Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    For me he's a believable "good" black dragon. Him being purified didn't instantly make him exactly like a red dragon say. He, like his evil kin, was arrogant and underhanded.

In dnd terms: I like that his chatoic "good" over say lawful "good".
    I think there's an argument for lawful neutral. In MoP his entire motivation is to prepare us for a Legion invasion, and the Legion are the literal embodiment of Chaos. He was willing to sacrifice anyone/anything to oppose Chaos. He wanted one faction to subsume the other in order for Azeroth to be prepared for the Legion's return - as opposed to them existing separately.

I'd say Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, maybe even Lawful Evil would be the prime contenders.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Isn't everyone susceptible to the void? AMD if his flight more so because they govern the earth and are closer to the prison of the old gods, that makes Ebonhorn also susceptible and he hasn't been tested to the extent Wrathion has, I mean even maddened Nelthation didnt face an unleashed old god like Wrathion did and overcome, surely that puts him ahead, and his scheming was to save, not destroy.
    Everyone is susceptible to corruption from another force to some extent (i.e.: Felblood Elves from Fel, Nightborne from Arcane), but the problem comes down to Wrathion being one who has succumbed. This is notable because the Old Gods, and the Void more generally, typically exploit some inherent flaw in the person rather than physically changing them. Deathwing, for instance, serves the Old Gods because of his resentment to the weight of his Aspect. For those who are unaware, the Aspects they were given was both a blessing and a curse, granting the Dragons immense power while also burdening them with flaws inherent to that Aspect. In the case of Deathwing, he felt the weight of the earth bearing down on him, causing him eternal physical pain. Wrathion succumbing is a sign that there is some inherent, exploitable flaw that can be used against him.

We can also use some anecdotal evidence from the case of Domination magic, where we know that Bolvar's ability to resist Zovaal waned each time he had to interact with the Helm of Domination; scars might seem as though they build up resistance in the region, but they're a weaker form of tissue. I think it would be fair to say that the whispers of the Void, or direct attempts to control people using Void magic, likely follows a similar principle in that the more it bears down on you, the weaker your resistance becomes.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

One other thing to note since you mentioned Med'an. Med'an was only featured in comics and so far only one Blizz employee kept suggesting that there was a place for Med'an to show up, but said employee is no longer working for Blizz. Most of the old employees tried to see if they could make him work but so far they haven't found anything. Though he may be "canon" as are his exploits, there is this feeling that Blizz may have unintentionally created an overpowered being that they can't give an answer for.

Med'an's case is that he was... too powerful. This is a character who is the child of Garona and Medivh, meaning he's 1/3rd Orc, 1/3rd Draenei from Garona's side and half human from Medivh. Coupled with the fact that Maraad and Meryl Firestorm as his mentors, Med'an was capable of wielding Shamanistic and Arcane power and combined the two into one while also wielding Holy power on the side. Along with having both Medivh and the power of the First Guardian at his disposal.

Had he existed up to this point, he would've pretty much put everyone out of work and stopped any sort of threat that came our way. He is by all accounts, the most Gary Sue character of WoW. There's even an easter egg in the 3rd Volume of the Chronicles where he's on page 404, but that page doesn't exist similar to an error 404 page on a website.

If he ever wants to be featured in the game, he's going to have to go through a massive character rework.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    huh?correct me if im wrong or missed something,but wasnt the fact that the legion thing happened so soon basicaly ended up saving everything?if we didnt go to argus sargeras would have completed his pantheon thing
    Not to mention the Legion invasion was happening whether or not WoD took place. The events of WOD only escalated or exposed the Legion invasion sooner and prepared us for it. We can't blame Wrathion for the Legion invasion. If anything he saved Azeroth by giving us a "heads up"

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post
    Not to mention the Legion invasion was happening whether or not WoD took place. The events of WOD only escalated or exposed the Legion invasion sooner and prepared us for it. We can't blame Wrathion for the Legion invasion. If anything he saved Azeroth by giving us a "heads up"
    no,if wod didnt happen the invasion wouldnt either,archimonde sent AU guldan to normal time and he was barely convinced to help them

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

I will never understand this millennial obsession with "character arcs".
    This isn't a new thing at all. Character arcs have been a thing in literature since literature has existed. It just means a character is progressing through the narrative with noticeable change along the way. That's something that should happen in any story that has a significant character.

Odysseus has a character arc in The Iliad that is expanded upon in the entirety of The Odyssey.

Gilgamesh had a character arc throughout the many tablets of The Epic of Gilgamesh.

There are character arcs in Journey to the West, Romance of Three Kingdoms, Norse mythology, Romeo and Juliet, fairy talls, and nearly everything else.

Arcs should especially be noticeable when a character appears multiple times, whether that's across multiple stories, movies, games, etc.

This is where Wrathion comes in. He has appeared since Catavlysm, and he has already had arcs. He went from wanting to wipe out his flight, to wanting to prepare Azeroth for the Legion, to being the reason the Iron Horde was formed, to wanting to dispose of N'zoth, to wanting to do whatever he does in Draginflight. It's a natural and absolutely fine question to ask what will be next in his story. He shouldn't be a stagnant character, since he never has been.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2022-04-23 at 09:01 AM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post
    You're correct in that Wrathion's actions accelerated the time at which the Legion could invade, but this only aided the Legion. The Legion is unable to covertly invade and requires large, cumbersome rituals or portals to summon their forces. This means that the Legion cannot really gain the initiative as we will be aware of their rituals at some point, such as by the Kirin Tor or the Blue Dragonflight noticing large Arcane disturbances. Regarding Khadgar pursuing Gul'dan, that didn't really help us and, if anything, made matters worse. Gul'dan was likely going to keep the power he had taken from the Tomb of Sargeras, and it was only because he was being pushed by Khadgar and Maiev that he opted to open the portal for the Legion, essentially meaning that our advanced warning was what caused the Legion's invasion in the first place. What's worse is that our advanced warning didn't matter, as the combined forces of the Alliance and Horde were very handily defeated at the Broken Shore. If it wasn't for Sargeras' apparent apathy towards our presence on Argus, we would have lost. It would probably be apt to say that we didn't win so much as Sargeras lost; we didn't overcome the Legion because we were more powerful, we overcame the Legion because Sargeras didn't choose to intervene (for whatever reason).
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I think there's an argument for lawful neutral. In MoP his entire motivation is to prepare us for a Legion invasion, and the Legion are the literal embodiment of Chaos. He was willing to sacrifice anyone/anything to oppose Chaos. He wanted one faction to subsume the other in order for Azeroth to be prepared for the Legion's return - as opposed to them existing separately.

I'd say Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, maybe even Lawful Evil would be the prime contenders.
    There's a big reason why I had good in quotation marks

Nothing.

Wrathion has done nothing special.

Resisting the whispers? Pathetic, Alleria Windrunner already accomplished that in Legion and is noted to be the first mortal in the history of the Cosmos to successfully defy the Shadows' whispers.

Fighting the whispers? Alleria and the Ren'dorei do it regularly, while Wrathion doesn't. He is not haunted by the whispers, he is haunted only by his ancestry.

In other words, there's really nothing that makes Wrathion special and no reason why he should be in the spotlight aside from Writer's bias.

The Black Dragonflight needs to be rebuilt? How about having those who resisted the whispers that broke Deathwing rebuild it? Instead of a whelp (isn't Wrathion literally a Dragon kid?) who can still very easily succumb to the whispers?

He is a dragon that puts him above the mortal peasants by default, some might say this is special ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Any ideas? Why is he special? And do you really like how he has developed, character arc, from origin to current, Why do you like him or don't like him? What made Wrathion and Andruid work, but not say Me'dan. Not many successful younger characters in warcraftfor sure.

Also who would you prefer for Black Aspect/ Wrathion or Ebonhorn? Does Ebon want to leave the Highmountain?
    I like Wrathion and Anduin because of MoP. They were these boys back then, promising the future of WoW.

Anduin became this loser in SL and the storyarc killed the "boy". But Wrathion represents the old times for me - hes appreance in BFA was also a cool rockstar, stabbing the Old God.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Nothing.

Wrathion has done nothing special.

Resisting the whispers? Pathetic, Alleria Windrunner already accomplished that in Legion and is noted to be the first mortal in the history of the Cosmos to successfully defy the Shadows' whispers.

Fighting the whispers? Alleria and the Ren'dorei do it regularly, while Wrathion doesn't. He is not haunted by the whispers, he is haunted only by his ancestry.

In other words, there's really nothing that makes Wrathion special and no reason why he should be in the spotlight aside from Writer's bias.

The Black Dragonflight needs to be rebuilt? How about having those who resisted the whispers that broke Deathwing rebuild it? Instead of a whelp (isn't Wrathion literally a Dragon kid?) who can still very easily succumb to the whispers?
    Tyrande is here because of her storyarc and Khadgar is here, because of the blueflight. Anduin just another storyarc from SL.

But Wrathion is the son of Deathwing. He is the most fitting character along with Ebonhorn, considering a dragonthemed expansion.

Being a son of a badass dragon makes him pretty special.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-04-24 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    I preferred him when he had a turban.
    This. His new model looks absolutely horrible.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    I like Wrathion and Anduin because of MoP. They were these boys back then, promising the future of WoW.

Anduin became this loser in SL and the storyarc killed the "boy". But Wrathion represents the old times for me - hes appreance in BFA was also a cool rockstar, stabbing the Old God.

- - - Updated - - -

Tyrande is here because of her storyarc and Khadgar is here, because of the blueflight. Anduin just another storyarc from SL.

But Wrathion is the son of Deathwing. He is the most fitting character along with Ebonhorn, considering a dragonthemed expansion.

Being a son of a badass dragon makes him pretty special.
    So is Sabellian and yet you don't see him in this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    So is Sabellian and yet you don't see him in this expansion.
    So is so many other minor characters, they didn't decide to have in.

Wrathion has atleast 4 expansion with direct impact on the storyarc. This gives him mandate.

Yeh, Anduin's absence might mean no Anduin-Wrathion development, which is odd since Wrathion would be playing a large role, I guess he is busy with his flight, but it's a chance to show how Anduin, affected by his SL experience might be changed.. no better way to show this than through your relationship with friends.

They can easily determine what direction they want to take the ANduin/wrathion friendship, especially if he is no longer King of Stormwind.

Anduin became this loser
    When he grew up to become a Purity Sue and writer's political mouthpiece, eager to throw his people and allies under the bus in his rush to comfort and care for the Horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

In my case I hate him. Thanks to his betray Anduin almost die, and Jaina too.

Varian is death because of him

I dont liek traitors.

So I am glad that Anduin didnt appear in Dragonflight. I wish he could have killed Wrathion with Shalamayne in 8.3 insead of just a punch.

And not, like Varodoc said. Wrathion is not special.