Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    He is an ambitious, mysterious character from whom we know little. When he was first introduced it was not clear if he was trustworthy or not. Now we know he´s good, or so it seems.

That makes him special. Hopefully they will not destroy his character in 10.0

I am particularly afraid of what the modern devs might do with Anduin and Wrathion... since they insist in opening uncalled for cans of warms into the Warcraft universe.. Let´s hope they certain issues out of Warcraft from now on
    I know the shippers are all for it, but I've never taken them seriously for it. Do you think blizzard will actually go there with those two? I thought Shaw and Flynn was their appeasement couple. Wrathion and Anduin are main characters, and Anduin's a priest, further they both have duties to carry on their lines. Besides.. Kalec/Jaina was enough.. but then if it did happen, would Wrathion approach Kalec for advise on how to do it with humans?.

I don't see it happening, Wrathion and Anduin have a friendly vibe, not an "I love you" or "I secretly love you" vibe. Wrathion could possibly develop deeper attachment to Anduin, being mostly isolated and having minions rather than companions, it makes or potentially makes Anduin powerfully attractive for more than a friend. I just can't see Anduin returning the favour. If Wrathion had been around when his dad died and a should to lean on, - i could potentially see something developer.. alternatively actually, after the Zovvaal experience, if Wrathion is written to be there for Anduin, like a lot, I could see that been used to have Anduin develop feelings for him that would not have otherwise developed prior to those events. Gives Anduin a darker twist.

I can't think of anything else that can be used in this. - unless you create something new from the Dragon Isles experience, possibly maybe Wrathion is injured when Anduin happens to be there and some ancient draconic power is share within them that saves Wrathion from death, but also links them and brings them closer or something of the sort.

I just don't get where shippers get their vibes.. must friends always turn into lovers with no author vibe about it.. just by being friends and maybe attractive looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I think for me Wrathion feels a lot more like us, like a dragon that we can relate to because of his age, and we don't resent him being badass or magically powerful because he is a dragon afterall - before his power developers, his greatest asset is his intelilgence, he's got a very sharp mind and a bit of a schemer, but one that actually has a sense of honour - even though he doesn't always go about it the best way - for me tha'ts more because he had no parents to show him.

Despite that he's actually turned out quite well.

A bromance/friendship with Anduin actually I think was a good move and an asset, we should have seen more of the two of them in previous episodes before they develop.

For me, I really got to like Wrathion in 8.3

- - - Updated - - -

So for you it's faction based???
    Just that he seems unique where all the other dragons choose the alliance, and Ebonhorn chose to go with the High mountain Tauren.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    This. The character was very poorly written by blizzard. And when the time came in Legion for his big plan to unravel, they didn’t even use him…
    Now you have a black dragon who almost destroyed the world, again, and nobody seems to remember all of his wrongdoings.

Ebonhorn would make a way better black dragonflight leader/main character.
    Early in the beta Wrathion was the character that got turned into Ebonhorn.
    They tried to include him but in the end it made no sense how he would have ended up in highmountain being their advisor in disguise.

Outside of that, yes, he should had appeared at least as an easter egg somewhere.

To be fair, the whole Legion invasion thingies was his fault at that point so it would have been kinda wierd to have him around Khadgar and the bunch.
    Also, there would be no reason not to immediately kill his ass right there and then.

In BfA they at least made it make sense why we didn't just off Wrathion, as he was the only one that could help us resist N'zoth's corruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    They tried to include him but in the end it made no sense how he would have ended up in highmountain being their advisor in disguise.

Outside of that, yes, he should had appeared at least as an easter egg somewhere.

To be fair, the whole Legion invasion thingies was his fault at that point so it would have been kinda wierd to have him around Khadgar and the bunch.
    Also, there would be no reason not to immediately kill his ass right there and then.

In BfA they at least made it make sense why we didn't just off Wrathion, as he was the only one that could help us resist N'zoth's corruption.
    Wrathion actually does appear in Legion as a sort of easter egg - he's involved in the Deaths of Chromie event close to its close, as one of the persons of interest concerning Chromie's possible death in the future that you work with as part of the event's story. He claimed to be visiting Northrend "for his own amusement," but then got caught up in investigating demonic activity in and around the Black Dragonshine.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    He is best Yaoi bait in entire franchise.

His luscious locks, magnificent beard and tight asshole. MMmmmm that boy spicy

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who thinks Anduin would choose Wrathion over Valeera Sanguinar.... Just, NO.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    I kind of hate how Wrathion advertently caused WoD to happen and inadvertently caused Legion to happen and managed to walk away from it with little more than a slap on the wrist (or in this case, a punch in the face)
    huh?correct me if im wrong or missed something,but wasnt the fact that the legion thing happened so soon basicaly ended up saving everything?if we didnt go to argus sargeras would have completed his pantheon thing

[QUOTE=Mace;53724534but one that actually has a sense of honour - even though he doesn't always go about it the best way [/quote]

Dude, what? Wrathion has zero honor. Dude legit the reason why Garrosh escaped, and created the Iron Horde. Yet its entirely glossed over and we are supposed to just forgive and forget.

Wrathion is a dbag who tried to get the Horde destroyed not once, but twice. Sure, its to save Azeroth, but look how many died for his "greater good" in Cata, MoP, and WoD. He is not honorable at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Besides dressing like Jafar? Nothing since Ebonhorn stole his thunder as he's no longer the only non-evil Black Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    This. The character was very poorly written by blizzard. And when the time came in Legion for his big plan to unravel, they didn’t even use him…
    Now you have a black dragon who almost destroyed the world, again, and nobody seems to remember all of his wrongdoings.

Ebonhorn would make a way better black dragonflight leader/main character.
    I'm kind if curious how much of this transition that happened at MoP -> WoD with respect to Wrathion was actually intended ahead of time. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some ham-fisted attempt to have us go to alternate Draenor by used Wrathion as the motivation... because as he was originally established, I think even free Garrosh to go to an alternate universe and get the Iron Horde going was way too much of a leap in recklessness. Perhaps there was something in the original WoD story that would've changed or altered how things got perceived in the end, but we'll never know. Not much we can do about what's canon now, I just never thought it made too much sense.

In some respects, Wrathion sort of plays out like a Denathrius in terms of demeanor, but Wrathion shows more of his youth through his actions and flaws compared to Denathrius. Both have arrogance, but it comes from different places with the two... and both are flamboyant to some degree. He's interesting and a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of the brooding and overly serious personalities we get with most male characters in WoW. I'd even go so far that he's more morally gray than Sylvannas ever was, as he at least always had a clear goal that was for the greater good, but he has usually been more of an ends justify the means sort of personality.

Regardless, I hope that Blizz does not even hint at shipping or something more than a bromance with Anduin. Getting tired of writing direction in narratives even outside of WoW that there's no such thing as a platonic relationship between men that are close. Wouldn't put it past Blizz to have some off-comment by Wrathion imply some unrequited romantic interest in Anduin just to score points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    huh?correct me if im wrong or missed something,but wasnt the fact that the legion thing happened so soon basicaly ended up saving everything?if we didnt go to argus sargeras would have completed his pantheon thing
    This is why I think Wrathion is a more of an ends justifies the means personality, because ultimately everything turned out alright... especially since the sword in Silithus is just a "splinter" now, and the whole Shadowlands stuff was going to happen anyways if we go off of the novel. Granted his plan didn't go as intended, but it got the results he needed in the end. Ironically enough, Wrathion would make a better Zovaal villain than Zovaal himself in this regard (at least from how the story was told to us in-game), as he's better established in a more believable way, and would go the extra mile for the greater good... even if that means pissing off a lot of people. Also knowing Wrathion's goals is a step up from Zovaal as actualized in the game and the novel.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I kind of hate how Wrathion advertently caused WoD to happen and inadvertently caused Legion to happen and managed to walk away from it with little more than a slap on the wrist (or in this case, a punch in the face)
    Actually, in the Legion Alpha, they planned to have Wrathion to be Ebonhorn in disguise of a Highmountain Tauren while trying to protect the last of the uncorrupted Blackdragon eggs in Neltharion's lair...

Though they changed this because it wouldn't make much sense how Wrathion was hiding out as a shaman among Tauren between the end of MoP to Legion. So instead they made Ebonhorn into a separate character and forgot to put Wrathion somewhere in Legion. (Source is here Second to the bottom where it says the Legion Alpha)

He was also supposed to be in WoD, but that got shafted because of WoD's disastrous production cycle.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are a few things special about Wrathion. First and foremost, he's been purified of Old God taint by Rheastrasza, who eventually gives her life and clutch to save him. Secondly, he has a special relation with the player. We helped purify him during his fetal stage, helped ensure his egg was able to be moved to safety, then we help him deal with problems on Azeroth (killing some of the last black dragons who were causing problems) and work with him to learn more about the Titans and how to deal with the Legion. Unfortunately, Wrathion is likely not someone who should be considered as a candidate for being the Aspect or leader of the Black Dragonflight. While he helped us in BfA, his mind has now been touched by and Old God and while he was previously "purified", we now know he is susceptible to their corruption. What's more is that his actions prior to BfA ushered in the Iron Horde and his actions were directly responsible for the Legion's subsequent invasion.

His potential susceptibility to the Void and rash actions, which caused more problems than they solved, have made other members of the Black Dragonflight, like Ebonhorn, better candidates for becoming the Aspect.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Any ideas? Why is he special? And do you really like how he has developed, character arc, from origin to current, Why do you like him or don't like him? What made Wrathion and Andruid work, but not say Me'dan. Not many successful younger characters in warcraftfor sure.

Also who would you prefer for Black Aspect/ Wrathion or Ebonhorn? Does Ebon want to leave the Highmountain?
    Magically aged uncorrupted black dragon.
    I sort of like him? Honestly i prefer Ebonhorn despite being alliance, he just seems more chill. Also Sabellian in Outland, because we actually got to work with him without all sorts of weird story stuff; he just wanted revenge.
    Also he did morally ambiguous a lot better than Wrarhion, who really looks more like a self overestimating brat at times, one who conveniently leaves his mess for others to clean up more often than not.
    Honestly Wrathion would be an enemy if he weren't useful as often as he is.

I don't really consider it notable that he's younger, that mostly only matters to really young players (<16) methinks, as well as to some kids-in-mind.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    Actually, in the Legion Alpha, they planned to have Wrathion to be Ebonhorn in disguise of a Highmountain Tauren while trying to protect the last of the uncorrupted Blackdragon eggs in Neltharion's lair...

Though they changed this because it wouldn't make much sense how Wrathion was hiding out as a shaman among Tauren between the end of MoP to Legion. So instead they made Ebonhorn into a separate character and forgot to put Wrathion somewhere in Legion. (Source is here Second to the bottom where it says the Legion Alpha)

He was also supposed to be in WoD, but that got shafted because of WoD's disastrous production cycle.
    I've noticed the writing team often carry on with characters having done the things they never ended up showing, they sometimes pop up later in books or media when other events don't retcon them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Anyone who thinks Anduin would choose Wrathion over Valeera Sanguinar.... Just, NO.
    That's what I thought...but they wont do another elf human

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    He is best Yaoi bait in entire franchise.
    This explains a lot now that you mention it. I dont think many wow players are aware of this sub culture and how prevalent is. But would bliizzard sacrifice them to this altar and the shippers one too?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    That is supposedly the divine view. It is why Elyne allows the war of the Ancients and Illidan freed, it is why the bronze stoo the infinite flight from stopping the war of the Ancients and the orc invasion.

Those events actually force errors and create openings that would not have occurred otherwise. The idea being they had to happen in order for them to be defeated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    There are a few things special about Wrathion. First and foremost, he's been purified of Old God taint by Rheastrasza, who eventually gives her life and clutch to save him. Secondly, he has a special relation with the player. We helped purify him during his fetal stage, helped ensure his egg was able to be moved to safety, then we help him deal with problems on Azeroth (killing some of the last black dragons who were causing problems) and work with him to learn more about the Titans and how to deal with the Legion. Unfortunately, Wrathion is likely not someone who should be considered as a candidate for being the Aspect or leader of the Black Dragonflight. While he helped us in BfA, his mind has now been touched by and Old God and while he was previously "purified", we now know he is susceptible to their corruption. What's more is that his actions prior to BfA ushered in the Iron Horde and his actions were directly responsible for the Legion's subsequent invasion.

His potential susceptibility to the Void and rash actions, which caused more problems than they solved, have made other members of the Black Dragonflight, like Ebonhorn, better candidates for becoming the Aspect.
    Isn't everyone susceptible to the void? AMD if his flight more so because they govern the earth and are closer to the prison of the old gods, that makes Ebonhorn also susceptible and he hasn't been tested to the extent Wrathion has, I mean even maddened Nelthation didnt face an unleashed old god like Wrathion did and overcome, surely that puts him ahead, and his scheming was to save, not destroy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post

So Ebonhorn is like Sabellion and Azuregos, a means to an end, not really meant to carry on mantles or get developed which makes sense because we have much development and contact with both Kalecgos and Wrathion...and now I think about it, it's weird, but I like both of them.

Wrathion reminds me of a more likeable chilled out version of Illidan, morally grey ish, but it's more like a good guy who is very clever, but doesnt always know how to do thi gs correctly because he doesnt have the maturity or empathy fully developed yet, something perhaps the Anduin bromance teaches him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I'm kind if curious how much of this transition that happened at MoP -> WoD with respect to Wrathion was actually intended ahead of time. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some ham-fisted attempt to have us go to alternate Draenor by used Wrathion as the motivation... because as he was originally established, I think even free Garrosh to go to an alternate universe and get the Iron Horde going was way too much of a leap in recklessness. Perhaps there was something in the original WoD story that would've changed or altered how things got perceived in the end, but we'll never know. Not much we can do about what's canon now, I just never thought it made too much sense.

In some respects, Wrathion sort of plays out like a Denathrius in terms of demeanor, but Wrathion shows more of his youth through his actions and flaws compared to Denathrius. Both have arrogance, but it comes from different places with the two... and both are flamboyant to some degree. He's interesting and a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of the brooding and overly serious personalities we get with most male characters in WoW. I'd even go so far that he's more morally gray than Sylvannas ever was, as he at least always had a clear goal that was for the greater good,

Regardless, I hope that Blizz does not even hint at shipping or something more than a bromance with Anduin. Getting tired of writing direction in narratives even outside of WoW that there's no such thing as a platonic relationship between men that are close. Wouldn't put it past Blizz to have some off-comment by Wrathion imply some unrequited romantic interest in Anduin just to score points.

- - - Updated - - -
    Well, Wrathion is already huge bait for the shippers crowd and Yaoi crowd, not to mention the LGBT crowd who still want their main character representation.

However, those two also the only genuine bromance friendship the game's character arca offer. Question is, is this sacrrd enough for blizzard to preserve and deny the diversity and inclusion demand?

Whiles other bromances can be developed and other characters made gay, they find themselves in the position of having a well enough established pair that can work well for either route, that is not easy to create especially in this medium.

I wonder what they will do? Anduin's popularity is low enough they might sacrifice him to that, and Wrathion already has a bad boy rascal image that can really fit the role too, not to mention when contrast against the clean good boy image of Anduin that now has that tortured side due to his experience and both have just the right degree of popularity - there isnt a stronger pair for same sex relationship, nor is there a stronger pair for bromance friendship.

I dont think people care enough about the two characters to fuss if they turned gaym but I cant also help but get annoyed or feel disappointed that two guys cannot have a deep loving but 100% platonic relationship in modern media without being made gay for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    For me he's a believable "good" black dragon. Him being purified didn't instantly make him exactly like a red dragon say. He, like his evil kin, was arrogant and underhanded.

In dnd terms: I like that his chatoic "good" over say lawful "good".
    I'd totally call him lawful, since he follows the code of protecting the highmountain people and advising the chieftain.

- - - Updated - - -

If he hadn't done what he did Sargeras would've shown up in our sky and killed us all and there was nothing we could've done about it.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I didn't even know who Ebonhorn was until I read this thread. As a casual lore enjoyer, I know of Wrathion and his deeds without needing to look at a wiki.

Why would I prefer a character that has had practically no effort put into him?

3+ Year Old Account
    Any ideas? Why is he special? And do you really like how he has developed, character arc, from origin to current, Why do you like him or don't like him? What made Wrathion and Andruid work, but not say Me'dan. Not many successful younger characters in warcraftfor sure.

Also who would you prefer for Black Aspect/ Wrathion or Ebonhorn? Does Ebon want to leave the Highmountain?
    Son of Deathwing? Helloooooo!

I really like Wrathion, I just get tired of the shippers.
    confirmed by my uncle nitnendo and masahiro samurai

Although I am not a big fan of the character myself, his being touted as the last 'pure', being like the heir of Neltharion in a way, it stands to reason that he would be very important. I like Ebonhorn, but I like Sabellian more. haha

It isn't that different from having Kalecgos as the most important blue dragon. Just like Wrathion, although in a much less dire situation, he was one of the last survivors of his dragonflight, so he was very important.

What I can't understand about Wrathion is that he was able to have lots of support and had his own 'tiny faction' working for him for some reason. Being so young and the Black Dragonflight being always so vile, it didn't really make that much sense to have him have his protectors and spies and such.

He became a tool to put Anduin in the spotlight even more, and that is his role in the story however sad that may be.