's great when I want immersion. But what if I just want to passively go from A to B where there is no flight points that are at A or B.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Ok I think it's "fun" to be able to hover over a spot while I type in trade chat/area chat/guild chat to get reinforcements to rally to me. From the presentation, it doesn't seem like you can "hover" in air. You are constantly gliding unless you gain enough speed (via diving) to trade that speed for height.

Moreover, while you're busy doing those actions (aka playing the mini-game) how do you type? Or navigate a map or some other UX interface?

Seems like a downgrade in functionality compared to current flying where I can point at a direction (NE from Haven), toggle auto-run while in flight, then start typing in chat or looking at the map to see if I missed any rares/chests as I'm auto-flying to that general direction.

Sure dragon riding seems immersive and that's great when I want immersion. But what if I just want to passively go from A to B where there is no flight points that are at A or B.
    Again, if you want to play spreadsheet simulator, try microsoft excel.

if you want to get from location A-B without having to use even a single braincell then you are free to use flight paths, or just press numlock and glide, or just use a ground mount, or land and type then take off again and continue flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, if you want to play spreadsheet simulator, try microsoft excel.
    Excel is a wonderful program with pivot tables.

if you want to get from location A-B without having to use even a single braincell then you are free to use flight paths, or just press numlock and glide, or just use a ground mount, or land and type then take off again and continue flying.
    Go back and re-read what I typed. I specifically said what if I want to go from A-B and they aren't near flight points.

Second, a ground mount need to navigate the terrain and when you factor the verticality that we'll be seeing in DF... Think Highmountain from Legion.

And lastly, again for those that missed it: What we're talking about here is the lack of functionality as Dragon Riding is currently presented. Basically it's a downgrade that forces a mini-game onto players to be able to "fly" in the new xpac.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    There is zero percent chance of that, I, along with a non zero amount of people in every guild I've been since 2008 have spent an inordinate amount of time collecting mounts over the years.
    I have more mounts than most myself; just checked and I have 644 total. I don't care that I can't fly on them if (and only if) the new way is fun. But of course, YMMV.

Dragonflight will certainly be less convenient than normal flying. There's no way around that since normal flying offers no gameplay at all, you just point in a direction and move forward. If the new gameplay is fun, most people will be OK with that tradeoff. If not, whooo boy. There'd best be a ripcord, Blizzard.

Did anyone think how this will effect gathering professions positively? I'm going to guess that nodes and herbs will be spread out much further, and possibly rare version at higher places we'd have to skillfully fly to, or even level up the mount to be able to get. I think that would help balance the AH enormously, and possibly also discourage bots, because the flying may not be as easily programed to farm properly. I'm sure there's going to be nodes and herbs on the ground land too, but they could possibly the former I mention.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's fun, I'm in favor. If it's not, I don't like. So let's check out the execution.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

I went looking and I finally found the spot.

Since fucking when can a glider do this?

(Timestamp 29:33 if the above timestamp does not work)
    this is not just falling, you can get a LOT of air with this right from the ground.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-04-22 at 09:44 PM.

I will never get why people get so worked up over flying. Is flying around for no reason so much fun to you right now or do you actually care about the seconds you save compared to flight paths? If they make flying more interesting but less efficient I'm all for it.

You can run, and you can glide!