Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Primal Incarnates, another idea copied from Final Fantasy XIV?

I just realized the main enemy that we will be dealing with in Dragonflight will be the Primal Incarnates.

These are dragons, that embody a certain element, who are hostile to the other Dragonflights, so they were locked away. Sounds familiar?

The primals in FF14 (even the name is the same) are summoned entities, incarnations of a certain element, often popular summons from other Final Fantasy games, who in some cases have been imprisoned by certain races, because they were too dangerous or because they wanted to harness their energy. One of the most famous and most powerful ones, Bahamut, is a dragon. As well as Shinryu, who was summoned in Stormblood.

Even with the comparison not being 100% accurate, I'm getting the feeling they took this idea from Final Fantasy.

You think that "element based dragons" which has been a thing for decades, was stolen from Final Fantasy.

Is it that no one reads books anymore? Or do people really think these things? Am I just old as shit?

Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    You think that "element based dragons" which has been a thing for decades, was stolen from Final Fantasy.

Is it that no one reads books anymore? Or do people really think these things? Am I just old as shit?
    You need to read the post.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sambubu View Post
    I just realized the main enemy that we will be dealing with in Dragonflight will be the Primal Incarnates.

These are dragons, that embody a certain element, who are hostile to the other Dragonflights, so they were locked away. Sounds familiar?

The primals in FF14 (even the name is the same) are summoned entities, incarnations of a certain element, often popular summons from other Final Fantasy games, who in some cases have been imprisoned by certain races, because they were too dangerous or because they wanted to harness their energy. One of the most famous and most powerful ones, Bahamut, is a dragon. As well as Shinryu, who was summoned in Stormblood.

Even with the comparison not being 100% accurate, I'm getting the feeling they took this idea from Final Fantasy.
    Where did you find the information about the main enemy in DF? Only thing I remember are magical giants or something

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Where did you find the information about the main enemy in DF? Only thing I remember are magical giants or something
    Front page and WoW website.

FFXIV invented ancient evils?

You need to read the post.
    You need to know what you're talking about.

The bosses of the -first raid- are elemental dragons, not for the whole expansion.

WoW has had elemental based dragons before.

Final Fantasy, let alone XIV, did not invent the concept of 'primal elementals' or 'elemental dragons'.

5+ Year Old Account

Did Guild Wars 2 copy elemental dragons with their Elder Dragons? The first one, Primordus was depicted in the original Guild Wars back in 2007. So did FFXIV copy Guild Wars? Or is an elemental dragon just not a particularly original creation in any RPG?
    I just think Ebonhorn is quite neat.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    summoned entities, incarnations of a certain elements? sounds alot like ragnaros, FFxiv should stop really stop copying wow.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Who cares, they can steal more let's just hope it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    summoned entities, incarnations of a certain elements? sounds alot like ragnaros, FFxiv should stop really stop copying wow.
    You'll find Final fantasy pulls from its own sources and across it's back catalogue but again who cares, it's not a competition, as long as it's good that's what should matter.

Quote Originally Posted by s1ns View Post
    It's the combination of things. They are called primals, they are incarnations of certain elements, and they were locked away cause they were too dangerous. That's enough to say they they took the idea from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ns View Post
    It's the combination of things. They are called primals, they are incarnations of certain elements, and they were locked away cause they were too dangerous. That's enough to say that they took the idea from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexjimithing View Post
    The bosses of the -first raid- are elemental dragons, not for the whole expansion.
    Irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexjimithing View Post
    WoW has had elemental based dragons before.

Final Fantasy, let alone XIV, did not invent the concept of 'primal elementals' or 'elemental dragons'.
    It's not about elemental dragons. It's about the combination of all these elements.

Sounds like elemental lords, which is a fantasy trope going back decades. Also, Bahamut in FF is directly taken from Dungeons and Dragons, which itself is taken from Arabic mythology. None of these concepts are anywhere close to new.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Copying ideas isnt new however I will give the OP one bit of credit to be honest.

It does feel very on-the-nose that:

1. The Dragon Riding skill is blatantly a gryphon mount GW2 ripoff.

2. The Dragon Theme is probably because the devs played the FFXIV free trial, and the idea of primal evils probably inspired them.

3. Yes, blizzard has very often stolen other peoples ideas in the past.

That being said?

None of those things are origional no matter who made them. Blizzards interpritation of them could be good, or bad, ill hold my breathe and give the expansion a wide berth and after a month ill see if people feel positive about it or not.

Irrelevant.
    Oh you mean the entire basis of my post and the completely inaccurate sentence in my post is wrong?

lol irrelevant

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    Sounds like elemental lords, which is a fantasy trope going back decades. Also, Bahamut in FF is directly taken from Dungeons and Dragons, which itself is taken from Arabic mythology. None of these concepts are anywhere close to new.
    You'd swear these FF diehards thought Final Fantasy invented the concept of Gods.
    I just think Ebonhorn is quite neat.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBlou View Post
    You'd swear these FF diehards thought Final Fantasy invented the concept of Gods.
    Remember when Gandalf fell fighting the Balrog?

Tolkien estate should prob be paying Yoshi-P royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    2. The Dragon Theme is probably because the devs played the FFXIV free trial, and the idea of primal evils probably inspired them.
    Except the WoW devs have openly played FFXIV since it first came out. So your theory is dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by JDBlou View Post
    Final Fantasy invented the concepts of
    1. Fantasy
    2. RPG
    3. MMO
    4. Narrative
    5. Naruto Running

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Jeez, you need to get a life.

dragons or other mythic entitites each ascociated with an element or color is a classic trope in pop culture

stuff like you go to the northern mountains to beat the red/fire dragon and then to the western ocean to beat the blue/water dragon and then to the eastern desert to beat the air/white dragon and to the southern swamps for the black/earth dragon and then some final boss that combines the power of all dragon is a plot summary for a fantastic amount of games out there

and it's not like the dragon flights or their colors and ascociated elements were a recent introduction to warcraft so i'm going with no to your question