Page 7 of 297 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My position is the same as it was. Twitter USA private company it can do as it pleases, sell t whomever it pleases. It didn’t bother me then doesn’t bother me now. If I don’t like it I’ll leave with no drama and enjoy something else.

Elon Musk is a obviously a moron and having his ego stroked is only going to lead to his own personal downfall.

From a business standpoint though. This acquisition is probably the stupidest move one could make.

Twitter is not worth $54 billion. It’s a dying platform being bested by app such as TikTok. The only way I could be pissed is if my money was tied up with his. Otherwise I wouldn’t be too surprised if he sells it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why? Because conservatives couldn't make a "freeze peach" social media platform and had to buy a "restricted speech" platform instead?

I don't give a shit about Twitter, yo. It's garbage to begin with. I'm just here laughing at how kinda silly and pathetic this is, especially with conservatives now rallying around their new superstar.

Lol yeah that’s the thing people on the Alt-Right don’t get. Gabi, Parler etc failed because it’s a dying concept. People are moving on.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why? Because conservatives couldn't make a "freeze peach" social media platform and had to buy a "restricted speech" platform instead?

I don't give a shit about Twitter, yo. It's garbage to begin with. I'm just here laughing at how kinda silly and pathetic this is, especially with conservatives now rallying around their new superstar.
    the liberal restricted speech platform will be a great success though, it's a tried and true formula.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    My position is the same as it was. Twitter USA private company it can do as it pleases, sell t whomever it pleases. It didn’t bother me then doesn’t bother me now. If I don’t like it I’ll leave with no drama and enjoy something else.

Elon Musk is a obviously a moron and having his ego stroked is only going to lead to his own personal downfall.

From a business standpoint though. This acquisition is probably the stupidest move one could make.

Twitter is not worth $54 billion. It’s a dying platform being bested by app such as TikTok. The only way I could be pissed is if my money was tied up with his. Otherwise I wouldn’t be too surprised if he sells it.
    I'm reminded of when Yahoo bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion, made a bunch of content policy changes, and then 6 years later their new parent company (Verizon) sold it off for a whopping $3 million or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Branflakes6000 View Post
    the liberal restricted speech platform will be a great success though, it's a tried and true formula.
    Speech is always restricted. And private platforms are always entitled to set standards for the use of their services. You're not defending freedom of speech, here, you're just attacking basic property rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Speech is always restricted. And private platforms are always entitled to set standards for the use of their services. You're not defending freedom of speech, here, you're just attacking basic property rights.
    this nitpicking is cope, you know what I mean. elon is entitled to make his platform more free, that part is correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fuck all this "digital town square" bullshit.
    Not just that, but why is everyone championing Elon Musk as the President of Free Speech when the guy has threatened someone over their reviews of Tesla cars? And let's not forget the time he had sent his internet mob against an AP reporter for making an article on Tesla recalls, or how he called the diver who saved kids in the Thai cave disaster a "Pedo", or how he literally slandered one of the real cofounders of Tesla (note: he literally sued the cofounders to be also listed as a founder). Like, the guys a piece of shit who embodies the "rules for thee, but not for me" concept.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow ban, censorship bs conspiracy. The great thing about this are that morons cheering Musk are going to learn the hard way or turn on him.

Musk just bout $54 billion failing liability based on his ego and emotion to be a personality.

Musk might unban some people but he still going to enforce the same standards or risk actually being sued. And since he is on record calling it a public square it’s going to backfire because it’s not.

If he allows the kind of shit Alex Jones did he’s going to get sued too.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reminded of when Yahoo bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion, made a bunch of content policy changes, and then 6 years later their new parent company (Verizon) sold it off for a whopping $3 million or so.
    Pretty good example of what will happen here and when his so called fans start breathing down his neck also about the nonsense going on with Disney lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    this nitpicking is cope, you know what I mean.
    Nope. There is no "nitpicking"; you're just really, really wrong about a bunch of really, really basic shit.

elon is entitled to make his platform more free, that part is correct.
    Yes, as the owner, he's entitled to control the access to his platform.

There has been literally no change in this, and failing to understand that demonstrates how little you actually understand these basic concepts. Twitter is not "more free", it's exactly as free as it always was; it offers services to whoever it chooses to and who abides by its terms of service.

There is no "right to free speech" on Twitter. Whether before Elon's purchase of the platform, or after. Nothing has materially changed. At best, Elon might adjust the terms of service, but the idea that users will still be bound by the terms of service has not changed, and the fact that many forms of speech are not protected in the first place and must, by law, be removed from Twitter will not change either.

Nope. There is no "nitpicking"; you're just really, really wrong about a bunch of really, really basic shit.

Yes, as the owner, he's entitled to control the access to his platform.

There has been literally no change in this, and failing to understand that demonstrates how little you actually understand these basic concepts. Twitter is not "more free", it's exactly as free as it always was; it offers services to whoever it chooses to and who abides by its terms of service.
    if the ToS becomes less restrictive, the platform becomes more free for the users. there's nothing to misunderstand there.

10+ Year Old Account
    if the ToS becomes less restrictive, the platform becomes more free for the users. there's nothing to misunderstand there.
    What you're saying is just obviously false.

You're still beholden to whatever the service owner wants to allow on their service. Sure, that might change, but your freedoms haven't. Just like they don't if the service owner chooses to add a restriction.

That you don't understand this demonstrates that you really don't understand what freedom of speech even is. Because freedom of speech or your rights in general aren't in play, here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    We are not arguing what Free Speech is. We are arguing your lack of admiration and respect for it, by calling it "Freeze Peach". Desingenuous suits you poorly.
    Dude, you live in fucking Portugal, your constitution does not include freedom of speech, nor does the EU require member nations provide it. Freedom of expression is broader in scope, and every country in the West with freedom of expression puts reasonable limitations on this speech to stop harmful behaviors, such as direct calls for violence. The idea that private companies will sometimes say "Yeah, we don't want people spamming other users with racial epithets" and bans them isn't some attempt to attack speech, but to stop inappropriate conduct on their platform.

Before anyone says "But no one said anything about racial language, we're just talking about free speech", I'm not interested in this weird gaslighting. Speech like racialized language, harassing language, and the knowing spread of misinformation are the kind of speech which is receiving restrictions. These platforms are not restricting your ability to disagree with abortion or make controversial statements, they just don't want people doing or saying things that are actively harmful to others.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Give examples of what is restrictive now vs what won’t be.

Because nothing happens s going to change. Except Elon hold all the liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    No one has taken Fox News seriously outside of the USA since Bush. They are living rent free in your head though. Waste of space, my man.
    You know, outside of the US fox news is a totally normal news station. They nearly repeat verbatim what for example, the BBC says on foreign issues.

I do not remember seeing thinks like Tucker Carlson hour or w/e his bit is aired outside so there is obviously an export version.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

What you're saying is just obviously false.

You're still beholden to whatever the service owner wants to allow on their service. Sure, that might change, but your freedoms haven't. Just like they don't if the service owner chooses to add a restriction.

That you don't understand this demonstrates that you really don't understand what freedom of speech even is. Because freedom of speech or your rights in general aren't in play, here.
    What freedoms are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    What freedoms are you talking about?
    Freedom of speech.

In no way affected by Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter, as freedom of speech was never a consideration for Twitter in the first place, outside of a VERY few specific instances and, generally, not in the way you probably think.

Pretty good example of what will happen here and when his so called fans start breathing down his neck also about the nonsense going on with Disney lol.
    Just like they scream "woke mob cancel culture" ruins Twitter, when Elon Musk makes Twitter a shithole, they'll scream it's "woke mob cancel culture" that ruined Twitter. These guys have absolutely. zero. self awareness.

Freedom of speech.

In no way affected by Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter, as freedom of speech was never a consideration for Twitter in the first place, outside of a VERY few specific instances and, generally, not in the way you probably think.
    I'm purely talking about what I'm free to do on any given website, that is dictated by its rules/ToS. I'm not talking about my freedom as an american citizen. If rules aren't as restrictive, I am less restricted in my on-site activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give examples of what is restrictive now vs what won’t be.

Because nothing happens s going to change. Except Elon hold all the liability.
    My primary concern is him saying "well, it's free speech" while letting people spread unfettered lies, because apathy is easy for someone with billions of dollars.

At least within the US, that misinformation was incredibly harmful in 2016, 2020 and over the course of COVID. Twitter already was doing the bare minimum to combat them.

More topically, how much less concrete would US support for Ukraine if Trump had been allowed a platform to spread Russian disinformation on the daily, rather than his second-hand, sporadic statements kicked out.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    My primary concern is him saying "well, it's free speech" while letting people spread unfettered lies, because apathy is easy for someone with billions of dollars.

At least within the US, that misinformation was incredibly harmful in 2016, 2020 and over the course of COVID. Twitter already was doing the bare minimum to combat them.

More topically, how much less concrete would US support for Ukraine if Trump had been allowed a platform to spread Russian disinformation on the daily, rather than his second-hand, sporadic statements kicked out.
    unfettered? the reply and quote tweet buttons are right there. ratio them with or without facts and logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm purely talking about what I'm free to do on any given website, that is dictated by its rules/ToS. I'm not talking about my freedom as an american citizen. If rules aren't as restrictive, I am less restricted in my on-site activities.
    You set out talking about "restricted speech".

Twitter's moderation doesn't affect your speech rights or freedoms in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    unfettered? the reply and quote tweet buttons are right there. ratio them with or without facts and logic.
    The people who are influenced by this kind of rapid misinformation aren't going to be swayed by informational retorts.

All of the COVID misinformation- horse dewormer, UVs, 5G, vaccine misinformation- all of that HAD logical rebukes out the wazoo. But people didn't bother to read those, because they heard the headline or tweet or whatever that solidified their worldview and they stopped at that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.